Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Host Sharon
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Its a horrible day here, pouring down and murky, more like November than July, however this has brightened up my day

May be an image of bird and outdoors

Beautiful colours 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think I would leave cycling off the list - too many men delivering envelopes of unspecified substances for my liking!

We all know that there have been a few cases like you suggest but the huge majority have nothing to do with such offences. Mind you it would take a awful lot of envelopes to get me to the end of any stage in the Tour de France. They all deserve a medal just for finishing the race but to see Mark Cavendish cycling more than 100 miles a day and then winning sprint finishes over the last couple of weeks has been awe inspiring. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We decided this morning that we need something to look forward to so have booked a cruise to the Canaries next year on Sky Princess.  We are hoping that by then we may be able to leave the ship without going on one of their tours.  We don't normally do guided tours because we have done everything that we would want to do on previous cruises but if they are the only way to get off the ship we will do some of the tours that we have done previously.   ✌✌

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We decided this morning that we need something to look forward to so have booked a cruise to the Canaries next year on Sky Princess.  We are hoping that by then we may be able to leave the ship without going on one of their tours.  We don't normally do guided tours because we have done everything that we would want to do on previous cruises but if they are the only way to get off the ship we will do some of the tours that we have done previously.   ✌✌

We are on Sky Princess next year as well with grandchildren, can’t wait!!

I agree about needing something to look forward to

Michelle

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We decided this morning that we need something to look forward to so have booked a cruise to the Canaries next year on Sky Princess.  We are hoping that by then we may be able to leave the ship without going on one of their tours.  We don't normally do guided tours because we have done everything that we would want to do on previous cruises but if they are the only way to get off the ship we will do some of the tours that we have done previously.   ✌✌

We are debating a 3 week Princess cruise out of Athens next May. Expensive booking this late, but you only live once!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

We are debating a 3 week Princess cruise out of Athens next May. Expensive booking this late, but you only live once!

My philosophy too Wowzz.

Go for it if it's what you want.

Graham.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Harry, I sympathise with your predicament. 

Surely, if you explain your position, at the very least you could wait outside the store until you are able to go straight through to the consulting room ?

Exactly what I was planning, Wowzz. That, plus the first appointment of the day, pre-selection of the frames online, and an aim to get out of there as quickly as possible!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DamianG said:

 

I've just swapped to Specsavers after 10 years of using Boots Opticians. I've not had any trouble with the latter previously but from January through to May I was backwards and forwards with a prescription that just wasn't working for me and glasses that were leaving marks on my face. Eventually they just said (rather abruptly) "It's the end of the line for you - we'll just give you your money back." That all makes me sound like an awful, difficult to please customer but I assure you that I am anything but and was extremely patient with them for months.

 

Anyway I tried Specsavers and as someone who is still cautious about going out I found them to be far more reassuring with regards to COVID safety measures, for example they even had screens separating the chairs in the waiting area (something which Boots did not have). 

 

As for my glasses, after my eye test the chap who took over to assist with selection and fitting took one look at my old pair and said straight away that they were too small and unsuitable for my face shape!

 

Hopefully what I experienced at Specsavers will be standard practice at all their sites and you will be fine.

 

All the best.

 

Damian

 

I've used both Specsavers and Asda opticians during the pandemic, and have been impressed with their procedures.

In fact, Asda were especially vigilant - almost to the extent of going over the top in certain regards, but always better to be safe rather than sorry, I suppose. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Hope you're all keeping well.

Hubby and sons are happy about the football result!

Why is it when I have a day off work the sun has a day off too? I had Sunday off and had torrential rain, today it's cloudy and breezy. I suppose I should be thankful it's dry. 

When I went to Specsavers for an eye-test I was made to feel as though I was wasting their time, as I didn't need glasses. So never went back! Which reminds me I am due to have my eyes tested. Another item for my to-do list!! 

Have a good day and take care everyone.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not participating much - life goes on much the same as for the last year and a half.

If I started giving my views on ‘the current position’ I’d get suspended, so I’ll just wish everyone well and say to Harry, and those in a similar position, I really feel angry for you.  If I, healthy but ancient, double jabbed, feel like I’m just a human lab rat in a mad Frankenstein experiment what on earth is the scale of your rage and despair?

Take care.  Look after yourselves

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I have no words Jane…..

Whilst many people are so lovely, kind and considerate there is a small element of society that just beggar belief.

Sadly human rights has a lot to answer for.

Gill x

Some things are beyond words Gill aren't they?  If only we got a bit more support from our task-masters but unfortunately they always seem to have one eye on the political correctness of the situation before people's safety.  Yes, most people are lovely, kind, considerate, and more, but.............. it always seems to be the awful ones who's voices are ringing in your ears when you go home.  Hey ho, another day in paradise!  Have a good one Gill.  Jane.x

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16°C and cloudy here this morning.

The rain of the last 24 hours has stopped for now.

I went to the barbers yesterday for a haircut.

I bought some flowers and later today we will go to the cemetery to place them on Pauline's grandparents grave and on her baby brothers grave and also tidy the graves up.

Best wishes for Harry for his visit to Specsavers.

