Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, kalos said:

Wowzz has a good stockpile 

of his wines .

Thanks Kalos. Topped up on Tesco today to make sure, and we have 72 toilet rolls in case of an emergency bowel misfunction.

In all seriousness, it makes little difference to us on a day to day basis. We don't drive miles to a shopping mall,  just 9 miles or so to Lincoln or Gainsborough,  and fortunately Mrs W doesn't like stuffed monkeys! (In joke)

My real concern is my 94 year old Mum, that according to government advice, I can't visit, although she does have some neighbours that are building a wooden horse next door to her, and they are walking around Tesco,  dropping earth through their trousers. To be honest,  three eighty year olds jumping over a horse might attract some attention but they are happy to give it a go. Hopefully,  the tunnel will be completed  before tier 9 is reached.

I'm waiting for the critics to tell me I'm wrong, but would it be awful if I drove 150 miles to see my mum, given that she has had her first Pfizer injection?

 

  

Edited by wowzz
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I was at Lampeter for 3 years ... a real Welsh speaking part of Wales. People who don't get the Welsh in Wales do my head in. My parents lived in a lovely place with a Welsh name ... someone English moved in and wanted to change the name because it was difficult to spell. Words fails .... suppose I see what you mean.  

My father went to school there (Lampeter), and my uncle ( who I was named after- my proper name obviously!) was a vicar in Dale.  I went to the parish church there some 30 years ago to pay my respects, and hopefully I will do the same again this May.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We watched Norwegian Joy cruising Alaska last night on Quest.

The go carts and vertical drop waterslide on board  looked exciting.

I thought it was absolutely awful - no wonder cruising gets a bad name. 

At least I know now which cruise line to avoid at all costs. Words fail me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm waiting for the critics to tell me I'm wrong, but would it be awful if I drove 150 miles to see my mum, given that she has had her first Pfizer injection?

 

I'm sure that was tongue-in-cheek wowzz, however that's not why I've replied. It made me remember JVT saying today that even though the vaccine prevented the virus from causing serious illness or death, they don't yet know if it prevented you from being contagious. They are testing it now and should know the results in about two weeks. It's the first I'd heard about that.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm sure that was tongue-in-cheek wowzz, however that's not why I've replied. It made me remember JVT saying today that even though the vaccine prevented the virus from causing serious illness or death, they don't yet know if it prevented you from being contagious. They are testing it now and should know the results in about two weeks. It's the first I'd heard about that.

Avril

She had her first jab just before Christmas,  and her second is due three weeks later. 

So, by mid January she should be pretty safe. How wrong is it to see your mother who you haven't seen for 5 months and who lives alone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’ve coped for 5 months why not simply stretch it to 6 till she’s had the full vaccination and keep everyone as risk-free as you can?  
That said, there was talk yesterday of the high protection given by the first dose, so that might mitigate?

I wouldn’t normally comment but you did request views ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wowzz said:

She had her first jab just before Christmas,  and her second is due three weeks later. 

So, by mid January she should be pretty safe. How wrong is it to see your mother who you haven't seen for 5 months and who lives alone?

Is she going to get the second jab three weeks after the first? My understanding, probably wrong, is that the scientists have now decided to leave a gap of 12 weeks to enable more people to have their first dose.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm sure that was tongue-in-cheek wowzz, however that's not why I've replied. It made me remember JVT saying today that even though the vaccine prevented the virus from causing serious illness or death, they don't yet know if it prevented you from being contagious. They are testing it now and should know the results in about two weeks. It's the first I'd heard about that.

Avril

I think the tests JVT 😇 was talking about are the ones Porton Down is conducting to check the efficacy of the vaccines against the new variants of COVID. To find out if the vaccines stop you being contagious they will have to monitor the millions of sufferers worldwide over several months to see if anyone caught it from someone who was vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Is she going to get the second jab three weeks after the first? My understanding, probably wrong, is that the scientists have now decided to leave a gap of 12 weeks to enable more people to have their first dose.

