Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Not long to wait. It's nice to know that many are now taking up the offer. My daughter had hers yesterday, and she phoned me tonight saying she feels terrible and is running a temperature. She'd taken some paracetamol and was on her way to bed.  She'll feel better tomorrow poor love. It's worth it in the end.

Avril

 

So worth it Avril. I hope she feels better today. Best wishes. Jane.x

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Manx buoy said:

It’s all kicking of over here now back in lockdown hopefully for only 3weeks but we’ve had 95 new cases the last 2 days apparently mostly the Kent variant so now there are 160 cases active with 80 of them in the age group 5-19 so it appears the younger generation are more susceptible to this variant. I hope it doesn’t happen the same when your schools open next week but any hopes of cruising in summer/autumn seem very distant now especially for us🇮🇲

Horrible set-back for you all, especially after your grand re-opening so recently. The age group is worrying and I have to admit, sadly, that I fear we may see the same happen here after the scools go back. Take care all. Best wishes. Jane.x

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear your daughter has some bad side effects from the vaccine Avril.

Hopefully she feels a lot better in the morning.

Graham.

She will I'm sure. It's a small price to pay to be safe, and like she said, 'it's better than the alternative'

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

She will I'm sure. It's a small price to pay to be safe, and like she said, 'it's better than the alternative'

Avril

Aw..... I hope your daughter feeling a bit better this morning - but she is absolutely right that a few days of feeling grotty is a much better alternative to Covid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Beckett said:

So worth it Avril. I hope she feels better today. Best wishes. Jane.x

Thank you Jane, I'm sure she will, they don't usually last for long. It's strange how the younger the age group, the worse the side effects. I would have thought it would be the opposite.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Thank you Jane, I'm sure she will, they don't usually last for long. It's strange how the younger the age group, the worse the side effects. I would have thought it would be the opposite.

Avril

I am sure she feels better soon, the dude effects don’t seem to last too long fortunately Michelle 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

She will I'm sure. It's a small price to pay to be safe, and like she said, 'it's better than the alternative'

Avril

I personally can confirm it certainly is better than catching covid19.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Manx buoy said:

It’s all kicking of over here now back in lockdown hopefully for only 3weeks but we’ve had 95 new cases the last 2 days apparently mostly the Kent variant so now there are 160 cases active with 80 of them in the age group 5-19 so it appears the younger generation are more susceptible to this variant. I hope it doesn’t happen the same when your schools open next week but any hopes of cruising in summer/autumn seem very distant now especially for us🇮🇲

I saw the news about your lockdown on TV and thought of you.

 

Hope it’s brought under control soon, but it’s an illustration for everyone that this won’t magically be over any time soon😔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Horrible set-back for you all, especially after your grand re-opening so recently. The age group is worrying and I have to admit, sadly, that I fear we may see the same happen here after the scools go back. Take care all. Best wishes. Jane.x

The schools were in a real state round here back in December. Attendance was down to just over 50% at one point.

 

Everyone will need to be incredibly careful next week when the schools reopen 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It's strange how the younger the age group, the worse the side effects. I would have thought it would be the opposite.

 

Morning Avril ,we were discussing the very same thing with our family and I thought the opposite. Apart from baby's that have to build up an immune system , I would think young adults have an immune that's raring to go and so reacts a lot faster .As we get older and slow down just like the rest of our body our immune gets slower so less harsher reactions in most cases .

That's my theory anyway ,which could be miles out . Glad your daughter has had her jab and I bet from your point of view ,it's one less thing to worry about for you .:classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Love this Graham - it's how having the vaccine makes us feel! Great news for Pauline. Best wishes. Jane.x

Thanks Jane.

I felt a sense of relief when I had my first vaccine last Wednesday even though I have had covid19 already.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Love this Graham - it's how having the vaccine makes us feel! Great news for Pauline. Best wishes. Jane.x

Thanks Jane.

Pauline was dancing after she booked her first and second vaccine jabs yesterday.

Graham x.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kalos said:

 

Morning Avril ,we were discussing the very same thing with our family and I thought the opposite. Apart from baby's that have to build up an immune system , I would think young adults have an immune that's raring to go and so reacts a lot faster .As we get older and slow down just like the rest of our body our immune gets slower so less harsher reactions in most cases .

That's my theory anyway ,which could be miles out . Glad your daughter has had her jab and I bet from your point of view ,it's one less thing to worry about for you .:classic_smile:

Pretty much sums it up kalos, as you get older the immune system slows down and is not as quick to detect cell defects, and loses the ability to react as quickly. Also with age comes a lot of illnesses that affect the immune system. However healthy elderly people can have strong immune systems and unhealthy young people weak systems. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all.

A bit overcast here today, but dry.

Avril, hope your daughter feels better today, but everyone says it's a small price to pay. 

Wonder how many parcels, I'll have delivered here for my daughter today? It was two yesterday - there are now four here waiting for collection. They are being sent here as it's my grand daughter's birthday later in the month, so she doesn't see them. 

