P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

A bright and breezy day down here and a temp of 6oC but a feel of 2. My hubby spoke to his neice in Sicily yesterday and they were saying it was cold at 22oC🙄.

Yes please, Rhubarb and ginger crumble for me too please. Rhbarb and ginger jam is nice too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Tell her I feel her pain, having just had a hip replacement after falling and fracturing it!!

Yes jean and your doing remarkably well walking your 1/2 mile  , have you still been able to take your lovely dog for her walks ?

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

🤣🤣 How can a Yorkshireman not like rhubarb!!? I use a little brown sugar to sweeten it and stem ginger in syrup, not the horrible powder. The secret is no water, or you end up with slush. Yuck

Avril

Rhubarb is my second favourite after goosegob crumble, nice and tart complimented by the sweetness of custard, cream, icecream or Carnation. You do realise you have started something Avril.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, purplesea said:

A bright and breezy day down here and a temp of 6oC but a feel of 2. My hubby spoke to his neice in Sicily yesterday and they were saying it was cold at 22oC🙄.

Yes please, Rhubarb and ginger crumble for me too please. Rhbarb and ginger jam is nice too.

Rhubarb and ginger gin is nice too 😊

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

🤣🤣 How can a Yorkshireman not like rhubarb!!? I use a little brown sugar to sweeten it and stem ginger in syrup, not the horrible powder. The secret is no water, or you end up with slush. Yuck

Avril

Nope not for me , I've tried it with all sorts and with my health I have to avoid sugar anyway.

Celery is another food I dislike ,it has the most weird taste to me .:classic_unsure:

45 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Cold here again this morning 1c with a feel of -3, but as in Kalos' corner of Yorkshire, bright sunshine in a cloudless blue sky. We're still managing to get some odd jobs done in the garden while the sun is there, but when it moves around and disappears, so do we, back into the warm house. I noticed the rhubarb is growing nicely now, so I'll pull some today while it's young and make a Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble for dessert tonight. It's one of Frank's favourite cold weather puds, with either cream or custard. Enjoy your day, whatever your up to and take care, we're almost there😊

Avril

I like Rhubarb too.

My late dad when I was a kid  years ago used to grow it and I used to eat lots of it.

I like Rhubarb yoghurts and pushed our Rhubarb and Custard sweets in my calls to make them best sellers.

Graham.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Yes jean and your doing remarkably well walking your 1/2 mile  , have you still been able to take your lovely dog for her walks ?

No, don't dare do that and it will be like that for some months.  My husband walks him.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

You are doing brilliantly walking 1/2 a mile already.  I hope that the pain is not too bad.

No, not too bad, get twinges in different places when I walk!  But it's only 5.5 weeks and lots of healing yet to do.  Seeing the surgeon on Thursday and should then be able to drive and go back to work.  Luckily left hip with automatic car

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Avril il be queuing up out side your house later for a bit of rhubarb and ginger crumble 😋😋 do you put ginger syrup or crystallised ginger in it ?

sandra

I use chopped stem ginger (Opies) and use just a little the syrup, instead of water with a little brown sugar to sweeten to personal taste. 

Avril

• Like 3

12 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Eek, I remember the underskirts.. I remember a big pink frilly thing, made of netting, which we rinsed in sugar.  Nearly cut your legs off those did!🤣

The after lockdown picture is like looking in the mirror.  No haircut since about November, and it's usually short and spiky! 

I always wore a short cotton waistslip under mine. Stopped snagging the nylons and flashing the undies whilst dancing🤣

Avril

• Haha 1

Well it was bright and sunny if a bit cold here so I put the towels out on the line to dry, love the fresh smell of air and herbs you get.

Half an hour later, it starts to snow! I’ve just left them out there as the sun is forecast again later. It was however amusing to see snow towels, old adverts for getting whites white - well they were really white today🥶

• Like 5

Another beautiful day here in Stoke on  Trent - just chilly (she says as an understatement). Our garden is South facing so it wasn't too bad yesterday, but have just been out again and there is a real nip in the air today. Thermals need me thinks 😉

Celebrations here today - we have the green light from the caravan site owners in Wales to go to our caravan from the 12th April - just can not wait to see the sea again 🙂

Hope everyone else is keeping well - have a lovely day everyone.

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Well I'm not even dressed yet, but have learnt something new today.  Having just moved in.. we have found rhubarb in the garden but didn't know when it would be ready.  I didn't know about no water, I would have simmered it and it would have turned to mush.  Mines about  a foot high.. could it be ready yet?  Also Avril when you say 'pull' do I literally do that, like with some  things, or do I cut it at the stem?

Rhubarb is at it's best while the stalks are bright red and young. It sounds like yours are ready. If you leave it until they become thick and green they are stringy and tough. If you look closely where the stalks come from the soil, you'll see that  they come out of a sort of bulb/lump in the ground. Working from the outside leaves, near to the bulb/lump, gentley pull out, and up and they'll just come off. Cut off the leaves and the some of the base and wash well and cut into about inch lengths. There's enough moisture on the rhubarb from washing to cook it. You can simmer it on a very low heat with some sugar, but a little honey is best. If you want to make it into a crumble don't cook it first, simply pile it into a dish with sugar to sweeten, top with a crumble mixture and cook as you would a normal crumble. Lovely.

Avril

• Like 7

I really fancy a rhubarb crumble now, hot crumble with ice cream!

We have just booked theatre tickets for The Globe Theatre in July. Tickets were only available in various bubble sizes with plenty of gaps in between, drinks have to be pre-ordered and there’s no cushions available for hire but just the thought of being able to go to a theatre is very exciting 😊

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I really fancy a rhubarb crumble now, hot crumble with ice cream!

We have just booked theatre tickets for The Globe Theatre in July. Tickets were only available in various bubble sizes with plenty of gaps in between, drinks have to be pre-ordered and there’s no cushions available for hire but just the thought of being able to go to a theatre is very exciting 😊

Consider small inflatable cushions....... 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Rhubarb is my second favourite after goosegob crumble, nice and tart complimented by the sweetness of custard, cream, icecream or Carnation. You do realise you have started something Avril.

My wooden spoon is forever growing Phil, but it's ''All done in the best porrssible taste''😉

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Nope not for me , I've tried it with all sorts and with my health I have to avoid sugar anyway.

Celery is another food I dislike ,it has the most weird taste to me .:classic_unsure:

I don't mind celery, nice in a casserole. Now radishes, avocado and artichokes are a definite no for me.

Avril

• Like 1

Cold, sunny, with light cloud, no plans today, looking forward to the release of itineraries and prices for winter 22/23. Depending on prices, we fancy the Southampton to Antigua, 22 nighter on Arvia Jan 23. Got to have something to look forward to.

Stay safe out there !

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't mind celery, nice in a casserole. Now radishes, avocado and artichokes are a definite no for me.

Avril

I haven't had radishes for ages and are ok with them ,the other two I'm not fussed on .

Rhubarb I can just about put up with when mixed in with an apple pie .

Reading on here Avril it's interesting to see what you put on it ,some of you custard and 

some of you use ice cream . When I asked the men at the allotment what they like to

put on their rhubarb they all told me horse manure . Maybe that makes it taste better ? :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Consider small inflatable cushions....... 

Yes, I think that’s what we’ll do. I’m not sure I’d manage to sit through a whole play on the wooden benches without a cushion. 

They are giving specific arrival times, taking people’s temperatures on arrival, masks have to be worn and tickets are e-tickets so they seem to be taking lots of precautions.

• Like 1