P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I accept that I could have possibly phrased my original post a little better but, in my defence, I did NOT say that we were going to do it, nor did I ever say that we would disobey the rules. 1+1=2, not 3! It was a genuine question, not a statement of intent. The problem, as I see it, is that even if you are the type that obeys the rules (as we have done religiously from the start of this) it is difficult to understand them at times and, as Graham and others have pointed out, difficult to follow the logic of them. The responses to my question have highlighted that perfectly. The thought that someone might go to their local town for a pub lunch causes outrage. But if you call into a shop and then have a pub lunch next door that might be deemed OK under common sense. And that was my point. Will people really adhere to those rules when they don’t stand up to scrutiny? 

As for the question would I scrap tiers, I think there’s a genuine case for that, as a lot of MP’s are now saying. I am a great believer in taking responsibility for your own actions and managing your own risks.  All shops, pubs, restaurants etc are now Covid secure. Everywhere we have been we have felt safe. My wife has a neurological condition and I am an over 50’s male carrying too much weight! We therefore decided to shield more than the law required us to, as we considered ourselves to be higher risk. We took that decision without a law. It was common sense. Our daughters are both healthy and in their 20’s. Their risks from the disease are negligible. Should their lives be impacted as much as ours currently are? I would say no. Whatever rules are in place, there will always be groups of idiots who have parties or dance in the streets etc. They probably account for far less than 1 percent of the population. Should the other 99% plus be subject to restrictions because of these idiots, even though they will disregard those restrictions and behave like idiots anyway? With the stage we are at with this pandemic now, not least with the economy, I would probably favour national restrictions on those activities that are deemed the most ‘risky’ and then leave it to people to take additional precautions if they feel that, due to age or other factors, they are too risky for them. I’m not sure that the nanny state approach is the right one, but I also appreciate that some people are either incapable or unwilling (or both) to exercise common sense so, as a result, we end up where we are! 

Hotels and restaurants imo have become very vivid safe but they seem the big difference between tier 2 and tier 3.

I emailed my local MP to question our new tier.

49 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Also, I've just booked my flu jab by phoning the nearest Boots branch, for the 7th December. 

I’ve just phoned and booked mine too, 3rd December for me.
I had been trying and failing to book online, but called them once I’d read your post so thank you 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

A moment for us to reflect upon 

Nurse.thumb.jpg.1463ff83dd939f228f6ca2c82de4d98e.jpg

As I am sitting here this afternoon I am reflecting back on this past week.
My first shift of three, I got to work to find out I was being floated to the covid unit. Okay. Deep breath. Nothing I haven’t already been through.
As I got to the unit, you could feel a shift in the energy that I have not felt for a few months now. I grabbed my PPE, found my assignment and without hesitation the charge nurse saw me and said your patient in room ** is dying. Just like that.

These nurses see this every day and covid has normalized this for some. I had such a pit in my stomach knowing that out of my five patients one could die with just me by their side that night. These patients are scared. As a nurse, there is no worse feeling than feeling hopeless when you have done all you can do & have your patient tell you all they want now is for it to be over so they can go home.
After an extremely long night, I went to the bathroom and cried for the first time in my year of nursing. I cried because I know so many people that are no longer taking masking and social distancing seriously. I cried because this illness is affecting those of all age groups. I cried because covid isn’t just getting worse, it already is worse. We are seeing a spike in cases now just as bad as we did in March. The people were applauding healthcare workers a few months ago and now I see those same people saying it’s okay to get together in groups for the holidays. I know it isn’t easy not seeing your family and loved ones especially this time of year, but I can assure you it won’t be any easier from a hospital room with very little other human contact. On behalf of healthcare workers, we can’t fight this alone. We need our communities to come together and put the greater good first.
We are your nurses. We are fighting but we are tired. Please do your part and we will do ours ❤️

Sorry, but can you please tell us where you got this from. There are so many items that don't ring true, that I am a little suspicious.

The pouting picture is also a little worrying, and the way the mask is just hanging round her neck is something no health professional would do.

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I accept that I could have possibly phrased my original post a little better but, in my defence, I did NOT say that we were going to do it, nor did I ever say that we would disobey the rules. 1+1=2, not 3! It was a genuine question, not a statement of intent. The problem, as I see it, is that even if you are the type that obeys the rules (as we have done religiously from the start of this) it is difficult to understand them at times and, as Graham and others have pointed out, difficult to follow the logic of them. The responses to my question have highlighted that perfectly. The thought that someone might go to their local town for a pub lunch causes outrage. But if you call into a shop and then have a pub lunch next door that might be deemed OK under common sense. And that was my point. Will people really adhere to those rules when they don’t stand up to scrutiny? 

