P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

My Mum always put a small tin of baked beans in her homemade shepherds/ cottage pie. Yum. 

Nothing wrong with baked beans anytime, I dont much like kidney beans so it's a can of baked beans that goes in our chilli con carne.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I add a couple of big "dollops" ( cordon bleu description) of Branston Pickle  to our cottage pie whilst cooking it in the slow cooker

The word dollop reminds me of some P&O cruises where the waiter, if we were having ice cream as an accompaniment to the desert,   used to say 'sir, one dollop or two'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It's the Magpies (the birds, not the football team😁) that wake me up every morning at 4.30am.

Avril

During lockdown 1.0 the crows lost a battle with magpies for control of the tree.  Since then the crows have managed to win the war and took the tree a couple of months ago.  The magpies still pop into the garden though.

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Nothing wrong with baked beans anytime, I dont much like kidney beans so it's a can of baked beans that goes in our chilli con carne.

What a good idea. I don’t like kidney beans either.

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am amazed how many people eat baked beans, to me they are the devil's invention.  I never buy them so OH only has them if we are eating out. 

I remember being taken on a school trip to a Heinz factory somewhere near to Wigan.  I clearly remember seeing some conveyor belts covered with white beans and there were workers sitting along the sides of them picking out imperfect beans.  To this day I am convinced that it was an attempt by the school to show us how tedious some jobs could be in the hope that we would take it on board and work toward getting good qualifications to ensure interesting future careers.

When I was at school I aspired to be a defective bean picker, but unfortunately didn't qualify. A has been you may say 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Looks like it’s time to stock up on those baked beans!  Weren’t we promised that this wouldn’t happen?

Food shortages now ‘inevitable’ due to labour crisis, industry warns | News | The Grocer

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supermarkets/food-shortages-now-inevitable-due-to-labour-crisis-industry-warns/657227.article

• Like 2

Ironic - I’ve made a start on eating down my Br/Co emergency rations!  So much so that we had Campbell’s tomato soup for lunch the other day (bought in case we were both laid up with Co but one of us might have been fit/hungry enough to warm up a can). It was quite nice.  What a memory - really can’t remember the last time I had it.

So, I’m starting to see the surface of shelves, rather than can stacked upon can.  Perhaps I’ll need to go into reverse and build up supplies again?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Ironic - I’ve made a start on eating down my Br/Co emergency rations!  So much so that we had Campbell’s tomato soup for lunch the other day (bought in case we were both laid up with Co but one of us might have been fit/hungry enough to warm up a can). It was quite nice.  What a memory - really can’t remember the last time I had it.

So, I’m starting to see the surface of shelves, rather than can stacked upon can.  Perhaps I’ll need to go into reverse and build up supplies again?

Same here.  Getting fed up with constantly having to restock to cope with this, time after time. Coronavirus has had a lot to do with it, but the whole EU thing is the root cause. 

Shortages of labour now to pick the crops, HGV drivers to transport it, quite apart from import issues. 

Utter madness, and a deal to knock 6p off a bottle of Australian wine and import low standard meat isn’t going to help!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I've also been making a start eating my supplies. I had every flavour or soup except tomato!

At the start of the year, my aim was to get to point where my supplies had been eaten, one way or another, and to have just a 'normal' store cupboard again.  However, I tend to think 'normal' is a distant memory ! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same here.  Getting fed up with constantly having to restock to cope with this, time after time. Coronavirus has had a lot to do with it, but the whole EU thing is the root cause. 

Shortages of labour now to pick the crops, HGV drivers to transport it, quite apart from import issues. 

Utter madness, and a deal to knock 6p off a bottle of Australian wine and import low standard meat isn’t going to help!

It's a perfect storm. 

We have to deal with Covid and the problems that it brings, but the other thing was optional and we chose to do it, at the same time as a global pandemic.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I add a couple of big "dollops" ( cordon bleu description) of Branston Pickle  to our cottage pie whilst cooking it in the slow cooker

Wowzz, Gordon Ramsey must have copied your idea when he devised his Shepherd’s Recipe. I hope you got the royalties. It’s my favourite version.

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I don't like garden or mushy peas and they kindly obliged to my request for beans instead.

