Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:


I thought my landline was rock solid but right at the beginning of lockdown we went about 2 and a half weeks without ours and, therefore, no internet! What a time to not have internet!! That’s when I was glad for my mobile and why I went to a sim only deal as I was racing through the data on my phone! 
 

Luckily it was fixed 1 day before I got my work PC and phone ready to work from home. They are both plugged into my router! It’s crazy I just push the 4 digit number to transfer a call like I would in the office and I am through to the office or someone else working from home!

Our EE broadband is unlimited so I use the WiFi on my phone at home plus Pauline works from home Monday and Tuesday using the wireless WiFi in her office in the conservatory and our house outside CCTV is linked to the broadband so we can use an app on our phones to check anywhere in the world with WiFi or 4G.

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

Count me in as well. If the broadband were to go down at least we have the landline to

fall back on  for contact and over the years only once have I had a landline fault  meaning

no broadband as well.

I still had my PAYG mobile data to fall back on but that was expensive.

Recently my daughter decided to jump ship and move providers as she thought they would 

all be the same .So she signed up with the company that " Does you Proud " but the problem is 

they are not doing her proud, it keeps dropping the signal.The two grand kids are avid gamers 

and her and hubby like surfing and Netflix. She tells me it was the worst thing ever and the 

company don't want to know as the speed does not drop all of the time.:classic_wacko:

 

I like to use this site to see what's down. Simply click on the logo of your provider and if you

scroll down further you can check outages on Netflix, YouTube ,games and many more .

 

https://istheservicedown.co.uk/companies  :classic_smile:

 

 


Do they not offer a speed guarantee? Or anything like that. 
If it’s intermittent she should get it looked at. 
or they could be throttling her if she is using those as gamers and Netflix are best off on high speed broadband 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have O2 Classic PAYG - 3p a minute for calls, 2p texts and 1p Data. I mostly use wifi, but have found the data very useful.  I hardly put any money on my phone.  Don't think they do this package any more, but it's great.  I hardly make any calls, use it for the internet mostly when I am out and about.

Edited by jeanlyon
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


Do they not offer a speed guarantee? Or anything like that. 
If it’s intermittent she should get it looked at. 
or they could be throttling her if she is using those as gamers and Netflix are best off on high speed broadband 

Nice to hear from you,a couple of regulars were worried you hadn't posted for a little while.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


Do they not offer a speed guarantee? Or anything like that. 
If it’s intermittent she should get it looked at. 
or they could be throttling her if she is using those as gamers and Netflix are best off on high speed broadband 

 

Hi Vamps, she has phoned them endless times and they told her to look in T&C's that tell her if it were to drop more than it did then they would act.

Not getting to see them due to being stuck at home I don't have all the inn's & outs of it all.

She was same as us and had years with Sky on a mere 11mbps which had no issues now with these that "do you proud" on 20 odd plus she says it can drop under 11mbs.

She is still battling with them and says she may just bite the bullet and drop the company and go back to Sky what worked well for her.

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SarahHben said:


One of my favourite Kent places is Hever Castle, very beautiful, definitely worth a visit.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

Do you know you can stay at Hever.  Beautiful rooms in the mews right up at the Castle.

 

For a surprise present its great.. I gave it to OH for his birthday, you drive to the castle, then drive up to a private gate, press the buzzer, and they open the gates, he thought "Where on earth am I going".. you then go down a private drive.. its great fun.  Breakfast is served in what can be described as an almost baronial  hall/room.  Early access to castle included.

 

It was one of the best short breaks and not too expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Nice to hear from you,a couple of regulars were worried you hadn't posted for a little while.

Graham.


hi graham

im always pottering about. I get about 100

emails a day from this but don’t always have much to comment. 
have been poorly last few weeks and hubby has been gardening so just chillin

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I am not sure how many gb we currently use for normal web usage plus the downloads we make on our catch up and box sets, but I guess it would need far more than the basic sim package. So not sure we would ever want to switch over entirely to mobile broadband, and if when we eventually replace the TV with a UHD version and maybe start thinking about getting Netflix or Amazon, our broadband demand would go even higher.

I guess we will be staying with a landline for quite some time at least for broadband, although we might eventually cancel the talk package if  I eventually switch to a sim deal.

 

John I think you are with Sky ?

 

I know your Mrs is disabled  but if you are on sky ..Did you you know they have a "Sky Disability Helpline"number ?

Should you need the call centre it puts you through to a dedicated call handler.

If you know about it then fine but if not you call and set up a password for when you call them .:classic_smile:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Does anyone have any comments re Sky.  I have Sky TV, but read some bad reviews about the broadband.  Do you have to have a different landline?


most provides now will have the same landline and broadband as it will be a bundle package. If you don’t you will pay ridiculous rates to have your landline with one and broadband with another. 
 

I am bias so can’t say but there is always bad and good reviews for any of the companies. Sometimes it will depend on your area as to where is best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

Hi Vamps, she has phoned them endless times and they told her to look in T&C's that tell her if it were to drop more than it did then they would act.

Not getting to see them due to being stuck at home I don't have all the inn's & outs of it all.

She was same as us and had years with Sky on a mere 11mbps which had no issues now with these that "do you proud" on 20 odd plus she says it can drop under 11mbs.

She is still battling with them and says she may just bite the bullet and drop the company and go back to Sky what worked well for her.


Is it plusnet?

11mbs speed is quite low for round here to be honest. She should check when fttp might come in. 
11mbs isn’t brilliant for gaming for a start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


hi graham

im always pottering about. I get about 100

emails a day from this but don’t always have much to comment. 
have been poorly last few weeks and hubby has been gardening so just chillin

Hi. It's lovely to hear from you, we've been worried, you were missed.  Sorry you've not been well and hope you're on the mend now and feeling a little better. Take care x

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


Is it plusnet?

