PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

2 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

So sad! 😞Hubby is 11 years older than I am does not use a computer ever in his life! I have been in the hospital lately three different times  told him to call our son the State Trooper never give out info period! These scammers are slick! I have fun playing with them lol 🙂 Campus Police Officer before I retired!

Went to our annual Block Breakfast this morning. A few days ago a neighbor from across the street showed up at our door and handed me an "assignment sheet". I was assigned to bring a pound of bacon. (I actually brought 1.5 pounds as that was half of a Costco 2-pack. Another person with the same assignment showed up with the same thing.) We meet in the driveway two houses over from mine and there are tables and chairs setup for eating as well as a serving table. We have eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, fruit, juice, milk, and coffee.

We live on a cul-de-sac so there are only 13 houses. The addresses actually go from 2 - 15 with a notable lack of a #13.  We've been here since 1989 so it will be 32 years this October. Wow. There's a very large maple tree in the backyard that was quite small when we moved in. It would have fit inside the house. A few of the families have been here much longer but most are much more recent than us. It's a diverse group encompassing folks from several different theological viewpoints but nobody cares about that. They are all just good folks. People don't do this sort of thing much anymore. One year we not only had a block breakfast but had an Ice Cream Social as well. It's great to have such good neighbors.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

I am of the firm belief that 1.5 pounds of bacon is better than 1, and that 3 pounds of bacon is better than 2. 

Kudos to you, @Thrak, the other bacon neighbor, and the block. 

Bacon... My favorite fruit. 😁

Love the thick sliced bacon from Costco. I took a fair amount of it with us camping. Hash browns and bacon for breakfast. Even better, I sauteed onions and peppers and then cooked the hash browns with them. My wife absolutely loved them. No mushrooms but I only have so much refrigerated space. Gotta have room for the raspberries for the raspberry pancakes. Raspberry pancakes kick major butt over blueberry pancakes. The raspberries flavor the entire pancake and the raspberries don't stick to the griddle.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Love the thick sliced bacon from Costco.

We've gone through a fair amount of it on this RV trip. We have a few cooked slices left, as well as a 1.5lb package.

Hubby likes cooking it on his Blackstone outside. It does tend to attract the neighbors. 

5 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

We've gone through a fair amount of it on this RV trip. We have a few cooked slices left, as well as a 1.5lb package.

Hubby likes cooking it on his Blackstone outside. It does tend to attract the neighbors. 

Used to belong to a very active Geocaching group and we would occasionally have outdoor breakfasts. I once showed up with a pound of (pre-cooked) bacon. I went to check in and then found the bacon was pretty much gone. D'Oh! After that I never showed up with less than 3 lbs of bacon. At one meeting we were walking up and I heard someone yell out, " The Bacon - I mean Thrak - is here!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've always wanted to see Willie Nelson live. Just booked tickets for October 24. Most people we've seen at this venue we just paid for lawn seats. This time I booked seats. Not the most expensive seats but should be pretty good. Given his age I never thought I'd have a chance to see him. He's 88 years old so hopefully his health holds out. A number of years back he played in my home town in a fairly small venue (at the University) but we were booked on a cruise. D'Oh!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I've always wanted to see Willie Nelson live. Just booked tickets for October 24. Most people we've seen at this venue we just paid for lawn seats. This time I booked seats. Not the most expensive seats but should be pretty good. Given his age I never thought I'd have a chance to see him. He's 88 years old so hopefully his health holds out. A number of years back he played in my home town in a fairly small venue (at the University) but we were booked on a cruise. D'Oh!

Do what you can during life time enjoy 🙂 Alot of things I never did alot 
I did never thought I would do thanks to cruising! 🙂 Some crazy things lol Like the time we were in Mexico and I had trouble getting back on my jet ski  from the water this kid from Austraiia was a bit tipsy walked over the jet skis had me out the water in a minute. The guide was fresh my hubby told him not to touch me...lol ah the memories! Hubby is Hispanic! We found the Kid from Australia on the ship bought him many a drink! Hey he  was on Holiday and saved me from getting felt up again! My hubby was a ways away when I was in the water! I was yelling for help! from my husband! Awesome young man one hand and up I went! Still don't regret anything I did on my cruises!

