PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

21 hours ago, jangor said:

I just binge watched Boardwalk Empire (mixed reviews).  

I"ve never seen it, but I know my dear friend from jr. high and high school band played trumpet on the show. I remember him posting pictures of himself in costume to social media during filming. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone!  Sitting here in Brisbane, Australia.  Basically we are shut down and will be for at least another 4 weeks.  We are allowed out for essential groceries, exercise (no more than 2 people together), work if absolutely necessary, medical appointments and looking after relatives.   Hubby is a nurse and there's been excellent preparations here - his major public hospital only has 7 cases total, with 1007 total for the whole state.  I am a teacher aide and go back to school after our Easter Break finishes tomorrow.  We will have children of essential workers attending class so that their parents can continue to work.  Very strange times indeed ... but I did manage to pay off my February 2021 cruise yesterday, using the FCC that I received from our cancelled Diamond cruise.   There is light at the end of the tunnel 🙂  Stay safe everyone!  

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 11:11 AM, Norcalcouple said:

I guess that a lot of people are having trouble with masks!

vangoghmask.jpg

After mixing up a  batch of Mai Tais from cool cruiser's rercipe. (a Canadian of course - we have relatives no slander intended) I decided to do a little Princess Cruising via what=t passes now for a meet and mingle.  LOVED Mr. Van Gogh's stylish ear bob.  Thanks for the laugh. Still am not quite sure are we masks up or masks off.  We in the Seattle area are actually doing well think we will start easing off the brake soon.  Wishing you all well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 12:01 PM, MamaFej said:

Sigh. Seeing the playground and basketball courts at the park wrapped in caution tape broke my heart this morning. I understand why it's necessary, but it's a terrible sight to see. 

We live across from the park. Our three year old looks out every day and says the playground is still sick...I can see the yellow bandages...breaks my heart.  She longs to go play and be with other kids...

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 10:26 AM, CPASam said:

Our neighborhood in Raleigh, NC had a Scavenger Hunt last Sunday afternoon.  It was a lot of fun with my neighbors participating.  We kept 6' distance from each other.  The grand prize for the winner was a 12 pack of Charmin Toilet paper.  The runners-up got boxes of kleenex.  I am working from home part-time in the living room with the organization I retired from a few years ago.  DH, also retired, was working part-time as well, but his organization paused his contract when we were required to stay home.  We both miss cruises.  Designated husband went to Alaska last June/July and Panama Canal on his birthday in Dec.  I stayed home and worked and looking after mama.  I also watch the porteverglades web cam from time to time.  This morning, I can hear the birds chirping from the Ft. Lauderdale Port.

(waves) Hey! Saying hello from Durham!

2 hours ago, Norcalcouple said:

Here's a sign of the times:

funniepawnstars.jpg.bf7868e9aa2e3fa17296a06aefb6c6d6.jpg

Not for us. We didn't panic buy TP in the beginning and have seen exactly zero TP in the stores the few times we have been since then. I don't get it but there is still no freaking TP to be had. Also no hand sanitizer but there is a distillery in the area that's putting out 72 proof (144%) ethyl alcohol as a sanitizer. It's not drinking quality and also has some scent added but works well as a sanitizer.

We have some TP available but quantity is limited and customers can buy a limited amount.  Many items like milk, eggs, TP etc have limits as to how much you can buy.  Our county of ~2 million is approaching 1000 confirmed cases and 37 dead including 19 at one nursing home.  Certainly not good but not terrible either.  Lowes/Home Depot are open as are gas stations, grocery stores, plant nursery, Target, Costco and Walmart.  Many restaurants have gone to online ordering and either curb pickup or delivery so we can "go out" to a meal and a reprieve from our cooking.  Luckily we live in a large house on an acre so we are able to go outside at will and soon will be able to go swimming in our pool.  We are looking at 80's right now so it is warm.  As empty nesters  there is just the two of us.  Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We are looking at 80's right now so it is warm.  As empty nesters  there is just the two of us.  Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

The weather has been warming here as well. Sadly, we have had 9 point something inches of rain this season and "should" be at 24 inches plus. Drought again. GAH!!! We are also "empty nesters" but our youngest child (daughter) and her husband and 19 month old daughter (have to be careful - I said 18 months old the other day and was severely corrected) have moved in with us. His job vanished with the pandemic. They moved from Lompoc - where is it expensive to live - to Butte county - where is isn't quite as expensive to live - to change their lives and find a place to live and a place to work. Meanwhile, they are staying with us. We are fairly OLD and it's a big change for us. Of course, it's also a big change for them. We are all working very hard at being good to each other. (I'm really glad I'm not trying to learn to live with ME. That would be very bad...)

Enjoy your empty nest and keep safe. We need all of our cruisers to stay safe and, hopefully, return to cruising. We know that pretty much everybody who posts here loves cruising. It's kind of like an addiction. Weird, but true.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

A family of raccoons has decided to shelter in place in our attic (but at least they have their own masks).   We’re hoping the local wild animal pest control is considered an essential service, as they are awakening us in the early hours with their dance-parties.  🦝

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

As we are all one big community, we collectively thought it would be a great idea to start a thread on the cruise line forums so our members can have a place to socialize during these times of social distancing or "stay in Place' that we are all doing.  

Cruise Critic is indeed a community and now is the time that we need to be able to socialize and show support for one another.

