P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

8 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Good day everyone been raining all night and just spitting now , next door decided to start drilling up ther driveway at 8 o’clock this morning thought I’d get away with piece and quite this weekend with our other neighbours drilling up ther long driveway talking 12 meters here , grundys been delivered people moving in and out of houses 🤯.

Just received in post a P&O small booklet that must of cost a packet to produce show casing Iona and Arvia with some small pictures inside of Iona , anybody else received one yet ?

We had the brochure on Wednesday, it is currently on its way to recycling centre after our bin collection this morning. We have zero interest in ships the size of Iona and Our Vera.

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

I believe you can fly to the Falklands but only via Chile,  that was true a few years ago anyway.

Many cruises do miss the Falklands due to being unable to tender, the weather is unpredictable.

We went ashore in warm clothing but in the afternoon it turned out very warm.

Just before our visit the QE2 had to cancel its stop on its final world tour, the locals had panned special events and were very disappointed.

And Chile is on the Red List!

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We had the brochure on Wednesday, it is currently on its way to recycling centre after our bin collection this morning. We have zero interest in ships the size of Iona and Our Vera.

Same here, I didn't even look at it. The only reason I opened it was because we can't put envelopes in our recycling bin.

Avril

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning I hope Anne had a pleasant journey yesterday and enjoys her holiday .
We used to love going away when travelling a fair distance we would stop half 
way . I think the half way part was bred into us and over time became compulsory
just like the sea side club trips we would do in our childhood. The coach driver
would welcome you onboard sounding like some sort of airline pilot but who stunk 
of woodbine fags .. "Ladies and gents we will be stopping for 20 minutes when we are

half way to Skeggy " he would say . It was the done thing back then . Fast forward to today

and we still do it . Mrs Kalos will say " Are we stopping on the way ?" Which means Kalos 
you're stopping along the way . Gone are the cafes of yesteryear ,service stations now, and

they cost a small fortune don't they? I remember my Nan used to come and visit us and she

said  " Coffee £3  a sandwich £5 ,ridiculous !" I told her "Nan, it's  my house so my prices !"
Anyway back to us on our epic journey we would some times make our own sandwiches'

and take a flask with us , very nice and cheap at half the price .. No problem ! Well when I

say no problem ,years ago when the kids were young  I was put in charge of making the

sarnies .Boiled egg sarnies ! What a disaster that was .The kids were crying , nobody would

eat them .Mrs Kalos was complaining  that they were horrible and smelling the car out and

to get rid of them , which I did . Just before we pulled away though she made me let the kids

back in the car but the sarnies stayed in the bin .:classic_sad:  I was then made to pull up at the next

services and buy them all a happy meal which did not make me or my wallet very happy .  

I once bought myself a big breakfast meal and ended up taking it back as there was a crack

in my plate. The young lady behind the counter who looked like she had just spent a fortnight

on heroin gave me a blank look and said "That's not a crack ,that's your bacon !"  :classic_ohmy:

Honestly I carry a set of feeler gauge's in my tool box that were thicker than that bacon .

£8,50 that cost me ! Thinking back though I wish I had bought a DNA kit to check if it really

was bacon .:classic_unsure: If she should ever put me in charge of sarnies again then it will be good old 

cheese & onion, you can't go wrong with that can you  :classic_smile::classic_unsure:
Anyway you all stay safe and if your going away or stopping half the  way ,stay safe .:classic_love:

This brought back some memories. My folks had a caravan at the coast since 1951. Every Saturday morning, off we went. Early start. 4 gallons of petrol for a pound. Stop half way, it's 60 miles. Can't do that without a stop. Those were the days🤮

38 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Same here, I didn't even look at it. The only reason I opened it was because we can't put envelopes in our recycling bin.

Avril

It was a good read. You missed the special offer coupon for the smaller ships.🤣

11 hours ago, Ardennais said:

A local girl spent the winter in the Falklands as part of a shearing team and I think they flew out there from a RAF base in southern England!

The firm that my husband worked for had a contract for a job in the Falklands. One of his colleagues had to go over there, and the flight was from an RAF base.

there were various delays, and Penguin News ran with the headline ‘Engineer Late’. It must have been a slow news week! 

Hi all been lurking for a few days.

Sorry to read about all the falls that people have had but good to hear that you're all recovering.

Tipping it down with rain here as well as being misty, windy and chilly. Not nice.

Had my second jab this morning at the GP's surgery. Well organised although did have to queue in the rain, left home and was back again in 25 minutes. 

Well, a very wet, miserable and murky Good Afternoon from soggy Barnsley.

Jane, I'm pleased you're improving well enough that you're considering returning to work next week, and that your companion is coming home from holiday today. No need for  him to quarantine I hope.😁

I was a little confused and disappointed with the 'Green List' for travel yesterday, talk about padding! Honestly, who's holiday plans included Tristan da Cunha, Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands? There are only half of the countries on that list that anyone would consider a holiday destination, or maybe it's me, and I'm just not adventurous enough😏. Having said that, it would make a very interesting cruise itinerary.🤔

Make the most of this wet Saturday whatever you're up to and take care. You too, Andy and Michelle😉

Avril

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

It was a good read. You missed the special offer coupon for the smaller ships.🤣

Highly unlikely Zap😜😄

Avril

We decided we would have a run to Junction 32 outlet even though it was pouring down, just didn't fancy sitting in all day, it was 4oC when we set out, we thought at least it will be quiet and we will have to stand under the awning with our coffee, it was heaving so we went to Costa first, we got a table under the awning. I got a nice cruise shirt from Moss Bross and a new pair of Crocs and Mrs YP got some shoes.

