Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Several brands are available as concessions in department stores.

Joules have several stores especially in the English Lake District.

All my best Polo shirts are Ralph Lauren.

Graham.

IMG-20200820-WA0111.jpg

Ralph Lauren are my favourite polo shirt as well.  I go for the small logos though.

 

Did treat myself to a bomber collar Fred Perry last year as well.  Then saw the same again on sale, 33% off last week, in my size!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My late mam always told us.

Dinner was lunchtime.

Tea was nighttime.

Supper was a light snack before bedtime.

 

Everyone had breakfast

and for the working classes ,we had Dinner, which was our main meal .

School kids would have a school dinner which was a main meal with pudd' to follow.

Hence we grew up 12- 14:00 was dinner, unless you were working age ,then it would

become your ..Snap ,Piece, Bit or other word dependant on where you lived .

The above words were used 24 hours a day so regardless of which shift you were on 

or time you ate it it still had the same name.

Meanwhile the upper crusts would be having there Lunch around midday which would 

be a lighter meal as they would be having Dinner much later in the evening and a lot

grander than our working class meat & 3 veg .

I think they named them other way round as they had no desire to be eating there dinner

at the same time as us lot !

Back to the lower classes and now it was time for Tea ,which would be 4 pm onwards.

Get a sandwich and a few buns /cake, down us school kids before going out to play .

The snobs , sorry meant upper classes saw what was going off and were having none of it !

They felt left out ! So they also decided to have an afternoon tea ,which can be bought by 

almost anyone these days on cruise ships and posh cafes but it has to come on a plate 

that resembles a multi story car park (With prices to match) with  sandwiches and a few

buns /cake but most important ..No crusts ! You have to remember that most of the upper

crusts back then were lazy sods, never did a days work and were far too lazy to chew food .

 

Six o'clock at night and our mams & dads could be having a late tea but over in upper class

world, they would be settling down to their dinner which would blind owt we had for our 

dinner at midday .

 

Same as breakfast, supper was called that by everyone. This meal was a case of a light snack

and a drink before going up the old wooden stairs for the night .

I must have done well as a kid ,as well as my school dinner, I always came home to a 

cooked dinner as well ! So I had my dinner at school and then came home to a dinner

which was really my tea. Dads would be left in the oven on a low light until he got home.

 

Regarding supper,  I did say we are all the same with suppers , with the proviso of 

Scotland ..  !

Let me explain , they are the same unless you are stood in a Chippy .

I remember as a young kid one of my uncles said to me .." Do you want a Fish Supper?"

Now it's just turned 5pm ..He's asking me do I want ..My supper ?:classic_ohmy:

 

I was having none of it and turned to the lady behind the counter and said to her ..

" Can I have Fish and Chips please ? "... There was a slight pause , then she said ..

" Och .. You want a Fish Supper ..Open or wrapped ?" 

Which I enjoyed but pleased to say I did not have to go to bed after eating them .

 

Right that's the food sorted .. What's next  .. Cadburys Cream Eggs  ! :classic_smile:

 

How do you eat yours ? :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kalos said:

 

Everyone had breakfast

and for the working classes ,we had Dinner, which was our main meal .

School kids would have a school dinner which was a main meal with pudd' to follow.

Hence we grew up 12- 14:00 was dinner, unless you were working age ,then it would

become your ..Snap ,Piece, Bit or other word dependant on where you lived .

The above words were used 24 hours a day so regardless of which shift you were on 

or time you ate it it still had the same name.

Meanwhile the upper crusts would be having there Lunch around midday which would 

be a lighter meal as they would be having Dinner much later in the evening and a lot

grander than our working class meat & 3 veg .

I think they named them other way round as they had no desire to be eating there dinner

at the same time as us lot !

Back to the lower classes and now it was time for Tea ,which would be 4 pm onwards.

Get a sandwich and a few buns /cake, down us school kids before going out to play .

The snobs , sorry meant upper classes saw what was going off and were having none of it !

They felt left out ! So they also decided to have an afternoon tea ,which can be bought by 

almost anyone these days on cruise ships and posh cafes but it has to come on a plate 

that resembles a multi story car park (With prices to match) with  sandwiches and a few

buns /cake but most important ..No crusts ! You have to remember that most of the upper

crusts back then were lazy sods, never did a days work and were far too lazy to chew food .

 

Six o'clock at night and our mams & dads could be having a late tea but over in upper class

world, they would be settling down to their dinner which would blind owt we had for our 

dinner at midday .

 

Same as breakfast, supper was called that by everyone. This meal was a case of a light snack

and a drink before going up the old wooden stairs for the night .

I must have done well as a kid ,as well as my school dinner, I always came home to a 

cooked dinner as well ! So I had my dinner at school and then came home to a dinner

which was really my tea. Dads would be left in the oven on a low light until he got home.

