P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

This morning's Amazon delivery contained goose fat and organic bread flour - it's becoming a very useful addition to the big supermarkets

I have to agree with you there Harry about Amazon Prime. We used it to purchase everything  we needed when we refurbished the house. 

I no longer buy my risotto or jasmine rice, pasta, sesame oil, oyster and soy sauces etc from the supermarket.  Amazon have a wide choice and the quality and price is excellent. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

Fish and chips here about £8 for a regular portion, a bit more for large. I have no idea what they are in St. Ives, but I expect they are more!!

Have been up to Tesco and quite a few of their shelves are empty.  I couldn't get the wine I usually buy either, so am trying some alternatives! Did get a turkey crown for next week, which was the main reason to go. Everyone seemed to wearing masks too.😀

Just having a bit to eat before I head off to work in a while. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Nice area, North Norfolk - but £18.95 to take away?  Have the Chelsea set really driven prices that high?  I don't think even Padstein's that bad!

Around the £8 mark round here, takeaway, a bit more for a larger fish.  Haddock's the standard, rather than the southern Cod - most people won't eat Cod where it used to be caught. It's regarded as a 'dirty' fish.  Skin off mostly in the north, but presumably still skin on in the south.

Visited No 1 Cromer a couple of years back after seeing the reviews, but it was a huge disappointment.  Much better fish and chips to be had in Sheringham.  All a matter of personal taste and choice, though, isn't it.

Prices here are ridiculous because as you suggest the coast especially Wells, Brancaster exploded from early 2009/10 I think. That has spread to other towns inland. Here in Holt, which I think of as a very small town, house prices are through the roof especially after Covid saw many run to their second homes here and many others thought it a good safe option. This knocks on to everything although I have to admit having just returned from the fish shop where cod and chips were from £13.95 (child). £18.95 is for monkfish and chips (small) so I did get that wrong  The server told me I have to remember they only open for 7-8 months per year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ccpm said:

Lovely day here and I am just back from Sheringham where I got the enhanced digital passport submission done. Really easy took less than 15 minutes. Hoping I will get it within the 8-9 weeks it is before I sail.

Good luck with that. I did mine though the post office where they took the digital photo. It actually looked a bit like me and I got my new passport back in 10 days.

• Like 1

Just now, zap99 said:

Good luck with that. I did mine though the post office where they took the digital photo. It actually looked a bit like me and I got my new passport back in 10 days.

That is exactly my experience of the digital process at the Post Office and well worth the extra money. Hopefully mine will come back in 10 days too. Then just need to order the new LFT when available, do the PLF and decide whether to coach or drive.

31 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Prices here are ridiculous because as you suggest the coast especially Wells, Brancaster exploded from early 2009/10 I think. That has spread to other towns inland. Here in Holt, which I think of as a very small town, house prices are through the roof especially after Covid saw many run to their second homes here and many others thought it a good safe option. This knocks on to everything although I have to admit having just returned from the fish shop where cod and chips were from £13.95 (child). £18.95 is for monkfish and chips (small) so I did get that wrong  The server told me I have to remember they only open for 7-8 months per year.

We have friends in Wells. They’ve been there since the late 70s and tell the same story. On the plus side, their large old house not far from The Buttlands is now essentially a pension plan in itself. Lovely area though, and Holt is a delightful place.

We were staying in Salthouse a couple of years back on holiday and had fish and chips once from Eric’s on Fish Hill in Holt. Not bad, as I recall, and catered for my vegetarian family members too! You have a very nice deli too!

On a completely different tack, some years ago when we were staying not far away, our young daughter had quite a nasty eye infection. The surgery at Holt was exceptional. You might have had some connection with it.  If so, thanks!

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Dirty talk, Avril? I’m shocked! 😱

Now now Harry, you know what I meant. I was just finding a way around the  computor 'censor' and helping out my bro as in 'kok-eyed octopus' 😇

Avril

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You just upset all our Chinese members though,bro.

Don't you get upset though Brian you have better things to do before winter sets in .

Like checking your Peggler cockstop valves are in perfect working order :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Don't you get upset though Brian you have better things to do before winter sets in .

Like checking your Peggler cockstop valves are in perfect working order :classic_smile:

You got away with that one mate.I called a load of Yanks arsy on another board earlier.They didn't have a clue,they will now though,lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Hardly a northern coloquialism, have you never seen South Pacific or listened to its music which includes  "A cockeyed optimist".

Oh,it's a Yank thing then.Yeah,and you can spell.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Looking at Arcadia.

There is rust in places but looks in reasonable condition considering how long she has been out of service.

Graham.

IMG_20211016_152832.jpg

IMG_20211016_152945.jpg

IMG_20211016_152433.jpg

Still as lovely as she ever was to my eyes, Graham. Great to see her again.

We should have been on her in the Med now😢

Avril

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Still as lovely as she ever was to my eyes, Graham. Great to see her again.

We should have been on her in the Med now😢

Avril

Sorry to hear that Avril.

Several of the cabins were in use and those cabins had furniture on the balcony.

Graham.