Please let's show respect and kindness to each other and please let's keep political comments off of this no matter where we live in this world. Everyone is frustrated and stressed but I know personally that it would be wonderful to know how everyone is doing on these boards that I have talked to, met or simply read your post over these 17 years that I have been a member.

Warm regards to every member on this board!

Well said,  we were on the last cruise on the Sky which landed in Fll 03/14 & had a great time, no one was sick & when they informed guests scheduled to stay on they were not happy. We are scheduled to cruise in Dec. on the Enchantment with at least 4 or possibly more cruisers. We have to think positive &  keep away at least 6 ft from everyone maybe we ca beat it.   

Things are going well here in South Jersey. We are coping well with our now one month in captivity. I am hoping it warms up and the rain subsides enough so I can mow the lawn and we can start planting the garden. Today is my wife Marj's birthday. She looks younger each year while I look in the mirror and wonder who the old goat staring back at me is.

On the Princess front, we received our credit (option 1) for our  cancelled 3/16 cruise on the Crown, so it took a little over a month. We will be waiting to book a cruise until the Covid 19 situation becomes clearer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've tried several stores and can't find flour. Our daughter decided to join in the sour dough bread phase that seems to be going around so she snagged a batch of starter from a friend who had made a bunch but now can't find any flour with which to actually make the bread. D'Oh! I'll go out and try a couple more stores in a bit - I have to drop off a return to Amazon at the UPS place anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky. Oddly enough though when my wife was checking at Trader Joe's this morning they had TP for sale. It's being rationed to one package per person but it was quite a surprise to see it there. Naturally, she picked up wine while there.

• Like 1

Like the rest of you, we're staying home and making the best of it, relying on Instacart for grocery delivery and Amazon for everything else.  Were it not for the pandemic, today is the day we would be boarding the Coral Princess for a 19 day Panama Canal partial transit. It was to be round trip from Los Angeles, and we were looking forward to not having to fly back from Florida.  Since we're in a high risk group, we won't be booking any cruises until there is a vaccine available for that nasty virus.

Bob and Joyce

• Like 2

We are in Rocky Mount, NC. (I loved the scavenger hunt idea in Raleigh!  Sounded wonderful!)  We are in our 1st month of quarantine after having just been on the Pacific Princess World Cruise.  We only made it 1/2 way, but we loved every minute of it.  The crew of the Pacific Princess could not have been more kind and helpful.  I cried the day we had to leave them and fly home from Perth.

A question for anyone who chose Option 2.....has anyone received word from  Princess as to when Option 2 might be fulfilled?  I know all the cruise lines are stressed right now, but I just wondered if anyone had received their Option 2?

We have several cruises planned in the coming months, and years.....and we cant wait!  It cannot come soon enough!!!  Thank you for your help.

10 minutes ago, Ceebee1 said:

A question for anyone who chose Option 2.....has anyone received word from  Princess as to when Option 2 might be fulfilled?  I know all the cruise lines are stressed right now, but I just wondered if anyone had received their Option 2?

maybe try reading the other 10 threads below discussing the refund and FCC status ?

and welcome to Cruise Critic !!

• Like 1

Just got back from a treasure hunt. Stores visited today: 

Trader Joe's (wife) - she found TP! (Most unexpected.)

Grocery Outlet: No flour but did find a package of dried split peas.

Raley's: No flour. No anything I was after.

Circle K: Desperation flour search continues.

Save Mart: SCORE!!! Flour big bags and little bags. Dried red beans! Beans haven't been available since this started and flour has been missing for several weeks.

We really need rain but being out driving around in the 76 degree sunshine was awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Who would have thought grocery shopping would be so stressful.  I wanted to make ham and bean soup with our leftover Easter ham so I went to publix to get canned beans they only allowed 2 cans so I had to go to dollar General to get more cans of beans.  Although since I'm laid off going to the grocery store is the highlight of my week.

• Like 2

Asheville, NC

Walmart, Publix and Ingle's (local grocery) have TP, cleaning supplies, eggs, canned foods, etc.  Some items are quantity limited to 1 or 2 packages.  Drive thru places are very busy.  French fries from McD's and Burger King are scorching HOT!  Many of the chain/franchise restaurants are doing a bit of business with take-out and delivery.  Almost all of the small, independent restaurants are completely closed.  Pizza places are doing a great business with curbside pick up.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is open for scenic drives, but trails and such are closed in many places.  Biltmore Estate tried to keep their gardens open, but they are completely closed down now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neighbor said he scored TP at Walgreens and all the way home he was humming "We Are The Champions'

Thrak - went out to the Buttes last week, picnic lunch at Fremont monument. Did not see anyone else.

I've just got to get one of those Japanese (no paper) toilets.  I was in Japan about a year ago and had a chance to use one.  Just think:  heated seat, auto wash (with prewarmed water) and dry, auto flush, etc.  It's no joke either.  Those things are very serious business.  I just have to find about $1000 for the toilet and installation.

Decisions, decisions.  Cruise or toilet???  Maybe the cruise ships will start installing them and save a fortune on TP and the labor to replace the rolls.  Now that would be a great perk to offer!  But then, they would probably charge extra for that as an optional amenity.  Perhaps a surcharge per use to pay for water usage.  I'm sure they could think of something to make money off the idea.

Edited by 1980dory
correct word placement