Jump to content

PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!


Host CJSKIDS
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

We missed our 40 the wedding anniversary your 41st and 42nd! Was I bummed of courser but at the end of the day my Husband is still here 🙂

 

That's the important thing!

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a great time at my niece's "half hundred" birthday party. (I don't think she is going to feel all that great tomorrow...) Had a few people stop and do a double take. Someone said how "old" my niece is at age 50 and I said something like, "That's not so old. My wife and I have been married for 49 years." The entire group of people around us suddenly went totally silent and stared at us. Then one person commented on how "unusual" that was and then then entire group around us chimed in. It was slightly embarrassing but also pretty gratifying. They were just totally boggled that someone had been married that long. Compared to many folks here on CC 49 years is pretty much nothing. I've seen much higher anniversaries posted. However, it felt good to show the (relatively) younger people that staying married isn't an oddity. (Sooooo many young divorces these days.)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Had a great time at my niece's "half hundred" birthday party. (I don't think she is going to feel all that great tomorrow...) Had a few people stop and do a double take. Someone said how "old" my niece is at age 50 and I said something like, "That's not so old. My wife and I have been married for 49 years." The entire group of people around us suddenly went totally silent and stared at us. Then one person commented on how "unusual" that was and then then entire group around us chimed in. It was slightly embarrassing but also pretty gratifying. They were just totally boggled that someone had been married that long. Compared to many folks here on CC 49 years is pretty much nothing. I've seen much higher anniversaries posted. However, it felt good to show the (relatively) younger people that staying married isn't an oddity. (Sooooo many young divorces these days.)

Agree we have 42  years you stay it gets better! We all go through bad times but then the good times come back 🙂We don't have alot but we have each other!

Edited by Reader0108598
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My parents have been married 59 years, my inlaws made it to 63, and my sister and BIL are at 35. I'm only up to 10.

 

You're right. Like many of today's products made for obsolescense, (how do you spell that??), marriages are also disposable now. People don't want to put in the work to make relationships last.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is an unfortunate thing  that a lot of celebration have been missed...

 

but what can one do......

 

Have booked with finger crossed,   a celebration in Nov this year

for 25 year together....   it is only thing it is in a different state an overnight ferry away ( a 1 night cruise..lol )  but down here the state borders are being slammed shut at even a small outbreak.... 

and even though we will be fully vaccinated.. it will not make any difference....

 

So we will see......   Don 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

My parents have been married 59 years, my inlaws made it to 63, and my sister and BIL are at 35. I'm only up to 10.

 

You're right. Like many of today's products made for obsolescense, (how do you spell that??), marriages are also disposable now. People don't want to put in the work to make relationships last.

Ten years is nothing to sneeze at congrats!

You have not killed each other so then there is that ! Keep laughing 🙂

 

Edited by Reader0108598
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Ten years is nothing to sneeze at congrats!

You have not killed each other so then there is that ! Keep laughing 🙂

 

We just drove NC-MO-NC and didn't kill each other, though I came close a couple of times.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our daughter-in-law has been posting pics of the smoke and the flames in the sky. The fires are still 10 miles or so from their house but it's not good. Now all of the water has gone dry. Their well is dry. They are on the original home site of an historic area (Burnt Ranch) so they have riparian rights to the creek. Nope. The creek has gone dry.

 

There is a lot of "agribusiness" in the area and a lot of growers upstream. They are taking all of the water. Illegally of course. Last week she saw one pull up to a fire hydrant with a big water truck and just start sucking water out of it. Soooo... Our son, his wife, our granddaughter have no water thanks to the "growers" in the area. It really peeves me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We relative newlyweds are celebrating our 30th anniversary today.

It's also the first anniversary of picking up our new motor home. We have spent more nights in it than out of it in the last year, and I think that will be the case for the next, as well. We are in it now, and happy to be so.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

We relative newlyweds are celebrating our 30th anniversary today.

It's also the first anniversary of picking up our new motor home. We have spent more nights in it than out of it in the last year, and I think that will be the case for the next, as well. We are in it now, and happy to be so.

Congrats and I love that your Relatively  newlyweds 🙂

 

 

 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

Our daughter-in-law has been posting pics of the smoke and the flames in the sky. The fires are still 10 miles or so from their house but it's not good. Now all of the water has gone dry. Their well is dry. They are on the original home site of an historic area (Burnt Ranch) so they have riparian rights to the creek. Nope. The creek has gone dry.

 

There is a lot of "agribusiness" in the area and a lot of growers upstream. They are taking all of the water. Illegally of course. Last week she saw one pull up to a fire hydrant with a big water truck and just start sucking water out of it. Soooo... Our son, his wife, our granddaughter have no water thanks to the "growers" in the area. It really peeves me.

 

I'd be peeved too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 6:15 PM, PurpleHays said:

My parents have been married 59 years, my inlaws made it to 63, and my sister and BIL are at 35. I'm only up to 10.

 

You're right. Like many of today's products made for obsolescense, (how do you spell that??), marriages are also disposable now. People don't want to put in the work to make relationships last.

Maybe marriages are more disposable, because women are more empowered than in the past. When I was young the men were breadwinners, the women were housewives. If the marriage wasn't working what was the spouse to do? How many wives have been told they can't leave, because they wouldn't be able to support themselves? How many wives stay to get the kids through school? It's great to have long marriages that are based on love and respect. But, a lot of long marriages are due to something else that is not so commendable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, billco said:

Maybe marriages are more disposable, because women are more empowered than in the past. When I was young the men were breadwinners, the women were housewives. If the marriage wasn't working what was the spouse to do? How many wives have been told they can't leave, because they wouldn't be able to support themselves? How many wives stay to get the kids through school? It's great to have long marriages that are based on love and respect. But, a lot of long marriages are due to something else that is not so commendable.

