Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

4 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/28/us/hospitals-cyberattacks-coronavirus.amp.html?0p19G=2103

Things aren’t so great here, as cases spike (even in my little Vermont) and Russian hackers have targeted hospital IT systems all over the country, including a 6 hospital network here in Vermont. Honestly, could it get any worse?

How frustrating this must be for everyone, but especially people like you who are committed to making the system work.

I do hope Election Day does not create more challenges for that system.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 12:37 PM, nordski said:

How frustrating this must be for everyone, but especially people like you who are committed to making the system work.

I do hope Election Day does not create more challenges for that system.

That is a worry! I think that everyone is just keeping their fingers crossed!!

Meanwhile, my employer (the State) announced late yesterday that they are extending  remote work until at least March 31st (from December 31st). And leave requests are not guaranteed in my department because it is essentially all hands on deck. So I dare  not book anything for the foreseeable future. Ah well, guess I’d like to hear from others how the first few sailings go anyway. 
Betsey

• Like 1

The UK will go into 4 weeks lockdown on Thursday. Pubs, restaurants, non essential retail all closed, but schools and universities will stay open. Everyone who can has to work from home. We should have done this 3 weeks ago - we’ve doing it now because if we don’t hospitals will not cope with the rising number of hospitalisations.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

The UK will go into 4 weeks lockdown on Thursday. Pubs, restaurants, non essential retail all closed, but schools and universities will stay open. Everyone who can has to work from home. We should have done this 3 weeks ago - we’ve doing it now because if we don’t hospitals will not cope with the rising number of hospitalisations.

Hi Grandma Cruising,

Just to point out that it is only England (the vast bulk of the population of United Kingdom) going into lockdown on Thursday. Wales, Scotland & NI are all under separate arrangements, which is making it so difficult for us all to keep up with regulations and guidance. So whilst I live in Scotland, many of my family and work colleagues are directly impacted by the lockdown in England. Whatever our area of residence, this is going to be a very hard winter for us all. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

This is very unfortunate but I hope that it works and that, for the sake of consistency,  the Johnson Government stays the course despite misgivings in the caucus.

On a brighter note, on BBC 4 this morning they devoted some time to music from a marching/concert band of, I think, the Queen’s Household. I probably have that designation wrong.

The music was to remind us of the traditional Remembrance Day Services, services which may look very different this year.

And, on the Archers, a programme which has reverted to its more traditional format (will it continue to do so under the new regulations?), there was the background sound of clucking chickens.

In this trying period, both experiences were strangely comforting to a person who spent much of his youth playing in a marching/concert band, albeit of a much lower quality, and tending large flocks of chickens in various barns.

In the latter case, I never thought I’d enjoy the noises made by chickens in such a profound way. 😄

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mrs Skip said:

Hi Grandma Cruising,

Just to point out that it is only England (the vast bulk of the population of United Kingdom) going into lockdown on Thursday. Wales, Scotland & NI are all under separate arrangements, which is making it so difficult for us all to keep up with regulations and guidance. So whilst I live in Scotland, many of my family and work colleagues are directly impacted by the lockdown in England. Whatever our area of residence, this is going to be a very hard winter for us all. 

Yes, you’re right. I should have said England.

4 hours ago, uktog said:

And Scotland have been under tighter rules since August. Maybe (not a political comment) that was what should have happened UK wide. 

I totally agree.

We’ve had very contrasting walks this week. On Wednesday it was a lovely sunny day and we walked up the hill out of our village, seeing the Humber Bridge looking lovely in the sun DCBF79E6-363A-409E-81D7-0C55FB622124.thumb.jpeg.023c10bad2c81b42ae48b30192a682fe.jpeg

Today we went to Hessle and walked along the river front nearly to the bridge - it was very foggy and we could just see the bridge looming out of the fog, but we couldn’t see Lincolnshire, on the other side of the river, at all.

7C3C4D2E-438A-421C-AE26-6E842EC25FC3.jpeg

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

We are in the midst of a week long “heat wave” where the daytime highs have been in the high teens or warmer, often setting set new records. This makes it comfortable for raking up leaves as opposed to the cold drizzle, or even snow that we often encounter at this stage of the season. 

Unfortunately, the number of Covid cases is also setting new records, especially in the municipality to the south of us. Some epidemiologists are forecasting that if we don’t take mitigating steps now conditions will become rather dire.

Finally, a third record. For the first time a pair of swans set up their home on our lake and now we have 30, both adult and cygnets. Do swans use social media to identify the latest “hot spot”? I hope that they know what they are doing. That lake may be rather uncomfortable in January.

