Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Host Sharon
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting topic raised there. When’s the ‘right’ time to move nearer the children, assuming that’s what they want?

 

Logically, sooner rather than later, though almost always it’s done too late, and I’m as guilty of that as anyone. Our problem is finding the right place in East Yorkshire - and not for want of looking. The house we have now is absolutely perfect. We designed it, with an architect of course, specifically for old age and it’s perfect in every respect for that. Wide internal doors, bedrooms downstairs as well as upstairs, plenty of space etc, but a bit of a distance from the children. Not an impossible distance, but nearer would be better for them. Good doctors too, and that’s very important.

 

If the right place came up we’d probably make the move, but there are other factors, often overlooked - what happens if the children have to move for work reasons? 


Your house sounds wonderful Harry. I still live 10 minutes drive from my childhood home where my parents still live! My sister on the other hand lives nearly 2 hours away and has moved about a dozen times! 
 

I wonder if anyone can ‘beat’ me? I’ve only lived in 3 houses my whole life! My childhood home and 2 homes with my husband, current one for 25 years.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting topic raised there. When’s the ‘right’ time to move nearer the children, assuming that’s what they want?

 

Logically, sooner rather than later, though almost always it’s done too late, and I’m as guilty of that as anyone. Our problem is finding the right place in East Yorkshire - and not for want of looking. The house we have now is absolutely perfect. We designed it, with an architect of course, specifically for old age and it’s perfect in every respect for that. Wide internal doors, bedrooms downstairs as well as upstairs, plenty of space etc, but a bit of a distance from the children. Not an impossible distance, but nearer would be better for them. Good doctors too, and that’s very important.

 

If the right place came up we’d probably make the move, but there are other factors, often overlooked - what happens if the children have to move for work reasons? 

 

At present my children are all near. Two are at the other end of the town, one daughter is here with us and my youngest son is just a stones throw away (it's quicker to walk to his house than drive). The other two are four and ten miles away, so all local. My mother moved down here shortly after we did so all my family are not too far away.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

A few years ago I had to clear out my Mum's house when she went into a care home.  Over 40 years of stuff in the loft.  I couldn't believe some of the stuff in there.  There was a sofa my Dad had taken apart to get it through the hatch!  He must have put there in the 70's.  There was a Dansette record player, which is now in my log cabin/man cave.  Also a quite pretty music box which Dad had bought for Mum in the far east when he was in the merchant navy.  It's now on display in our house.  

 

                       Lofts can be so much fun ! :classic_unsure:   https://youtu.be/mqO58ATjyoc

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've lived our current house for over 50 years. We moved in with just the barest necessities and 3 small children. Gradually over the years, as finances allowed, (no HP), we improved and built our home around us. Today we have the home I'd always wanted and the thought of leaving my house and all the memories it holds would devastate me. Thank goodness I don't have to think about that for some years yet🤞

Avril

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting reading about peoples houses and length of residence. During my time in the RN and police, 34 years, I had 11 residences ! Since retiring, 25 years, I have had 3. Never had time to get sentimental about property and couldn't imagine living in the same town all my life. Good job we're all different !

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We’re all in the local area. My parents live on the farm which has been in the family since 1873 - 6 generations. We’re unlikely to move!

That sounds perfect, from any perspective. Much the same for our neighbours, also farmers. We moved house with our careers all over the country after we left education, moving on one occasion out of London to the West Country and then back again within less than two years. 
 

Settled down a lot in later years, though, and we’ve been in this village for 30 odd years, in two different houses. Our daughter moved away a long time ago after university, and our son is getting married soon and will also be moving away. Absolutely right that they should, but it must be nice to have the family all living in the same area.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting reading about people’s house moves etc , we have just put our house up for sale this week .

It’s our 1st house and we have lived in it for 40 yrs both 70 next and we are looking to the future and have decided to move to Glossop (where wife was from) and are currently extending and renovating her mum’s bungalow who passed away last year .

We hope to be in it by Xmas , moving a bit away from son’s and grandchildren but there only 20/30 drive so no issues . The garden at the bungalow will be much easier to maintain than the terraces in our back garden 

181D0A06-937C-4DEB-BF9D-B3ABB3774F82.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:


Your house sounds wonderful Harry. I still live 10 minutes drive from my childhood home where my parents still live! My sister on the other hand lives nearly 2 hours away and has moved about a dozen times! 
 

I wonder if anyone can ‘beat’ me? I’ve only lived in 3 houses my whole life! My childhood home and 2 homes with my husband, current one for 25 years.

Same as you, just 3 houses.  My parents house, the first house I bought for  8 years and this one for 32 years.  

 

My husband's aunt and uncle used to move every two years, just because they felt like it.  I lost count of all their houses, but must have been at least 30 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m currently mid house move and in a dreaded chain.

 

I moved to West Sussex 7 years ago having lived in the house I was born in for 55 years. That was a huge rollercoaster of emotions and clearing out everything out that my parents and then myself had owned was really hard. There was even a cast iron sink up in the loft. Goodness knows how it got up there but I suspect it still might be there!

I still think of that house as “home” but it is now unrecognisable as the new owners knocked all the character out of it and made it ultra modern (which of course was utterly their choice). With this current move it is much much easier as very little emotional attachment.
However I have noticed much more paperwork with the buying progress this time. Plus all the do’s and dont’s for new place. The most bizarre being I am not allowed to keep pigs! No mention of other livestock 🤣 so I assume a long time ago there was a pig farm nearby and the owners didn’t want any competition…..

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We moved house in May, downsizing from a 4 bedroom detached to a 2 bedroom apartment, and clearing out the old house after nearly 40 years of filling the loft, the 2nd garage, and fitted wardrobes in all 4 bedrooms was a mammoth task.

