Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Host Sharon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just went to the door to see my god daughter's car reversing off our drive and lovely bouquet on the doorstep with a mother's day card.  She has always bought flowers and cards on mother's day but I thought that with her working at the hospital and the current covid19 situation she would leave it this year.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A man, in West Sussex where I live, has recently been selling a cure for the Corona Virus. He is now in compulsory isolation in prison on remand until 20th April

Edited by Pine Man
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

A man, in West Sussex where I live, has recently been selling a cure for the Corona Virus. He is now in compulsory isolation in prison on remand until 20th April

Best place for him, I just hope that he didn't con too many people before his isolation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Best place for him, I just hope that he didn't con too many people before his isolation.


A better place may be in the middle of an intensive care unit being forced to watch the real hero’s selflessly going about their business of desperately trying to save lives. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, pete14 said:

A better place may be in the middle of an intensive care unit being forced to watch the real hero’s selflessly going about their business of desperately trying to save lives. 

Or even in that same intensive care unit but without protection and just a bottle of his 'miracle' cure.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle is devastated as our oldest daughter wont come over as she works in the hospital and doesn't want to bring anything in.     Andy 

 

TO ALL THE HOSPITALS IN THE UK  ....   THANK YOU ☺️

FB_IMG_1584715850275.jpg

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Have a lovely day Sarah, plenty of hand washing etc. 

Michelle is devastated as our oldest daughter wont come over as she works in the hospital and doesn't want to bring anything in. 

Thank God for Skype.. 

Andy 

Thank you Andy. They came for takeaway and quick cuddles, everything seems better with a baby cuddle, then we all went out for a walk in the fresh air to a local country park.

I really feel for Michelle, and you. I can totally understand your daughter, no-one wants to risk their loved ones health however difficult it is. 

We all facetimed both sets of parents today, my parents didn't quite get the hang of it and we saw more of mum's chest than her face 😆

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Have a lovely day Sarah, plenty of hand washing etc. 

Michelle is devastated as our oldest daughter wont come over as she works in the hospital and doesn't want to bring anything in. 

Thank God for Skype.. 

Andy 

I forgot to say, a big thank you to your daughter and all who are fighting for us!! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I forgot to say, a big thank you to your daughter and all who are fighting for us!! 

Bless you Sarah, thank you. 

She works in the critical care unit and is having to tell Cancer sufferers that their treatment could stop!!! 

The knock on effect is frightening... 

Andy 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ann141 said:

We are supposed to be staying a night at a hotel in Knutsford next sunday for our Ruby wedding Anniversary and were hoping to visit Tatton Park but will hopefully transfer the booking to some time in the future

 

Apparently they are closed now. I find it odd that we were told to go and enjoy open spaces and then when we all did they closed them. Everyone I saw yesterday was being very careful to keep their distance. Will now look forward to visiting again when all of this is over --- we will all appreciate its beauty even more now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

 

Apparently they are closed now. I find it odd that we were told to go and enjoy open spaces and then when we all did they closed them. Everyone I saw yesterday was being very careful to keep their distance. Will now look forward to visiting again when all of this is over --- we will all appreciate its beauty even more now

We will look forward to visiting it in the future.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

 

Apparently they are closed now. I find it odd that we were told to go and enjoy open spaces and then when we all did they closed them. Everyone I saw yesterday was being very careful to keep their distance. Will now look forward to visiting again when all of this is over --- we will all appreciate its beauty even more now

Unfortunately according to Sky news many are not being sensible looking at Snowdonia, Richmond Park and Bournemouth so like everything in life the minority ruin it for the majority'

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, majortom10 said:

Unfortunately according to Sky news many are not being sensible looking at Snowdonia, Richmond Park and Bournemouth so like everything in life the minority ruin it for the majority'

 

All the families were walking past with children were holding children back and saying "Stand back, let people pass" and words to that effect. It was so beautiful there yesterday.

 

Does anyone else feel like the times we are living in are surreal ??? It is like living in a dream like state

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

 

Where did you find this? I could do with a link to forward the original

It tells you the website on the advert but dont know how genuine the website is. But Twitter name is spelt different than website so beware.

Edited by majortom10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found this post very interesting, thanks for the idea Sharon.

Up here, N.E. the place is fairly quiet, not ghost town though, apart from food shops. The last time I went was Thursday and it was like Christmas. I shop monthly so didn't want much and got everything I did want.

I've been thinking about panic buying and think it is just circumstances rather than panic. The schools are closed so extra needed for that. Lots of people are working from home so will need more food. Restaurants and cafes closed so people who usually eat out will have to buy more food. People trying to social distance therefore not shopping so often and buying for a longer time.

I think most people are good and things will settle down a bit after this first weekend.

One more thing does anyone know anyone who has the disease yet?  We have extremely low numbers up here so I haven't heard of anyone, just wondering about other places. Apart from London that is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in a market town between Winchester, Fareham and Southampton which is in the Sunday Times Best Places to Live in the UK published today. Older people still out and about. Have butchers, grocers etc locally who are well stocked. We do our main shop at the largest Sainsburys in the UK but most shelves were empty when we went apart from the clothing section.

