Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

To stop following a topic, go to your profile (top right of page) click on your name, then on ‘Manage Followed Content’. This brings up a box headed ‘Topics I follow’. Look for the topic you want to change and click on ‘Change Preference’ to find the unfollow button.

Or look at the top of the page for a particular topic.  There is a box that says 'Follow' – you click it to start following that thread; you click it again to stop following.

On 3/21/2021 at 2:51 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

To stop following a topic, go to your profile (top right of page) click on your name, then on ‘Manage Followed Content’. This brings up a box headed ‘Topics I follow’. Look for the topic you want to change and click on ‘Change Preference’ to find the unfollow button.

Thank you.

13 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

DCE66BAB-A61B-444E-96BD-5D2D557E50E5.thumb.jpeg.898d79bfb632a4e35d08ec65eb41c2e0.jpeg

22A8720A-37E9-4BA3-9BF8-9A39548BAC3D.jpeg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Those photos just scream SPRING! Can we add a sound track of migrating Canada Geese?

I have to admire an artisan who keeps their "sugaring off" equipment in such good condition.

And thanks to the indigenous person, according to oral tradition a woman, who created this process.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nordski said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Those photos just scream SPRING! Can we add a sound track of migrating Canada Geese?

I have to admire an artisan who keeps their "sugaring off" equipment in such good condition.

And thanks to the indigenous person, according to oral tradition a woman, who created this process.

Unfortunately, we can’t let in the Canada geese this year because the borders are closed! 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MNgardens said:

@Mackdogmolly Is it a daily boiling down of the syrup or do you wait several days?

When the sap is running fast (nights below 32F. and days above), we have to boil every day to keep up. You can keep adding sap as you boil, before your final boil to the syrup stage. We have about 3 quarts so far.

4 hours ago, nordski said:

This is so cruel when the border to Vermont is closed.😢

I couldn’t resist. This pic is from a couple of years ago at a local sugar house. They got almost everything right to satisfy a traditional sugar-on-snow purist, but when I grew up, it was served with a plain  raised doughnut, not a cake one. Still good though! 🙂

18 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I couldn’t resist. This pic is from a couple of years ago at a local sugar house. They got almost everything right to satisfy a traditional sugar-on-snow purist, but when I grew up, it was served with a plain  raised doughnut, not a cake one. Still good though! 🙂

We are having above average temperatures for the past week or so and, although this raises the spirits of those who were stuck indoors, it does not help syrup production.

So, those who have an interest should be stocking their syrup cellars in case there is a shortage.

Also, Ontario syrup exports were up about 20% last year, suggesting that people around the world were turning to nature’s true comfort food. Thus even more reason to provide it on Azamara. 😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nordski said:

We are having above average temperatures for the past week or so and, although this raises the spirits of those who were stuck indoors, it does not help syrup production.

So, those who have an interest should be stocking their syrup cellars in case there is a shortage.

Also, Ontario syrup exports were up about 20% last year, suggesting that people around the world were turning to nature’s true comfort food. Thus even more reason to provide it on Azamara. 😉

Just returned from a shopping trip and we have bought 2 jars of syrup, if I had read your post before we went we would have got more, it's on the list for next time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nordski said:

We were having warm weather too, and think our sap is done for the year. We did manage to produce about a gallon of syrup though. 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Just returned from a shopping trip and we have bought 2 jars of syrup, if I had read your post before we went we would have got more, it's on the list for next time 

I hope I gave the right advice! But certainly production will be down.

Keep in mind that I am so naive about prices on goods etc. that I am probably the guy on the ship who, in relative terms, paid more than any other cruiser.

On 3/26/2021 at 5:45 PM, mwf7501 said:

64 oz. just delivered a couple of days ago.    My cheerios and waffles are set for months.

Maple syrup.jpg

And you got the dark robust! That’s what we natives prefer! The fancy light stuff is for the tourists!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

It’s lovely to see trees in blossom and the spring flowers, so here are a couple of photos to cheer up your day.F135D805-D37B-4B17-99C9-090945257ECD.thumb.jpeg.7231ecdd84fba697e8968561ce30c57f.jpeg

Cherry tree just across the road.

6123260F-3237-4A3E-BE6D-8846FA582BC9.thumb.jpeg.5337dce2b62daa021f4ce98c227653cf.jpeg

Our spring bulbs are well out.

0FDA66FC-8CC7-4DA2-A95E-B9FD2FE2C624.thumb.jpeg.c18fc8911ffcf6f852527d4c8b4f2b2a.jpegPolyanthus looking nice and bright.

Beautiful, Denise! We only have shoots just poking their heads out and the trees are only barely starting to bud. 
Betsey

• 3 weeks later...

The attached maple syrup item showed up on our doorstep this morning, and for a brief moment I thought it might be a special drone delivery from Vermont.

However, more prosaically, it turned out to be a gift from a neighbour produced when weather was more favourable. The year on the label suggests that we are not the only ones becoming Covid-confused.

In more positive news, both my wife and I have received our first doses of vaccine, but VOC’s (variants of concern) continue to be troubling in the province.

804FFB92-6D68-4DFC-9BD9-6624F0290B37.thumb.jpeg.2f9b3bebc57e4b6209ee6ef386744e14.jpeg

Edited by nordski
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nordski said:

The attached maple syrup item showed up on our doorstep this morning, and for a brief moment I thought it might be a special drone delivery from Vermont.

However, more prosaically, it turned out to be a gift from a neighbour produced when weather was more favourable. The year on the label suggests that we are not the only ones becoming Covid-confused.

In more positive news, both my wife and I have received our first doses of vaccine, but VOC’s (variants of concern) continue to be troubling in the province.

804FFB92-6D68-4DFC-9BD9-6624F0290B37.thumb.jpeg.2f9b3bebc57e4b6209ee6ef386744e14.jpeg

I wish I could send our liquid gold to all of you!! If the syrup was canned, it could be last year’s. Doesn’t really spoil.