It has only been about a week!

HAL4NOW

On the evening of March 13th, Holland America Cruise Line announced that the 14 ships in their fleet would stop sailing for the next 30 days.

That seems like a long time ago.

I have seen numerous posts on the HAL Cruise Critic forum questioning why HAL isn't working faster at making decisions for late April, May, June, and even July bookings.

I am amazed at how much has happened over the past eight days.

Most of the ships have completed their cruises and passengers have been able to go to their homes. 

Any individual booked on a cruise during the 30 day down time can go online and avoid the long wait time on hold on the phone. They can choose Option #1 (125% FCC plus $250 OBC) or Option #2 (100% refund). Here is a link to the form provided by HAL and put online in a pretty quick manner.

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/cp/

The response from Holland America Line is impressive. In this world where we all want immediate information, a week feels like a long time. 

I look forward to what will take place over the next week, and I am grateful to HAL for doing their best to keep all of us informed.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

Any individual booked on a cruise during the 30 day down time can go online and avoid the long wait time on hold on the phone. They can choose Option #1 (125% FCC plus $250 OBC) or Option #2 (100% refund). Here is a link to the form provided by HAL and put online in a pretty quick manner.

A footnote has been added to the Cancellation Form since the form was first put online. Here is the text of that footnote: 

This is a clarification regarding the Option 1 Future Cruise Credit ("FCC"). If a guest elects Option 1 and does not use his/her FCC and wants a refund thereafter of the original base cruise fare paid, between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021, the guest can request Holland America Line to exchange the FCC for a refund of their base cruise fare paid. Refund will be issued within approximately 60 days from request date. Requests accepted via email to guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. In no situation shall a guest be entitled to a refund greater than the base cruise fare paid. Guests selecting Option 1 and requesting a refund as set forth herein will not be entitled to any other compensation/credit. Guests selecting Option 2 shall not be entitled to any additional refund (other than the initial refund as set forth in Option 2) at any time. All FCC’s expire on December 31, 2021 and are subject to published terms, conditions, and restrictions. Offer and its terms are subject to change.

Privacy Collection Notice: The personal information you provide in this form is collected to administer your request for a future cruise credit or refund from Holland America Line. For information including how to access and correct your personal information please see our Privacy Statement

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

After tomorrow, only Maasdam and Zaandam, both in the Pacific, have pax left on board

We were on the Zaandam last April cruising north on the west coast of South America and then through the Panama Canal.

The sea days were wonderful and relaxing. One of my favorite memories of that trip was just walking around the promenade deck and watching the flying fish moving away from the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

As I understand you, this form is just for guests booked on the cruises cancelled during the 30 day period after March 13th?

1 minute ago, PSR said:

As I understand you, this form is just for guests booked on the cruises cancelled during the 30 day period after March 13th?

Yes, as far as I know.

It might be interesting for somebody booked outside that time frame to try using the form and see what happens. I am happy with option #1 for my May 3-10 Westerdam sailing that I know is already off of the HAL website. So, if the same terms apply to later sailings, I won't need to get on the phone and wait on hold.

The way I read the Cancellation Form is that if a person doesn't respond by selecting Option #1 or #2 prior to June 1, HAL will choose Option #1 for you. With the added footnote it looks possible to change that to Option #2 anytime between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021. That is pretty generous of HAL to allow another nineteen months to change your mind if circumstances change or if you cannot find an itinerary you like at a price you like.

13 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Yes, as far as I know.

It might be interesting for somebody booked outside that time frame to try using the form and see what happens. I am happy with option #1 for my May 3-10 Westerdam sailing that I know is already off of the HAL website. So, if the same terms apply to later sailings, I won't need to get on the phone and wait on hold.

The way I read the Cancellation Form is that if a person doesn't respond by selecting Option #1 or #2 prior to June 1, HAL will choose Option #1 for you. With the added footnote it looks possible to change that to Option #2 anytime between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021. That is pretty generous of HAL to allow another nineteen months to change your mind if circumstances change or if you cannot find an itinerary you like at a price you like.

Thanks for your information and suggestion; the form seems well thought out. The add-on details about changing your mind on your option seems generous, too. Only wished they had explained what cruises were covered, by date...but then it would be almost perfect!

Princess was smart - instituting a 60 day cancellation. As the situation in North America gets progressively worse thus week, I feel that by Friday the “others” will all extend the cancellation - #ReactiveVsProactive

I'm sure staff in Seattle must be very busy trying to sort out this mess, phones ringing off the hook all day long, very one wanting their questions answered right now. That they did get this out in such a short time I'm sure had them all working over time. I think they all deserve a pat on the back & a well done. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I suggest any passengers interested in cruising in the next few months do more research.  The information is all out there for those brave enough to read it. 

What exactly is your point? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ski ww said:

I'm sure staff in Seattle must be very busy trying to sort out this mess, phones ringing off the hook all day long, very one wanting their questions answered right now. That they did get this out in such a short time I'm sure had them all working over time. I think they all deserve a pat on the back & a well done. 

Having worked in a customer service driven work place for most of my working years I can't imagine what they are going through at this time.  I now work at a medical company scheduling appointments and even that has been stressful.  Almost every caller asks "are you still open?" or "should I keep my appointment?"  And the screening questions I have to ask are met with either irritation or understanding.  Most people are irritated.

They definitely deserve a well done and more.