Edited by Reader0108598

On 6/12/2021 at 6:20 PM, Thrak said:

Went to our annual Block Breakfast this morning. A few days ago a neighbor from across the street showed up at our door and handed me an "assignment sheet". I was assigned to bring a pound of bacon. (I actually brought 1.5 pounds as that was half of a Costco 2-pack. Another person with the same assignment showed up with the same thing.) We meet in the driveway two houses over from mine and there are tables and chairs setup for eating as well as a serving table. We have eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, fruit, juice, milk, and coffee.

We live on a cul-de-sac so there are only 13 houses. The addresses actually go from 2 - 15 with a notable lack of a #13.  We've been here since 1989 so it will be 32 years this October. Wow. There's a very large maple tree in the backyard that was quite small when we moved in. It would have fit inside the house. A few of the families have been here much longer but most are much more recent than us. It's a diverse group encompassing folks from several different theological viewpoints but nobody cares about that. They are all just good folks. People don't do this sort of thing much anymore. One year we not only had a block breakfast but had an Ice Cream Social as well. It's great to have such good neighbors.

Weve done cul de sac July 4th fireworks most of the years we've been here (all of six now). We have a diverse neighborhood and only have one neighbor that generally doesn't participate. The house next to ours is a rental (on the 4th family in five years) and they don't participate either. We have good neighbors and know most of them in the cul de sac by name and definitely by face.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

we saw him several years ago -- it was a fun, good time.

enjoy!

Mary

38 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

Weve done cul de sac July 4th fireworks most of the years we've been here (all of six now). We have a diverse neighborhood and only have one neighbor that generally doesn't participate. The house next to ours is a rental (on the 4th family in five years) and they don't participate either. We have good neighbors and know most of them in the cul de sac by name and definitely by face.

Would love to do that but all fireworks are banned here. Even sparklers are illegal. Of course last year on New Year's Eve there were all kinds of things going off all over the place. Mortars were abundant. I have no idea how folks got away with it unless it was just so prevalent that the police were overwhelmed. Nothing on our street but a couple of streets away stuff was going up that we could sometimes see and we could certainly hear a lot. It was definitely well out of the ordinary.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 5:45 PM, Thrak said:

Love the thick sliced bacon from Costco. I took a fair amount of it with us camping. Hash browns and bacon for breakfast. Even better, I sauteed onions and peppers and then cooked the hash browns with them. My wife absolutely loved them. No mushrooms but I only have so much refrigerated space. Gotta have room for the raspberries for the raspberry pancakes. Raspberry pancakes kick major butt over blueberry pancakes. The raspberries flavor the entire pancake and the raspberries don't stick to the griddle.

DUH! Raspberries are the fruit of the Gods!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Love it have fun!

The weather's supposed to be heating up again. We've had unseasonably cool weather for the past week. The forecast in the paper today shows:

Today: 87

Tuesday: 89

Wednesday: 102

Thursday: 109

Friday: 111

Makes me glad the old AC unit is still plugging along. It surprises me that a unit close to 25 years old still works pretty well and has never had a major issue. We figure it will conk out on us one of these days. I'm guessing it will be around $10k to replace the thing. (Heat and AC in a single unit.) Ah, well. We'll deal with that when it happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

The weather's supposed to be heating up again. We've had unseasonably cool weather for the past week. The forecast in the paper today shows:

Makes me glad the old AC unit is still plugging along. It surprises me that a unit close to 25 years old still works pretty well and has never had a major issue. We figure it will conk out on us one of these days. I'm guessing it will be around $10k to replace the thing. (Heat and AC in a single unit.) Ah, well. We'll deal with that when it happens.

8K for Central air, new gas furnace ,hot water heater. Making sure the vents are ok ! I have no clue what this stuff costs but one of the guys fixed my toilet lol  He just threw that in lol since replaced both comfort height! I thought it was nice of him was not his job! He had asked if he could use my bathroom I said of course he saw a problem  asked if he could fix it ummm hell yeah lol!

Edited by Reader0108598

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Thrak,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I predict that your A/C is going to conk out on Friday when it is 111 degrees.  I suggest you go buy a couple window units now to use when your central fails and your A/C guy is swamped  with other jobs for the next few weeks.

