P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning all.  Well I don't feel  much better, but I did join an FB group for Total Hip Replacement and they all mentioned ICE.  It's so obvious!  Why on earth didn't the hospital tell me to ice it? 

I slept well which is something, but am still feeling somewhat shaky.  Don't really fancy food unless it's something like a hot cross bun and cup of tea.  I am getting off the chair every hour and walking round the dining room on the crutches.  Keeping  moving is probably a good idea.  Hey ho.

Jane, that pay rise is pathetic.  I am sure there will be a u-turn on that.  The nurses on my ward were knackered and that's just on orthopaedics, although we had a couple of elderly ladies with dementia who took most of their time.

• Like 15

It’s becoming like Piccadilly Circus here this morning. First the postman bought a parcel we were expecting, then came back with the post. Ten minutes later another postman arrived with another parcel my daughter had ordered to be delivered here. I already have three here for her! Next delivery is my Tesco shopping. At least I’m getting some exercise going back and forth to open the door😗

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

From Twitter.  I haven’t checked the facts and figures but I assume they are verifiable without too much effort

The annual cost of doubling the pay rise for the UK's 670,000 nurses from 1% to 2% (£174m) is less than the amount we wasted on unusable FFP2 facemasks from Ayanda and Pestfix (£204m).

🙄

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

I hope there is a rethink of your payrise.I'm sure the public would vote for you all to have a 100% pay rise!! 

That's so kind of you Ann.  It's comments like yours that make things worthwhile.  Jane.x

• Like 3

Morning everyone it feels a cool morning ,one of those days where my hands

are feeling the cold and I'm sat indoors at that :classic_ohmy: I did have the windows open 

to let fresh air in the house earlier , think I best let the heating have a whirl for

a while as best we will get today is a cloudy 6.c. Reading about the NHS so 

called pay rise really saddens me ,nothing short of an insult and no doubt some 

mealy mouthed MP will be quick to tell us all they are going without a pay rise this

year :classic_unsure: I would love to get hold of one of them and super glue them to one of our 

new smart motorway lanes that they deem safe and offer them 1% treatment should

they get hurt on one of them - rant over back to the real world .To all you NHS workers /

jabbers thank you and to everyone else, keep getting your jab and make our world a

safer place to live in and thanks to all who have .:classic_smile:

1379803663_imagesweekend.png.ae81893db302100adf61b7835048b90a.png& Stay safe :classic_love:

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

From Twitter.  I haven’t checked the facts and figures but I assume they are verifiable without too much effort

The annual cost of doubling the pay rise for the UK's 670,000 nurses from 1% to 2% (£174m) is less than the amount we wasted on unusable FFP2 facemasks from Ayanda and Pestfix (£204m).

🙄

I agree it's only a small amount, the concern I would have is that all public sector unions would demand they got the same rise. If you can get the other unions to agree that nurses deserve more and they won't press for parity, then I would be happy to triple it to 3%.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Morning all.  Well I don't feel  much better, but I did join an FB group for Total Hip Replacement and they all mentioned ICE.  It's so obvious!  Why on earth didn't the hospital tell me to ice it? 

I slept well which is something, but am still feeling somewhat shaky.  Don't really fancy food unless it's something like a hot cross bun and cup of tea.  I am getting off the chair every hour and walking round the dining room on the crutches.  Keeping  moving is probably a good idea.  Hey ho.

Jane, that pay rise is pathetic.  I am sure there will be a u-turn on that.  The nurses on my ward were knackered and that's just on orthopaedics, although we had a couple of elderly ladies with dementia who took most of their time.

Thanks Jean.  I agree it is pathetic for those who really deserve it.  It would just about be bearable if the govt. hadn't wasted millions on the stupid Track and Trace system and other things. We are where we are and there will be a lot of noise for a few days then it will all go away - apart for those for whom this is the final straw and who decide to transfer their skills to private practice.

Anyway, on to more important things - you.  Sorry that you're still very fragile but this is still extremely early days following a major operation.  Ice is a brilliant solution and I hope it helps.  It's definitely that hot-cross-bun time of year so you won't be short  of sustenance.  M&S are doing some lovely chocolate HCBs if they take your fancy. Take good care of yourself.  Best wishes.  Jane. X

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

Morning everyone it feels a cool morning ,one of those days where my hands

are feeling the cold and I'm sat indoors at that :classic_ohmy: I did have the windows open 

to let fresh air in the house earlier , think I best let the heating have a whirl for

a while as best we will get today is a cloudy 6.c. Reading about the NHS so 

called pay rise really saddens me ,nothing short of an insult and no doubt some 

mealy mouthed MP will be quick to tell us all they are going without a pay rise this

year :classic_unsure: I would love to get hold of one of them and super glue them to one of our 

new smart motorway lanes that they deem safe and offer them 1% treatment should

they get hurt on one of them - rant over back to the real world .To all you NHS workers /

jabbers thank you and to everyone else, keep getting your jab and make our world a

safer place to live in and thanks to all who have .:classic_smile:

1379803663_imagesweekend.png.ae81893db302100adf61b7835048b90a.png& Stay safe :classic_love:

Kaols, you never fail to cheer me up.  You have a good weekend too. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Haha 1

Jane I had a  major wallow in selfpity last evening, but today now feel a bit more resolute.  Not sure why the hospital doesn't recommend ice.  1.  it helps. 2, it's obvious.

