P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

The Sizzling pubs down here tend to get overrun with large families due to the cheap pricing. 

Mayhem, a bit like Ventura during school holidays... 😂

Andy 

I am surprised that any of them are clean and do decent food, at those prices.  

I have just received an email from our MP asking if I would be interested in a coach trip to have a guided tour of the Houses of Parliament. I was truely stunned to receive the invitation because in a conversation I made it clear to him that I don't think that he is interested in the people where I live and is only interested in the people on a large council estate in his constituency.

We will be happily sailing on Sky Princess on his suggested date so I have replied to say that we would be interested in future visits that he organises to Parliament.

Is this a normal thing or is this just because I am a thorn in his side ? or does he know that I spent many hours delivering leaflets for one his party candidate during the recent local elections ?

• Like 4

23 hours ago, brian1 said:

My experience of Vancouver was a blur literally.Running for a HOHO bus in torrential rain I stepped on an aluminium expansion joint on the pier.With my rubber soled hikers I did a backward half somersault and landed on my head.Laying there semi conscious the mention of an ambulance , a curtailed cruise and thousands of dollars made me get up and stumble to the bus.I still thought I was in Alaska for the 1st half hour of the tour.Without even getting off we got back to the ship an hour later still chucking it down.A cup of tea helped me recover,lol.Shame, it could have been a nice experience in better weather and circumstances.

That’s a shame Brian but at least no bones were broken! I haven’t been posting for a few days because I had a accident in Flåm on Tuesday I went up the mountain on the train and we hired bikes to ride down and I fell off just at the beginning of the start of the hairpin bends and fell 20 feet down a ravine, no broken bones but badly bruised everywhere the purple and black ones 🥲 (so no getting into my swim suit for rest of cruise)  had to walk the rest of the hairpin bends down as it’s so steep and all loose gravel and it had knocked my confidence down.  It took us 3 hours to get back to port  and we both really enjoyed the lovely scenery and waterfalls and stopping for picnic but was overjoyed in getting of those saddles and I will never get on a bike again 😂😂.

Today we are arriving in Akureyri Iceland and it’s cold 8 degrees and raining.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

That’s a shame Brian but at least no bones were broken! I haven’t been posting for a few days because I had a accident in Flåm on Tuesday I went up the mountain on the train and we hired bikes to ride down and I fell off just at the beginning of the start of the hairpin bends and fell 20 feet down a ravine, no broken bones but badly bruised everywhere the purple and black ones 🥲 (so no getting into my swim suit for rest of cruise)  had to walk the rest of the hairpin bends down as it’s so steep and all loose gravel and it had knocked my confidence down.  It took us 3 hours to get back to port  and we both really enjoyed the lovely scenery and waterfalls and stopping for picnic but was overjoyed in getting of those saddles and I will never get on a bike again 😂😂.

Very brave to cycle down, hope your not hurt too much.

• Like 2

So sorry to read of this - and on what was probably a lovely day.  No doubt you are still finding places aching where you didn't know you had places.  BUT at least you did not break a leg, which I have done twice in recent years, and honestly that is something to be thankful for - if that is any comfort!

We loved Flam, and normally (though I could not have done it) I would think the cycle ride would be terrific.  Onwards and upwards, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

The Sizzling pubs down here tend to get overrun with large families due to the cheap pricing. 

Mayhem, a bit like Ventura during school holidays... 😂

Andy 

When we go, it tends to be late lunchtime. The little darlings are in school. Can get overrun with wrinklies, but they are generally quite well behaved.

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

Blimey, what an experience! Hope you're not too sore.

On the plus side that will be a great story to share next time anyone mentions Flåm!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that you are not seriously hurt. Wishing you well and hope  you soon get over any soreness. 

We are due to call in at Flam in September, but I will not be biking!!

• Like 8

We are so sorry to hear about your fall Sandra.

Thankfully you have no broken bones but sad you have all that bruising.

Best wishes from us both.

Graham and Pauline x

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

How scary for you, no wonder it knocked your confidence.

Thank heavens your injuries weren’t even worse.

Hope you feel better soon 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I went up the mountain on the train and we hired bikes to ride down and I fell off just at the beginning of the start of the hairpin bends and fell 20 feet down a ravine, no broken bones but badly bruised everywhere the purple and black ones

bike.jpg.4361974bd83b5cec214b825cc53505a4.jpg

Wow Sandra you really know how to live life in the fast lane . 

Whizzing through the air over a ravine, free as a bird on yer bike .I'm getting visions 

of ET when he took off on his bike , only  your scene was not as graceful.

The main thing is your OK and hope not in too much pain .

Your not the first to come a cropper on a bike though. I was walking down our country

lane last week and a woman on a bike missed me with inches to spare .

I yelled "COW!" at the woman  and she gave me the middle finger.

Then she ploughed her bike straight into the cow. Can't say I did not warn her .🙃

Hoping the rest of your time away is pain free ,take care ! :classic_love:

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

How scary Sandra. Sounds like you were incredibly lucky not to have any broken bones but a very nasty tumble nonetheless. I hope your multi- coloured bruises fade soon and you feel less sore very soon. Wish you better. Jane xxx

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So sorry to hear that you had such a nasty accident but happy that you were lucky enough to not break any bones.  Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ouch! I hope the soreness wears off quickly and you can enjoy the rest of your cruise. 
We’re visiting Flam next May on Britannia and my husband is interested in cycling down those hairpin bends. Is there an excursion that does train up & bike down or do you have to hire the bike independently? He would be cycling on his own because my rear end prefers more comfy seats rather than a saddle 😂 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Ouch! I hope the soreness wears off quickly and you can enjoy the rest of your cruise. 
We’re visiting Flam next May on Britannia and my husband is interested in cycling down those hairpin bends. Is there an excursion that does train up & bike down or do you have to hire the bike independently? He would be cycling on his own because my rear end prefers more comfy seats rather than a saddle 😂 

Is he crazy!!! Have you not told him what happened to poor Sandra? 

Better check that insurance policy 😂

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Is he crazy!!! Have you not told him what happened to poor Sandra? 

Better check that insurance policy 😂

Andy 

Yes I have told him and yes he is crazy 😂

He is a keen cyclist but after hearing about Sandra’s accident I’d rather he was in a group and not on his own.

It might put a dampener on the holiday if he doesn’t make it back to the ship before I sail off to my next port without him 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just in case anyone is wondering why I am not around,  I had a knee replacement on 24 April.  One week later I collapsed at home and broke my femur around the new joint. So currently on week 3 of bedrest in hospital while they work out why I passed out and what to do with the bone 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Host Sharon said:

Just in case anyone is wondering why I am not around,  I had a knee replacement on 24 April.  One week later I collapsed at home and broke my femur around the new joint. So currently on week 3 of bedrest in hospital while they work out why I passed out and what to do with the bone 

Wishing you a swift and full recovery.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Host Sharon said:

So sorry to hear that Sharon. It’s bad enough having a knee replaced without the rest of it to cope with. Praying for your swift recovery.

• Like 3