Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

Does everyone know that the situations where masks are required changes tomorrow?  I’m not sure I did, or how much it might affect me, but here’s the list, taken from the gov.uk website

 

The more it goes on the more complicated it appears to get.  
 

Pupils & teachers not required to wear masks though.  That seems an error to me but time will tell.

 

Here’s the list

 

We are now recommending that face coverings are worn in additional indoor settings and this will be enforceable in law.

 

Currently you are required to wear face coverings in shops, supermarkets, indoor shopping centres, indoor transport hubs and public transport.

 

For members of the public, from 8 August this will be expanded to include:

 

  • funeral directors
  • premises providing professional, legal or financial services
  • cinemas
  • theatres
  • bingo halls
  • concert halls
  • museums, galleries, aquariums, indoor zoos or visitor farms, or other indoor tourist, heritage or cultural sites
  • nail, beauty, hair salons and barbers - other than where necessary to remove for treatments
  • massage parlours.
  • public areas in hotels and hostels
  • places of worship
  • libraries and public reading rooms
  • community centres
  • social clubs
  • tattoo and piercing parlours
  • indoor entertainment venues (amusement arcades, funfairs, adventure activities such as laser quest, go-karting, escape rooms, heritage sites)
  • storage and distribution facilities
  • veterinary services
  • auction houses
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Does everyone know that the situations where masks are required changes tomorrow?  I’m not sure I did, or how much it might affect me, but here’s the list, taken from the gov.uk website

 

The more it goes on the more complicated it appears to get.  
 

Pupils & teachers not required to wear masks though.  That seems an error to me but time will tell.

 

Here’s the list

 

We are now recommending that face coverings are worn in additional indoor settings and this will be enforceable in law.

 

Currently you are required to wear face coverings in shops, supermarkets, indoor shopping centres, indoor transport hubs and public transport.

 

For members of the public, from 8 August this will be expanded to include:

 

  • funeral directors
  • premises providing professional, legal or financial services
  • cinemas
  • theatres
  • bingo halls
  • concert halls
  • museums, galleries, aquariums, indoor zoos or visitor farms, or other indoor tourist, heritage or cultural sites
  • nail, beauty, hair salons and barbers - other than where necessary to remove for treatments
  • massage parlours.
  • public areas in hotels and hostels
  • places of worship
  • libraries and public reading rooms
  • community centres
  • social clubs
  • tattoo and piercing parlours
  • indoor entertainment venues (amusement arcades, funfairs, adventure activities such as laser quest, go-karting, escape rooms, heritage sites)
  • storage and distribution facilities
  • veterinary services
  • auction houses

No wonder people get confused... 

How can they say we are 'recommending', and then say it is enforceable by law? 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Situations where it is permissible not to wear a mask

 

  • young children under the age of 11 (Public Health England do not recommended face coverings for children under the age of 3 for health and safety reasons)
  • not being able to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
  • if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress
  • if you are travelling with or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading to communicate
  • to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others
  • to avoid injury, or to escape a risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you
  • to eat or drink if reasonably necessary
  • in order to take medication
  • if a police officer or other official requests you remove your face covering

 

Here’s the link if you would like to read the whole, beautiful, thing

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/31-july-announcement

Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be good news in a Twitter thread by Ed Conway (Sky news, I think?)

 

The likelihood of someone with #COVID19 dying in intensive care has dropped from nearly 45% to not much above 20%! That’s a massive improvement: indeed it’s not far off the rate for non-COVID pneumonia (21%). Extraordinary. Yet no-one seems to be aware of this...”

 

Doesn’t stop the thing being far too contagious but I guess it augers well for those who do

 

However, after watching the BBC documentary on Wednesday and seeing the after effects on the previously well, 40-something Dr van Tulleken (?sp), I still think that by far the best plan is to try to avoid catching it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

This may be good news in a Twitter thread by Ed Conway (Sky news, I think?)

 

The likelihood of someone with #COVID19 dying in intensive care has dropped from nearly 45% to not much above 20%! That’s a massive improvement: indeed it’s not far off the rate for non-COVID pneumonia (21%). Extraordinary. Yet no-one seems to be aware of this...”

 

Doesn’t stop the thing being far too contagious but I guess it augers well for those who do

 

However, after watching the BBC documentary on Wednesday and seeing the after effects on the previously well, 40-something Dr van Tulleken (?sp), I still think that by far the best plan is to try to avoid catching it.

