P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

49 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

If things still look dodgy when we have to pay the balance we will cancel and just lose the £100 deposit of we cannot move it of take FCC.

It’s not so bad when it’s a low deposit. I paid £146 deposit for my Iona cruise for next March, so I’m quite relaxed about it.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No, we’ve never been before.

It’s one of those things we’ve always meant to do but never quite got round to doing.

We only had one cruise booked for 2020 (with Fred Olsen in March, and that was cancelled), as we were going to have a year of U.K. holidays and activities. So back in February, when life was different, we made our booking for September. I think we were going to see ‘As You Like It’.  

When we can, we will definitely rebook. 

We were due to see Much Ado About Nothing. I would definitely recommend rebooking when you can. The seats are not very comfortable, wooden benches, but we always book seats either in the back row so that we have something to lean back on, or front row seats so that we can lean forward onto the balcony railing, back row is better though. You can hire cushions to sit on too. Some people prefer to stand but I couldn't do that, for a start I'm short so wouldn't see anything much.

• Like 1

It’s one of those things we’ve always meant to do but never quite got round to doing.

We only had one cruise booked for 2020 (with Fred Olsen in March, and that was cancelled), as we were going to have a year of U.K. holidays and activities. So back in February, when life was different, we made our booking for September. I think we were going to see ‘As You Like It’.  

Edited by SarahHben
Sorry, computer seems to have had a funny 5 minutes!

Edited by SarahHben

Edited by SarahHben
It posted multiple times

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

We were due to see Much Ado About Nothing. I would definitely recommend rebooking when you can. The seats are not very comfortable, wooden benches, but we always book seats either in the back row so that we have something to lean back on, or front row seats so that we can lean forward onto the balcony railing, back row is better though. You can hire cushions to sit on too. Some people prefer to stand but I couldn't do that, for a start I'm short so wouldn't see anything much.

Thank you, that's a good tip. I think we may have been on the front row, so we would have been leaning forward.  I wouldn't have wanted to stand, getting a bit too old for that! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We called at Hotel Inn on the Lake at Glenridding on Ullswater for lunch.

We then drove up to Gretna Green Scotland.

We called at the outlet shopping first which only reopened yesterday then we popped into Gretna Green to see the famous Old Blacksmiths shop where thousands of young eloping couples have been married for over 2 hundred years and the traditional Scottish clothing shop.

It was very quiet as it only reopened yesterday but is usually buzzing with many coach tours stopping here.

It is off northbound Junction 45 of the M6 motorway about 95 miles south of Glasgow.

IMG-20200731-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20200731_135706.jpg

IMG_20200731_115456.jpg

Grub looks good there Graham,is that cod goujons.Looks better than Wowz's tripe and onions.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Cod and chips.

Lovely white fish with no skin on covered in light delicious batter.

Delicious.

Off to the White Hart in West Stockwith next week for Grimbsy cod with the pub's own beer batter. Lovely, and thanks to Rishi, only£4. 

Bottle of wine, £12, glass each, and bring the rest back to drink at home. Lovely. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Off to the White Hart in West Stockwith next week for Grimbsy cod with the pub's own beer batter. Lovely, and thanks to Rishi, only£4. 

Bottle of wine, £12, glass each, and bring the rest back to drink at home. Lovely. 

My DW told me that Rashi said it was compulsory to eat out every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday during August. I find that difficult to believe, but never argue with her 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those of you enthralled by my shed floor painting (!), I'm pleased to announce that my labours are over for another five years. I've wrapped my paintbrush in clingfilm, so it should be OK in 2025, if I can remember where I put it.

Unfortunately,  needing to bend down to paint the floor, even using my wheeled gardeners trolley, has  placed an unfortunate stress on my upper thighs. I thus have some experience of the odd twinge when I stand up.

Obviously, as a man, I am impervious to pain, but I do let out the odd moan as I get up from the sofa to replenish my glass of Merlot. 

Lady W seems to care little about my predicament,  but has kindly lent me her tube of Deep Heat. Unfortunately I may have been a little energetic when applying the aforesaid ointment, as my nether regions seem to received the "benefits" of the cream! Fortunately the washing up bowl was at hand, and the cold water seems to have soothed things down. Lady W has explained to the ambulance crew that all is well, and that my cries of pain were merely my Meatloaf  impressions. 

