P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, Ranchi said:

I have just had a phone call from my niece's friend asking if I can alter a skirt for her before lunchtime tomorrow.  DH has  asked me whether any of the younger people we know can do anything useful.

F0494DFF-AF09-4907-A8D2-E1B265F465A0.webp

How true is that!!! My daughter gives me clothes to alter for the grandchildren. I don’t understand why she can’t do it, she did GCSE textiles. It’s a sign if the times I think, younger people do not seem to “mend”

Michelle

I have to agree with you Michelle. My daughter has three boys. I have a constant pile of school clothing to sew name tapes into. As lots of stuff can be handed down we have decided that we only need the surname on the name tapes (about an inch less sewing). Their surname is Zorlutuna (dad is half Turkish) so they are easily identified. Biggest issue at the moment is that Max, the eldest, is growing about an inch every month, well taller than me and only 13. Already got a pile of uniform for next term. 

23 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

I have to agree with you Michelle. My daughter has three boys. I have a constant pile of school clothing to sew name tapes into. As lots of stuff can be handed down we have decided that we only need the surname on the name tapes (about an inch less sewing). Their surname is Zorlutuna (dad is half Turkish) so they are easily identified. Biggest issue at the moment is that Max, the eldest, is growing about an inch every month, well taller than me and only 13. Already got a pile of uniform for next term. 

I used to do the same as our surname was the only one in the school. If the lost item didn't belong to the child it was given to it still found it's way home!

Our name stood out at the hospital a few years back as my daughter had been to see one of the consultants and a few months later I was also referred to see him. He handed the letter about me back to his secretary and told her that he had already seen that patient, she replied that he hadn't😲

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 9:08 AM, Purdey16 said:

Have a lovely holiday Michelle especially with your grandchildren, my grandchildren are arriving tomorrow to join us out in fuerteventura, it’s hot but windy here .

Hope your grandchildren have arrived safely and you are all having a lovely time x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:01 PM, Josy1953 said:

I have just had a phone call from my niece's friend asking if I can alter a skirt for her before lunchtime tomorrow.  DH has  asked me whether any of the younger people we know can do anything useful.

Hate to say this, but think I was born in the same year as you and cannot do anything useful either. Neither could my mother (born in 1923), or my brothers (born in 1950 and 1954). 

In addition, so allergic are we to ironing that my rescue dog, which I have owned for 18 months, nearly had a nervous breakdown when I reluctantly dragged out the ironing board last Tuesday. He'd clearly never seen one before...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jennizor said:

I used to hate getting hand me downs. I was the youngest and got all my older sister / cousins clothes. I can’t remember getting much that was just mine apart from underwear and my Guide uniform.

Its fine for older siblings as they get the new stuff and get to pick a style that suits them. While as an adult I obviously understand the economics of why it happens, as a child I always thought it was so very unfair.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I used to hate getting hand me downs. I was the youngest and got all my older sister / cousins clothes. I can’t remember getting much that was just mine apart from underwear and my Guide uniform.

Its fine for older siblings as they get the new stuff and get to pick a style that suits them. While as an adult I obviously understand the economics of why it happens, as a child I always thought it was so very unfair.

Luckily I only have one older sister 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Luckily I only have one older sister 😂😂😂😂

So do I which could make it a bit embarrassing. I didn’t go out in public much and had a hard time at school. 😇🥴🫣😱

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was the older sister so didn't  get hand me downs but I remember one occasion when my mum thought that we would look nice if she bought 3 identical dresses for us, all 3 of us hated those dresses and still say that it was a kind of child abuse to dress us alike.

• Like 1

Hope everyone's having a pleasant Sunday 😍

Thought I best wish Iona a happy birthday as it's one year today since ,

Iona went on her very first cruise 💞😊

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Forgive me if I don't celebrate...😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Happy 1st birthday Iona.

Nice of P&O to email us to let us know this morning.

LTd57p4jc.gif.bba9f2d7c5e38808057132ba5edaf26d.gif

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:32 AM, brian1 said:

Hi all,flying back to Italy tomorrow for 60 days and driving back in October.Our Russian neighbours are there at the moment,which is good cos they owe us 500 Euro.They support you know who so will do my best Basil Faulty impression and not mention the war.Should be OK as we do get on with them.

Why do I feel I've sold my soul to the devil for 500 bucks and 2 cans of Russian lager.I hate what's happening in the other UK with a vengeance.We've known these lovely people for 15 years and it's hard.Just got to stop the Basil goose step legs from twitching,lol.1453261312_IMG_20220807_170553039615.thumb.jpg.d60e4c0e3948d425e68f2a3b5a0d70be.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Hate to say this, but think I was born in the same year as you and cannot do anything useful either. Neither could my mother (born in 1923), or my brothers (born in 1950 and 1954). 

In addition, so allergic are we to ironing that my rescue dog, which I have owned for 18 months, nearly had a nervous breakdown when I reluctantly dragged out the ironing board last Tuesday. He'd clearly never seen one before...

I have to admit too to being useless when it comes to sewing/mending etc (and rarely iron - if it needs ironing I don't buy it!)We were given the opportunity to study German rather than Needlework at the age of 12 and I jumped at the chance to give it up. My late mother in law was a domestic science teacher and probably despaired of my lack of practical abilities 

7 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I was the older sister so didn't  get hand me downs but I remember one occasion when my mum thought that we would look nice if she bought 3 identical dresses for us, all 3 of us hated those dresses and still say that it was a kind of child abuse to dress us alike.

I was a twin and if we were dressed alike it meant it wasn't a hand me down! I used to love  visiting our older cousins and getting a bag of their clothes as they seemed so grown up and fashionable. I can remember envying their school uniform which was grey, maroon and blue. Our was all grey and very boring