P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

22 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We got back from Devon yesterday, had a real mix of weather, wonderfully stormy for a few days but a few sunny days too. I ate way too much and my diet starts tomorrow, emoji4.png don’t they all?! We did lots of walking too and I got good use out of the waterproof walking boots I had bought for our Norway cruise!
Now back to the mounds of washing emoji15.png

I don’t usually watch Britain’s Got Talent but heard on the radio that they had performances by some west end shows on last night’s programme, including Les Mis which is my favourite, so I watched that bit this afternoon and got quite emotional, made me realise how much I’m missing going to the theatre. One day.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't know they had some West End shows on so will try and watch it on catch up.  

At the beginning of lockdown we  watched some of Andrew Lloyd Webber's West End shows "The Shows Must Go On" via You Tube. On  Friday we re-watched Phantom of the Opera as it was on again.  I know we don't go to the theartre very often, especially in London, but I do miss going.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We got back from Devon yesterday, had a real mix of weather, wonderfully stormy for a few days but a few sunny days too. I ate way too much and my diet starts tomorrow, emoji4.png don’t they all?! We did lots of walking too and I got good use out of the waterproof walking boots I had bought for our Norway cruise!
Now back to the mounds of washing emoji15.png

I don’t usually watch Britain’s Got Talent but heard on the radio that they had performances by some west end shows on last night’s programme, including Les Mis which is my favourite, so I watched that bit this afternoon and got quite emotional, made me realise how much I’m missing going to the theatre. One day.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds like you enjoyed your holiday and the sea view you had was amazing.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I didn't know they had some West End shows on so will try and watch it on catch up.  

At the beginning of lockdown we  watched some of Andrew Lloyd Webber's West End shows "The Shows Must Go On" via You Tube. On  Friday we re-watched Phantom of the Opera as it was on again.  I know we don't go to the theartre very often, especially in London, but I do miss going.

It was a medley from Mary Poppins, Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis, definitely worth a watch.

I missed Phantom on The Shows Must Go On the first time around so I must watch it this time.

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Me too. I watched the performance last night, it made me feel very 

emotional. One day, when I eventually see a musical again at the theatre, I will be so happy that I will sob in public! 

Glad you had a good holiday 

I think I will be in tears too!

Thank you, it was very good to get away for a week.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Cheese monger looks interesting, I will investigate further. Thanks.

I have not tried knuckleduster, must look out for it as I like trying something new.

Another one to look out for is blue murder, you might like that if you like flavourful cheese.

I did not know that Waitrose had ever stocked the Minger, shame they have stopped. 

I don't think Waitrose ever did stock it. Acxording to a Times article from October 2018 both they and an upmarket cheese supplier loved it but were put off by the name and reckoned they couldn't sell it in their particular markets. Southerners!

Thanks for the tips.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

No longer being made now, though - they were effectively closed down by the old Milk Marketing Board for failing to supply the MMB with the entire output

Blimey Harry,  I was in the dairy industry for a long time, but bringing up something that was closed down in 1993 is really going back in time.

I actually worked for a dairy cooperative - part of my remit was to periodically present to our dairy farmers as to  how the business was progressing. The Q&A session was a bit like being grilled by the Gestapo!  I always booked a room at a hotel for the evening, as I needed quite a few stiff drinks once the farmers had left.

Edited by wowzz

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Blimey Harry,  I was in the dairy industry for a long time, but bringing up something that was closed down in 1993 is really going back in time.

I actually worked for a dairy cooperative - part of my remit was to periodically present to our dairy farmers as to  how the business was progressing. The Q&A session was a bit like being grilled by the Gestapo!  I always booked a room at a hotel for the evening, as I needed quite a few stiff drinks once the farmers had left.

I'm talking late 70s wowzz.  This was a smallish dairy farm with a creamery producing absolutely stunning cheddar and superb butter on a small scale.  I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but that was the reason we were given for its closure.  All our cheese and butter came from there and the wife got to know them quite well.  There's always been a certain tension, I guess, between the dairy farmers and the various outlets,

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm talking late 70s wowzz.  This was a smallish dairy farm with a creamery producing absolutely stunning cheddar and superb butter on a small scale.  I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but that was the reason we were given for its closure.  All our cheese and butter came from there and the wife got to know them quite well.  There's always been a certain tension, I guess, between the dairy farmers and the various outlets,

Before my time Harry. The dairy industry,  like many others, is quite incestuous,  and in the 90s I knew most of the producers,  by name, if not in person. 

There will always be a place for niche producers, but once you start wanting to supply even a small retail chain, you have to be able to guarantee consistency of supply  and quality. The quantum leap required is costly, and I've seen many excellent dairy suppliers fail to make that leap. 

Having said that, we have a fantastic cheese industry in the UK, with amazing cheeses,  that you obviously know all about. 

Thanks all of you who took the time to comment about me saying I had nothing to look forward to. 
I’m glad to say we had a great afternoon at our son and partner’s place. Our grandson was so lively and chatty and funny. Our son had been quite strict before and not allowed him to get too close but all was ‘normal’ today and he kept climbing all over me! His mum said he was so pleased to see someone other than his parents! 😁It was the first time we’ve been to theirs since March, they’ve come to us because of our garden. 
Sorry for being gloomy I’m in a really good mood at the moment, just keeping everything crossed for them they can have a couple of days away next week as planned for Joshua’s second birthday. 