Best wishes also to Jane that her surgeries patients show respect to the staff and wear masks.

We have ventured out more than most on here  but we are very apprehensive of the relaxation of social distancing and indoor mask wearing rules.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

 

I've just swapped to Specsavers after 10 years of using Boots Opticians. I've not had any trouble with the latter previously but from January through to May I was backwards and forwards with a prescription that just wasn't working for me and glasses that were leaving marks on my face. Eventually they just said (rather abruptly) "It's the end of the line for you - we'll just give you your money back." That all makes me sound like an awful, difficult to please customer but I assure you that I am anything but and was extremely patient with them for months.

 

Anyway I tried Specsavers and as someone who is still cautious about going out I found them to be far more reassuring with regards to COVID safety measures, for example they even had screens separating the chairs in the waiting area (something which Boots did not have). 

 

As for my glasses, after my eye test the chap who took over to assist with selection and fitting took one look at my old pair and said straight away that they were too small and unsuitable for my face shape!

 

Hopefully what I experienced at Specsavers will be standard practice at all their sites and you will be fine.

 

All the best.

 

Damian

 

Thanks Damian.  I've always found Specsavers to be very good, having tried Boots, Asda and individual opticians (one of whom we ditched after we discovered he'd sold a new pair of glasses costing £400 to an elderly lady in the village just before her cataract surgery made them useless).

 

If there is any kind of problem, they fix it immediately with no fuss - whatever it takes.

 

The procedures they have in place at the moment are very good - I'm still trying to find out what's changing on 19 July, but my guess is that while the masks may remain, the distancing might go.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m not participating much - life goes on much the same as for the last year and a half.

If I started giving my views on ‘the current position’ I’d get suspended, so I’ll just wish everyone well and say to Harry, and those in a similar position, I really feel angry for you.  If I, healthy but ancient, double jabbed, feel like I’m just a human lab rat in a mad Frankenstein experiment what on earth is the scale of your rage and despair?

Take care.  Look after yourselves

That’s exactly the same for me.

 

this is a very difficult subject to avoid talking about, as it affects our day to day lives. As we aren’t supposed to talk about it on this forum, I just stay away in case I say something unacceptable to the mods.

 

stay safe everyone xx

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the opposite experience with Specsavers. I am a long time happy Boots customer but after my cataract surgery had to go to Specsavers for the post op check up because Boots don't offer that service. For some reason the NHS did the surgery on the left eye a few weeks after the right one so there were 2 visits. The first check up went fine but the second was not good. The testing equipment broke down and the young optician had to use the manual stuff, after reading the instructions. I was less than pleased with him going on about how he was going to buy the franchise and then several more. So after they sent the reminder for the annual eye test I ignored it and went back to my old small Boots branch. Only 2 customers including me in the branch and they did a very comprehensive test. Result, no need for a new prescription this year 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a lovely day here with clear blue skies and unbroken sunshine, we have just sat out in the garden for lunch it’s so nice.
Just been into St Annes this morning and had a coffee with my mum sat outside. There is a lovely coffee shop in Ashton Gardens with well spaced out tables.

Taking Rosie (cavalier King Charles) to dog groomers soon, her haircut is more expensive than mine!!!

Take care everyone and stay safe 

Michelle

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had a phone call this morning from Princess confirming that the guidance on their websites will be changed in the next few days to reflect the fact that a letter from the the lead investigator for Covid trials will now be accepted as proof of vaccination regardless of whether or not the particular vaccine had been approved for roll out in the UK or not.  I am now happy to know that I will be able to go on my cruise.

 

😄😄

  • Like 25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have had a phone call this morning from Princess confirming that the guidance on their websites will be changed in the next few days to reflect the fact that a letter from the the lead investigator for Covid trials will now be accepted as proof of vaccination regardless of whether or not the particular vaccine had been approved for roll out in the UK or not.  I am now happy to know that I will be able to go on my cruise.

 

😄😄

Great news Josy.  You shouldn't have been put in this position in the first place.  At last someone has seen sense.  Enjoy your well deserved cruise.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have had a phone call this morning from Princess confirming that the guidance on their websites will be changed in the next few days to reflect the fact that a letter from the the lead investigator for Covid trials will now be accepted as proof of vaccination regardless of whether or not the particular vaccine had been approved for roll out in the UK or not.  I am now happy to know that I will be able to go on my cruise.

 

😄😄

Fantastic!  Justice is done.  Delighted for you, Josy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just announced, we are moving to level 0 up here on 19 July but with some extra impositions from higher levels still in place so 0.5 in effect (level zero still has many, many restrictions before they just added in even more).
 

Mask wearing will still be law up here. The FM has said that removing it “would impose shielding by default on the vulnerable”.

 

Two hour slots in pubs etc have gone but track and trace booking in remains. Instead of back to the normal licensing laws there is still a curfew on all business at midnight. Still some distancing rules (at 1 metre now) and restrictions on total numbers.

 

Events still have limits so no big stadium events.

 

Still recommending working from home where possible.

 

Cases are still fairly high but dropping so at least moving in the right direction.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...