I have a gift shop in Wickham which I have decided to temporarily close. We had plenty of customers but I don't want my shop to be the reason for people to go out so I am going to take orders by phone/email/facebook and deliver or post them as I have lots of hand sanitisers.

My TV is not working well so I went to John Lewis in Southampton today. Only a handful of cars in West Quay. It just felt so wrong to be out. Then I found out lots of people had gone to Lee on the Solent so it was impossible to be socially distant among the crowds. 

I have volunteered locally for whatever is needed and  as so many supermarkets are desperate for staff I might make some inquiries. I want to do my bit to help wherever I can.

Keep well, stay safe

Cathy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I live in a market town between Winchester, Fareham and Southampton which is in the Sunday Times Best Places to Live in the UK published today. Older people still out and about. Have butchers, grocers etc locally who are well stocked. We do our main shop at the largest Sainsburys in the UK but most shelves were empty when we went apart from the clothing section.

I have a gift shop in Wickham which I have decided to temporarily close. We had plenty of customers but I don't want my shop to be the reason for people to go out so I am going to take orders by phone/email/facebook and deliver or post them as I have lots of hand sanitisers.

My TV is not working well so I went to John Lewis in Southampton today. Only a handful of cars in West Quay. It just felt so wrong to be out. Then I found out lots of people had gone to Lee on the Solent so it was impossible to be socially distant among the crowds. 

I have volunteered locally for whatever is needed and  as so many supermarkets are desperate for staff I might make some inquiries. I want to do my bit to help wherever I can.

Keep well, stay safe

Cathy

Good on you Cathy. 

We walk along Lee on the Solent every Saturday but turned round and came back to Warsash Common, which was much quieter. 

I thought John Lewis was closed? Perhaps it's from tomorrow or something. 

Keep safe

Andy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Good on you Cathy. 

We walk along Lee on the Solent every Saturday but turned round and came back to Warsash Common, which was much quieter. 

I thought John Lewis was closed? Perhaps it's from tomorrow or something. 

Keep safe

Andy 

Thanks Andy. That is a nice walk isn't it? JL is closing at 6pm on Monday & staff are being redeployed. M&S in West Quay was quiet, even though they had most of their food in stock.

Cathy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wife and I live in a large(ish) town in Berkshire. Praise the Lord we are still in gainful employment and we are still travelling to work every day as we have key worker jobs. I may be redeployed into another role in around a week to cope with demand elsewhere. The roads are vastly quieter - so nice for journey times and it must be doing wonders for the air quality.

 

Like many others state, major grocery stores are  depleted, although better in the last 24 hours or so. Having chatted to a couple of small store owners, they are doing a roaring trade - biggest revenues ever. Silver lining for the 'little man/woman'.

 

Town centre very quiet all week but surprisingly busy on Saturday even though all the eateries had closed and a number of other retail stores had opted to close.

 

Had a 7 to 8 mile walk in a local forest early morning and was pretty much deserted. Could not attend Baptist Church this morning - CLOSED - but listened to service online instead.

 

Had cruises booked on Ventura imminently (cancelled and waiting for requested refund) and Arcadia in July (waiting for the P&O cancellation so we can get the full refund also). Not the end of the world - I'm sure she'll have a long list of things for me to do instead !!!!!

 

Stay safe everyone - in my prayers ☺️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Bless you Sarah, thank you. 

She works in the critical care unit and is having to tell Cancer sufferers that their treatment could stop!!! 

The knock on effect is frightening... 

Andy 

I've just had the sad news that my 48 year old nephew died at 7 o'clock tonight from cancer. I'm not posting for sympathy, but to say that our nurses are incredible people, and have enough to do without having to have their workload increased by idiots who think they're invincible,  running around spreading this virus. Whew that feels better.

Avril 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well we live in France so we are on lockdown. We have a big garden so lots to keep us busy and a holiday rental to up keep although this year looks not so good.  However we have had clear direction on what we can and can't do we all recieved a SMS from the government because they had told the mobile phone companies to send it to everyone. Basically we can go out for food shopping medical reasons and exercise on our own within 2km from our house.  A friend told me she went to the supermarket and was given gloves to wear everyone 2 meters apart  and 50 people only allowed into the supermarket at any one time.  Whatever your point of view we are reasonable clear on what we can do and what consequences we have if we fail to comply.  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've just had the sad news that my 48 year old nephew died at 7 o'clock tonight from cancer. I'm not posting for sympathy, but to say that our nurses are incredible people, and have enough to do without having to have their workload increased by idiots who think they're invincible,  running around spreading this virus. Whew that feels better.

Avril 

Oh no Avril... 

I'm so sorry to hear that, terrible news. 

Our sincere thoughts are with you and your family. 

Andy & Michelle x

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...