Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Host Sharon
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have had 2 sets of photos sent to me this morning from my nieces.  The Americans went back to school yesterday and the English today.  My English nephew & niece look so smart in their uniforms but my American nephew and nieces are dressed casually as they are in every other photo that I have of them.  I can't  make up my mind about which system I prefer, I think that uniforms encourage equality but no casual wear allows the children to express their individuality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

casual wear allows the children to express their individuality.

And allows those with rich parents to flaunt their wealth over the less well off. Uniforms every time.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Avril - I don't wear a mask anymore when in well ventilated areas. I have limited interaction with any strangers,  and never for more than a few seconds at close quarters. 

The chances of me contracting Covid,  let alone passing it on, are minuscule.

That's not to say  that I will not wear a mask in an enclosed,  crowded environment.

The whole mask wearing debate comes down to risk assessment.  Wearing a mask in a virtually empty Tesco - No. Wearing a mask in a crowded Costa - Yes.

 

 

I take your point wowzz. There's a lot of conflicting advice floating around regarding the wearing of masks that we will  all interpret differently and adapt it to suit what we  personally consider is safe, but we mustn't forget that there are others to consider in risk assessment not just our own comfort.  IMO this is a nationwide problem, not just a personal one.

Avril

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Great idea but sod's law the new date would be during said cruise!

Never mind Sharon, they will get to you eventually. Just don't do anything silly
and should you feel any worse, call the hospital .That's what I've been told for the 
last few years anyway .Right up to the day must have been gutting for you ,just keep
 your chin up ,you will be sorted and from what I saw on my time on the cardio ward 
they do amazing things ,heart surgery has come on in leaps and bounds over the years.
A bit like facial plastic surgery ..No one raises an eyebrow :classic_unsure:

Take care :classic_smile:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I take your point wowzz. There's a lot of conflicting advice floating around regarding the wearing of masks that we will  all interpret differently and adapt it to suit what we  personally consider is safe, but we mustn't forget that there are others to consider in risk assessment not just our own comfort.  IMO this is a nationwide problem, not just a personal one.

Avril

Indeed, and in certain situations I will continue to wear a mask. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Great idea but sod's law the new date would be during said cruise!

Hope you don't have to wait too long for your op.It will have to be a post op cruise to aid recovery! Take Care

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Indeed, and in certain situations I will continue to wear a mask. 

I think that no-one is right or wrong whatever their opinion about masks and that we all have to take responsibility for our own health which to me means deciding how much risk to take.  We all need to remember that we are still susceptible to catching the virus even after 2 doses of the vaccine.  I have accepted that Covid is here to stay and have decided that I will continue to wear my mask in shops and in restaurants when I am walking to my table and I will definitely wear it in the vaccine hub when I am volunteering.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

May be an image of text that says 'Who remembers walking to the nearest telephone box to find a queue, then getting annoyed when the person in the box put more money in to extend the call. RESRNNHONA'

There was a telephone box opposite our house and it used to drive my dad mad that for some reason teenagers used to hang about around it and my 2 sisters and I would watch them from our bedroom window, he used to threaten to switch us into the smaller bedroom  and let my brother have ours.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

And allows those with rich parents to flaunt their wealth over the less well off. Uniforms every time.

I agree. Uniforms are easier for parents and teachers as long as they’re kept simple and are available from a wide selection of outlets to suit all pockets. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

And the Delta variant, unfortunately. And the likelihood of further variants which will make the existing vaccine even less effective.

 

This is going to be a long haul.

So you would recommend that we should give up any idea of a gradual return to near normality anytime soon?

I do sympathise with you and your immunity issues, as well as the many others with similar conditions, but I do hope we can return to near normality very soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will the booster doses be the original type of vaccine or now incorporating the Delta and South African variants? Seems to me that it should be like the flu jab cocktail of variants to give maximum protection.

I seem to remember that the final decision on the flu variants to include before production around May / June each year so there should have been time to add the other covid variants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had a quick read of all the post since my last visit.

 

So sorry to hear that your operation has been cancelled, Sharon. Hope it's not too long before you get a new date.

 

Went out this morning and visited a few different stores. In Boots most people were wearing masks, but going into the other stores it was the younger demographic that were not mask wearing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Will the booster doses be the original type of vaccine or now incorporating the Delta and South African variants? Seems to me that it should be like the flu jab cocktail of variants to give maximum protection.

I seem to remember that the final decision on the flu variants to include before production around May / June each year so there should have been time to add the other covid variants.