So I am starting a new debate, Crocs; Yeah or Nay. I love my crocs, and always have at least 3 pairs on the go, a pair for knocking about the garden, a pair for summer walking and the newest pair for cruise/holidays. I can walk all day in crocs and my feet never feel tired, they are very light and great for packing, if on holiday you can walk in the sea and they are easy to clean, however they will never win a fashion contest. 

We have just spent a hilarious nostalgic hour watching Saturday Morning Pictures on the Talking Pictures Channel.   It took us both back and between each section up on screen came messages ie "Please don't let your pals in free through the side door" and "Please stop throwing straws at the screen".  Oh dear, we remembered those.

We just could not believe how clever those animals were in Champion the Wonder Horse.  We asked our cat to make us a coffee and start the ironing but she wouldn't co-operate!😄

Then it was on to Radar Men From the Moon which was so bad it was brilliant and a must keep watching thing.. the spacemen from earth looked like  that iconic Ned Kelly  photo with buckets on their heads, and as for the radar gun, well that was huge and weighed a ton!  Can't wait for next weeks riveting episode.

Honestly we thoroughly enjoyed it.  Its on every week for a while.

I know that this is the P&O side of CC but have to say have been looking at the new Celebrity Beyond. Her sister EDGE was amazing and this one looks like she is going to be a stunner.

Perhaps in 20 years time when they sell her, P&O or TUI may buy her and we will be able to afford to sail on her !!!!!

39 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

We have just spent a hilarious nostalgic hour watching Saturday Morning Pictures on the Talking Pictures Channel.   It took us both back and between each section up on screen came messages ie "Please don't let your pals in free through the side door" and "Please stop throwing straws at the screen".  Oh dear, we remembered those.

We just could not believe how clever those animals were in Champion the Wonder Horse.  We asked our cat to make us a coffee and start the ironing but she wouldn't co-operate!😄

Then it was on to Radar Men From the Moon which was so bad it was brilliant and a must keep watching thing.. the spacemen from earth looked like  that iconic Ned Kelly  photo with buckets on their heads, and as for the radar gun, well that was huge and weighed a ton!  Can't wait for next weeks riveting episode.

Honestly we thoroughly enjoyed it.  Its on every week for a while.

Sounds brilliant. To save me trawling through all the channels, can you tell me if it's on Sky?

Avril

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We decided we would have a run to Junction 32 outlet even though it was pouring down, just didn't fancy sitting in all day, it was 4oC when we set out, we thought at least it will be quiet and we will have to stand under the awning with our coffee, it was heaving so we went to Costa first, we got a table under the awning. I got a nice cruise shirt from Moss Bross and a new pair of Crocs and Mrs YP got some shoes.

So I am starting a new debate, Crocs; Yeah or Nay. I love my crocs, and always have at least 3 pairs on the go, a pair for knocking about the garden, a pair for summer walking and the newest pair for cruise/holidays. I can walk all day in crocs and my feet never feel tired, they are very light and great for packing, if on holiday you can walk in the sea and they are easy to clean, however they will never win a fashion contest. 

NAY. Crimes again humanity! But if they’re comfy, then it’s ok to wear them at home. 

40 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Sounds brilliant. To save me trawling through all the channels, can you tell me if it's on Sky?

Avril

Avril  we've only just got Sky so not sure.  All I do is speak into the  remote and say "Talking Pictures".,. it was Channel 81 before we got Sky.

Its a brilliant channel, Gideons Way, Scotland Yard, Edgar Wallace Mysteries and more and loads of old black and white films.   Loads of 60/70s stuff   like Taste of Honey .. Up the Junction etc.

We love it.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I jolly well hope you only wear black ones on formal night. This is P&O don't you know.🤣

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I jolly well hope you only wear black ones on formal night. This is P&O don't you know.🤣

It won't be long before all the traditional Dress code,sunbed keeping, tipping threads etc will appear 😎☹️🙄

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Avril  we've only just got Sky so not sure.  All I do is speak into the  remote and say "Talking Pictures".,. it was Channel 81 before we got Sky.

Its a brilliant channel, Gideons Way, Scotland Yard, Edgar Wallace Mysteries and more and loads of old black and white films.   Loads of 60/70s stuff   like Taste of Honey .. Up the Junction etc.

We love it.

Thanks, I've found it. Channel 328. It looks brilliant, much more fun than some of the usual 'reality' stuff they keep endlessly churning out. I've only had a quick look through, but already put 'Scotland Yard'  on series link to record. 

Nostalgia😊 

Ooh just found the Detectives too'

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text

On a cold wintry day or wet day its great to curl up and watch 'Talking Pictures'... little black Police Cars with bells racing into Scotland Yard etc... where Commander Gideon often handles cases such as smash and grab.. can you imagine a Police Commander doing that now!!!.  Its a great nostalgic and quite a happy channel.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

It won't be long before all the traditional Dress code,sunbed keeping, tipping threads etc will appear 😎☹️🙄

They have graham on the princess forum, I got caught up on that .😂😂

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

we are looking for a new pair of crocs each but we only use them for going out into the garden and they stay by the back door , but you should always do what you’re comfortable in , but I did hear a story a while ago that they were stopping making them because they were bad for your feet , not supportive I think 🤔 

3 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

we are looking for a new pair of crocs each but we only use them for going out into the garden and they stay by the back door , but you should always do what you’re comfortable in , but I did hear a story a while ago that they were stopping making them because they were bad for your feet , not supportive I think 🤔 

I got mine from Sports direct this morning, 30% off the price. You probably find most shoes are actually bad for your feet, how many people suffer in old age for the shoes they wore when they were younger. I have never found any shoes more comfy than crocs, I spent silly money on running shoes/trainers in years gone by that were not as comfy. Them days I was built for speed not comfort.