As for the question would I scrap tiers, I think there’s a genuine case for that, as a lot of MP’s are now saying. I am a great believer in taking responsibility for your own actions and managing your own risks.  All shops, pubs, restaurants etc are now Covid secure. Everywhere we have been we have felt safe. My wife has a neurological condition and I am an over 50’s male carrying too much weight! We therefore decided to shield more than the law required us to, as we considered ourselves to be higher risk. We took that decision without a law. It was common sense. Our daughters are both healthy and in their 20’s. Their risks from the disease are negligible. Should their lives be impacted as much as ours currently are? I would say no. Whatever rules are in place, there will always be groups of idiots who have parties or dance in the streets etc. They probably account for far less than 1 percent of the population. Should the other 99% plus be subject to restrictions because of these idiots, even though they will disregard those restrictions and behave like idiots anyway? With the stage we are at with this pandemic now, not least with the economy, I would probably favour national restrictions on those activities that are deemed the most ‘risky’ and then leave it to people to take additional precautions if they feel that, due to age or other factors, they are too risky for them. Just because you ‘can’ do something doesn’t mean that you ‘have’ to. I’m not sure that the nanny state approach is the right one, but I also appreciate that some people are either incapable or unwilling (or both) to exercise common sense so, as a result, we end up where we are! 

Selbourne - I agree with every word. People need to take appropriate action, depending on their own circumstances.  This Nanny State approach is quickly dragging the entire country into a quagmire that will take years to get out of.

If you want to eat out in a Covid safe environment,  why shouldn't you? It's not as if people are being forced at gunpoint into the nearest Harvester. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

As for the question would I scrap tiers, I think there’s a genuine case for that, as a lot of MP’s are now saying. I am a great believer in taking responsibility for your own actions and managing your own risks.  All shops, pubs, restaurants etc are now Covid secure. Everywhere we have been we have felt safe. My wife has a neurological condition and I am an over 50’s male carrying too much weight! We therefore decided to shield more than the law required us to, as we considered ourselves to be higher risk. We took that decision without a law. It was common sense. Our daughters are both healthy and in their 20’s. Their risks from the disease are negligible. Should their lives be impacted as much as ours currently are? I would say no. Whatever rules are in place, there will always be groups of idiots who have parties or dance in the streets etc. They probably account for far less than 1 percent of the population. Should the other 99% plus be subject to restrictions because of these idiots, even though they will disregard those restrictions and behave like idiots anyway? With the stage we are at with this pandemic now, not least with the economy, I would probably favour national restrictions on those activities that are deemed the most ‘risky’ and then leave it to people to take additional precautions if they feel that, due to age or other factors, they are too risky for them. Just because you ‘can’ do something doesn’t mean that you ‘have’ to. I’m not sure that the nanny state approach is the right one, but I also appreciate that some people are either incapable or unwilling (or both) to exercise common sense so, as a result, we end up where we are! 

I fully understand your plight Selbourne and my first  response was based purely on what

I would do and never based on what you should do. I was going on what I would do and as you

can see from my next post,  after your more detailed post I have said in your shoes ,I would expect to be adopted into The village if you have nothing else nearby rather than travel miles to the next shop. My first post would stand  if there was shops nearby in your tier but as the is not , we will have to rely on our common sense ,which you are doing .

I hope that clarifies my feelings on the subject :classic_smile:

Just an after thought can you not ring your local council,  if you think you need to know if your

doing the right thing ?

I have just got off the phone with my doctor and it is still not looking good trying to get me 

up Sheffield onto my follow up body scanner & heart surgeon appointment .these appointments

are getting taken up with covid & emergency's .:classic_sad:

I just hope the Tiers all end up a thing of the past soon !

You and your wife take care and keep safe Selbourne :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, but can you please tell us where you got this from. There are so many items that don't ring true, that I am a little suspicious.

The pouting picture is also a little worrying, and the way the mask is just hanging round her neck is something no health professional would do.

