Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That's good news that your cardio specialist wants a chat with you Kalos and hopefully a future treatment plan can be arranged.

 

 

 Cheers mate ,been a long time coming but I don't mind .:classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

With over 53,000 new  cases today the writing is on the wall. 

Could the massive increases in testing taking place in tiers 3 and 4 be accounting for the higher numbers, and of course all of these people will have no symptoms. Or are lateral flow tests not included?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I agree Pete.  We have only left the house to go for a daily walk and I have done food shopping once a week and earlier in the year, before the first lockdown, I went to my niece's house twice a week to care for her children while she went to work as a ITU nurse until she was diagnosed with cancer and has been at home herself.  We don't need laws to make us do what is right but unfortunately some people think that advice means that they don't need to stay home and can go out and about exactly as they have always done in the past so I think that to stop this more draconian measures will be needed.  I also think that the government were wrong to let people mix in groups of up to 3 households on Christmas Day, did they think that Covid knew that it was Christmas and took a day off ?   I am starting to think that peop!e are becoming too complacent.

I am really grateful for you and Pete taking part in the vaccine trials.Lets hope the vaccine is able to be rolled out as planned and that if any new restrictions/tiers are announced tomorrow that everyone abides by them whether advisory or legal

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Could the massive increases in testing taking place in tiers 3 and 4 be accounting for the higher numbers, and of course all of these people will have no symptoms. Or are lateral flow tests not included?

Maybe, on the government site it also tells you how many tests carried out and there doesn't seem to be any real rise in tests. Some of it could be catching up from Christmas but it is worrying regardless, plus the number of people going into hospital is escalating in a lot of areas. Bearing in mind we are still only in December I think it is going to get worse, I have been watching to see whether the Astra vaccine had been approved as that was expected anytime now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I am really grateful for you and Pete taking part in the vaccine trials.Lets hope the vaccine is able to be rolled out as planned and that if any new restrictions/tiers are announced tomorrow that everyone abides by them whether advisory or legal

Thank you, as I have said before I think that if any of us can do any small thing to help to bring this situation under control then we should do what we can.  I have never felt at risk when going to the trial centre.  Like you I am hoping that every will abide by whatever is announced tomorrow.  For the moment we have to use our own judgement about what we feel is safe for ourselves and right for us to do not to spread the virus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My face visor was expensive and covered my full face.

I am now wearing a face mask indoors.

I had a medical grade face mask on at the eye hospital where I caught Covid19.

I bet a divers helmet would work a treat. Undo the little window, take a bite out of your Mcmuffin. Shut window. Simple🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

And of course it’s not just Londoners. The police have stopped people from Swansea, Cardiff and Newport who aren’t supposed to visit the Brecon Beacons too. Also a mini bus full of visitors from Cheltenham!

My Daughter in Law is from Wrexham and has relatives in North Wales, she told me that people have been crossing over into England for shopping trips.

It seems that it is happening everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you so much for your support Sarah.

Since March we have been obsessed with social distancing, wearing masks/visors not mixing and staying local except for work.

Graham.

Normally, tomorrow we would be jumping in the car to go to a hotel for 3 nights over new year.  In October when in tier 2 we decided to give it a miss this year as we didn't fancy being in a hotel with 200 potentially contaminated folk. Once we are allowed we will be out and about. I must admit to a little jealousy regarding your jaunts. If we could.........I suspect some sour grapes and not just that merlot left over from Christmas day. Good luck and best wishes to you both.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yip, we would normally have met my brother and his wife at a hotel for a couple of days for New Year. Haven't seen them since February though and no hotel this year. Looks like we will be watching the fireworks from our bedroom window this year. We sort of face you Pete so if you have any please let me know so we can cheer you on ! (Am guessing we are about 45 degrees to the right of your front door 😉 )

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

Cases are up, deaths continue apace.  It’s bloody bleak midwinter.  These next few weeks are going to be tough, for everyone.

 

Chin up folks!  We’ll get through this

 

Together 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Yip, we would normally have met my brother and his wife at a hotel for a couple of days for New Year. Haven't seen them since February though and no hotel this year. Looks like we will be watching the fireworks from our bedroom window this year. We sort of face you Pete so if you have any please let me know so we can cheer you on ! (Am guessing we are about 45 degrees to the right of your front door 😉 )

No fireworks, a bit anti social at midnight with little kids living in houses close by, and it upsets our dog.

 

Being a bit cryptic. If you are about 45 degrees from us, you must be living in the place where once you fill your case for a cruise, you reopen it and put extra clothes in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly can’t remember the last time we bothered staying up for new year (we’re early birds not night owls).  It was probably when Clive James did his great new year TV shows.

Anyway - we decided independently that we’d definitely be around at midnight on 31 December to get this bugger gone!!

(excuse my Somerset patois - it’s really not such a bad word where I was brought up)

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Cases are up, deaths continue apace.  It’s bloody bleak midwinter.  These next few weeks are going to be tough, for everyone.

