River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

2 hours ago, acwmom said:

Allergy season is much less severe than normal, maybe because of no co-existing viruses?

It's been a very cool spring here in NY, so trees and flowers have been opening gradually.  Grass hasn't gone to seed yet.  I'm thinking that has kept my allergies in check [that and staying in the house like a good boy].  A sudden warm spell that coats my car in yellow pollen is bad, and we haven't had that yet.

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's been a very cool spring here in NY, so trees and flowers have been opening gradually.  Grass hasn't gone to seed yet.  I'm thinking that has kept my allergies in check [that and staying in the house like a good boy].  A sudden warm spell that coats my car in yellow pollen is bad, and we haven't had that yet.

We've had some yellow pollen on cars, and some freezes, and some more pollen. My husband has already mowed several times. The next few weeks will be interesting, as things open again. Being in an area that is less dense, population-wise, is definitely a plus.

Robin 

I don't have much hope for NY, but we're going to Maine in July [if they will let NYers in!] and maybe I can get a haircut there.  Or I might detour into New Hampshire ["Live Free Or Die"]

Chris cut my hair 3 weeks ago. She did a really great job and it's almost time for another visit! If this medical gig doesn't work out... Good luck finding a place for a trim, Jazzbeau.

Robin, I can't imagine a scarier place than a pediatrician's office. And I'm in the ICU this week, dealing with confirmed cases. At least I am still doing telemedicine for almost all of my work, during my non-ICU weeks. I stayed home for almost 2 weeks straight. Stay well!

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Chris cut my hair 3 weeks ago. She did a really great job and it's almost time for another visit! If this medical gig doesn't work out... Good luck finding a place for a trim, Jazzbeau.

Robin, I can't imagine a scarier place than a pediatrician's office. And I'm in the ICU this week, dealing with confirmed cases. At least I am still doing telemedicine for almost all of my work, during my non-ICU weeks. I stayed home for almost 2 weeks straight. Stay well!

I can be there in a little over 2 hours.  When is Chris available?  :classic_smile:

• Like 2

So, I have what Jeremy Clarkson would end a Top Gear or The Grand Tour show with as a "bombshell" – I am reading Kindle books while in lock-down mode.  "Why is this a bombshell" anyone under 40 is likely to ask?  Because I am a retired Librarian and love, love, love the feel of paper in my hands while I read a book.  But I decided to re-read the Harry Potter series, and when I went down to the dungeon library [see what I did there? – I'm already in Harry Potter mode!] I realized that I had lent books 1 and 2 to someone.  Suspects come to mind, but none have fessed up.  What to do?  Somehow, just as I finally caught up on The Grand Tour, I discovered that my Amazon Prime membership includes free kindle downloads of Harry Potter 1 and 2 [only those, but that's all I needed!].  So yesterday I read book 1 on my MacBook Pro – and despite not being able to feel the paper in my hands [even with good grades in my Hogwarts first-year courses] I really enjoyed the experience.  So now, if over 70s are ever allowed to cruise again, I can board the ship with a whole library in my MacBook.  You CAN teach a [very] old dog new tricks!!! 

• Like 1

The schools have been closed since 3/12 and daycares closed nearly a month ago. The kids aren’t sharing germs. I’m doing almost all sick visits via telemedicine. Well visits are questioned in advance about illness, but I have to keep kids immunized.

Here’s a pic of me in my makeshift PPE, seeing a child with ear pain in the car. Thanks to Home Depot for my mask, Harbor Freight for my protective eyewear, and Disney for my poncho.

I’ll take kids over the ICU any day. YOU stay well!!!

2815de2a49bafe986a2ccfb60544a349.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 2

I have had my first trip to the library today. It went smoothly. Put mask on, got a basket given (everyone gets a basket, when they have no baskets left to give they know they have reached the maximum number of people allowed), waited at a distance of 1.50m, returned my book, went out, returned the basket, took mask off. Easy. Still weird, though.

Much has been happening in Europe as regards easing restrictions, or planning to. You will find the good news about Austria and France (among the bad) in today's live reporting of Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-us-tally-puts-infections-at-over-1-million/a-53264933

And New Zealand is looking better, too.

And Portugal will lift its state of emergency from 3 May.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I returned a book to the library just as they were shutting down, and they haven't checked it in yet.  Thankfully they extended all due dates to May 1, so no overdue fines yet.  I just hope they haven't lost it.

