FLORIDA MEMBERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!!

Host CJSKIDS

6 hours ago, janetz said:

Daytona here 

We are still allowed on the beach and there are not many people. We are a little south from the heavy tourist areas 

So we walk and read, keeping a good distance from others and then stay home 

Lois, I remember you from many years ago and it’s good to see you posting 😊

Stay well fellow cruisers!

The spring breakers and irresponsible boaters ruined that for us.  Broward finally closed boat ramps and marinas to recreational boaters, and the beaches have been closed.  Sucks.  No parks, no beaches, no boating.

Yes I know

The Daytona city folks have been going back and forth about closing the beach

Parks are closed

They closed the ramps to the beach and have reduced parking in the lots.

It really does stink as it’s the only place to go were you can keep you distance, get some excercise and enjoy the beauty God has given us.

Edited by janetz

11 hours ago, janetz said:

Yes I know

The Daytona city folks have been going back and forth about closing the beach

Parks are closed

They closed the ramps to the beach and have reduced parking in the lots.

It really does stink as it’s the only place to go were you can keep you distance, get some excercise and enjoy the beauty God has given us.

For us, that was State Parks, too.  Shame those were closed.  Our favorite parks are quite empty and distancing is obviously no issue.  This was the day before they closed.  Not exactly crowded.

hammock.jpg

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

We are snowbirds from New Hampshire and have been at a condo on Hollywood Beach since the beginning of the year.  We have pretty much been in self quarantine by choice for the past two weeks.  We did make one final trip to the grocery store on March 15th and went out again on St. Patty’s Day tp pick up a prescription and get a take out corned beef and cabbage dinner.

The beach and condo pool have been closed for almost two weeks now.  We have read a great deal and have watched way too much television.  We try and take a walk daily and have enjoyed the warmth of our balcony for hours each day.  The weather  during the past two weeks has been awesome.

The car is packed and we are heading straight up I-95 to New Hampshire tomorrow morning.  We expect to be home by mid-week.   We have a good supply of disinfectant wipes to use each time we stop. I think that we shall be fine until we reach Delaware.  After that I am concerned with traveling  what will be a short distance through New Jersey and New York, but we do not intend to make any stops there.

Life as we know it has changed and it will be sometime before we all get back to normal.  We have a cruise booked for November.  Right now I am inclined to cancel, but we shall wait until mis summer to make a final decision.

I hope you make it home safely and with good health and without any distractions from anything.....lets hope you

can get to New Hampshire without any issues!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I hope you make it home safely and with good health and without any distractions from anything.....lets hope you

can get to New Hampshire without any issues!

Thanks.  We shall be staying at the Micro Hotel near the Jacksonville Airport on Sunday night.

21 hours ago, BNBR said:

Go for a walk!

Did about 4 1/2 miles to the beach and back yesterday.

20 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Know the feeling all too well!

Today we are taking the boat out.

FWC is asking boaters to stay 50 feet apart so we will do that.

13 hours ago, tip said:

We are snowbirds from New Hampshire and have been at a condo on Hollywood Beach since the beginning of the year.  We have pretty much been in self quarantine by choice for the past two weeks.  We did make one final trip to the grocery store on March 15th and went out again on St. Patty’s Day tp pick up a prescription and get a take out corned beef and cabbage dinner.

Yall are the opposite of most people.  We counted so many New York license plates yesterday that we could not believe it. 

People were completely hostile to them, yelling, "Go Home to New York!".

I think the coronavirus quarantine has made nice people nicer, and nasty people nastier.

49 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Did about 4 1/2 miles to the beach and back yesterday.

Today we are taking the boat out.

FWC is asking boaters to stay 50 feet apart so we will do that.

So jealous!!  I'll have to live vicariously through you!

Not a lot of boats out on Biscayne since they closed the marinas and boat ramps. It just adds to the the strangeness of seeing all these cruise ships docked and anchored off shore!

