Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Host Sharon
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

 

Too true support your shops or lose them . One of my favourite shops used to be C&A

but they closed them in the UK. I also used to like the ex- army stores, I would come out 

looking like a Japanese warrior :classic_ohmy: Sad to say I fell out with them as I wanted to dress up 

not too flashy as the lowest ranked in the British army but every time I asked them what

rank that would be , they just kept on telling me "It's Private " :classic_unsure:

Highlight of our trips to Hamburg and many other cruise stops is a visit to C&A... 

Unlike most shops in the UK, they seem to have a full choice of colours and sizes in every range they sell.. 

Andy 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

M&S shops where food is sold are selling non food items.

Supermarkets like Asda,Tesco, Morrisons etc have been selling non food items during Lockdown 

 

Our daughter in law is the manager of a local Next Store, I can tell you they and others aren’t happy that M&S, Tesco, Sainsbury’s etc have been allowed to sell clothes just because they have a small food hall. Jokingly she said perhaps other clothing stores should start to sell food as well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our local Next store is closing in July, along with M&Co. It is a small shopping center so their closure will make a big difference in a rural community. On to brighter things, the sun is out so we might get a couple of hours on the patio.

 

I wonder if a couple of keyboard warriors will pay a visit today ? I doubt it  lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I realised yesterday after finding the receipt for fuel in the side pocket that I last filled the car up with fuel in early August last year , at £1.07 a litre, today its up to £1.23 a litre, covered just over 240 miles since then, most of that to. Runcorn & back to pick up something my wife bought on eBay. 

I know it's been said before, but you really need to try and use your car more than that. I know it's difficult with lockdown rules, but doing too little mileage causes all sorts of problems later on eg dried out seals, corrosion etc 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I’m in the midst of a much needed week off but today has been a reflective day thinking of all we’ve been through in the last 12 months, those we’ve lost, colleagues who have suffered unimaginably saving the lives of others, and the miracle of the vaccine development and roll out in such a short space of time.

 

Whilst I don’t post very often I read along as often as I’m able to and you are all in my thoughts through your struggles and good times. This forum has been a bit of a lifeline and reminded me of life outside of COVID-19.

 

Stay safe everyone and look forwards to brighter days ahead x

My grandaughter has her 2nd jab on Tuesday, and has booked two days off as she was in bed for 24 hours after the first one. She's a nurse who has done a lot of work on covid wards, and I can understand the stress of your work, as I can hear it in her voice and see it in her eyes often. We are thankful for the work that all NHS workers have done during this pandemic, so have a calm and relaxing break, you deserve that and much more. Thank you, and take care.

Avril

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

Our local Next store is closing in July, along with M&Co. It is a small shopping center so their closure will make a big difference in a rural community. On to brighter things, the sun is out so we might get a couple of hours on the patio.

 

I wonder if a couple of keyboard warriors will pay a visit today ? I doubt it  lol

We will be losing Debenhams at some point after lockdown is lifted, which is where I got a lot of my clothes from, also loosing Warehouse, which housed Burtons, Miss Selfridge, Top Shop and Topman. 
 

Filling the store the size of Debenhams covering 3 floors is going to be a huge task, the old BHS store became an indoor play area. 
 

I have however found a clothing supplier online during lockdown selling good quality clothing,  and have purchased a few winter jumpers from them and trousers which are the best fit and length I have bought for many years, so likely to stick with them going forward. Rarely shopped at M&S for clothes.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I'm on 40mg of simvastatin with no side affects.Thing is,I was 4 and half stone heavier when I last had a blood test.I've got to make the effort and get one.My OH is only on 20mg,but she has lost 2 stone also.Cheers,Brian.

Frank has high cholesteral and takes 20mg simvastatin.

I have high blood pressure, no cholesteral problem, 40mg simvastatin??? 

Ours is not to wonder why.....

Sis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Highlight of our trips to Hamburg and many other cruise stops is a visit to C&A... 

Unlike most shops in the UK, they seem to have a full choice of colours and sizes in every range they sell.. 

Andy 

 

I can recommend Cologne for C&A - not one, but two in the main shopping street (one that specialises in plus sizes).  Dusseldorf is home to their flagship department store and it's lovely!  I've been in one in Barcelona on a cruise tour but it was quite a small one.  As well as trendy stuff, it's very good for the 'mature' woman of ahem, generous proportions, who has little interest in fashion, ie, me 😊

 

As an aside, when I was a student my friend and I worked in C&A in Manchester city centre on a Saturday, and that taught me a lesson I will not forget.  Generally, when women ask for your opinion on what they are trying on, they so rarely want the truth, no matter how nicely you wrap it up! 

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

 

I can recommend Cologne for C&A - not one, but two in the main shopping street (one that specialises in plus sizes).  Dusseldorf is home to their flagship department store and it's lovely!  I've been in one in Barcelona on a cruise tour but it was quite a small one.  As well as trendy stuff, it's very good for the 'mature' woman of ahem, generous proportions, who has little interest in fashion, ie, me 😊

 

As an aside, when I was a student my friend and I worked in C&A in Manchester city centre on a Saturday, and that taught me a lesson I will not forget.  Generally, when women ask for your opinion on what they are trying on, they so rarely want the truth, no matter how nicely you wrap it up! 