22 hours ago, acwmom said:

The schools have been closed since 3/12 and daycares closed nearly a month ago. The kids aren’t sharing germs. I’m doing almost all sick visits via telemedicine. Well visits are questioned in advance about illness, but I have to keep kids immunized.

Here’s a pic of me in my makeshift PPE, seeing a child with ear pain in the car. Thanks to Home Depot for my mask, Harbor Freight for my protective eyewear, and Disney for my poncho.

I’ll take kids over the ICU any day. YOU stay well!!!

Thanks Robin! That does make sense - the kids will be a little less contagious if they aren't sharing their cooties with each other. I like your setup there in the parking lot - maybe we'll try to get that going here at the VA! 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I returned a book to the library just as they were shutting down, and they haven't checked it in yet.  Thankfully they extended all due dates to May 1, so no overdue fines yet.  I just hope they haven't lost it.

They did that here with extensions. No fines well into May. The library reopened last week. A blessing for all the book-loving children and a relief for parents. Children are only gradually allowed back to school.

And, jazzbeau, a retired librarian using e-books, my that is a bombshell! I love the smell of old books and the feel of paper. I used to work in a music library as part of my previous job. My, did we have some lovely old dusty sheet music on the shelves. 😄

We are still being warned about travelling. Here is the latest, headline: Germany extends worldwide travel warning until mid-June

from Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/germany-extends-worldwide-travel-warning-until-mid-june/a-53277877

It is relevant for cancelling and liability (insurance). Here in Germany, refunds are now "discouraged" and companies and TA's would prefer vouchers and re-booking, but EU laws allow for refunds. No changes to the regulations have been made due to the outbreak. Good for customers, but the industry is desperate.

notamermaid

@notamermaid In light of the travel warning being extended, is there anything being done by Deutche Bahn with regards to being more flexible about cancellations and vouchers. I have 2 reservations (Frankfurt Airport to Koblenz in May and Strasbourg to Frankfurt Airport in June), both booked on Super Saver fares. I can't find anything on the English website about any flexibility in this regard; is there anything on the German side? It isn't a lot of money, but if there is any way of getting vouchers that could be used for the replacement trip in September/October 2021 - not 2020 - it would be helpful.

Thanks for all the help you provide to all of us.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:43 PM, acwmom said:

The schools have been closed since 3/12 and daycares closed nearly a month ago. The kids aren’t sharing germs. I’m doing almost all sick visits via telemedicine.

One of my best friends is a pediatrician in Louisville - and she was saying she is doing much of her work via telemedicine...

Dedicated health care providers - and everyone who supports them in any capacity (pharmacists, RTs, dietary, cleaning staff...) - are what will get us through this crisis.  Thank you for your commitment....

I am a retired nurse - lived (and worked) through SARS.  To be honest, am happy to be retired...

Fran

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

@notamermaid In light of the travel warning being extended, is there anything being done by Deutche Bahn with regards to being more flexible about cancellations and vouchers. I have 2 reservations (Frankfurt Airport to Koblenz in May and Strasbourg to Frankfurt Airport in June), both booked on Super Saver fares. I can't find anything on the English website about any flexibility in this regard; is there anything on the German side? It isn't a lot of money, but if there is any way of getting vouchers that could be used for the replacement trip in September/October 2021 - not 2020 - it would be helpful.

Thanks for all the help you provide to all of us.

This is going to be tricky. What Deutsche Bahn calls it is "Kulanzregelung", meaning roughly a good-will gesture. I think it does not apply to your ticket. But you could write to them with your problem. This is the contact form for German customers. Perhaps give it a try: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/home/info/sonderkommunikation-kulanz.shtml

Good luck. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

34 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

This is going to be tricky. What Deutsche Bahn calls it is "Kulanzregelung", meaning roughly a good-will gesture. I think it does not apply to your ticket. But you could write to them with your problem. This is the contact form for German customers. Perhaps give it a try: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/home/info/sonderkommunikation-kulanz.shtml

Good luck. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Having translated the German, they seem to only offer rebooking until October 2020 (not the 2021 that I need) but I will try. Thanks.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I have 2 reservations (Frankfurt Airport to Koblenz in May and Strasbourg to Frankfurt Airport in June), both booked on Super Saver fares

The webpage you need is here: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/home/help/corona.shtml?dbkanal_007=L14_S02_D002_KIN0063_INT-_CORONA-Teaser_LZ01

In short, tickets bought before March 13th good for travel until May 3rd may be exchanges or returned. May 3rd is the date, until all touristical travel in Germany is banned (for the time being, the political decision to extend that has to bet met the forthcoming dates), so this date might be changed by Feutsche Bahn, too. If the ticket was bought on or after March 14th, standard cancellations apply (for Super Saver next to nothing, afair).

