Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Yes, I think that’s what we’ll do. I’m not sure I’d manage to sit through a whole play on the wooden benches without a cushion. 

They are giving specific arrival times, taking people’s temperatures on arrival, masks have to be worn and tickets are e-tickets so they seem to be taking lots of precautions.

Plus a plastic pocket Poncho each... you never know

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Rhubarb is at it's best while the stalks are bright red and young. It sounds like yours are ready. If you leave it until they become thick and green they are stringy and tough. If you look closely where the stalks come from the soil, you'll see that  they come out of a sort of bulb/lump in the ground. Working from the outside leaves, near to the bulb/lump, gentley pull out, and up and they'll just come off. Cut off the leaves and the some of the base and wash well and cut into about inch lengths. There's enough moisture on the rhubarb from washing to cook it. You can simmer it on a very low heat with some sugar, but a little honey is best. If you want to make it into a crumble don't cook it first, simply pile it into a dish with sugar to sweeten, top with a crumble mixture and cook as you would a normal crumble. Lovely.

Avril

Hi sis,b4 this thread started we bought a rhubarb crumble and a tub of vanilla custard in M&S yesterday,lol,great minds think alike,we just cheated,bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't mind celery, nice in a casserole. Now radishes, avocado and artichokes are a definite no for me.

Avril

They grow and sell artichokes in Calabria.When in season there are lorryloads everywhere and when sold they are trimmed with mountains of leaves discarded everywhere.We only order them on a pizza or in a jar,too much prep,bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Rhubarb is at it's best while the stalks are bright red and young. It sounds like yours are ready. If you leave it until they become thick and green they are stringy and tough. If you look closely where the stalks come from the soil, you'll see that  they come out of a sort of bulb/lump in the ground. Working from the outside leaves, near to the bulb/lump, gentley pull out, and up and they'll just come off. Cut off the leaves and the some of the base and wash well and cut into about inch lengths. There's enough moisture on the rhubarb from washing to cook it. You can simmer it on a very low heat with some sugar, but a little honey is best. If you want to make it into a crumble don't cook it first, simply pile it into a dish with sugar to sweeten, top with a crumble mixture and cook as you would a normal crumble. Lovely.

Avril

Mine is no where near ready to pull any yet, just the first signs of life coming up. 
 

I love rhubarb crumble but I also like it in muffins instead of raisons, makes a more interesting flavour. I just slice it thin and add it raw to the muffin batter.

 

Such an underrated fruit / vegetable. I’ve heard it referred to as both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

They grow and sell artichokes in Calabria.When in season there are lorryloads everywhere and when sold they are trimmed with mountains of leaves discarded everywhere.We only order them on a pizza or in a jar,too much prep,bro.

I can't understand the point of artichokes at all. There's not much to eat on them and to me they have an odd taste.

Sis

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Mine is no where near ready to pull any yet, just the first signs of life coming up. 
 

I love rhubarb crumble but I also like it in muffins instead of raisons, makes a more interesting flavour. I just slice it thin and add it raw to the muffin batter.

 

Such an underrated fruit / vegetable. I’ve heard it referred to as both.

It's classed as a vegetable. We love the flavour and your muffin idea is one I will try.  I used to eat it raw as a child, dipped in lots of sugar.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like that's the best we are going to get today with the weather 6.C 

and light snow at least it's not settling :classic_unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I can't understand the point of artichokes at all. There's not much to eat on them and to me they have an odd taste.

Sis

I agree.  Totally pointless and an odd taste.  Don't like it at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got back from my walk and it is now snowing quite heavily, hopefully it won't stick.  I seems to have been a strange day weather wise, sunny, windy and now snow. At least my washing dried outside which I much prefer to the drier.

time for Countdown now 😊

Edited by Josy1953
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Rhubarb is at it's best while the stalks are bright red and young. It sounds like yours are ready. If you leave it until they become thick and green they are stringy and tough. If you look closely where the stalks come from the soil, you'll see that  they come out of a sort of bulb/lump in the ground. Working from the outside leaves, near to the bulb/lump, gentley pull out, and up and they'll just come off. Cut off the leaves and the some of the base and wash well and cut into about inch lengths. There's enough moisture on the rhubarb from washing to cook it. You can simmer it on a very low heat with some sugar, but a little honey is best. If you want to make it into a crumble don't cook it first, simply pile it into a dish with sugar to sweeten, top with a crumble mixture and cook as you would a normal crumble. Lovely.

