P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

It looks like we will be unable to cruise for the foreseeable future, we had an email from Princess telling us that we need to show proof of our vaccination status on arrival at the port, it then went on to say that only vaccines approved for the current mass vaccination push would be accepted.  I rang them to check whether my letter of proof of receiving a vaccine during the trial would be acceptable and was told that it was not even though Jonathon Van Tam has stated that people who have received actual vaccines during the trials would not be discriminated against.  I have just checked with P&O and Cunard and they have confirmed that they have the same policy.

For those of you have taken part in any vaccine trials I would advise you to confirm whether you are still able to travel.

Lesson learned, don't take part in any future medical trials.

That is not fair. It should be given some publicity.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have emailed Paul Ludlow, Josh Weinstein who I believe is the Carnival Group CEO and my MP to complain about Carnival UK attitude to those of us who have taken part in the trials.

I know that this will do nothing to help me or any other people in the same situation but I feel better for escalating the matter.

Go for it girl. If enough people complain and there is enough bad publicity they will change it.

There have been several news features about this in the last week from various people in the same position as you (one attached below). It may be something you are not comfortable with but if you don’t get anywhere with the cruise lines then contact the BBC or the Guardian has an on line form to highlight a news story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-57720739

I can’t see how it is acceptable to have unvaccinated under 18s on ships but not double vaccinated trial participants.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Typo
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have emailed Paul Ludlow, Josh Weinstein who I believe is the Carnival Group CEO and my MP to complain about Carnival UK attitude to those of us who have taken part in the trials.

I know that this will do nothing to help me or any other people in the same situation but I feel better for escalating the matter.

You've raised the issue in writing which alerts Carnival to the fact that customers are dissatisfied with their policy.  If you didn't raise this issue, Carnival (or indeed any other company) would be blissfully ignorant of how they've failed their customers and not address the issue.

However, whether they choose to address this is another matter.  I would like to think that someone there will see some sense, review the current policy and amend it favourably towards yourself and others in a similar position.

Please let us know how you get on.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

It looks like we will be unable to cruise for the foreseeable future, we had an email from Princess telling us that we need to show proof of our vaccination status on arrival at the port, it then went on to say that only vaccines approved for the current mass vaccination push would be accepted.  I rang them to check whether my letter of proof of receiving a vaccine during the trial would be acceptable and was told that it was not even though Jonathon Van Tam has stated that people who have received actual vaccines during the trials would not be discriminated against.  I have just checked with P&O and Cunard and they have confirmed that they have the same policy.

For those of you have taken part in any vaccine trials I would advise you to confirm whether you are still able to travel.

That seems so unfair when you volunteered to take part in the trials to help others.It will also discourage others taking part in future trials

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We will all sign a petition to support you!!!!

• Like 5

Josy you may have seen this already but added just in case, it is from the official government guidance and there is a clear statement about people from the vaccine trials.

“Domestic cruises are permitted in England under step 3 of the roadmap out of lockdown.

Government guidance is that domestic cruise operators with a COVID-19 vaccination policy in place can operate at 50% capacity. Domestic cruise operators without a COVID-19 vaccination policy in place can operate with up to 1,000 passengers or 50% capacity, whichever is lower. This capacity limit applies to passengers only.”

To count as fully vaccinated, passengers will need to have received both doses of a UK approved vaccine, more than 14 days before joining the cruise. Vaccination requirements do not apply to people under the age of 18, to people with a medical exemption, or people involved in COVID-19 vaccination trials.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

that is awful, and surely unlawful

• Like 1

I’m so sorry to hear this Josy, seems so unfair. I hope the decision is reversed.

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m so sorry to read this Josy.  It is 100% the opposite of what should happen.  You should be welcomed on board with a pipe band and be allowed to wear a crown, if you wish!

Are you up for a bit of publicity?  I think the media should be involved in this; it is so unfair

As an aside, I’m dubious as to whether all the planned cruises will go ahead.  Cunard have just cancelled some because of an outbreak among crew, before any pax even boarded.  The planned changed for 19 July are liable to bring more and more cases and potentially remove the relative freedom we are enjoying now (all imo)

Was this the seacation cruises? Such a shame.

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi thanks Graham really disappointed again!

covid outbreak with crew members so hopefully no one is seriously ill

You must be so disappointed Lindy, hope to can enjoy something else.

As for the ‘pinging’ from Track and Trace a friend was telling me yesterday her husband was ‘pinged’ saying he had 4 days to go - not 10. He was at work when he got the notification and then got a phone call saying they knew he wasn’t at home and he’d get £1500 fine! They had quite a bit of back and forth before they finally got it sorted.So - they have deleted the app.