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

The webpage you need is here: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/home/help/corona.shtml?dbkanal_007=L14_S02_D002_KIN0063_INT-_CORONA-Teaser_LZ01

In short, tickets bought before March 13th good for travel until May 3rd may be exchanges or returned. May 3rd is the date, until all touristical travel in Germany is banned (for the time being, the political decision to extend that has to bet met the forthcoming dates), so this date might be changed by Feutsche Bahn, too. If the ticket was bought on or after March 14th, standard cancellations apply (for Super Saver next to nothing, afair).

As the German government has just extended the no travel order til June 14th the Deutsche Bahn may adjust too.

The current good will gesture is valid for travels til May 4th. It´s valid for Super Saver tickets too. But you only get a voucher.

My DD had a couple of unused tickets and got either money back or a voucher. She was supposed to go to Berlin for the travel trade show which was cancelled and got the money back. And she had several tickets to go back to college and got vouchers for those. Most of them were Super Saver fares.

steamboats

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Having translated the German, they seem to only offer rebooking until October 2020 (not the 2021 that I need) but I will try. Thanks.

That is only half of the story. Your ticket, if bought before March 13th and valid until May 4th (sorry, had as misspelling in my earlier post), is now an open date ticket to be used until Oct 31st. You dont have to do anything, if you want to use the ticket until then. If you cannot use your ticket until that date, you can cancel it and receive a voucher, as steamboats has written. The voucher is valid three years.

For those of you who live in the Great White North, aka Canada:

We have a Canadian Rockies tour (not on a river, unfortunately)  scheduled for early Sept.  TA just contacted us with info shifting its departure by 2 days.  Final payment is due in early July.

I don't have much confidence this trip will happen.  Canadians, do you foresee things being open in early September?  I imagine somes places here in the US may be in their second surge around that time.  Schools and colleges are preparing for more remote learning in the fall.

That is only half of the story. Your ticket, if bought before March 13th and valid until May 4th (sorry, had as misspelling in my earlier post), is now an open date ticket to be used until Oct 31st. You dont have to do anything, if you want to use the ticket until then. If you cannot use your ticket until that date, you can cancel it and receive a voucher, as steamboats has written. The voucher is valid three years.

OK. Thank you so much.

Now I need to wait until DB extends the date to June 14, since the first ticket is May 22 and the second June 3. They were booked well before March 13 (in January and February respectively). A 3 year voucher will work fine for trips in Sep and October 2021.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

OK. Thank you so much.

Now I need to wait until DB extends the date to June 14, since the first ticket is May 22 and the second June 3. They were booked well before March 13 (in January and February respectively). A 3 year voucher will work fine for trips in Sep and October 2021.

So good of the two to find the info for you. A long wait for you for a trip that sounds really interesting. But Autumn is a lovely time on the Moselle, I am sure it will be great.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

So good of the two to find the info for you. A long wait for you for a trip that sounds really interesting. But Autumn is a lovely time on the Moselle, I am sure it will be great.

notamermaid

We could have booked for earlier in 2021, but we preferred the fall. (When we booked initially, all the Sept 2020 trips we were looking at were full, so we booked for May.) Also, I have an Africa trip booked for February 2021, and will be retiring July 2021, so this made more sense.

10 hours ago, gnome12 said:

We could have booked for earlier in 2021, but we preferred the fall. (When we booked initially, all the Sept 2020 trips we were looking at were full, so we booked for May.) Also, I have an Africa trip booked for February 2021, and will be retiring July 2021, so this made more sense.

September along the Moselle will be gorgeous. We drove a fair distance along the river one September, in my new Audi, after spending a day in Trier. Great memories of charming small towns and scenery! Enjoy retirement and your trips.