Avril

 That's decided then. We will all come to yours for the CC reunion (and Rhubarb Crumble)!! Might even be able to persuade Andy and Michelle!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I can't understand the point of artichokes at all. There's not much to eat on them and to me they have an odd taste.

Sis

I love them with capricciosa and Quattro stagioni pizzas with ham,moz,tom,anchovy,onion,mushrooms and olives.I have a similar opinion with parsnips but not too bad honey roasted,bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It's classed as a vegetable. We love the flavour and your muffin idea is one I will try.  I used to eat it raw as a child, dipped in lots of sugar.

Avril

Thinking of sugar on things, my BIL introduced me to dipping celery stalks in sugar, that was back in the days when celery stalks were placed on the table in a glass beaker to have with your salad.  We rarely have celery now, our eldest son hated it and would not eat it at all, and since we had normally used it up in stews, we sort of stopped buying it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ann141 said:

 That's decided then. We will all come to yours for the CC reunion (and Rhubarb Crumble)!! Might even be able to persuade Andy and Michelle!

I had wondered if West Hams current top 4 PL status might have encouraged Andy to re-join us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It's classed as a vegetable. We love the flavour and your muffin idea is one I will try.  I used to eat it raw as a child, dipped in lots of sugar.

Avril

That brings back memories. My dad and grandad used to have an allotment when I was a kid. My dad would cut me some rhubarb, peel it and give me a bag of sugar to dip. He then put me in the wheelbarrow and pushed me all the way to the farm to collect his manure. The only thing was when we got there the manure took my place and I had to walk all the way back! Happy Days 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kalos said:

Looks like that's the best we are going to get today with the weather 6.C 

and light snow at least it's not settling :classic_unsure:

Snowing heavily here now, it's settling too and very dark skies. Timed it well, B&Q have just delivered our swing seat. Frank's just managed to throw a tarpaulin over it for now. Not that we'll be using it any time soon. He has to assemble yet😊

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I had wondered if West Hams current top 4 PL status might have encouraged Andy to re-join us.

Anything John, just as long as he returns. 

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Snowing heavily here now, it's settling too and very dark skies. Timed it well, B&Q have just delivered our swing seat. Frank's just managed to throw a tarpaulin over it for now. Not that we'll be using it any time soon. He has to assemble yet😊

Avril

Can’t believe it’s snowing!! We have beautiful blue skies here, it is still cold and breezy though. I am sat in conservatory/orangery and it’s really warm in fact it’s so warm I fell asleep. Woken up now and coffee break calls
Michelle

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Snowing heavily here now, it's settling too and very dark skies. Timed it well, B&Q have just delivered our swing seat. Frank's just managed to throw a tarpaulin over it for now. Not that we'll be using it any time soon. He has to assemble yet😊

Avril

Similar weather here but more hail than snow, the Garden is covered at the moment.

I have spent the last few days repairing our 15 year old garden swing replacing some rotten wood, should be good for a few more years now. 

Edited by Bloodaxe
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Snowing heavily here now, it's settling too and very dark skies. Timed it well, B&Q have just delivered our swing seat. Frank's just managed to throw a tarpaulin over it for now. Not that we'll be using it any time soon. He has to assemble yet😊

Avril

We bought a swing seat from B&Q at the weekend too 😊  It took my husband and daughter a couple of hours to put it together.

 

I hope this cold weather improves soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Snowing heavily here now, it's settling too and very dark skies. Timed it well, B&Q have just delivered our swing seat. Frank's just managed to throw a tarpaulin over it for now. Not that we'll be using it any time soon. He has to assemble yet😊

Avril

It is sunny again now after snow flurries on and off all day.

As a child I used to also dip my Rhubarb from the garden in sugar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I had wondered if West Hams current top 4 PL status might have encouraged Andy to re-join us.

Hope you're right TJ otherwise I'm the only Hammer at the mo,getting lonely,cheers,Brian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

 B&Q have just delivered our swing seat. Frank's just managed to throw a tarpaulin over it for now. Not that we'll be using it any time soon. He has to assemble yet😊

Avril

So a bit of swinging on the menu for this summer Avril.

See the source image

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

We bought a swing seat from B&Q at the weekend too 😊  It took my husband and daughter a couple of hours to put it together.

 

I hope this cold weather improves soon!

Is it the grey stripe one? That's the only one I found when searching online. Frank will be putting it together on his own though, if I try to help I always do it wrong. It's not worth risking the outbreak of WW3, so I keep him supplied with coffee😁

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

So a bit of swinging on the menu for this summer Avril.

See the source image

 Youth is wasted on the young.  Use or lose it Phil😉

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...