I had a patient cancel an appointment last week, she also had taken so long to be traced that her first notification said 4 days to go! She said she was glad she was retired and had hardly been out!

• Like 1

This is a scandal that needs to be sorted. Mrs Pete has written to our MP who expressed sympathy and blamed it on the NHS IT system needing to be sorted so trial vaccines are included. He predicted the end of July but I have given up believing the word of any politician. We have a cruise booked at the end of November but knowing how NHS IT systems operate, or don’t operate (who remembers the huge waste of money spent on NHS the systems a few years ago?), it is likely we will cancel. Just to make it worse, those vaccinated on the trials were vaccinated well before the general population and may need a booster jab well before the end of this year. Until that is sorted out, there is no certainty that won’t be the next restriction. 

The fault here does not lie with the vaccine developers but with the government and their appointed agencies who seem to have no regard for the rest of us.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

As for the ‘pinging’ from Track and Trace a friend was telling me yesterday her husband was ‘pinged’ saying he had 4 days to go - not 10. He was at work when he got the notification and then got a phone call saying they knew he wasn’t at home and he’d get £1500 fine! They had quite a bit of back and forth before they finally got it sorted.So - they have deleted the app.

I had a patient cancel an appointment last week, she also had taken so long to be traced that her first notification said 4 days to go! She said she was glad she was retired and had hardly been out!

Thanks Sue just when things were starting to look bright it all comes crashing down again wonder when it’s really going to end feeling anxious now about the restrictions being lifted☹️

8 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

My granddaughter was sent home from school a couple of weeks ago as there was a positive case in her class. A couple of days later she tested positive with a lateral flow test, which they reported through the app, so they all self isolated. It took nine days for my son to be contacted by track and trace and told he needed to self isolate. 

Just now, lindylooellalouise said:

Thanks Sue just when things were starting to look bright it all comes crashing down again wonder when it’s really going to end feeling anxious now about the restrictions being lifted☹️

Why was the cruise cancelled? August is some weeks away if there is a current outbreak onboard.

If that is the case there are going to be many more cruise cancelled with rising cases and likely to get worse.

Just now, Splice the mainbrace said:

Why was the cruise cancelled? August is some weeks away if there is a current outbreak onboard.

If that is the case there are going to be many more cruise cancelled with rising cases and likely to get worse.

Covid outbreak amongst crew all July and beginning of August cancelled 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I would have thought that after 2 weeks or so with testing and isolating those testing positive that it should be clear. If they are going to quarantine a ship for a month every time there are outbreaks on board we don't stand a chance!

Edit: My wife has read the Cunard statement and I believe that because of isolations etc.. it mean that preparation for cruise start up has been delayed and won't be ready in time.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
New info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I understand that a lot of people who are wearing the shield have to because of their health conditions and they are not the people who bother me because they have no other option, I see people wearing lanyards that show that they are exempt from wearing masks,  it is the people who are doing it from choice rather than for a medical reason.

It's only for 3 weeks and she is going back to the mask.Even though it's voluntary by then.My stepson is a driver for a plant hire firm and he says "everyone" is off with Covid in London at the moment but obviously not hospitalized.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Such a shame for you but better than the day after you got onboard!

I suppose they can’t just go for the 14 days cancellation in case there are a chain of infections.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I would have thought that after 2 weeks or so with testing and isolating those testing positive that it should be clear. If they are going to quarantine a ship for a month every time there are outbreaks on board we don't stand a chance!

Initially we thought that but maybe it could start a chain of infections but you are right it’s impossible to quarantine a whole ship for a month every time there is a positive test

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

That's shameful Josy. I'm so sorry to hear this. It must feel like a kick in the teeth after what you and all the other trialists have done for this country. I do hope that this is something that can be exposed and rectified widely. Jane.x

• Like 4

Am I missing something here, post #23334 seems to indicate that participants in a covid trial are exempt from needing to show they have been vaccinated, and will be treated the same as under 18s or those who are exempted from the vaccine. Therefore my understanding would be that they would be allowed to cruise  so why all the angst and bitching about Grant who presumably oversaw this edict.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Am I missing something here, post #23334 seems to indicate that participants in a covid trial are exempt from needing to show they have been vaccinated, and will be treated the same as under 18s or those who are exempted from the vaccine. Therefore my understanding would be that they would be allowed to cruise  so why all the angst and bitching about Grant who presumably oversaw this edict.

Because P&O are following their own rules, contrary to government advice. I agree, the argument is against P&O,  not  the government.