Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

Is it just me or is anyone else seriously concerned about the extent of opening up taking place in England tomorrow when the much more infectious Indian variant is spreading so fast?

 

The predictions of another wave worse than the last one before the end of summer don't look good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Sadly some people seem to enjoy being offended.

Very glad to see you back & hoping Kalos and others make appearances soon x

I’ll second that. I didn’t see anything remotely offensive, and yes, it’s great to see Andy return. 
 

Edit - and Kalos! Yipee

Edited by Ardennais
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Is it just me or is anyone else seriously concerned about the extent of opening up taking place in England tomorrow when the much more infectious Indian variant is spreading so fast?

 

The predictions of another wave worse than the last one before the end of summer don't look good.

I’m sure you’re not the only one. It’s worrying. On the BBC website they’ve been asking some of the scientists how they’re going to behave in the next few weeks and they all said that they’re still going to be super vigilant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh I did... 

Reported twice and warned for 'sexist posts' for sharing a joke about women's parking... It was never meant to offend. 

Kalos may just be stepping away, it's not nice when you are targeted, for want of a better word, when you are just trying to cheer people up. 

Lets hope he returns soon. 

Andy 

Problem is Andy 99% of us have to watch what we say and do to appease the 1% that are easily offended. 

 

you find it offensive I find it funny.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Is it just me or is anyone else seriously concerned about the extent of opening up taking place in England tomorrow when the much more infectious Indian variant is spreading so fast?

 

The predictions of another wave worse than the last one before the end of summer don't look good.

Not just you.

 

I’ve posted on the ‘Covid test before returning to U.K. ‘ thread on this subject. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kalos said:

 Hi Andy great to hear you and Michelle are Happy more than can be said for your dog this morning .I echo your sentiments Andy but must stress at no time was I put on a "Naughty step " and was free to post at anytime . My post had a blonde in a mask so maybe but who cares ,lets leave it at that .I chose to walk away and not post and the very next day I took Mrs K for her second jab which floored her, so she spent the next 24hours in bed . She has no regrets though as she feels safer now vaccinated . The very next day I was just about to do some work on my PC when I got a sharp pick axe pain in the right hand side of my head which felt sore to even touch my head and it spread to my ear and painkillers did nothing for it . A  week on and it is beginning to ease thankfully.

So as everyone can see I was not posting for various reasons . The good news is that Mrs K and myself are now booked on the Azura  and doing a back to back cruise  but not until next year .That gives us something to look forward to . Will finish by saying thank you to the other posters who have shown concern for us Andy , they are a good bunch and  I wish them well .

Take care and be safe everyone :classic_smile:

So pleased to see you back posting and that you now have a cruise to look forward to.Sorry to hear you haven't been well.Take care .We just need Harry and Selbourne to post and with Iona arriving today it will have really cheered people up

Link to post
Share on other sites

I turn my back for just a few hours, well since last night, and what happens... there are four or five pages just on this thread.   I started reading through and there was Andymichelle and then Kalos... so all is well with our little cruise critic world now!!!

 

I was wondering whether in 20 years time there will still be  such a thing as a sense of humour.  So many subjects are becoming off limits.

 

Many times in my 'eventful' life I am sure I have been much better able to cope because of my sense of humour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Morning all,. 

Just checking in to make sure you are all OK. 

Rain has stopped, so putting on my big coat and strolling down to Warsash beach to do some Iona spotting. 

Have a great day everyone. 

Andy 

It's great to see you back Andy.  I hope that you, Michelle and your daughter's are all well.  

I can't imagine how you upset anyone, your posts are usually friendly and looked forward to.

Edited by Josy1953
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Is it just me or is anyone else seriously concerned about the extent of opening up taking place in England tomorrow when the much more infectious Indian variant is spreading so fast?

 

The predictions of another wave worse than the last one before the end of summer don't look good.

It is concerning, on the one hand we all want our freedom back but not at any cost, at the moment we don't fully know how the India variant will pan out. I am hopeful that the vaccine will do what it is designed to do and people will not be very ill, hospitalised or sadly die. It also depends on who you want to believe, even the experts can't agree, with some saying everything will be OK and others wanting lockdown extended. I would expect that based on last years example that things will be fairly safe during the summer but then an upward trend come October, it is hard to imagine another wave worse than last year as most people will have been vaccinated, some 3 times by October. It also depends on how effective the new improved vaccine works against the new variants. The one thing we can do is take our own personal steps to keep as safe as we can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I turn my back for just a few hours, well since last night, and what happens... there are four or five pages just on this thread.   I started reading through and there was Andymichelle and then Kalos... so all is well with our little cruise critic world now!!!

