Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

The worst we had was a few years ago and it had snowed really heavy and it sat

pretty thick on our house roof. Days passed by and there it sat(must have done a good job 

with the loft insulation )

One day we heard such a rumble and when I went outside ,sure enough the roof was clear of

snow but it had brought down a big part of the facia boards and guttering with it .:classic_ohmy:

That is the only part of winter cruising/ holidays that bothered me and you find out that 

we have bad weather back home , part of me is only happy, once home and I can see

that their is no damage to our property.

 

I know the feeling, if we have had bad weather back home when we are away I am always anxious even though we have brilliant neighbours who keep an eye on the house for us and have my sister's phone number for emergencies.  We got back from one cruise to find that we had 2 new fence panels on the boundary of our garden that is open to common land.  Our neighbours had seen them broken by the wind and purchased new ones for us and with the help of their son had put them in for us.  We would do the same for them should it be necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I hope everyone is ok after such a stormy night. The wind and the heavy rain here in West Sussex was pretty awful. Thankfully it does seem to be subsiding slightly now.

We had howling winds and heavy rain during the evening but it subsided before we went to bed and looking around we don't seem to have anything to clean up this morning.  I hope that everyone here is ok. I saw on the news that some people have had their homes flooded, it must be horrendous for them on top of everything else that is going on this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The storm hit overnight and wow, did that wind blow. As I am still in my dressing gown the first task after dressing is to check for damage, hopefully having my ridge tiles lifted and re bedded in new mortar a few weeks ago will prove to be a good decision, funny thing is the plastic ridge weighted down with lead panels has blown off my mini greenhouse but the lightweight greenhouse itself is still where i left it 🤔

 

Anyone remember the great storm? I slept through it and only took notice when the local radio reported that the motorway was being closed because a police patrol had been overtaken by a night watchmans hut. they did not  say whether he was still inside 😁

 

I just lost 1 ridge tile that night but the local wood blew down except for trees around the edges and a large tree was firmly embedded in a house roof.

Edited by davecttr
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The storm hit overnight and wow, did that wind blow. As I am still in my dressing gown the first task after dressing is to check for damage, hopefully having my ridge tiles lifted and re bedded in new mortar a few weeks ago will prove to be a good decision, funny thing is the plastic ridge weighted down with lead panels has blown off my mini greenhouse but the lightweight greenhouse itself is still where i left it 🤔

 

Anyone remember the great storm? I slept through it and only took notice when the local radio reported that the motorway was being closed because a police patrol had been overtaken by a night watchmans hut. they did not  say whether he was still inside 😁

 

I just lost 1 ridge tile that night but the local wood blew down except for trees around the edges and a large tree was firmly embedded in a house roof.

We had very strong winds last night, but the only noticeable change is everything in the garden has had a shuffle around, despite my best efforts to tie things down. I quite like the new layout😊

I remember the great storm, when they were going to have to rename Sevenoaks Oneoak... 

Andy 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I never used to think about the wind until 5 years and our chimney actually cracked under the strength of the wind.  Luckily we live in a bungalow so we very quickly spotted a damp spot on the ceiling of the lounge before any serious damage was done but it was still a big job.

It certainly is. The scaffolding was a nightmare for me, It made me feel imprisoned. Not that I've been in one to find out I hasten to add😁

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We had very strong winds last night, but the only noticeable change is everything in the garden has had a shuffle around, despite my best efforts to tie things down. I quite like the new layout😊

I remember the great storm, when they were going to have to rename Sevenoaks Oneoak... 

Andy 

 

 

We were in Lanzarote. We had a scam at work where colleagues picked up your car from Gatwick and took it to the office returning it before your return. I picked up my car from the airport and there was a note.    By now you will have noticed the damage to your roof. We took your car and left it under the lean-to at Sevenoaks, now called one oak.😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I hope everyone is ok after such a stormy night. The wind and the heavy rain here in West Sussex was pretty awful. Thankfully it does seem to be subsiding slightly now.

We've woken up this morning to a glorious day. Clear blue skies, sunshine and light winds. A lovely crisp winter's day and no damage as far as I can tell🤞

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We had very strong winds last night, but the only noticeable change is everything in the garden has had a shuffle around, despite my best efforts to tie things down. I quite like the new layout😊

I remember the great storm, when they were going to have to rename Sevenoaks Oneoak... 