This may be the original source. She’s an Irish nurse, and I’d say it’s genuine:

https://m.facebook.com/mollyelizabeth.francis

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 2

These populist reference to a ‘nanny state’ - the term used to be ‘welfare state’,  with similar phrases such as ‘cradle to grave’.

How did the concept of governments looking after entire populations, rather than just specific segments, become so debased for political purposes?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

These populist reference to a ‘nanny state’ - the term used to be ‘welfare state’,  with similar phrases such as ‘cradle to grave’.

How did the concept of governments looking after entire populations, rather than just specific segments, become so debased for political purposes?

Harry, methinks you are confusing your Nannies!

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This may be the original source. She’s an Irish nurse, and I’d say it’s genuine:

https://m.facebook.com/mollyelizabeth.francis

That is true Harry I got it from a friend who e-mailed me from the Dublin area .

Just for the record I have never owned a social  media site account nor would 

I ever want to  .I have  enough with you lot :classic_wink::classic_biggrin:

Molly is a nurse who comes from Dublin area .I would say  anyone who doubts she is real

and has a mush book account simply check her out like Harry seems to have done .

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

That is true Harry I got it from a friend who e-mailed me from the Dublin area .

Molly is a nurse who comes from Dublin area .I would say  anyone who doubts she is real

and has a mush book account simply check her out like Harry seems to have done .

I thought it a bit strange that her previous post to this one was in 2016..........just saying.

17 minutes ago, kalos said:

I don't think it matters where it comes from - the idea is to make us pause and think what it might be like working as a health professional at the moment.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, kalos said:

Is she the one who sings about seafood?. Alive alive oh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps she had a holiday imposed. That was a long one.🤣

Dermotsgirl has it right.  What does it matter?  No reason why it shouldn't be entirely genuine, but whether or not it is, it's a fair description of the pressures all medical staff are working under right now.

And it's an equally fair description of the total mismatch between encouraging people to stand outside their house clapping once a week and actually paying all the people involved a fair wage, recruiting and retaining enough of them, and actually supporting them by taking the right action to reduce the numbers being hospitalised.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, kalos said:

So when she says there is a spike in cases as bad as in March, she is talking about Dublin. Nothing to do with the UK, so fake news.

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps she had a holiday imposed. That was a long one.🤣

Or even had two accounts one for close family & friends that is locked off to them 

and the other which you other mushes can browse .

Just had a chat with some of my family who do use mush world and they can lock posts off 

so you would only see what they want fully public .Regardless of date.

So that leaves us with "Do you get the message ,she was putting over ?"

Or maybe disappointed that she does not look like Hattie Jacques :classic_unsure:

The choice as always is yours !

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Dermotsgirl has it right.  What does it matter?  No reason why it shouldn't be entirely genuine, but whether or not it is, it's a fair description of the pressures all medical staff are working under right now.

And it's an equally fair description of the total mismatch between encouraging people to stand outside their house clapping once a week and actually paying all the people involved a fair wage, recruiting and retaining enough of them, and actually supporting them by taking the right action to reduce the numbers being hospitalised.

Having seen the state that my niece's face was early in the pandemic I would take the picture at face value.  Having masks sealed to you face for a 12 hour shift is no joke.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

It’s a common expression Harry. Not intended to be political, but of course we can always rely on you to make anything so 😉 

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry Harry, as I just said, to let people believe that the spike in the UK is as bad as it was in March, is irresponsible fear mongering

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So when she says there is a spike in cases as bad as in March, she is talking about Dublin. Nothing to do with the UK, so fake news.

She never mentioned Dublin but if you want to believe what she says is fake that is your choice 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

She never mentioned Dublin but if you want to believe what she says is fake that is your choice 

So where is she based? There is no spike in UK hospitals as bad as in March.

You can't just post scare stories without a factual basis.

Edited by wowzz

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

So where is she based?

You can't just post scare stories without a factual basis.

Have you actually looked at the number of NHS hospitals struggling at the moment - even in the rural county which you live in.  This is serious.  There's a very limited capacity, and we're coming up to peak flu season, which in itself is sufficient to swamp hospitals - without Covid on top.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry Harry, as I just said, to let people believe that the spike in the UK is as bad as it was in March, is irresponsible fear mongering

Keep an eye on Medway, which is where I live.  Infections still rising rapidly and the hospitals are struggling to keep up.

Or don't keep an eye on Medway if you would rather think that everything is ok 

• Like 4