 

Chin up folks!  We’ll get through this

Yes, I was reading that NHS leave has been cancelled in some areas and that a few hospitals are considering setting up triage tents as they are being overwhelmed. Now that prospect really frightens me, I’ve read the triage guidance written at the start of this back in March.

 

Hogmanay will be quiet this year. We normally have a large party or go away with family. This year just the 2 of us, some good food and an old bottle of whisky to toast the new and hopefully better year.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Eglesbrech
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

No fireworks, a bit anti social at midnight with little kids living in houses close by, and it upsets our dog.

 

Couldn’t agree more about the fireworks. My poor dog shakes with the loud explosions and will wake anyone in the neighbourhood that hasn’t  already been disturbed with his howling!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Normally, tomorrow we would be jumping in the car to go to a hotel for 3 nights over new year.  In October when in tier 2 we decided to give it a miss this year as we didn't fancy being in a hotel with 200 potentially contaminated folk. Once we are allowed we will be out and about. I must admit to a little jealousy regarding your jaunts. If we could.........I suspect some sour grapes and not just that merlot left over from Christmas day. Good luck and best wishes to you both.

We cancelled our 3 nights away for new year too.

Best wishes to you and your family too and hopefully next year is a lot better than this one.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Tom for your comments but as we are in tier 3 we can still travel where we want.

During last lockdown we strictly adhered to all the rules and on Christmas day it was just the 2 of us and some furry friends.

Pauline loved the shops by the way and bought lots of thing's.😇

IMG_20201225_104856.jpg

I am also in Tier 3 and stand by what I said previously and spent Christmas Day with my wife and did not go out like previous years for lunch with family or even visited them. Government guise lines for Tier 3 off the government website is as follows- "where possible, you should stay local and avoid travelling outside your local area, meaning your village or town, or part of a city. Travelling 85 miles just to go shopping at an outlet centre in my eyes was irresponsible. That is why the country is in the current mess that it is because too many people are blatantly ignoring guidelines or adjusting them to fit their own agenda.

Edited by majortom10
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pete14 said:

No fireworks, a bit anti social at midnight with little kids living in houses close by, and it upsets our dog.

 

Being a bit cryptic. If you are about 45 degrees from us, you must be living in the place where once you fill your case for a cruise, you reopen it and put extra clothes in it.

 

Looks like we got it wrong. Have had another look at your photo and am guessing that there is a church  on a hill in the distance so we are not 45 degrees from you but 180 degrees and don't put more in the cases. We thought it was another church 😉 

 

Am guessing we are about a mile or so away you will be glad to know 😉 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Couldn’t agree more about the fireworks. My poor dog shakes with the loud explosions and will wake anyone in the neighbourhood that hasn’t  already been disturbed with his howling!

 

Our vet recommended these for our nervous cat. Worked brilliantly. We have since recommended it to friends with nervous dogs and they are thrilled with the result. Give them a go - they are herbal

 

Dorwest Herbs Scullcap & Valerian Tablets - 100 tablets: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

 

Looks like we got it wrong. Have had another look at your photo and am guessing that there is a church  on a hill in the distance so we are not 45 degrees from you but 180 degrees and don't put more in the cases. We thought it was another church 😉 

 

Am guessing we are about a mile or so away you will be glad to know 😉 

 

 

 

 

 

At least you have understood the cryptic comment. The church on the hill is where James Brindley is buried. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Presto2 said:

 

Our vet recommended these for our nervous cat. Worked brilliantly. We have since recommended it to friends with nervous dogs and they are thrilled with the result. Give them a go - they are herbal

 

Dorwest Herbs Scullcap & Valerian Tablets - 100 tablets: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

We have tried scullcap and valerian with a previous dog and it was OK. We tend to use Adaptil which seems to take the edge off his nervousness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I honestly can’t remember the last time we bothered staying up for new year (we’re early birds not night owls).  It was probably when Clive James did his great new year TV shows.

Anyway - we decided independently that we’d definitely be around at midnight on 31 December to get this bugger gone!!

(excuse my Somerset patois - it’s really not such a bad word where I was brought up)

This time around : happy new year: has some truth in it, or good riddance 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am also in Tier 3 and stand by what I said previously and spent Christmas Day with my wife and did not go out like previous years for lunch with family or even visited them. Government guise lines for Tier 3 off the government website is as follows- "where possible, you should stay local and avoid travelling outside your local area, meaning your village or town, or part of a city. Travelling 85 miles just to go shopping at an outlet centre in my eyes was irresponsible. That is why the country is in the current mess that it is because too many people are blatantly ignoring guidelines or adjusting them to fit their own agenda.

This Christmas day was our first in 42 years together that it was only the 2 of us celebrating Christmas.

York is part of my sales area so I could have made a call but since we have been in Tier 3 that was the first time I had gone more than 65 miles from home.

 

 

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...