 

I was wondering whether in 20 years time there will still be  such a thing as a sense of humour.  So many subjects are becoming off limits.

 

Many times in my 'eventful' life I am sure I have been much better able to cope because of my sense of humour.

The very fact that we have missed Andy and Kalos speaks volumes, they clearly both have a sense of humour and are like myself are from an age when people saw humour for what it was. I know there are limits, as with everything, in the past people would see something they didn't find funny and put it down to bad taste, or of course turn the TV channel over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kalos said:

 Hi Andy great to hear you and Michelle are Happy more than can be said for your dog this morning .I echo your sentiments Andy but must stress at no time was I put on a "Naughty step " and was free to post at anytime . My post had a blonde in a mask so maybe but who cares ,lets leave it at that .I chose to walk away and not post and the very next day I took Mrs K for her second jab which floored her, so she spent the next 24hours in bed . She has no regrets though as she feels safer now vaccinated . The very next day I was just about to do some work on my PC when I got a sharp pick axe pain in the right hand side of my head which felt sore to even touch my head and it spread to my ear and painkillers did nothing for it . A  week on and it is beginning to ease thankfully.

So as everyone can see I was not posting for various reasons . The good news is that Mrs K and myself are now booked on the Azura  and doing a back to back cruise  but not until next year .That gives us something to look forward to . Will finish by saying thank you to the other posters who have shown concern for us Andy , they are a good bunch and  I wish them well .

Take care and be safe everyone :classic_smile:

Welcome back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can totally understand why Andy and Kalos took a break from here. The vast majority are lovely people, who I am sure I would enjoy their company with a drink and chat. One or two are not so nice, but that's life, especially in today's Snowflake age, the wrong turn of phrase causes offence. When I think of the comments I heard and made during my time in the RN and police, I would be locked up !

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Is it just me or is anyone else seriously concerned about the extent of opening up taking place in England tomorrow when the much more infectious Indian variant is spreading so fast?

 

The predictions of another wave worse than the last one before the end of summer don't look good.

It's not just you, we have decided that we will pretend that nothing has changed tomorrow and will continue as we have been doing.  I think it is crazy to open up more when there is a variant that is potentially more infectious than we have previously seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely to see you back Kalos and sorry to hear Mrs K was not well after her 2 nd jab and then with yourself hope all is well , fantastic news about your cruise you have booked it will give you something to look forward to now , now that you’re back on the road to recovery.  😎🌞

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh I did... 

Reported twice and warned for 'sexist posts' for sharing a joke about women's parking... It was never meant to offend. 

Kalos may just be stepping away, it's not nice when you are targeted, for want of a better word, when you are just trying to cheer people up. 

Lets hope he returns soon. 

Andy 

Well Andy, for the first time ever, and Frank would agree 😉, I'm lost for words.

Which, considering what's on my mind right now, is probably a good thing.🤐

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Welcome back AndyMichelle you have been missed and glad to hear you are all well. I know how you feel having been made to visit the naughty step myself unfortunately amongst us there are some who are quick to report for the stupidist of reasons and it must make them feel powerful. As they say keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

If I were to bet I’d say it is not those among us. 
 

Personally if I don’t like a post I scroll past it, if someone annoys me I tend to tell them frankly how I feel, if they persist I ignore them thereafter - I think most folks do the same surely?
 

I have used this site for many years and never felt the need to report anyone (except myself once when it was pointed out that something I said was wrong so I asked for it to be removed). 
 

If humour, comments or personalities annoy then move on by I say. The moderators do a fine job in screening out anything which is truly offensive, inappropriate or hurtful.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be good evidence that vaccinations are generally effective against the latest variant.

I suppose, in time, Covid might be like flu, in that there is a vaccine to mitigate it but, sadly, every year the weakest and frailest may succumb (nobody lives forever) and, tragically, every year a handful of young, fit people catch it and, for whatever crazy random reason, die.

 

When that happens (please let it be soon) we can relax a bit and send our best wishes to health workers dealing with seasonal surges but who won’t be in danger because they are vaccinated.  Life can become *new normal*.