11mbs speed is quite low for round here to be honest. She should check when fttp might come in. 
11mbs isn’t brilliant for gaming for a start. 

Yes she had 11mps upgraded to 20 something with Sky and a while later realised she was out of contract so moved to plusnet with  20 something but she is far from happy with their service .

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked out the NHS app while shopping today. The QR code is not displayed in the coffee bar but their own code is 😕

 

the NHS code is displayed outside the entrance which caused lots of confusion amongst customers. Anyway I chose the check in option in the app and pointed it at the code, bingo, up came the coffee shop address without even pressing a button. 🙂

 

Then the supermarket, no NHS poster but the other supermarket had one 🤔

 

Answer the second supermarket had a open in store café. I copied this from the gov site

 

Services included in the new legal requirements are:

hospitality, >>  including pubs, bars, restaurants and cafés
tourism and leisure, >>  including gyms, swimming pools, hotels, museums, cinemas, zoos and theme parks 
close contact services, >>  including hairdressers *facilities provided by local authorities, including town halls and civic centres (for events), libraries and children’s centres  

 

So now I know 😇

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Does anyone have any comments re Sky.  I have Sky TV, but read some bad reviews about the broadband.  Do you have to have a different landline?

 

To be fair Jean how many people think I know I will go on a review site and give a glowing review ?

You will read mostly about how unhappy they are with the company.

As we are not allowed to recommend companies on here I will say this ..

Where I live we cannot get fibre broadband so our max is11 mbps and overall we have no problems with 

Sky as a provider.

You ask about the phone ?  When we switched from BT landline to SKY Talk we kept our old phone number

Nothing changed .It was A bit like if you change electric or gas company there is no changes at your end.

Hope that helps you .:classic_smile:  ps   you can keep your phone number as well 

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Does anyone have any comments re Sky.  I have Sky TV, but read some bad reviews about the broadband.  Do you have to have a different landline?

Same as you Jean, Sky TV  only. We have Virgin broadband which is really good in our area and so far we've had no problems at all🤞. No landline phone with any company and EE mobile with unlimited calls and texts for £11.20 mnth. There is some limited internet  too but I don't bother with it.  I only use broadband at home. Perfectly satisfied.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Does anyone have any comments re Sky.  I have Sky TV, but read some bad reviews about the broadband.  Do you have to have a different landline?

We have had Sky broadband for several years and they have been very good. Recently, speeds have been a bit intermittent but when I rang them, they apologised and said it slows down sometimes because of such high demand due to more people at home. Still useable though. Apparently we will be getting a fibre connection to our home rather to the box half a mile away  in a few months so that will improve it greatly. 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

We have had Sky broadband for several years and they have been very good. Recently, speeds have been a bit intermittent but when I rang them, they apologised and said it slows down sometimes because of such high demand due to more people at home. Still useable though. Apparently we will be getting a fibre connection to our home rather to the box half a mile away  in a few months so that will improve it greatly. 😊


As far as I am aware if you get fibre direct to your home then sky wouldn’t be Able to provide it to you. There is only a handful of companies that do fttp. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


As far as I am aware if you get fibre direct to your home then sky wouldn’t be Able to provide it to you. There is only a handful of companies that do fttp. 

 

What was my daughter on then  as she moved to  Sky superfast broadband ? :classic_unsure:

 

https://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-broadband/

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

What was my daughter on then  as she moved to  Sky superfast broadband ? :classic_unsure:

 

https://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-broadband/


without knowing her postcode it’s difficult but there isn’t a lot of people on copper now. Most are on fibre to the cabinet. 
im didn’t think that your village had copper only left anymore as my gran runs off the exchange in your village and she gets fibre and she’s quite a bit out. 
 

If you google Bt openreach where and when it gives you what is in your area and when the next update is coming

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:


hi graham

im always pottering about. I get about 100

emails a day from this but don’t always have much to comment. 
have been poorly last few weeks and hubby has been gardening so just chillin

Sorry to hear you have been poorly.

Pauline and I are at Gretna Outlet Village.

16010365831219085616898326475566.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


without knowing her postcode it’s difficult but there isn’t a lot of people on copper now. Most are on fibre to the cabinet. 
im didn’t think that your village had copper only left anymore as my gran runs off the exchange in your village and she gets fibre and she’s quite a bit out. 
 

If you google Bt openreach where and when it gives you what is in your area and when the next update is coming

 

She lives up Rawmarsh and has had fibre for ages .

As for me  I have just checked our postcode and it now does read we can have superfast now :classic_smile:

Last time I checked was ages ago and it said "coming soon".

The package we are on with the landline thrown in free mobile  etc works fine for us .

We have 2 pc's running best part of the day plus smart TV running YouTube /Now TV and it works

fine very rare for it to buffer etc

We are happy with what we have got for now ,maybe look at it when contract ends.

Daughter says she's swapping back again as well.

Thanks for the heads up Vamps I did not know they had completed our area re the upgrades .:classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Daughter says she's swapping back again as well.

I think your daughter's experience sums up why we don't want to change. Better the devil you know, even if it does cost a bit more!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wowzz said:

I think your daughter's experience sums up why we don't want to change. Better the devil you know, even if it does cost a bit more!

That is our feelings as well Wowzz a few years back I had a broadband problem which they 

found to be a loose wire in the exchange ,they refunded me about half of the monthly fee as 

An apology. You get what you pay for .:classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...