A doctor over here said ages ago that the viral load has reduced dramatically.That is the killer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

You couldn't really write this.  Large 18m motor boat enters the harbour and telephones the office to ask where to moor.  Unable to use the radio as doesn't know how!!  Also, didn't understand that they needed fenders to hang on the sides?!!  Dear God, this boat would have cost hundreds of thousands.  I give up!  Didn't understand the word starboard.

 

You get people like that at Burnham-on-Crouch.  The locals call them the Romford Navy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

You couldn't really write this.  Large 18m motor boat enters the harbour and telephones the office to ask where to moor.  Unable to use the radio as doesn't know how!!  Also, didn't understand that they needed fenders to hang on the sides?!!  Dear God, this boat would have cost hundreds of thousands.  I give up!  Didn't understand the word starboard.

 

You get people like that at Burnham-on-Crouch.  The locals call them the Romford Navy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

 

You get people like that at Burnham-on-Crouch.  The locals call them the Romford Navy!

Ha ha, we used to go up to Burnham from Romford, but not by boat. 

More likely an XR3i.. 

You got a better class of bird up there in the pubs on a Sunday afternoon... 😊

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ha ha, we used to go up to Burnham from Romford, but not by boat. 

More likely an XR3i.. 

You got a better class of bird up there in the pubs on a Sunday afternoon... 😊

Andy 

Those halcyon days when places like Ingatestone were rural.........

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't sure where to put this but as Jean said,  Salcombe has real problems...thought I would just mention it has a double page spread in the Mail today.

 

 I just hope that when this is all over and the troublemakers have departed for other places, that it doesn't put people off from holidaying there.  Such a shame as a reputation is difficult to erase even if unearned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Those halcyon days when places like Ingatestone were rural.........

There are parts of north west Essex where I grew up that are still relatively rural despite the M11 and Standsted Airport (My father worked there before it became Londons 3rd airport!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

You were lucky, we always seemed to go to Warley mental hospital.. 

Andy 

So that explains it!  I'm so sorry Andy. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the times I've poked fun at you. I honestly didn't know. I won't do it again 😔.

Much😉

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adawn47 said:

So that explains it!  I'm so sorry Andy. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the times I've poked fun at you. I honestly didn't know. I won't do it again 😔.

Much😉

Avril

Perhaps it wasn't a school trip after all, they were trying to leave me there😊

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Perhaps it wasn't a school trip after all, they were trying to leave me there😊

Andy 

Well I'm glad they didn't succeed. Where would we be without you? 😉

Avril 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ann141 said:

There are parts of north west Essex where I grew up that are still relatively rural despite the M11 and Standsted Airport (My father worked there before it became Londons 3rd airport!)

I know what you mean,  Ann.  Essex is a county of many parts. North very different from south.  We lived near Brentwood for a while - interesting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 3:49 PM, Eddie99 said:

This may be good news in a Twitter thread by Ed Conway (Sky news, I think?)

 

The likelihood of someone with #COVID19 dying in intensive care has dropped from nearly 45% to not much above 20%! That’s a massive improvement: indeed it’s not far off the rate for non-COVID pneumonia (21%). Extraordinary. Yet no-one seems to be aware of this...”

 

Doesn’t stop the thing being far too contagious but I guess it augers well for those who do

 

However, after watching the BBC documentary on Wednesday and seeing the after effects on the previously well, 40-something Dr van Tulleken (?sp), I still think that by far the best plan is to try to avoid catching it.

Absolutely agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in North Norfolk its become very busy over the past few weeks as holiday makers start to flood in. Covid aside I am constantly worried about how soon I will knock someone down especially in Holt where they all seem to feel that the middle of the road is the safest spot. It was so bad on Thursday that I have given up. Taxis in for my hair appointments and no more strolls round town, coffees and lunch out until October. It is what it is I love living here but just can not hack the stress. Worked in central London for many years where it may have been mayhem but not like here where it seems suicidal once holiday season starts. Locals tell me you just park way outside the centre and I would but have a very dodgy knee shortly due for its second replacement. First world problems hey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ann141 said:

There are parts of north west Essex where I grew up that are still relatively rural despite the M11 and Standsted Airport (My father worked there before it became Londons 3rd airport!)

You are quite right - years ago, before the A11 was dualled and when my parents still lived in North London and we were in Norfolk, we used to cut through parts of Essex to go down and see them - it was a lovely run through some delightful villages.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...