Hi bringing back loads of good memories 20 odd years ago I worked at C&A at the Gateshead Metro Centre  before they closed  it’s amazing that they are still missed now.☹️

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi bringing back loads of good memories 20 odd years ago I worked at C&A at the Gateshead Metro Centre  before they closed  it’s amazing that they are still missed now.☹️

 

My brief time as a Saturday girl was in the seventies, so a long time ago, but I was amazed at how formal it was.  We were addressed as Miss xxxxx and the supervisors definitely had status.  I liked the discount too.  What I didn't care for was standing on my feet all day and then running for the train home at the end of the day; I was shattered!  Oh, and the people who wandered into the store 2 minutes before closing 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mrsgoggins said:

 

My brief time as a Saturday girl was in the seventies, so a long time ago, but I was amazed at how formal it was.  We were addressed as Miss xxxxx and the supervisors definitely had status.  I liked the discount too.  What I didn't care for was standing on my feet all day and then running for the train home at the end of the day; I was shattered!  Oh, and the people who wandered into the store 2 minutes before closing 😄

Yes we used to have loads of people running in at the last minute and we were open every day 10am till 8pm really long days our cashiers used to be in a kiosk 🤣 such a same they closed down in the uk 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We will be losing Debenhams at some point after lockdown is lifted, which is where I got a lot of my clothes from, also loosing Warehouse, which housed Burtons, Miss Selfridge, Top Shop and Topman. 
 

Filling the store the size of Debenhams covering 3 floors is going to be a huge task, the old BHS store became an indoor play area. 
 

I have however found a clothing supplier online during lockdown selling good quality clothing,  and have purchased a few winter jumpers from them and trousers which are the best fit and length I have bought for many years, so likely to stick with them going forward. Rarely shopped at M&S for clothes.

 

 

 

 

Our 2 localish Debenhams have both closed and being turned into student accommodation and luxury flats. 

I daresay they will put some pointless retail units on the ground floor to 'create jobs', but these will sit empty like so many around the country already are.. 

Andy 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

My grandaughter has her 2nd jab on Tuesday, and has booked two days off as she was in bed for 24 hours after the first one. She's a nurse who has done a lot of work on covid wards, and I can understand the stress of your work, as I can hear it in her voice and see it in her eyes often. We are thankful for the work that all NHS workers have done during this pandemic, so have a calm and relaxing break, you deserve that and much more. Thank you, and take care.

Avril


Thanks Avril having my second jab today is part of the reason I booked my time off as I was ropey for a couple days after the first one.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Highlight of our trips to Hamburg and many other cruise stops is a visit to C&A... 

Unlike most shops in the UK, they seem to have a full choice of colours and sizes in every range they sell.. 

Andy 

When American folk on RCI kept banging on about their Crown and Anchor society status and their platinum superplus gold baseball cap pin thing, I just flashed the label on my C&A dinner jacket. Gee how did you get a C&A tux, what status are you?🤣

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:


Thanks Avril having my second jab today is part of the reason I booked my time off as I was ropey for a couple days after the first one.

Good luck today. I do hope your after-effects are mild but look after and pamper yourself while you're at home. You deserve it. Best wishes. Jane.x

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:


I need to support them as most of my other shops (Dorothy Perkins, Wallis etc ) have  gone 😢

Roman, Next, and M&S(undies 🤫) for me. Luckily still all in Barnsley🤞

Avril

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, zap99 said:

When American folk on RCI kept banging on about their Crown and Anchor society status and their platinum superplus gold baseball cap pin thing, I just flashed the label on my C&A dinner jacket. Gee how did you get a C&A tux, what status are you?🤣

Snob😁😁😁😉

Avril

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

My grandaughter has her 2nd jab on Tuesday, and has booked two days off as she was in bed for 24 hours after the first one. She's a nurse who has done a lot of work on covid wards, and I can understand the stress of your work, as I can hear it in her voice and see it in her eyes often. We are thankful for the work that all NHS workers have done during this pandemic, so have a calm and relaxing break, you deserve that and much more. Thank you, and take care.

Avril

I hope she has no problems with her second vaccine Avril.

Is she your granddaughter who has her 30th birthday on Sunday?

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I hope she has no problems with her second vaccine Avril.

Is she your granddaughter who has her 30th birthday then?

Graham.

Yes it is. She contracted covid during first lockdown and just had a headache, took two paracetamol and was fine the next day. When she had her 1st jab, it knocked her off her feet for 24 hours, so because after effects are supposedly worse after the 2nd she's getting prepared in advance. Strange isn't it that the younger age group are feeling the worse after effects? I hope Pauline is alright after hers.

Avril

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi bringing back loads of good memories 20 odd years ago I worked at C&A at the Gateshead Metro Centre  before they closed  it’s amazing that they are still missed now.☹️

Last time we were in a C & A, was in Acapulco of all places!  It was a couple of years after they closed down in the UK.  Popped in for a few minutes to reminisce!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Last time we were in a C & A, was in Acapulco of all places!  It was a couple of years after they closed down in the UK.  Popped in for a few minutes to reminisce!

I can beat that,I popped into "Woolies" in Sydney in 2013,lol.They;re still popular in Aus.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Yes it is. She contracted covid during first lockdown and just had a headache, took two paracetamol and was fine the next day. When she had her 1st jab, it knocked her off her feet for 24 hours, so because after effects are supposedly worse after the 2nd she's getting prepared in advance. Strange isn't it that the younger age group are feeling the worse after effects? I hope Pauline is alright after hers.

Avril

Thanks Avril.

It's strange how your granddaughter had such a bad reaction to the vaccine jab but fortunately her covid19 infection was very mild.

Graham

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...