Hope everyone enjoys their day and stays safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Pretty much sums it up kalos, as you get older the immune system slows down and is not as quick to detect cell defects, and loses the ability to react as quickly. Also with age comes a lot of illnesses that affect the immune system. However healthy elderly people can have strong immune systems and unhealthy young people weak systems. 

That is clear, however does the weaker immune systems of the elderly account for them having lesser reaction to the jab, and for younger people with strong immune systems a stronger reaction?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That is clear, however does the weaker immune systems of the elderly account for them having lesser reaction to the jab, and for younger people with strong immune systems a stronger reaction?

Every day's a school day.🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Pretty much sums it up kalos, as you get older the immune system slows down and is not as quick to detect cell defects, and loses the ability to react as quickly. Also with age comes a lot of illnesses that affect the immune system. However healthy elderly people can have strong immune systems and unhealthy young people weak systems. 

That's how I view it Phil with the exception of those with defective immune systems .

I think that's the very reason they set off inoculating the elderly first . God forbid that 

an elderly person gets infected as it could be that the virus gets hold before the immune reacts .

Yet in most younger people the immune races to attack the virus before it can take hold .

Obviously there will always be exceptions ,nothing is black & white when it comes to the virus .

Thanks for your confirmation that I was at least on the right track .:classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That is clear, however does the weaker immune systems of the elderly account for them having lesser reaction to the jab, and for younger people with strong immune systems a stronger reaction?

John, unrelated to this, but just to say thanks for a recommendation some while back for a Pride I-Go.  Bought the I-Go+ very recently to improve my range and it seems a solid well built bit of kit. Yet to try getting it into the car, but the two of us should hopefully manage!

 

What staggered me was that online, from a very reputable dealer, it was literally half the ‘High Street’ price, along with a full year’s onsite warranty.

 

Harry

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

That is clear, however does the weaker immune systems of the elderly account for them having lesser reaction to the jab, and for younger people with strong immune systems a stronger reaction?

I think in broad brush terms yes. As we are all different various reactions will occur, the stats to date suggest twice as many people react to the AZ vaccine than the Pfizer, but that is in the older cohorts. There are reports coming out of the US that several people have had nasty looking rashes as a side affect to the Moderna vaccine. The only thing that concerns me is that if younger people have reactions it may put some of taking the vaccine as some think they are invincible, a bit like some of us did when we were young I hasten to add.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to hear news of Pauline's vaccination bookings and everyone else's for that matter.

 

Genuine question - how are the vaccinations / bookings being allocated? Michelle (6 years younger than me) has had her first vaccination this week but I've heard nothing. Similarly my sister (older than me) has heard nothing but her partner (younger than me) is booked in.

 

I'm not bitter in any way and I am glad Michelle is vaccinated (and I would have happily given up my place to her) but I am genuinely intrigued as to how it's being managed? Is it just a case that I (along with my sister) are at a surgery with a larger number of patients to get through so there is a longer waiting list compared to where my wife goes ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Great to hear news of Pauline's vaccination bookings and everyone else's for that matter.

 

Genuine question - how are the vaccinations / bookings being allocated? Michelle (6 years younger than me) has had her first vaccination this week but I've heard nothing. Similarly my sister (older than me) has heard nothing but her partner (younger than me) is booked in.

 

I'm not bitter in any way and I am glad Michelle is vaccinated (and I would have happily given up my place to her) but I am genuinely intrigued as to how it's being managed? Is it just a case that I (along with my sister) are at a surgery with a larger number of patients to get through so there is a longer waiting list compared to where my wife goes ?

Pauline went onto the NHS site and it let her book.

Her friend rang her doctor and 119 without luck then after Pauline told her she went on to the NHS site and it let her book.

It wouldn't let her book her husband's but she tried later and it then let her book her husband's covid19 jabs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

John, unrelated to this, but just to say thanks for a recommendation some while back for a Pride I-Go.  Bought the I-Go+ very recently to improve my range and it seems a solid well built bit of kit. Yet to try getting it into the car, but the two of us should hopefully manage!

 

What staggered me was that online, from a very reputable dealer, it was literally half the ‘High Street’ price, along with a full year’s onsite warranty.

 

Harry

Glad you're happy with it Harry, it is just about the lightest of this type of powered chair, at only 19 kgs, some have a better footrest arrangement but the lightest of these is 23 kgs.

The prices do vary but the cheapest online price I saw at the time was £1450 and only about £150 less than I paid, however it is now down to just under £1300. 

The I go plus does have a few more advantages, including the neater folding footrest, but it is about 5kgs heavier.

Glad to see you back posting, we were starting to worry.

Edited by terrierjohn
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised to get a text message from my GP asking if I want the shingles vaccination as I am of an age to get it now. So, I've booked in for it on Monday afternoon - anything to keep me as healthy as possible is okay by me. Also looking forward  to when I have my 2nd covid vaccine at the end of April. Anything to get us back to normal, really looking forward to the day when we can visit a restaurant and have a lovely meal. 

Missed out during this pandemic with celebrating our silver wedding anniversary in 2020 and now my 70th birthday earlier this year. Fingers crossed that we get to go on our cruise in November 2021 on Ventura. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...