Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, davemorton said:

Unless you all drive to the Tower, then you could mix there so long as there is less than 6 of you. 

Too long a drive from Durham.

Last time we were at the tower in 2014 there was thousands of poppies around the tower.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Rain hitting the roof in our conservatory sounds good.

Long time since I heard rain noise on a caravan or tent.

A static caravan we had  I decided to upgrade it a bit as it was gas only .

Part of the upgrade was to go solar powered also went for a wind powered generator .

There was nothing better than being woke up in the middle of the night ,rain lashing 

down on the caravan roof and if you were really lucky and it was stormy then you got to

hear the growl of the wind running through the generator blades.

Happy days :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, davemorton said:

Blimey, was that 6 years ago?  I popped over to look on my way home from a RC cruise. 

We stayed 3 nights at the Ritz for our 33rd wedding anniversary in 2014 and visited several London landmarks.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We stayed 3 nights at the Ritz for our 33rd wedding anniversary in 2014 and visited several London landmarks.

Graham.

You must have been crackers to stay there,must have cost a packet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We stayed 3 nights at the Ritz for our 33rd wedding anniversary in 2014 and visited several London landmarks.

Graham.

We went to London to celebrate my 50th in autumn 2014 and loved the Tower poppies. Alas we had to make do with a Premier Inn but we did have afternoon tea at the Ritz!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kalos said:

A static caravan we had  I decided to upgrade it a bit as it was gas only .

Part of the upgrade was to go solar powered also went for a wind powered generator .

There was nothing better than being woke up in the middle of the night ,rain lashing 

down on the caravan roof and if you were really lucky and it was stormy then you got to

hear the growl of the wind running through the generator blades.

Happy days :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

Did you have the old gauze gas mantles that went pop pop pop, it was a very relaxing sound but they were in really fragile.

 

The other interesting sound was the whale pump for water in older caravans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Did you have the old gauze gas mantles that went pop pop pop, it was a very relaxing sound but they were in really fragile.

 

The other interesting sound was the whale pump for water in older caravans.

Our first caravan was gas lighting no electricity hot water from the kettle water pumped up with a foot peddle, double bed I made the slates for it far better than using the table top, I did install a battery pack but never lasted that long happy days.

Edited by Bazrat
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Did you have the old gauze gas mantles that went pop pop pop, it was a very relaxing sound but they were in really fragile.

 

The other interesting sound was the whale pump for water in older caravans.

 

Oh yes we had a few gauze's as spares and as for the water pump I left that fitted but bought 

12v micro tap switches for the sink .

Most people who came back for a cuppa thought I had gone mains electric .

The other loving memories I had was in really cold weather having to run outside and give the 

propane bottle a kick as they tended to frost up meaning no gas fire/cooker until you did .

Those morning were a bit refreshing  going over to the washroom/toilet blocks .:classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kalos said:

 

Oh yes we had a few gauze's as spares and as for the water pump I left that fitted but bought 

12v micro tap switches for the sink .

Most people who came back for a cuppa thought I had gone mains electric .

The other loving memories I had was in really cold weather having to run outside and give the 

propane bottle a kick as they tended to frost up meaning no gas fire/cooker until you did .

Those morning were a bit refreshing  going over to the washroom/toilet blocks .:classic_smile:

Yep frosted gas and Dripping wet condensated windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yep frosted gas and Dripping wet condensated windows.

Anyone want to discuss the pre cassette toilets, our first trip 4am we was woken by this horrendous noise a nimrod flying overhead to do a sortie, in the morning the nice lady in the shop said don’t worry you’ll get used to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hope all goes well Manx buoy!

 

I’ve just been wrapping the hubby’s presents. I got him this ready made cocktail from Amazon, it’s one of his favourites onboard! A cheese and wine hamper has just been delivered from M&S too so he’s all set food and drink wise! 😊94CC643C-D8DE-4C20-ACD1-44ECE19BA061.thumb.jpeg.2b5d0c91d45d51c890b8610b458402b0.jpeg

I think I’ll need to send away for one of those cocktails myself. Coffee and almonds sounds delicious 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Anyone want to discuss the pre cassette toilets, our first trip 4am we was woken by this horrendous noise a nimrod flying overhead to do a sortie, in the morning the nice lady in the shop said don’t worry you’ll get used to it.

Loo blue, those were the days.

 

The cassettes were a vast improvement, much more discrete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brian1 said:

You must have been crackers to stay there,must have cost a packet.

It was well worth it Brian, something we always wanted to do.

We had champagne afternoon tea which was excellent.

Dinner in the restaurant was fantastic too.

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I meant to say earlier, I booked a flu jab at Lloyd’s Pharmacy for 19th October. I did it online, and indicated that I was in the 50-64 age group, and it still gave me an appointment.

 

However, I’m half expecting them to run out of vaccine by then, so will have to wait and see.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

We went to London to celebrate my 50th in autumn 2014 and loved the Tower poppies. Alas we had to make do with a Premier Inn but we did have afternoon tea at the Ritz!

Our anniversary was August 22nd and we were there then.

The champagne afternoon tea was certainly a highlight and I'm pleased you got to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Too long a drive from Durham.

Last time we were at the tower in 2014 there was thousands of poppies around the tower.

Graham, unless your lockdown is more lenient than ours in Kirklees, then you are not allowed to socialise with anyone outside your own household in any public venue including pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops or any entertainment venue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Graham, unless your lockdown is more lenient than ours in Kirklees, then you are not allowed to socialise with anyone outside your own household in any public venue including pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops or any entertainment venue.

Cheers John.

That is the big extra restriction for indoors but you can still socialise outside or in beer gardens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Cheers John.

That is the big extra restriction for indoors but you can still socialise outside or in beer gardens.

Graham, I suggest you recheck from today you can no longer socialise anywhere, except funerals, outside your household.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Graham, I suggest you recheck from today you can no longer socialise anywhere, except funerals, outside your household.

Even Boris didn't know yesterday.

It is only advised to avoid outside.

This is the latest guidelines from government website.

 

 

Screenshot_20200930_220755_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20200930_221236_com.android.chrome.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Graham, I suggest you recheck from today you can no longer socialise anywhere, except funerals, outside your household.

To be fair, how can anyone possibly understand the complexity of all this dross:

 

BBC News - Covid rules: How much of the UK is now under some sort of lockdown?


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52934822

 

The PM certainly can't!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

To be fair, how can anyone possibly understand the complexity of all this dross:

 

BBC News - Covid rules: How much of the UK is now under some sort of lockdown?


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52934822

 

The PM certainly can't!

I'm sure Dominic Cummings knows the rules and loopholes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our anniversary was August 22nd and we were there then.

The champagne afternoon tea was certainly a highlight and I'm pleased you got to do that.

We were there a few days after you on August 28th, a month before my birthday. The children marvelled at the toilets so I had to take some photos! Why would someone want to read the papers there??!

img_0683.jpg

IMG_0685.JPG

Edited by Ardennais
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...