 

 

Correct, It is reported that Pfizer vaccine will also be changed to a 12 week second dose and those who have not yet had that dose will get re scheduled appointments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

If you’ve coped for 5 months why not simply stretch it to 6 till she’s had the full vaccination and keep everyone as risk-free as you can?  
That said, there was talk yesterday of the high protection given by the first dose, so that might mitigate?

I wouldn’t normally comment but you did request views ...

 

I agree.

As both our parents are no longer with us we sadly have not had to make this decision.

We have not had anyone in our house since March or been in anyone's house since March because my December heart attack put me at high risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like my mum will not be getting her second vaccination, so, in theory, in a couple of weeks time she will reach the maximum protection level that one dose can generate.

That, I suppose, will be when I need to make a decision, as I don't want to wait a further 9 weeks before she receives the second dose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

And me - 16th

 

Close your eyes and imagine a lovely birthday card I've sent you :classic_smile:

 

Nice isn't it  ?  I'm not sending one really but it's the thought that counts. :classic_wink::classic_biggrin:

 

Also anyone else who is due a birthday please do the same :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wowzz said:

She had her first jab just before Christmas,  and her second is due three weeks later. 

So, by mid January she should be pretty safe. How wrong is it to see your mother who you haven't seen for 5 months and who lives alone?

It's not wrong wowzz,  it's natural, and if I was fortunate enough for my mum to still be here, I would, quite honestly, be wrestling with the same problem. I'm sure that there was something said yesterday about visiting bubbles?  I wasn't criticising you at all wowzz, and my  advice would be to check the tier restrictions and maybe you can find some wiggle room.🤞 I'm not advocating blatantly breaking the rules, but there could be something that will let you see your mum.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Looks like my mum will not be getting her second vaccination, so, in theory, in a couple of weeks time she will reach the maximum protection level that one dose can generate.

That, I suppose, will be when I need to make a decision, as I don't want to wait a further 9 weeks before she receives the second dose.

I assume you are now in tier 4 wowzz where the instruction is to stay home and definitely not travel outside your area, which unfortunately would make a visit to your Mum against the rules. A harsh situation to be in, especially as you possibly might have been able to visit her earlier, and maybe even have her in your support bubble.

However I doubt you will be on your own, many others are probably facing the same situation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I think the tests JVT 😇 was talking about are the ones Porton Down is conducting to check the efficacy of the vaccines against the new variants of COVID. To find out if the vaccines stop you being contagious they will have to monitor the millions of sufferers worldwide over several months to see if anyone caught it from someone who was vaccinated.

One of the questions asked of JVT yesterday during the briefing was 'if you've been vaccinated  could you still be contagious?' He said that they didn't know for certain and it would be one of the tests that were being carried out, that's why we would still be required to  wear a mask and keep to the 2 metre rule even  after being vaccinated.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wowzz said:

She had her first jab just before Christmas,  and her second is due three weeks later. 

So, by mid January she should be pretty safe. How wrong is it to see your mother who you haven't seen for 5 months and who lives alone?

 

I can see where your coming from Wowzz and at her age you begin to think 

"How many more chances are left to see her ? "  She won't be around forever

but then again there could be years left in the old girl.

No easy answers here mate but Mums welfare comes first and you alone will make that choice.

Do you have access to any of her Drs or Medical team you could give a call to and chat over 

any options you may have . I feel your pain mate no easy answers .

For what it's worth I have a daughter who lives other side of town and has no transport and 

I gave her strict instructions not to travel and put herself at risk .

The upshot is we have seen her and the grandkids three times in 14 months by us parking

outside her house and talking through a car window .

I know this would not be an option for you and your Mum but I really hope you find a solution 

where you and Mum get to meet .. Good luck :classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spoke to my Grandson who is 21 today, he has stayed in Sheffield where he is at University.

Never in a .million years did we think that he would be spending his special birthday like this and also without his Father.

Edited by Bloodaxe
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Just spoke to my Grandson who is 21 today, he has stayed in Sheffield where he is at University.

Never in a .million years did we think that he would be spending his special birthday like this and also without his Father.

Happy 21st birthday wishes for your grandson today Eric.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...