Good night. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Brian, too many here to remove!!  LOL  It's unbelievably busy here today.  BUT, we are making loads of money and hopefully the deficit we had earlier will decrease.  Actually mask wearing has improved a lot.  Only problem is I can't hear what they are saying through the screen!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Actually mask wearing has improved a lot.  Only problem is I can't hear what they are saying through the screen!

We said " This is a hold up ! Give us all your money now ." :classic_wink::classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know some of you are at work or sat at home wishing you were somewhere nice.

Well how about a trip to Porthmeor beach .  https://www.sloop-inn.co.uk/live-surf-cams/porthmeor-beach-live-web-camera/

or St Ives.. https://www.sloop-inn.co.uk/live-surf-cams/harbour-beach-live-web-camera/

Enjoy your day out without going  anywhere with these Webcams  :classic_smile:

Good morning all I’m feeling very cheerful this morning after a lovely day out yesterday with my son, his partner and my gorgeous grandson. It was a lovely sunny day but with a nice breeze. We went to Reculver Towers near Herne Bay and had a picnic. Husband was sadly at work so was just me 😁They even let me hold Joshua’s hand while they visited the toilets. I’m pleased to say he was perfectly fine and didn’t cry at all, phew! He’s a sociable little boy but has got a bit clingy to hisMum lately . 
When we got home John (hubby) was home so they came into our garden for an hour to see Grandad. Joshua had great fun in the sandpit I’ve got for him!

• Like 7

On the subject of DIY, I quite agree about people spending their money. I seem to have a couple of neighbours banging and drilling for hours on end 😠 

I had a friend in my garden a few days ago for coffee and a natter, luckily the neighbours were quiet that day! All we could hear was the sparrows, we’ve got so many in our garden at the moment!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Good morning all I’m feeling very cheerful this morning after a lovely day out yesterday with my son, his partner and my gorgeous grandson. It was a lovely sunny day but with a nice breeze. We went to Reculver Towers near Herne Bay and had a picnic. Husband was sadly at work so was just me 😁They even let me hold Joshua’s hand while they visited the toilets. I’m pleased to say he was perfectly fine and didn’t cry at all, phew! He’s a sociable little boy but has got a bit clingy to hisMum lately . 
When we got home John (hubby) was home so they came into our garden for an hour to see Grandad. Joshua had great fun in the sandpit I’ve got for him!

I'm so happy that you got to spend some family time with your Grandson!! 😀 Hopefully you'll see him more regularly now.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

On the subject of DIY, I quite agree about people spending their money. I seem to have a couple of neighbours banging and drilling for hours on end 😠 

I had a friend in my garden a few days ago for coffee and a natter, luckily the neighbours were quiet that day! All we could hear was the sparrows, we’ve got so many in our garden at the moment!

I know you're reasonably local to me so if you're in Parkwood, Rainham, I apologise that might be my husband  banging and drilling! 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Reculver is another of my favourite Kent places. 

We like to hop on the train to Herne Bay and then walk to Reculver, have our packed lunch and walk back again.

When the children go back to school in September, we are intending to do a couple of train trips. I was 60 in the middle of March, and I haven’t even used my Senior Railcard yet, so I’m determined to get at least a few journeys done! 

• Like 3

If the wind's in the right direction it could be my neighbour and myself you can hear,  from sunny Minster on Sea!!!! 🤥😄

I've had five roofers banging and crashing from 7.30 a couple of days last week, and she is having a patio laid and a new kitchen.

Her builders love music... luckily so do I

The sparrows have upped and left for Rainham too.

• Like 3

I'm afraid we are also contributing to the noise pollution today. The microwave gave up the ghost this morning halfway through nuking our porridge. It was built in to a cupboard with the wiring behind it. So  Frank is now in the process of knocking it out ready for the new one coming tomorrow. 🙉

Avril 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I know you're reasonably local to me so if you're in Parkwood, Rainham, I apologise that might be my husband  banging and drilling! 😬

You are extremely local to me! 

To give you an idea, this morning we walked to Dobbies for coffee, which we tend to do a couple of times a month. Other times, we like to walk to Hempstead Valley and have coffee in M&S or Costa. During lockdown we got quite inventive with our walking. We’ve been walking in Bredhurst Woods, and walking across the fields to Hartlip 

It looks as if there’s quite a few Kentish people on the forum. 

• Like 2