 

I don’t feel that confident yet.  I hadn’t made any plans to go inside a restaurant or return to my much loved cinema - recent stats on the new variant just strengthen that reluctance

 

One day, one day ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh I did... 

Reported twice and warned for 'sexist posts' for sharing a joke about women's parking... It was never meant to offend. 

Kalos may just be stepping away, it's not nice when you are targeted, for want of a better word, when you are just trying to cheer people up. 

Lets hope he returns soon. 

Andy 

Welcome back mate,West Ham are not doing as well since you've been gone.Perhaps whoever reported you can't reverse it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kalos said:

 Hi Andy great to hear you and Michelle are Happy more than can be said for your dog this morning .I echo your sentiments Andy but must stress at no time was I put on a "Naughty step " and was free to post at anytime . My post had a blonde in a mask so maybe but who cares ,lets leave it at that .I chose to walk away and not post and the very next day I took Mrs K for her second jab which floored her, so she spent the next 24hours in bed . She has no regrets though as she feels safer now vaccinated . The very next day I was just about to do some work on my PC when I got a sharp pick axe pain in the right hand side of my head which felt sore to even touch my head and it spread to my ear and painkillers did nothing for it . A  week on and it is beginning to ease thankfully.

So as everyone can see I was not posting for various reasons . The good news is that Mrs K and myself are now booked on the Azura  and doing a back to back cruise  but not until next year .That gives us something to look forward to . Will finish by saying thank you to the other posters who have shown concern for us Andy , they are a good bunch and  I wish them well .

Take care and be safe everyone :classic_smile:


Oh no Kalos, sorry to hear your problems, that head pain must have been worrying.

 

So pleased you’ve book a cruise , something to look forward to! Watching Iona come in this morning has got me really excited for cruising again.

 

Glad you and Mrs K are feeling better now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

There seems to be good evidence that vaccinations are generally effective against the latest variant.

I suppose, in time, Covid might be like flu, in that there is a vaccine to mitigate it but, sadly, every year the weakest and frailest may succumb (nobody lives forever) and, tragically, every year a handful of young, fit people catch it and, for whatever crazy random reason, die.

 

When that happens (please let it be soon) we can relax a bit and send our best wishes to health workers dealing with seasonal surges but who won’t be in danger because they are vaccinated.  Life can become *new normal*.

 

I don’t feel that confident yet.  I hadn’t made any plans to go inside a restaurant or return to my much loved cinema - recent stats on the new variant just strengthen that reluctance

 

One day, one day ...

 

Folk will modify their behaviour as events develop. That's what adults do. We are off to Cornwall next weekend and have some restaurants booked. At the moment I doubt we will cancel because people in Bradford declined to have the jab and have subsequently caught Covid. We will take whatever actions and precautions we feel are appropriate. Our remaining holidays this year may, or may not be modified. If you drill down into the current hot spots all is not as bleak as it seems on first sight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

3 years ago today we were taking the road train to the viewing point in Alesund from Britannia... Lovely memories.. 

Andy 

We should be on Britannia at this moment in time starting second week of 14nt Med cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We should be on Britannia at this moment in time starting second week of 14nt Med cruise.

We would be flying home from Lanzarote on Tuesday. Only 3 weeks and we are off to Canada / Alaska...............Not.  perhaps next year.🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is concerning, on the one hand we all want our freedom back but not at any cost, at the moment we don't fully know how the India variant will pan out. I am hopeful that the vaccine will do what it is designed to do and people will not be very ill, hospitalised or sadly die. It also depends on who you want to believe, even the experts can't agree, with some saying everything will be OK and others wanting lockdown extended. I would expect that based on last years example that things will be fairly safe during the summer but then an upward trend come October, it is hard to imagine another wave worse than last year as most people will have been vaccinated, some 3 times by October. It also depends on how effective the new improved vaccine works against the new variants. The one thing we can do is take our own personal steps to keep as safe as we can.


I agree with this, I think most people are being careful still.

My hope is that they are targeting the areas of known infections hard with extra testing and extra vaccines, let’s hope this works, it seemed to for the SA variant.

 

I saw the BBC medical expect saying we should keep an eye on the number of hospital admissions rather than the number of cases. That was a good point I thought as many cases could be mild due to the vaccine.

 

I just want to have my mum and dad round without them freezing outdoors and to have my grandson indoors if the weather isn’t good. I’m still working from home so nothing changing much for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...