Martin County and St Lucie counties have each closed their trailer boat ramps, which severely restricts the ability to use the waterways. Boats kept in docking slips can be used. The restriction followed widely documented TV footage of keg parties on sandbars, boats lashed together, and other violations.

After huge uproar, the counties agreed that some boat launch ramps will be opened to commercial fishing boats only. Police will check ID, etc.

(Trailer boat ramps are sloped, paved access points which allow a boat trailer to be backed into the water and a boat floated from it.)

23 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

So jealous!!  I'll have to live vicariously through you!

Not a lot of boats out on Biscayne since they closed the marinas and boat ramps. It just adds to the the strangeness of seeing all these cruise ships docked and anchored off shore!

It was beautiful out!  We saw a ton of boats and passed a couple of Broward Sheriffs boats.  They just waved like every one else.

We did the Dania Cut loop past the port and airport, through Marina Mile, and downtown New River.

I don't think all of our boat ramps are closed.

Whiskey Creek is closed to boaters.

20 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Martin County and St Lucie counties have each closed their trailer boat ramps, which severely restricts the ability to use the waterways. Boats kept in docking slips can be used. The restriction followed widely documented TV footage of keg parties on sandbars, boats lashed together, and other violations.

After huge uproar, the counties agreed that some boat launch ramps will be opened to commercial fishing boats only. Police will check ID, etc.

(Trailer boat ramps are sloped, paved access points which allow a boat trailer to be backed into the water and a boat floated from it.)

I'm not sure if ours are all shut down.  We did see one that definitely was shut down.

There is a workaround to be able to use the ramps.  Not sure I should post it here, though.  BlueHerons, if you have any friends stuck who can't take their boat out, PM me if you want.

We have a cruise that goes to Italy in October.  Curious how that's all going to pan out.

Edited by BNBR

39 minutes ago, BNBR said:

We have a cruise that goes to Italy in October.  Curious how that's all going to pan out.

We have a repositioning cruise (Montreal to Miami) in October and I am wondering the same thing.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:34 PM, BNBR said:

There is a workaround to be able to use the ramps.  Not sure I should post it here, though.  BlueHerons, if you have any friends stuck who can't take their boat out, PM me if you want.

Thanks, will do.

I hope everyone's plans and future cruises work out.

I wonder how this Zaandam thing is going to work out.

I wonder about the ships too.  Our idiot Governor seems to have changed his tune a teeney bit today. There are quite

a few Florida passengers on board and now he is saying those folks would be welcomed.  It is not just about the

Floridians...it is humanitarian situation.  Why don't they use Homestead AFB and/ or Mcdill AFB if they need to

quarantine folks?....the military bases are the ones who helped the Princess ship.  I realize we don't want more

infection spreading but omg....sometimes I have to shake my head.  I know one of the guests (or their children)

wrote a letter to Tallahassee....not sure if that is what changed things or not but they need to do the right thing!

20 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Thanks, will do.

I hope everyone's plans and future cruises work out.

I wonder how this Zaandam thing is going to work out.

per port schedule, both ships to "dock" at 1:00 and 1:30 today ( 4/2 )

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Yes!  I saw they had come to an agreement. I hope all the passengers, no matter where they live or are from

get everything they need. Treatment/planes/quarantine, etc...…….wishing everyone well.  And, no glitches in

the disembarking process (or is that wishing for too much?)

45 minutes ago, voljeep said:

40 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Yes!  I saw they had come to an agreement. I hope all the passengers, no matter where they live or are from

get everything they need. Treatment/planes/quarantine, etc...…….wishing everyone well.  And, no glitches in

the disembarking process (or is that wishing for too much?)

The local news said the Broward Commission has put off the vote to allow them to dock because Carnival still has not agreed to terms was the last I've heard.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

The local news said the Broward Commission has put off the vote to allow them to dock because Carnival still has not agreed to terms was the last I've heard.

now 4:30 and 5:00

and not that easy to just "get it done"