Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I never mentioned 'the good old days' All I said was that during WW2 people were much healthier than they are today.  Try googling www.nutrition.org.uk>wartimefood. It even mentions  the declining infant mortality rates. 

Avril

Death rate per 100,000 children under 5 in 1940 was 75.84. Today it is 0.4.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1041714/united-kingdom-all-time-child-mortality-rate/

Sorry, the facts don't support your rose tinted view of the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Total rip off  - you pay extra for the legs that aren't there!

 

Oh right ! So if we don't want to eat turkey legs ,wings ,pay for a bag of giblets and 

a turkey neck plus the fact it costs more in energy to cook a great big beast and as you say

you don't fancy eating curries for the next few months when your only cooking for two .

They can work out good value -you get what you pay for ,a bit like buying your Wagu beef 

and some one saying ,that's a rip off .Your buying a choice cut that you want minus the legs .

Value is what consumers are prepared to pay .

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

Oh right ! So if we don't want to eat turkey legs ,wings ,pay for a bag of giblets and 

a turkey neck plus the fact it costs more in energy to cook a great big beast and as you say

you don't fancy eating curries for the next few months when your only cooking for two .

They can work out good value -you get what you pay for ,a bit like buying your Wagu beef 

and some one saying ,that's a rip off .Your buying a choice cut that you want minus the legs .

Value is what consumers are prepared to pay .

We always get a small crown because there are only ever two of us for lunch and we don't want to eat turkey for more than Christmas day.  We have talked about having some other meat but never do because it is traditional to have turkey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We have Bubble and Squeak made with all the leftover veg served with cold turkey, pork pie and any cold meats that are in the fridge, homemade piccalilli and  beetroot. Sometimes I enjoy the Boxing Day make-do dinner better than the Christmas one.

Avril

Pauline often does this too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ten days to go and I hope you are all feeling bright and cheery today :classic_unsure:

 

Remember the good old days when we used to eat birthday cake after someone

had blew all over it?  Wow , we were wild & crazy in those days ...:classic_biggrin:

 

Microsoft have released a festive advent calendar this Christmas.
No chocolates just a load of updates every time you open your windows.  


Christmas is going to be so much different this year not having all my family

around Christmas day getting merry and sitting around the piano ...

wishing someone could play it .:classic_huh:

 

I decided to shoot my own turkey this year.
Scared the hell out of everyone else in the Asda store.:classic_wink:

 

animated-have-a-nice-day-image-0001.gif.ed3a2bd6fcd181bafd0dbf8083e55bb9.gifand keep safe everyone ! :classic_biggrin:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

I decided to shoot my own turkey this year.
Scared the hell out of everyone else in the Asda store.

 

 

Oh goodness.... I had a mental image of you doing that and nearly spat my tea out. I’ve obviously got a warped sense of humour.......🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Oh goodness.... I had a mental image of you doing that and nearly spat my tea out. I’ve obviously got a warped sense of humour.......🤣

I have learned to put my cup down and swallow any food and drink before I read any of kalos's posts.🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am very easy to please with food and will try anything but I detest coriander, coconut and beef.

Love coriander especially on a ruby.Can't get it in our part of Italy,so we grow it in pots.Had it in Lidl UK the other day with label saying grown in Italy slapped on it,lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

You can laugh bro, but people during the war were far healthier than they are now.😉

Sis

The both of us were not war babies sis.My Dad lived on lard all his life and I unwittingly was raised on it till  I got married.He lived to 92,so perhaps it wasn't that bad.He would never buy tinned pineapple,cos in the war it was just flavoured turnips and still thought it was now.Cheers,bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kalos said:

 

Oh right ! So if we don't want to eat turkey legs ,wings ,pay for a bag of giblets and 

a turkey neck plus the fact it costs more in energy to cook a great big beast and as you say

you don't fancy eating curries for the next few months when your only cooking for two .

They can work out good value -you get what you pay for ,a bit like buying your Wagu beef 

and some one saying ,that's a rip off .Your buying a choice cut that you want minus the legs .

