P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Any guesses as to where I had lunch today?

Truth be told, it wasn't as good as usual

Lucky chap, Wowzz - seriously tempted! 

Is the main restaurant open, and how well are they handling the distancing stuff?

What was up with it?  The food's usually perfect.

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Lucky chap, Wowzz - seriously tempted! 

Is the main restaurant open, and how well are they handling the distancing stuff?

What was up with it?  The food's usually perfect.

As Eddie says, the chips were not great - lots scrappy bits of potato rather that full size chips. The amount of batter was a bit much as well, although the cod itself was fine. And, they ran out of tomato sauce! 

I would guess they have taken out about 50% of the tables.  This meant that "walk ins" were waiting a long time for a table,  especially as customers are now asked to make reservations in advance, as we did. Obviously as those with reservations arrived, the walk ins were pushed back in the queue. Some people had waited an hour and were more than a little upset. 

Having said that, all the staff were masks, some poor chap had the unenviable job of standing by the loos to make sure that only one person went inside at a time, and the tables were vigorously cleaned between each sitting.

So a nice day out, the sun was shining, but I think we'll wait until the autumn before our next visit.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Any guesses as to where I had lunch today?

Truth be told, it wasn't as good as usual

IMG_20200721_135338294.jpg

IMG_20200721_134538607_HDR.jpg

Ah,so that's tripe and onions is it.Give me a bowl of jellied eels any day,lol.

Kalos - the devil is in the detail. Go into Aldi - wear a mask. Go into Greggs to buy a take away sausage roll - no mask. Go into Clinton's to buy a birthday card - wear a mask. Go into a gym - no mask. 

I could go on and on, but there is just no logic to the current guide lines. And the employees don't need to wear a mask at all!

I'm not anti mask per se, but there needs to be some sort of common sense here, otherwise we will be all sucked into a Gove universe that has no relationship to reality.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Kalos - the devil is in the detail. Go into Aldi - wear a mask. Go into Greggs to buy a take away sausage roll - no mask. Go into Clinton's to buy a birthday card - wear a mask. Go into a gym - no mask. 

I could go on and on, but there is just no logic to the current guide lines. And the employees don't need to wear a mask at all!

I'm not anti mask per se, but there needs to be some sort of common sense here, otherwise we will be all sucked into a Gove universe that has no relationship to reality.

Too late Wowzz, for some they are all ready there :classic_mellow::classic_unsure: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

And there are reports today that suggest you will be required to wear a mask to buy your Greggs sausage roll, apparently the message has changed. Also you will not be able to buy food from a counter and sit down to eat it in the shop. My favourite local costa is reopening soon in the indoor shopping centre, apart from beverages they sell sandwiches etc etc. So if the latest rule 'clarification' is correct you will have to leave the premises and the shopping centre (they have a masks only policy) to eat the sarny, but you can stay inside to drink the coffee. The solution is they will have to operate a waiter service. If you want to eat with your coffee you get shown to a table and a waiter takes your order.

Simple eh😕😁

17 minutes ago, davecttr said:

And there are reports today that suggest you will be required to wear a mask to buy your Greggs sausage roll, apparently the message has changed. Also you will not be able to buy food from a counter and sit down to eat it in the shop. My favourite local costa is reopening soon in the indoor shopping centre, apart from beverages they sell sandwiches etc etc. So if the latest rule 'clarification' is correct you will have to leave the premises and the shopping centre (they have a masks only policy) to eat the sarny, but you can stay inside to drink the coffee. The solution is they will have to operate a waiter service. If you want to eat with your coffee you get shown to a table and a waiter takes your order.

Simple eh😕😁

You wonder if anyone in this government couid actually run a business. Giving "clarification" less than 24 hours before a new law comes into effect is just hopeless!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

- the devil is in the detail. Go into Aldi - wear a mask. 

Or not, as the case may be. Please yourself really. The supermarkets are saying they won't stop you entering either way. So what's the point???😕

Avril 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Or not, as the case may be. Please yourself really. The supermarkets are saying they won't stop you entering either way. So what's the point???😕

Avril 

Avril

Maybe the reason that day 130 we are still in lock down.

My lungs would not take the hit.

Care home would be the only option for OH.

Choices?

We have none!

Edited by mercury7289

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

You wonder if anyone in this government couid actually run a business. Giving "clarification" less than 24 hours before a new law comes into effect is just hopeless!

I assume that its the Sir Humphrey characters that are writing the rules/guidance advice, and if they operate true to his form they will be relishing any confusion that they cause.  Keeps the minister from thinking about making any changes that would affect their control.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Bit difficult for the supermarkets as there are quite a few exemptions and, as far as I can find out, you don't need to show proof that you are in the exempted group.

No you don't,  and the supermarkets say they won't embarrass customers by asking them either. This hasn't been very well thought out. Another u-turn on it's way?  There are way too many chiefs and not enough Indians at the moment, and everyone of them speaking at the same time and contradicting each other. We shall  continue to use our own commonsense. Much safer, less confusing😷.

Avril 

• Like 1

A spot more delving under stones has produced several online "download and print yourself" exemption cards on various organisations' websites, displaying a rather touching, if slightly misplaced, faith in human nature.

Edited by AnnieC

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Just got back from Aldi. Big sign at the door as,ing people to wear masks, and most people were indeed wearing them (including me). I think peer pressure  is more likely to make people wear masks than any law.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Simple really,no mask no entry to any shops.Some supermarket security guards here have guns.I can't see the problem,we've been doing this for months.

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Perhaps the guns are the key!

Yes but over here in good old blighty we get confused with counting the covid deaths and all the others .

Can you imagine putting shootings into the mix :classic_unsure: ??   I don't think we are ready for this yet .:classic_wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume that its the Sir Humphrey characters that are writing the rules/guidance advice, and if they operate true to his form they will be relishing any confusion that they cause.  Keeps the minister from thinking about making any changes that would affect their control.:classic_rolleyes:

That's ludicrous.  Advisers advise,  ministers decide.

Ministers set the policy, taking advice from experts in the field and other advisors. Civil Servants then provide ministers with alternative briefing documents in accordance with the policy, and ministers decide which to use. They also decide on the final wording.

This has very little to do with what you describe as Sir Humphrey characters,  and everything to do with the ministers deciding how to tackle the virus.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kalos said:

Yes but over here in good old blighty we get confused with counting the covid deaths and all the others .

Can you imagine putting shootings into the mix :classic_unsure: ??   I don't think we are ready for this yet .:classic_wink:

The guns have always been there.I was being dramatic really.The facts speak for themselves,9 new infections in the whole of Italy in 24hrs.Everyone bides by the rules,end of.

• Like 4

•  
2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Only some of the big supermarkets.Even at the others, people obey the rules.

Pity it's not more like that here!   Too many me, me, me types unfortunately with little social conscience and a 'you can't tell me what to do' attitude.    😏

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's ludicrous.  Advisers advise,  ministers decide.

Ministers set the policy, taking advice from experts in the field and other advisors. Civil Servants then provide ministers with alternative briefing documents in accordance with the policy, and ministers decide which to use. They also decide on the final wording.

This has very little to do with what you describe as Sir Humphrey characters,  and everything to do with the ministers deciding how to tackle the virus.

Clearly I need to bow down to your superior knowledge Harry, which senior govt. post did you gain all this expert information from?

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Clearly I need to bow down to your superior knowledge Harry, which senior govt. post did you gain all this expert information from?

Thanks for acknowledging that, John.  You’ll find if you talk to any member of the SCS or the FDA that it’s correct.