I thought the decision had been made that covid booster shots would only be given to susceptible individuals,  not to the gen pop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I thought the decision had been made that covid booster shots would only be given to susceptible individuals,  not to the gen pop. 

 

I was also thinking about the susceptible people boosters who probably need more protection from the Delta.

I read today that yesterday was just the first announcement, there will be more information during this month once mix and match of vaccine types and the decline in immunity had been further established. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I thought the decision had been made that covid booster shots would only be given to susceptible individuals,  not to the gen pop. 

At the moment it's about half a million or so immunosuppressed individuals - and being described a new vaccination (with a six month booster shot probably) rather than a booster.

 

My guess is that the over 70s will be added shortly, and possibly the over 60s - but that is only a guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Will the booster doses be the original type of vaccine or now incorporating the Delta and South African variants? Seems to me that it should be like the flu jab cocktail of variants to give maximum protection.

I seem to remember that the final decision on the flu variants to include before production around May / June each year so there should have been time to add the other covid variants.

If only it was that simple. We used to usually get to know around March time what strains of flu were the most likely to be prevalent, we then had to order the raw materials that had short shelf lives and start production for supply Aug/Sept for the European market. some years the flu vaccine was not very effective as WHO predicted wrongly or a super virus emerged. Albeit the pharma companies reacted quickly to Covid it is difficult to create a vaccine for a variant that may have mutated by the time the vaccine is available. It may be a case of a booster of what we currently have to increase protection, clinical trials are currently running and may give pointers. There seems to be a favourable view that anyone who has had Astra would benefit more from Pfizer or Moderna. I have not read anywhere that swapping from Pfizer to Astra is advantageous. It is not easy to get quality data as Pharma tends to keep things close to their chest, unless of course they want to boost their share price.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

....but we now have the vaccine.

Avril

The vaccine isn’t going to return us to how the world was in December 2019. 
 

It’s one of a range of measures that will help us to live in the world we have now 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

If only it was that simple. We used to usually get to know around March time what strains of flu were the most likely to be prevalent, we then had to order the raw materials that had short shelf lives and start production for supply Aug/Sept for the European market. some years the flu vaccine was not very effective as WHO predicted wrongly or a super virus emerged. Albeit the pharma companies reacted quickly to Covid it is difficult to create a vaccine for a variant that may have mutated by the time the vaccine is available. It may be a case of a booster of what we currently have to increase protection, clinical trials are currently running and may give pointers. There seems to be a favourable view that anyone who has had Astra would benefit more from Pfizer or Moderna. I have not read anywhere that swapping from Pfizer to Astra is advantageous. It is not easy to get quality data as Pharma tends to keep things close to their chest, unless of course they want to boost their share price.

 

I see that the strain recommendations were amended by the EU in June, so would later doses be manufactured to that specification?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

There's no evidence to support your claim that public bodies spend our money too freely - apart from bias and vitriol from bodies such as the Taxpayers' Alliance, which is a low tax big business lobby group that has nothing to do with ordinary taxpayers.  

 

Your council tax pays for education, care for the elderly, policing, roads, health and a host of other things.  Which ones would you prefer to do without?

I would prefer that they don't waste my money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

 

I see that the strain recommendations were amended by the EU in June, so would later doses be manufactured to that specification?

I am not sure, I wouldn't want to apply common sense answers as it does not apply in most cases. The Delta variant seems to have dug in with only one new variant I have seen which is of concern. I think it is a case of watch this space until an announcement is made. I would however expect one big Pharma to have created a modified vaccine to tackle Delta, in the hope that the virus had not mutated so much that it was ineffective. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

At the moment it's about half a million or so immunosuppressed individuals - and being described a new vaccination (with a six month booster shot probably) rather than a booster.

 

My guess is that the over 70s will be added shortly, and possibly the over 60s - but that is only a guess.

Agree.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have had 2 sets of photos sent to me this morning from my nieces.  The Americans went back to school yesterday and the English today.  My English nephew & niece look so smart in their uniforms but my American nephew and nieces are dressed casually as they are in every other photo that I have of them.  I can't  make up my mind about which system I prefer, I think that uniforms encourage equality but no casual wear allows the children to express their individuality.

I definitely favour school uniforms. Most school uniform can be bought at a fairly good price these days, Primary schools have a duty to ensure that uniform prices are reasonable for all children, at our school, pre-covid,  we ran a second hand uniform shop too, selling items from 50p.

On the rare non-uniform days you can tell a few families struggle.

Children's personalities and individuality shine through even in uniform 🙂

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...