Andy 

 

 

Sky have just reported that the highest wind speed recorded last night was 104mph. That was at the needles. That must have made your midnight stroll along the seafront a bit wild🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We had very strong winds last night, but the only noticeable change is everything in the garden has had a shuffle around, despite my best efforts to tie things down. I quite like the new layout😊

I remember the great storm, when they were going to have to rename Sevenoaks Oneoak... 

Andy 

 

 

Remember that well.By some miracle I zigzagged my way to South Ockendon that morning to find the loft that I was installing tanks in was now open plan.No need for a light anymore,lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The storm hit overnight and wow, did that wind blow. As I am still in my dressing gown the first task after dressing is to check for damage, hopefully having my ridge tiles lifted and re bedded in new mortar a few weeks ago will prove to be a good decision, funny thing is the plastic ridge weighted down with lead panels has blown off my mini greenhouse but the lightweight greenhouse itself is still where i left it 🤔

 

Anyone remember the great storm? I slept through it and only took notice when the local radio reported that the motorway was being closed because a police patrol had been overtaken by a night watchmans hut. they did not  say whether he was still inside 😁

 

I just lost 1 ridge tile that night but the local wood blew down except for trees around the edges and a large tree was firmly embedded in a house roof.

That was the one that Michael Fish said wasn't going to happen!!! 

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That was the one that Michael Fish said wasn't going to happen!!! 

Avril

He was never allowed to forget that was he!
I so remember that storm and all the trees that came down. I recall driving into Epsom, Surrey where I worked and had to drive under a tree that had fallen across the main road. How daft was that. Certainly would not do that now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still windy down here with heavy showers, some of hail.  Been out to right the dustbin, luckily it was empty.

 

The great storm was the year we moved down here and we had a hotel on the coast overlooking the bay with 10ft picture windows and I remember being frightened that they were going to break they were vibrating that much! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We've woken up this morning to a glorious day. Clear blue skies, sunshine and light winds. A lovely crisp winter's day and no damage as far as I can tell🤞

Avril

It must be blowing across to us Avril, still cold,

Image may contain: text that says 'BREAKING NEWS Wearing a mask inside your home is now highly recommended. Not so much to prevent Covid-19 but to stop eating.'

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

That was the one that Michael Fish said wasn't going to happen!!! 

Avril

 

57 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Bloody hake news.

 

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

He cod it wrong again.. 

 

Something fishy going on here !   Could it be a red herring ? :classic_unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a lovely morning after a pretty wild night.  No damage anywhere, as far as I could see when we were out.  Plenty of tree debris in the roads and on the pavements.

 

So many posts to catch up!  I can’t possibly respond to all topics but I’d like to commiserate over the cat-loss and laugh/commiserate over dog-storm Bella’s escapade.

 

I liked the look of Wowzz’s Wagu beef.  I’ve never had it.  We had good grass-fed Dorset beef.  Here’s my pics

It was excellent but, of course, way too big for us.  So, roast beef for Sunday lunch today, then I’ll slice the remainder and freeze it, with gravy, for those dark, dismal January and February days.  Roast dinner without the effort!

 

5012BA42-B0E2-4244-90DE-59A0629A3EC8.jpeg

605244DD-A934-404A-9052-8D74A938E1D4.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

What a lovely morning after a pretty wild night.  No damage anywhere, as far as I could see when we were out.  Plenty of tree debris in the roads and on the pavements.

 

So many posts to catch up!  I can’t possibly respond to all topics but I’d like to commiserate over the cat-loss and laugh/commiserate over dog-storm Bella’s escapade.

 

I liked the look of Wowzz’s Wagu beef.  I’ve never had it.  We had good grass-fed Dorset beef.  Here’s my pics

It was excellent but, of course, way too big for us.  So, roast beef for Sunday lunch today, then I’ll slice the remainder and freeze it, with gravy, for those dark, dismal January and February days.  Roast dinner without the effort!

 

5012BA42-B0E2-4244-90DE-59A0629A3EC8.jpeg

605244DD-A934-404A-9052-8D74A938E1D4.jpeg

Bones in Tommy,s doggie bag please.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We've woken up this morning to a glorious day. Clear blue skies, sunshine and light winds. A lovely crisp winter's day and no damage as far as I can tell🤞

Avril

We have been out for a walk and yes it is a lovely crisp winter's day, perfect for walking if you are wrapped up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...