Been there and done that before!  Believe me, this is how life works.  How much more life can you squeeze out of a 25 year old unit?  You're going to save a lot of money on a more efficient unit.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Thrak,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I predict that your A/C is going to conk out on Friday when it is 111 degrees.  I suggest you go buy a couple window units now to use when your central fails and your A/C guy is swamped  with other jobs for the next few weeks.

Been there and done that before!  Believe me, this is how life works.  How much more life can you squeeze out of a 25 year old unit?  You're going to save a lot of money on a more efficient unit.

If that is the case we will pack up the teardrop and head for the hills where it's a bit cooler while we wait. Heck, I haven't even fixed the dang sprinklers yet!  I dug them mostly out but when I get down to do the work my back laughs at me. At least they are mostly exposed. Think I'll just call someone to finish the job. If I need emergency AC repair I think my daughter will task her husband with getting us running until we can get a new unit installed. HVAC is what he does. Of course he is swamped with OT at the moment but I doubt that would keep our daughter from volunteering him anyway. (That's why I haven't asked for assistance with the sprinklers. I know she'd volunteer him and he'd do it but it really doesn't seem fair to the guy.)

• Like 1

Wow! climate control stuff must be much cheaper in other areas. We replaced our 14 year-old very low-end contractor grade AC and furnace (AC compressor outside and furnace in garage) along with new ducting, vents, and wazoo thermostat in November, thinking that we were pushing our luck with low quality units that old, and not wanting the AC to die when it was hot. The total cost was almost $19k, but we got Costco rebate cards for 15% of that, plus 2% back as "Executive Members," and another 2% back for using the Costco Visa.The actual cost was about $13,680. The units are super efficient, extremely quiet, and controllable via our cell phones. It's nice to be out for some time in the RV,  lower the thermostat an hour before getting home, and walking into a comfortable house. 

Both AC and furnace are extremely quiet and super efficient. We do have solar, and have negative electric bills every month. SoCal Edison will send us a check in October because we produce more electricity than we use and push power back to the grid. We used to get checks every fall, but as the AC got older and older, we started pushing less back to the grid, and we actually had a small bill last year. I anticipate getting a check this year, with the new, efficient units, and having cleaned the solar panels.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 12:53 PM, voljeep said:

welcome to CC, 'new'  007 colo cruiser - new posters with fresh ideas are always a welcome change

lots of excellent posters and topics on this Princess forum ... hope to see some new "live from" threads again in the coming months as you can really get the feel of the ship in real-time

Thanks for the welcome voljeep.

No cruising for us until 2022.

Did get both doses of Pfizer though and will look forward

to catching up on the Princess Cruise board.

5 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

Thanks for the welcome voljeep.

No cruising for us until 2022.

Did get both doses of Pfizer though and will look forward

to catching up on the Princess Cruise board.

I know you were not talking to me but I just got both doses of pfizer all I had was a sore arm I am on the south side of 60 lol Last dose less than two weeks ago because I am having health issues  hard to get out! No issue with the shots!

Edited by Reader0108598

6 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Wow! climate control stuff must be much cheaper in other areas. We replaced our 14 year-old very low-end contractor grade AC and furnace (AC compressor outside and furnace in garage) along with new ducting, vents, and wazoo thermostat in November, thinking that we were pushing our luck with low quality units that old, and not wanting the AC to die when it was hot. The total cost was almost $19k, but we got Costco rebate cards for 15% of that, plus 2% back as "Executive Members," and another 2% back for using the Costco Visa.The actual cost was about $13,680. The units are super efficient, extremely quiet, and controllable via our cell phones. It's nice to be out for some time in the RV,  lower the thermostat an hour before getting home, and walking into a comfortable house. 

Both AC and furnace are extremely quiet and super efficient. We do have solar, and have negative electric bills every month. SoCal Edison will send us a check in October because we produce more electricity than we use and push power back to the grid. We used to get checks every fall, but as the AC got older and older, we started pushing less back to the grid, and we actually had a small bill last year. I anticipate getting a check this year, with the new, efficient units, and having cleaned the solar panels.

We have essentially the same without the solar.  We have a top of the line brand heat pump along with electronic air filter.  Costs are going to be dependent on your geographical location, cost of living, taxes, labor costs, etc.  States like CA and NY are usually high dollar states for these costs.