My girlfriend is coming over to see me later today so that will cheer me up. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree it's only a small amount, the concern I would have is that all public sector unions would demand they got the same rise. If you can get the other unions to agree that nurses deserve more and they won't press for parity, then I would be happy to triple it to 3%.

I agree John.  It's not the first time it's happened to NHS staff and it won't be the last.  I think perhaps people were hoping for 2% by way of an acknowledgement but it was not to be.  Hey ho.  Jane. x  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Jane I had a  major wallow in selfpity last evening, but today now feel a bit more resolute.  Not sure why the hospital doesn't recommend ice.  1.  it helps. 2, it's obvious.

It's only to be expected Jean.  I think we all feel our vulnerability after a major life event - and this is one.  Not only have you had the major operation, you've also had the trauma of the actual fall.  Have a good natter with your friend this afternoon.  That will be a treat for you both - especially if she brings HCBs!  Be well. Jane.x

• Like 2

Jean - you are bound to feel sorry for yourself ; I did, having fallen in the first place and then having lots of morphine, anaesthetic etc.  Plus I was in hospital for a week, and I think you were only in a few days, so less time to recover.  Though trying to sleep in hospital is a nightmare, isn't it.  Particularly with dementia patients nearby, sadly.

I wonder if you have a 'perching' stool for the bathroom, borrowed from the NHS; it  is a huge help in putting on your pants, trousers etc., and sitting at the basin.  You are already climbing stairs, so doing pretty well.  Yes, I am quite a bit older than you, and did take longer to walk etc. than the women who had gone in for an elective new hip - a very different  thing to the broken bone.

All the best; you will feel better soon, and be getting outside with the spring flowers and sunshine.

• Like 3

Jean

I wonder if a TENS unit might help you.  Drug-free pain treatment and it won’t do harm, even if it turns out to do no good

Ask on your hip forum

You can get a cheapie one for under £50 and, if it’s good, you could upgrade to a super-duper one

It helped me with a frozen shoulder ... as you commented yesterday, codeine is a good painkiller but has unfortunate side effects

13 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Jean - you are bound to feel sorry for yourself ; I did, having fallen in the first place and then having lots of morphine, anaesthetic etc.  Plus I was in hospital for a week, and I think you were only in a few days, so less time to recover.  Though trying to sleep in hospital is a nightmare, isn't it.  Particularly with dementia patients nearby, sadly.

I wonder if you have a 'perching' stool for the bathroom, borrowed from the NHS; it  is a huge help in putting on your pants, trousers etc., and sitting at the basin.  You are already climbing stairs, so doing pretty well.  Yes, I am quite a bit older than you, and did take longer to walk etc. than the women who had gone in for an elective new hip - a very different  thing to the broken bone.

All the best; you will feel better soon, and be getting outside with the spring flowers and sunshine.

I was in hospital for a week too.  I had to wait for the THR for the right guy to do it.  If I had a partial, it would have been sooner, but as I said, because I am 74 and fit, the THR was the correct choice.

Had two lovely ladies in my ward and a couple of not so good.  One moaner who called the nurse every time the nurse was with one of us!  I swear someone needed a bedpan every hour, so you don't sleep.  It's now noon and I am feeling a lot more positive.  

eddie, I do have a Tens machine.  It's an idea.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hi Jean , well until your mate gets here you've got us lot and I will try and cheer 

you up . You have every right to feel sorry for yourself , all those medications that are

bunging you up . Ask your Dr for some Movicol powdered drinks, they are not to harsh

and could help you a bit. It must be a pain (pun intended ) not seeing all those nautical

people down at the harbour . I once could have come to visit you when I had my fruit& veg

boat but sadly it took me by surprise and and sank 22 miles south of Cleethorpes. 

The accident report claimed I had too many Leeks onboard !:classic_unsure:

Sat about being an ex air hostess cannot be easy for you as I know how active you lot are.

Did I ever tell you that I once dated an air hostess from Helsinki in my younger years ?

It never worked out ... I dropped her off at work one day and she just vanished into Finn Air.:classic_wink:

I see nurse Beckett is advising not to bend trying to get your pants on , good idea ,it's not like

your going out anywhere and if you get a fan to blow nice cooling air up towards your hips,

it may just give your loving hubby a boost after making all those lovely toasties for you :classic_love:

Take care Jean and stay safe :classic_smile:

5610a491f6bd9e3de6382c613309161e.gif.218048a9c1d24af229ebeaf0fdad5b44.gif  Good luck Jean !!   :classic_unsure:

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

🙄

Then there’s this

A5F656E1-8BB0-4E29-B440-AF5B9CE5BB81.png

• Like 9

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

I hope there is a rethink of your payrise.I'm sure the public would vote for you all to have a 100% pay rise!! 