• Like 3

Greetings From Saskatchewan, Canada:

In reference to the topic of flu shots we have ample flu vaccine, free of charge and available through Pharmacies, Doctors and large clinics.  We are ableto make appointments even at the Pharmacies and all the paper work can be filled out online and thus avoiding line ups and congestion.  We are looking with envy to the Eastern part of our country where they are experiencing second summer....we just broke records for snowfall this weekend:

07116CF7-ADD4-4DA9-94C3-63EE3EEA5626.jpeg

EC5AA459-4D3F-46D6-BD62-A8C104E30C61.jpeg

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, ransclan said:

Greetings From Saskatchewan, Canada:

In reference to the topic of flu shots we have ample flu vaccine, free of charge and available through Pharmacies, Doctors and large clinics.  We are ableto make appointments even at the Pharmacies and all the paper work can be filled out online and thus avoiding line ups and congestion.  We are looking with envy to the Eastern part of our country where they are experiencing second summer....we just broke records for snowfall this weekend:

07116CF7-ADD4-4DA9-94C3-63EE3EEA5626.jpeg

EC5AA459-4D3F-46D6-BD62-A8C104E30C61.jpeg

We are living in the “heat wave” in Ontario, but these photos reassure me that having the winter tires mounted this morning is still a good idea.

• Like 2

Australia has now  had 3 days of 0 cases and 0 deaths from COVID.
After over 3 months in lockdown in Melbourne, where we live, has come out of hard lockdown in the last couple of weeks and has now had 11 days of 0 cases. Masks are still compulsory but we can now see our families and friends. Our city and country is now starting to open up but international travel will not happen until mid next year. 
We feel for all those countries that are seeing spikes in the case numbers. Stay safe everyone.

Edited by DRJVH
  • Like 4

On 11/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, nordski said:

We are living in the “heat wave” in Ontario, but these photos reassure me that having the winter tires mounted this morning is still a good idea.

We are too, but in both senses of the word "heat".  Toronto is currently a covid hot spot as well as having temps here today expected to be 23C.  A wonderful bonus.

We're still hoping to get to go to Florida some time within the next month, after the political situation "downstairs" settles down a bit more.

7 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

We are too, but in both senses of the word "heat".  Toronto is currently a covid hot spot as well as having temps here today expected to be 23C.  A wonderful bonus.

We're still hoping to get to go to Florida some time within the next month, after the political situation "downstairs" settles down a bit more.

Glad you are keeping your Florida options open. You are certainly braver than we are, but we are probably also in a higher risk group.

Right now I’m deciding as to whether I’ll meet with one of our daughters in the Dovercourt or High Park areas of Toronto next Sunday.

As a resident of Toronto she is much more comfortable with the present circumstances than I.So I’ll be carefully watching de Villa’s recommendations.

2 hours ago, nordski said:

Glad you are keeping your Florida options open. You are certainly braver than we are, but we are probably also in a higher risk group.

Right now I’m deciding as to whether I’ll meet with one of our daughters in the Dovercourt or High Park areas of Toronto next Sunday.

As a resident of Toronto she is much more comfortable with the present circumstances than I.So I’ll be carefully watching de Villa’s recommendations.

A correction: I should have referred to Dr. de Villa. Somehow the Dr. was accidentally omitted.

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Same in Vermont. And mine are going on tomorrow!

Betsey

So the question is do you use wheel covers with the rims of your winter tires?

In this area, there is a clear majority decision on that crucial issue. 😄

Edited by nordski

On 11/11/2020 at 6:06 PM, nordski said:

So the question is do you use wheel covers with the rims of your winter tires?

In this area, there is a clear majority decision on that crucial issue. 😄

Not usually, especially since we have rims for each set.

It used to be that only cop cars would go without wheel covers, now many of us don’t bother... 😏

1 hour ago, snowglobe said:

Not usually, especially since we have rims for each set.

It used to be that only cop cars would go without wheel covers, now many of us don’t bother... 😏

That’s certainly the consensus here.

In a fit of madness I bought covers for my winter rims.

And now the dealership that stores my sets of tires has...you guessed it... lost them. 😢

Our Indian summer heat wave is over now here in Ontario, and we had flurries this morning.  It's windy and 4C right now, although sunny.  I was fully kitted out for my (short) walk just now.  Our province, particularly Toronto, is flirting with a complete lockdown again.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Our Indian summer heat wave is over now here in Ontario, and we had flurries this morning.  It's windy and 4C right now, although sunny.  I was fully kitted out for my (short) walk just now.  Our province, particularly Toronto, is flirting with a complete lockdown again.

Cold here in Vermont as well, and although we are not in a complete “lockdown” , bars have been closed again, anyone going in or out of the state must quarantine and we have been told not to celebrate our Thanksgiving next week with anyone outside of our immediate household. Cases are surging in every state. It’s going to be a long winter.

On 11/18/2020 at 2:33 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

Cold here in Vermont as well, and although we are not in a complete “lockdown” , bars have been closed again, anyone going in or out of the state must quarantine and we have been told not to celebrate our Thanksgiving next week with anyone outside of our immediate household. Cases are surging in every state. It’s going to be a long winter.

I have to share that, in our Toronto press in the past few days, Vermont’s policies are receiving accolades.

In particular there is a great respect for the state’s efforts to protect those at risk and those who cannot easily self-isolate.

This is one of the few good news stories that we hear as our approaches seem to be wanting.

• Like 4

On 11/18/2020 at 2:33 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

Sounds good, and about how it is on Ontario now, at least in Toronto and regions around us.  

And yes, it is going to be very, very long winter!