 

Regarding supper,  I did say we are all the same with suppers , with the proviso of 

Scotland ..  !

Let me explain , they are the same unless you are stood in a Chippy .

I remember as a young kid one of my uncles said to me .." Do you want a Fish Supper?"

Now it's just turned 5pm ..He's asking me do I want ..My supper ?:classic_ohmy:

 

I was having none of it and turned to the lady behind the counter and said to her ..

" Can I have Fish and Chips please ? "... There was a slight pause , then she said ..

" Och .. You want a Fish Supper ..Open or wrapped ?" 

Which I enjoyed but pleased to say I did not have to go to bed after eating them .

 

Right that's the food sorted .. What's next  .. Cadburys Cream Eggs  ! :classic_smile:

 

How do you eat yours ? :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

 

 

Whole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

What’s everyone having for dinner today? I’m doing a roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner today with lots of veg may even take a photo if I remember.

I’m asking to give a change of subject and some dinner ideas 😋

Chicken casserole and bro's olive oil dumplings. Pear and blackberry upsidedown cake. Warming and comforting, perfect for this frosty day.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kalos said:

 What's next  .. Cadburys Cream Eggs  ! :classic_smile:

 

How do you eat yours ? :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

 

 

Pretty damn quick with the scoddy size of them these days, and don't get me started on waggon wheels and walnut whips, or whips as they are sometimes called, not even a walnut on top.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cadbury’s cream eggs are my absolute favourite since childhood. No good for the waistline though!!! I should really avoid them, I don’t think any of my cruise dresses would feel comfortable at the moment, good thing I am not cruising anytime soon 

 

Michelle

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Chicken casserole and bro's olive oil dumplings. Pear and blackberry upsidedown cake. Warming and comforting, perfect for this frosty day.

Avril

Hi sis,hooked on those dumplings then.Does the upside down cake fall out if you tipped it the right way round.Bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Bratwurst & baked potato for us tonight.  Haven't decided on veg yet.


Love bratwurst and curry ketchup, lived in Germany for 16 years took me ages to find some curry ketchup to turn it into currywurst 

AF300A88-48B2-4CE1-802F-B92BDAAEE763.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brian1 said:

Hi sis,hooked on those dumplings then.Does the upside down cake fall out if you tipped it the right way round.Bro.

Yes, it's supposed to😜. Fruit on the bottom, ginger sponge on top, bake, cool, turn out, and voila, upsidedown cake the right way up. Serve with cream, ice cream or custard😋

I have to admit though bro, it's hard to tell which way is actually up at the moment.😉

Sis

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Pretty damn quick with the scoddy size of them these days, and don't get me started on waggon wheels and walnut whips, or whips as they are sometimes called, not even a walnut on top.

And a big Mac. Nothing big about them,🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Yes, it's supposed to😜. Fruit on the bottom, ginger sponge on top, bake, cool, turn out, and voila, upsidedown cake the right way up. Serve with cream, ice cream or custard😋

I have to admit though bro, it's hard to tell which way is actually up at the moment.😉

Sis

Great,perhaps it's my brain that's upside down,bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have never had a big Mac I don't eat junk food, Just creme eggs, waggon wheels and walnut whips😁

Same here, no mayo on my chicken donner. I remember when you couldn't ride your bike home if you were carrying a Wagon Wheel. Toooo big. Munchmellows were. Enormous.

 

Ps  spell check changed donner to dinner. New healthy spellcheck. And ride your bike to rude your bike🤔

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, zap99 said:

And a big Mac. Nothing big about them,🤣

I thought the same when I opened a tube of Pringles. I'm sure the crisps used to fill the tube. Now they look lost and rattle around they are so tiny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought the same when I opened a tube of Pringles. I'm sure the crisps used to fill the tube. Now they look lost and rattle around they are so tiny.

 

Try a bag of walkers crisps, bag contains 10% crisp and 90% air ,the latter giving the 

illusion that the bag is full of crisp :classic_unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lincslady said:

We could be in for more arguing here!  Supper in most of the UK nowadays does refer to the evening meal, whether just you or with invitees (some hope) and can be at any time from about 6 p.m. onwards.  In the north of England, the meal at around 6 p.m. used to be called 'tea' and supper was just before you went to bed.  Now everyone is more casual, 'dinner' is only used for formal occasions  - or of course for the midday meal in the north!  And the school meal is still usually called dinner rather than lunch.

 

I await disagreements with interest - at least a change from politics.

Not in the part of the UK I come from Supper has always been if needed a light snack before bed. Main meal of the day at 6pm onwards has either been called Dinner or Tea depending how "posh" you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...