My former inlaws have been married for almost 35 turbulent years.  Both have the capability and means to leave, but seem to prefer to enable each other. I partially agree with you, but older generations were taught to work through problems and younger generations are not.  My younger daughter just broke up with her BF of four years because she saw them headed down the same path of misery that her grandparents were on and decided she didn't want that.

 

I left my first husband because he was becoming violent. I didn't have means, but I had supportive parents. They took on my toddler while I went to USAF basic training and we both survived. She remembers none of the violence because I was able to remove us from the situation and don't regret anything I had to do to survive--including years of ramen noodles when she got two squares a day at daycare.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm feeling positively biblical. My wife has been using a cane because her knee surgery hasn't gone all that well and her other knee is failing rapidly. I think she will need dual knee replacements. Poop. However, she left her cane by the back door and I went to get it for her. I used it on the way back through the house because my back has been so bad today that I can hardly manage. (It took me three tries this morning to be able to stand up to get out of bed. I am not a fan of pain. Anyway... I have found that using her Cane makes me Able. (Yes, it's a terrible pun and the spelling is wrong but...) One must find humor where one can.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Thrak, I'm not sure whether to roll my eyes or give you a high five for that one. Maybe both.

 

On another note, have you heard anything from Princess re your Sapphire cruises next February? Celebrity finally canceled our Aus/NZ/SoPac cruises in late July. Our circumnavigate Australia cruise on Princess is still on the books. but finally became unavailable for purchase (at least from here) in the last couple of days. An Australian on our Roll Call posted that Princess had removed the Papua New Guinea stop, and replaced it with another Australia stop. Conjecture is that Princess did this in anticipation of making it an Australian passengers only cruise. I'm definitely ready for PCL to cancel, so I can plan what to do with the FCCs. The cruises on the Sapphire are still available for purchase from here. I hope you will be able to make your revised plans soon. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

.

On another note, have you heard anything from Princess re your Sapphire cruises next February? Celebrity finally canceled our Aus/NZ/SoPac cruises in late July. Our circumnavigate Australia cruise on Princess is still on the books. but finally became unavailable for purchase (at least from here) in the last couple of days. An Australian on our Roll Call posted that Princess had removed the Papua New Guinea stop, and replaced it with another Australia stop. Conjecture is that Princess did this in anticipation of making it an Australian passengers only cruise. I'm definitely ready for PCL to cancel, so I can plan what to do with the FCCs. The cruises on the Sapphire are still available for purchase from here. I hope you will be able to make your revised plans soon. 

 

 

My sister and I are booked on the Sapphire April 2 cruise from Sydney to San Francisco.  Most on our roll call feel that it will be canceled and, like you, we are just waiting for the word from Princess. This will be the third time we have tried to do this cruise, but I guess COVID doesn't care if we don't get our bucket list item checked off!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our son in Burnt Ranch is under evacuation warning and has both vehicles packed full of stuff. His wife and daughter are leaving for Eureka but he can't leave because of work. He's CHP and there's no way he can go. Their neighbors have been cutting trees and bulldozing defense lines as they watch the flames of the nearby Monument Fire.

 

Crap. My wife just showed me shots from Greenville, CA.  Looks like the Dixie Fire is taking it. I am so sick of these fires.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These fires are so scary and horrific.  My sister in Cobb, CA had her home burned to the ground several years ago.  She got out just in time with her cat, her phone and her car only.  Prayers for safety to all who are near these terrible fires.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

Our son in Burnt Ranch is under evacuation warning and has both vehicles packed full of stuff. His wife and daughter are leaving for Eureka but he can't leave because of work. He's CHP and there's no way he can go. Their neighbors have been cutting trees and bulldozing defense lines as they watch the flames of the nearby Monument Fire.

 

Crap. My wife just showed me shots from Greenville, CA.  Looks like the Dixie Fire is taking it. I am so sick of these fires.

Wishing your son and family, safety from the fires.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

Our son in Burnt Ranch is under evacuation warning and has both vehicles packed full of stuff. His wife and daughter are leaving for Eureka but he can't leave because of work. He's CHP and there's no way he can go. Their neighbors have been cutting trees and bulldozing defense lines as they watch the flames of the nearby Monument Fire.

 

Crap. My wife just showed me shots from Greenville, CA.  Looks like the Dixie Fire is taking it. I am so sick of these fires.

 

Really puts some things into perspective.  We take too much for granted and argue about "the small stuff".  I hope your son and his family will be safe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Received an email from my brother this morning stating that they were going to start loading essentials into the car, as the fire was getting closer.  They are in their late 70's, early 80's.  I am  happy they are planning ahead.  They have had to do this too many times in the past few years. 😪

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 11:51 PM, Thrak said:

I'm feeling positively biblical. My wife has been using a cane because her knee surgery hasn't gone all that well and her other knee is failing rapidly. I think she will need dual knee replacements. Poop. However, she left her cane by the back door and I went to get it for her. I used it on the way back through the house because my back has been so bad today that I can hardly manage. (It took me three tries this morning to be able to stand up to get out of bed. I am not a fan of pain. Anyway... I have found that using her Cane makes me Able. (Yes, it's a terrible pun and the spelling is wrong but...) One must find humor where one can.

Agree using a rollator been in the Hospital three times this year afraid I became dependent on it! 😞 Hope your wife and you get better soon! Please tell her if she ever needs more get a Rollator not a walker Amazon has them fairly cheap! Mine has storage underneath and a seat! That way if I go somewhere and need to sit I have it ! Working on getting stronger ! However my Rollator has been a life saver! Poor Hubby lol

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Reader0108598
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...