They wont if there income tax or other taxes are increased even more than planned to pay for it. The money has to come from somewhere and we are already in severe debt as a country. My ex colleagues in the Fire Service are getting nothing as they are part of the pay freeze so at least they are getting 1% more than many. There also many key workers who have kept the country going over the last 12 months that are private sector not public and probably not getting any increase either and possibly on a lot less wage than nurses. RCN asking for 12-5% is laughable and if nurses vote to go on strike on the back of that they will lose a lot of public support which they quiet rightly had over the last 12 months. All emergency workers i.e. police and fire service deserve more than what they are getting.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They wont if there income tax or other taxes are increased even more than planned to pay for it. The money has to come from somewhere and we are already in severe debt as a country. My ex colleagues in the Fire Service are getting nothing as they are part of the pay freeze so at least they are getting 1% more than many. There also many key workers who have kept the country going over the last 12 months that are private sector not public and probably not getting any increase either and possibly on a lot less wage than nurses. RCN asking for 12-5% is laughable and if nurses vote to go on strike on the back of that they will lose a lot of public support which they quiet rightly had over the last 12 months. All emergency workers i.e. police and fire service deserve more than what they are getting.

I fully agree they should all get a pay rise but if memory serves me right the police and 

Fire service were stood clapping for the frontline services ,which are the nurses doctors,

the jabbers ,the cleaners etc who have worked in a risky covid world at their workplace's.

The police and fire service are "blue light "  key workers same as a supermarket shop 

worker is key or a sewerage worker ,a food delivery truck driver everyone has played a 

vital role in keeping us going, the list is (seems) endless and where would we have been

without them.  I wish we could reward them all but that would not be possible at the moment .

Someone said in an earlier post (John ??)  It would have been great to give the ICU  nurses 

at the very least 2% without the risk of others jumping onboard with " Hey what about me ? "

They didn't do it when they were out clapping for them , so why start now ?  There maybe 

a lot of grey areas in what makes a key/frontline worker but whoever they are or whatever

they were doing I am very grateful that we had them.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Yes, the money has to come from somewhere  - the same place that all the billions wasted on useless PPE comes from. Us. But of all the key workers I'd be amazed if any have worked remotely as hard,  or in such dangerous conditions,  as RCN members throughout this crisis. Many have died. Many more are physically and mentally exhausted,  directly as a result of policy decisions taken which created the second wave.

12.5% might sound laughable to you, but do you have the skills and qualifications to look after sick and dying patients?

We have a desperate shortage of nurses,  thanks to earlier cuts. We even make nurses pay for their training. If we're to recruit enough nurses to replace all those leaving soon it's going to need a big pay rise.

I don't begrudge them that, and it can come out of that £350m a week the NHS was promised as a Brexit Bonus.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Yes, the money has to come from somewhere  - the same place that all the billions wasted on useless PPE comes from. Us. But of all the key workers I'd be amazed if any have worked remotely as hard,  or in such dangerous conditions,  as RCN members throughout this crisis. Many have died. Many more are physically and mentally exhausted,  directly as a result of policy decisions taken which created the second wave.

12.5% might sound laughable to you, but do you have the skills and qualifications to look after sick and dying patients?

We have a desperate shortage of nurses,  thanks to earlier cuts. We even make nurses pay for their training. If we're to recruit enough nurses to replace all those leaving soon it's going to need a big pay rise.

I don't begrudge them that, and it can come out of that £350m a week the NHS was promised as a Brexit Bonus.

I agree that billions has been wasted with regards to PPE, all governments waste money but that has gone now and is non recoverable. If that money had not been wasted and the country was in a better position financially then of course I would agree that the work that nurses have done should be rewarded but not 12-5%.  I had many skills has a firefighter for over 30yrs and had the unfortunate position to go on strike numerous times and even though pay was part of it there were other issues but as usual with the UK media most members of the public were never made aware. Many public sector workers are on a lot less money than nurses and once you start giving one massive pay increases then the unions of all others will want the same for their members and arguably most deserve higher pay. We all know that the £350 million pounds a week Brexit Bonus never existed and never will. Interestingly there are many polls giving nurses support and say they should have a higher pay increase but if they were asked if we did that and had to increase income tax or VAT to pay for it then I guess that support would suddenly drop.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

They deserve a lot more.

Trouble is so do a lot of public sector workers i.e. police, fire, social care where do you stop and how is any pay rise going to be paid seeing the deficit the country is already in. Rightly the NHS have had a lot of support during the pandemic but rightly all emergency service workers get public support and not all have great pay. The fire service were awarded a 2% increase last July and have now had their pay frozen and a fully qualified competent firefighter is on a salary of £32000 for a 42 hr week and pay starts at less than £24000. How many people these days work 42 hrs many work 35 or 37 hrs for their basic salary.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1