Value is what consumers are prepared to pay .

We buy a crown. This year it was a crown with wings. We were looking for a crown with wings and legs, but couldn't find one. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Love coriander especially on a ruby.Can't get it in our part of Italy,so we grow it in pots.Had it in Lidl UK the other day with label saying grown in Italy slapped on it,lol.

We find cilantro is a good alternative. Our friends in Florida use it all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We buy a crown. This year it was a crown with wings. We were looking for a crown with wings and legs, but couldn't find one. 🤣

 

🎶Crown on the run🎶 without legs :classic_unsure: Paul Mccartney  maybe ? :classic_wink:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know about the tinned pineapple which was turnip!  We do have for breakfast some tined fruit in juice, to which I add banana and grapes or satsumas, plus yogurt for me.  I think tinned pineapple chunks, especially Dole when you can get them, are the very nicest tinned fruit, and pretty well comparable to fresh.  I don't feel like dealing with a fresh  pineapple at 7.30 a.m.!  Do any of you approve of tinned fruit?  I know some people, including my daughter, think it is the lowest of the low.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We find cilantro is a good alternative. Our friends in Florida use it all the time.

Well, it would be a good alternative, as it is coriander!

Cilantro is the Spanish for Coriander.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I didn't know about the tinned pineapple which was turnip!  We do have for breakfast some tined fruit in juice, to which I add banana and grapes or satsumas, plus yogurt for me.  I think tinned pineapple chunks, especially Dole when you can get them, are the very nicest tinned fruit, and pretty well comparable to fresh.  I don't feel like dealing with a fresh  pineapple at 7.30 a.m.!  Do any of you approve of tinned fruit?  I know some people, including my daughter, think it is the lowest of the low.

I used to love tinned fruit when I was growing up, but probably because of the sweet syrup it was tinned in.  Last time we had any, quite a few years ago,  I think it must have been tinned in spring water, not the same at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We always get a small crown because there are only ever two of us for lunch and we don't want to eat turkey for more than Christmas day.  We have talked about having some other meat but never do because it is traditional to have turkey.

I read an interesting article about Christmas traditions and while most of us now eat Turkey if we were Victorians it would have been goose, if Elizabethans beef, haunches of venison and lots of March-pane.

 

We have a turkey for Christmas Day but we will be having a Brexit Christmas dinner this year, same as a normal one but with no Brussels.
 

Actually seriously I can’t get hold of Brussels sprouts so far, not even frozen ones. My husband is delighted as he can’t stand them but I have pointed out that they are on order for next week again so he is not getting off that lightly! Given that everything else I ordered came I’m beginning to wonder if he has bribed the delivery driver to ditch the sprouts.
 

I also have venison on order for the Christmas week so going slightly Elizabethan. Nothing beats a venison stew on a cold day.


We usually get a large turkey and freeze what is left to make curries or chowder in the new year. 
 

Getting hungry talking about all this food.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I used to love tinned fruit when I was growing up, but probably because of the sweet syrup it was tinned in.  Last time we had any, quite a few years ago,  I think it must have been tinned in spring water, not the same at all.

My mum used to use the syrup from the fruit to mix in with jelly. I had forgotten all about that so thanks for  bringing back a nice childhood memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Death rate per 100,000 children under 5 in 1940 was 75.84. Today it is 0.4.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1041714/united-kingdom-all-time-child-mortality-rate/

Sorry, the facts don't support your rose tinted view of the past.

I suppose it all depends on what you read, and how you personally interpret it. I enjoy an intelligent disccusion wowzz, which I thought this was going to be, but for some reason you seem to be extra testy, along with a few others, recently and your sniping at the end or your replies aren't imho necessary. Maybe it wasn't mean't how I read it,  and if so I apologise, but it's pointless entering into a discussion where I feel my views are totally dismissed as baseless because they don't agree with yours, and that I'm 'looking through rose-tinted glasses' 

Avril

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...