But probably the most frustrating task was reading through reams of e-mail attachments from the solicitor, especially when every one prompted us to check the information ourselves, why were we paying them so much to check out everything for legal problems, if they then excused themselves of liability?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some might say that our lives are rather insular but I prefer to think of us as old oak trees with strong roots! I’ve mentioned before how family ties are really strong in our community and for me, that provides a wonderful foundation to our lives and gives us a lot of confidence and security. I went away to Uni as did our three, but they’ve all returned home. I think that 2 will probably move further north in time because of their partners and that’s ok too. My grandfather was born in 1901 and died at 94, and he remembered his grandfather who moved to the farm in 1873 so it’s a personal connection. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20210731_174622.thumb.jpg.a1f5bc3bf842259fd86f689a7f88b027.jpgMy lovely god-daughter has brought these lovely flowers for no particular reason, she said that they are "just because" flowers.

 

 

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My late parents lived in their last house for 40 years before they died.

We have lived in our house for 39 years.

Today we popped across to Lake Windermere and had a lovely lunch and walk around Bowness.

Graham.

 

IMG-20210731-WA0001.jpg

IMG_20210731_122219.jpg

IMG_20210731_124005.jpg

IMG_20210731_134920.jpg

IMG_20210731_135236.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My late parents lived in their last house for 40 years before they died.

We have lived in our house for 39 years.

Today we popped across to Lake Windermere and had a lovely lunch and walk around Bowness.

Graham.

 

IMG-20210731-WA0001.jpg

IMG_20210731_122219.jpg

IMG_20210731_124005.jpg

IMG_20210731_134920.jpg

IMG_20210731_135236.jpg

Still hungry Graham?Don't like the way you're looking at that goose.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JB9302 said:

Interesting reading about people’s house moves etc , we have just put our house up for sale this week .

It’s our 1st house and we have lived in it for 40 yrs both 70 next and we are looking to the future and have decided to move to Glossop (where wife was from) and are currently extending and renovating her mum’s bungalow who passed away last year .

We hope to be in it by Xmas , moving a bit away from son’s and grandchildren but there only 20/30 drive so no issues . The garden at the bungalow will be much easier to maintain than the terraces in our back garden 

181D0A06-937C-4DEB-BF9D-B3ABB3774F82.jpeg

Sounds like a great plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having spent the evening with a group of NHS front line workers I have been convinced by them that it is time to step back from doing voluntary work in the local covid vaccination centre.  They have pointed out that that I am putting myself at risk for the sake of people who just want to get a jab so that they can go out and pretend that covid has gone away. I

I know that they are my family and friends and are concerned about my health but I realise that they are right so I will sadly now step back and think more about my own health and family.

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

20210731_174622.thumb.jpg.a1f5bc3bf842259fd86f689a7f88b027.jpgMy lovely god-daughter has brought these lovely flowers for no particular reason, she said that they are "just because" flowers.

 

 


How lovely Josy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We moved house in May, downsizing from a 4 bedroom detached to a 2 bedroom apartment, and clearing out the old house after nearly 40 years of filling the loft, the 2nd garage, and fitted wardrobes in all 4 bedrooms was a mammoth task

Must have been a massive undertaking, but you did it at the right time. One thing - Joan Collins says the secret of a happy marriage is two bathrooms! Hope you have adhered to her philosophy!

My sister and I keep trying to persuade our mother to move to something smaller,  especially as we both live 3 hours away, but she has built up a support team of gardeners, plumbers, electricians etc and fantastic neighbours,  and won't be moved. And good for her - she lived through the Doodle Bugs, so, who are we to argue!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Having spent the evening with a group of NHS front line workers I have been convinced by them that it is time to step back from doing voluntary work in the local covid vaccination centre.  They have pointed out that that I am putting myself at risk for the sake of people who just want to get a jab so that they can go out and pretend that covid has gone away. I

I know that they are my family and friends and are concerned about my health but I realise that they are right so I will sadly now step back and think more about my own health and family.

Josy - you have done more than enough - time to take a break, and I, for one,  thank you for all you  have done.  

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Having spent the evening with a group of NHS front line workers I have been convinced by them that it is time to step back from doing voluntary work in the local covid vaccination centre.  They have pointed out that that I am putting myself at risk for the sake of people who just want to get a jab so that they can go out and pretend that covid has gone away. I

I know that they are my family and friends and are concerned about my health but I realise that they are right so I will sadly now step back and think more about my own health and family.

Josy, you have done some amazing voluntary work, both at the vaccination centre and also as a volunteer in the vaccination trials.You certainly deserve those flowers.Perhaps its time to take time to do something for yourself- a cruise perhaps?!!

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

My sister and I keep trying to persuade our mother to move to something smaller,  especially as we both live 3 hours away, but she has built up a support team of gardeners, plumbers, electricians etc and fantastic neighbours,  and won't be moved. And good for her - she lived through the Doodle Bugs, so, who are we to argue!


 

At the grand old age of 95 it’s probably best she stays and be happy in her home , it’s a big upheaval to move at that age and it’s looks as if she’s got it all under control with her support team .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

One thing - Joan Collins says the secret of a happy marriage is two bathrooms! 

And another secret is separate adjoining bedrooms..........though you might choose to start the night in just one of them!  🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Having spent the evening with a group of NHS front line workers I have been convinced by them that it is time to step back from doing voluntary work in the local covid vaccination centre.  They have pointed out that that I am putting myself at risk for the sake of people who just want to get a jab so that they can go out and pretend that covid has gone away. I

I know that they are my family and friends and are concerned about my health but I realise that they are right so I will sadly now step back and think more about my own health and family.

I am sure you have done more than your fair share. Have a rest and enjoy the rest of the summer

Michelle

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...