It is 18°C and sunny again.

I wish everyone a nice day.

Blimey almost non stop rain today here Graham.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am amazed how many people eat baked beans, to me they are the devil's invention.  I never buy them so OH only has them if we are eating out. 

I remember being taken on a school trip to a Heinz factory somewhere near to Wigan.  I clearly remember seeing some conveyor belts covered with white beans and there were workers sitting along the sides of them picking out imperfect beans.  To this day I am convinced that it was an attempt by the school to show us how tedious some jobs could be in the hope that we would take it on board and work toward getting good qualifications to ensure interesting future careers.

You can’t beat baked beans on toast with plenty of pepper! Lovely!

We also put baked beans in a chilli if we don’t have any kidney beans.

We ordered a new cabinet for our hall a couple of months ago, we had to get a different one as they couldn’t get stock due to Brexit 😩

• Like 3

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Soaking here..

I think I am near SarahH.  Not stopped for 20 hours.  Gigantic puddle on our corner.

I don't mind rain or grey days so I'm happy.  OH has got his moaning face on though!🤓🤣

It’s finally stopped for a bit! 😊

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

It's the Magpies (the birds, not the football team😁) that wake me up every morning at 4.30am.

Avril

We have magpies that wake me up too. I loathe the horrible noise they make. Our  one year old grandson says ‘tweet tweet tree’ when he hears birds, but the other day he started making his monkey noise pointing to the trees, took me a while to realise he could hear the magpies.😂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

But were we not warned that the wind down of furlough would lead to a huge rise in unemployment. If that's the case then a little suggestion that unemployment benefit would cease after beneficiaries turned down 3 job offers, should more than adequately alleviate these shortages.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

What is it about football that the politicians seem to bend over backwards to accommodate them?

There will indeed be a backlash if this happens.

Our lot up here won’t let in ships with 1000 vaccinated passengers or parents attend sports days but will let 6000 gather to watch matches while drinking, chanting and generally messing about. It all defies any sort of logic.

Also to allow an exodus from Scotland to London for the football. It would be a different story if the the shoe was on the other foot.

Avril

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

What is it about football that the politicians seem to bend over backwards to accommodate them?

There will indeed be a backlash if this happens.

Our lot up here won’t let in ships with 1000 vaccinated passengers or parents attend sports days but will let 6000 gather to watch matches while drinking, chanting and generally messing about. It all defies any sort of logic.

Absolutely agree.

22,000 at Wembley football

15,000 at Edgebaston cricket 

They were all singing and dancing.

• Like 2

Not been able to catch up with all the posts since the last time I posted, so I hope everyone is well. It’s been a very busy 2 weeks. 

I went back to work after being on furlough for 4 months and it was a shock to the system. Systems being the operative word. So many changes my head is still spinning and I’ve been back working for 8 days (still enforced part time so only doing a 4 day week with the corresponding reduction in salary). So busy, but that’s good for business. More coming back next week too. 

In that short time it’s been also been a fast moving time in our cruising world. Yet another cancellation citing Covid and Foreign Office advice (Marella from Muscat) for April 2022. Deposit refunded in 4 working days though!

So we’ve booked Iona to the Norwegian fjords instead. 

Then this week we had the uncertainty of whether we would be sailing on MSC Virtuosa next week on 24th  due the postponement of the relaxation of restrictions from 21st June to  19th July. Apparently, despite assurances that MSC had not sold more than 1000 berths (government imposed limit), they had done so for sailings departing after 21st June (as have P&O, RCI and others). So there have been many cancellations. That is on top of the problem MSC had already experienced in that they are no longer allowed to dock and embark guests in Greenock. We have just had it confirmed that our booking has not been cancelled!

Although friends due to board in Greenock had their cruise cancelled for 23rd so we won’t be meeting up. Another couple of friends should be boarding when we reach Southampton on 26th, but they don’t know yet. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It's a perfect storm. 

We have to deal with Covid and the problems that it brings, but the other thing was optional and we chose to do it, at the same time as a global pandemic.  

Yes. All those folk who voted to leave should have known a pandemic was only 4 years down the road. Nincompoops🤣

• Like 1