I’ve had a couple of friends contact me today wanting to meet up (I normally have things planned to keep me going!) but I’ve said let’s wait and see what’s announced tomorrow.

Keep smiling all.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks all of you who took the time to comment about me saying I had nothing to look forward to. 
I’m glad to say we had a great afternoon at our son and partner’s place. Our grandson was so lively and chatty and funny. Our son had been quite strict before and not allowed him to get too close but all was ‘normal’ today and he kept climbing all over me! His mum said he was so pleased to see someone other than his parents! 😁It was the first time we’ve been to theirs since March, they’ve come to us because of our garden. 
Sorry for being gloomy I’m in a really good mood at the moment, just keeping everything crossed for them they can have a couple of days away next week as planned for Joshua’s second birthday. 

I’ve had a couple of friends contact me today wanting to meet up (I normally have things planned to keep me going!) but I’ve said let’s wait and see what’s announced tomorrow.

Keep smiling all.

Sue, I'm so pleased you're feeling happier.  Grandchildren are amazing, and even the limited phone contact we have now cheers my wife up.

At the start of the original lockdown she was devastated at the prospect of not being able to hold our two, and she's still not happy about it, but she has managed to adjust to it, and she looks forward to better times if a suitable vaccine comes along. Christmas on our own this year for the first time in many, many years - we're still having to shield for health reasons.  It will still be a great Christmas (the last one we had on our own was in 1979 and that was fantastic!).

There's still the phone, Skype etc, and Amazon is great for sending those occasional little gifts to the grandchildren.  Even a few packets of Maltesers go down well - though I now know they hate the liquorice novelties we used to love as kids!

You'll get through it - always something to look forward to, but we all have the occasional bad day. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Thank you both.. I'll look every day.

Do you have to place an order?  If so then a good idea is to book, say, a bulk order for cat food up to the required amount then edit nearer the time.

Might be worth a look now - I see that a few more Christmas slots came on this morning here.  Good luck!

33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Might be worth a look now - I see that a few more Christmas slots came on this morning here.  Good luck!

Ditto here Harry. I’ve managed to secure a slot from Waitrose this morning for 23rd December. Absolutely delighted. At least I’ve something more to look forward to than a Ready Meal for one now on Christmas Day! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Keep smiling all.

I think that everyone has good days and bad days  even when we are not in the middle of a pandemic.....this just magnifies it.I felt really down a few couple of weeks ago but the lovely people on this forum gave me a little boost when I needed it most.

There will be an end to this madness but we just need a little patience,a good sense of humor and cake to get through it all.AND FRIENDS.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Keep smiling all.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time yesterday with your son and grandson.

Hopefully they can get away for Joshua's second birthday next week.

Graham.

• Like 2

I turn 40 this New Year and I really wanted to cruise this Christmas . If I find some cruise available for Christmas, I will definitely go. I really want to spend some time away from the mainland and just relax chillin in the café of the cruise. Such a wonderful experience 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thank you Harry.Just looked and some more  Christmas slots have become available this morning so have booked one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

Thank you Harry.Just looked and some more  Christmas slots have become available this morning so have booked one.

Nothing here yet.

Of course, we have to do a dummy list as we have no idea how many of us can meet in December.  Watch, wait, and keep cheerful is all we can do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Roger just said he turns 40 soon,in Sept he said he turned 30 this year.Confused,lol.

Yup. I picked up on that too. I'm quite happy to knock 10 years off my age, but definitely not add it on😁. Maybe it's the American time zones🤣

Sis

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Keep smiling all.

I'm so glad you had quality time and cuddles with your Grandson 😊  

Our little man learned to crawl while we were away and turned into a total Grandad's boy, only had eyes for him, even though it was me doing the 6am shifts 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Roger just said he turns 40 soon,in Sept he said he turned 30 this year.Confused,lol.

That's what I thought, but decided my memory was faulty. Good to know it's not my faculties that have gone wrong...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Yup. I picked up on that too. I'm quite happy to knock 10 years off my age, but definitely not add it on😁. Maybe it's the American time zones🤣

Sis

I think he wants another birthday card from Wowzz,bro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I'm so glad you had quality time and cuddles with your Grandson 😊  

Our little man learned to crawl while we were away and turned into a total Grandad's boy, only had eyes for him, even though it was me doing the 6am shifts 🤣

Isn’t that just typical! 😀 Last time I saw Joshua he only had eyes for his mum although very smiley and obviously recognising us. This time I think he wanted other company than his mum who he is with 24/7 at the moment! Lovely to see as he’s always been a sociable boy but he’d turned shy during lockdown.

• Like 2

The weather has turned cool and miserable again so I  thought I would nip into the cyber pub 

and give them a post to amuse them , what do you think ?.....:classic_smile:

A very high response to this advert for some reason :classic_unsure:

FB_IMG_1602511554705.thumb.jpg.519ead3426e22ed571b48cd6ae1254cf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5