Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

In Halifax, we had 96 cm in 24 hours back in 2004. It took three days before the road was opened up, a single lane at that. I shovelled to the end of the driveway, but no further. Here in Ottawa, we use a snow clearance company so we don't have major issues returning after two or three weeks of cruising.

NEIGHBOURS

img_1312.thumb.jpeg.94ccf789f08fba5b86bf9e2614d02b8b.jpeg

MY DRIVEWAY MEETS THE ROADimg_1332.thumb.jpeg.3c130a9651485ea459f52c5288054d99.jpeg

Oh my..  this I could not do...

We have friends upstate NY....close to border and other pals in Iowa....all getting clobbered this yr.   Long Island, NY  on  east coast has more than its usual share this year but a few lucky misses too. Son in law used our brand new snow blower today ( on mostly frozen  snow banks) in hopes we can get our luggage into the house Thurs..flying up from Fla.  More snow expected.. hope our flight makes it out

• Like 2

On 2/14/2021 at 12:46 PM, Fouremco said:

n Halifax, we had 96 cm in 24 hours back in 2004

Wow!  I have a few pics from our place somewhat similar, where I literally shoveled enough to plow not only the driveway but also a 2' wide path going right across the road which otherwise was a solid wall of snow much like in your pic. I think what you have there is deeper though. Are these recent pics or from an earlier event??

11 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow!  I have a few pics from our place somewhat similar, where I literally shoveled enough to plow not only the driveway but also a 2' wide path going right across the road which otherwise was a solid wall of snow much like in your pic. I think what you have there is deeper though. Are these recent pics or from an earlier event??

No, this record snowfall was in 2004. White Juan was the unofficial name given to this blizzard that affected most of Atlantic Canada five months after Hurricane Juan devastated Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Somewhere in the house I have a t-shirt saying "I Survived White Juan".

5 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

"White Juan"....awesome. As I'm getting older and everytime I have to deal with these large snow events I'm beginning to understand why my Dad always wanted to buy a place down in FL....😃  Never got around to it though. 

I actually enjoy winter and I'm out every day walking or snowshoeing on the nearby trails, but I do look forward to our yearly (till COVID) respite from the snow and cold, whether cruising or enjoying a resort for two or three weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

No, this record snowfall was in 2004. White Juan was the unofficial name given to this blizzard that affected most of Atlantic Canada five months after Hurricane Juan devastated Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Somewhere in the house I have a t-shirt saying "I Survived White Juan".

This is from the Massachusetts Blizzard of 78, funny you mention a t-shirt, I had one as well "I Survived The Blizzard Of 78", long gone now... 

24018804-standard.jpg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

This is from the Massachusetts Blizzard of 78, funny you mention a t-shirt, I had one as well "I Survived The Blizzard Of 78", long gone now... 

24018804-standard.jpg

Cute photo. I'm not sure where my t-shirt is, but it probably wouldn't fit anyway. You know how they shrink! :classic_laugh: 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

24018804-standard.jpg

Oh I definitely remember that storm.  I was attending college in Boston.  Cars were buried for months!☃️

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Oh I definitely remember that storm.  I was attending college in Boston.  Cars were buried for months!☃️

On my way home from school, I had met my sister at State St station in downtown Boston and the subway came to a grinding halt at Sullivan Square, and we walked 4 miles to get home.  Shut the entire state down for 10 days, was pretty amazing and fun

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

On my way home from school, I had met my sister at State St station in downtown Boston and the subway came to a grinding halt at Sullivan Square, and we walked 4 miles to get home.  Shut the entire state down for 10 days, was pretty amazing and fun

Reminds me of the story I told my kids being picked up by a school bus at the end of my driveway.  I had to walk 5 miles a day back & forth to school.  Uphill both ways.    But my parents told me they had to walk 10 miles each way.  Without shoes.😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Reminds me of the story I told my kids being picked up by a school bus at the end of my driveway.  I had to walk 5 miles a day back & forth to school.  Uphill both ways.    But my parents told me they had to walk 10 miles each way.  Without shoes.😀

I bet they didn’t have to do that into the teeth of a freezing winter gale though....

Dtr was born in '78..big snow that year,  enjoyed the photos.

Upcoming storm has up-ended  our flight plans for tom,

SwAir suggested we change  our flights for Thurs ( Fl via Balt to NY)... due to likely delays and cancellations.    We got the last 2 seats, same route  for  Sat afternoon, Did not want to  stress out over weather....why take chances? Not a great day to fly even if not  cancelled.

Neg consequence is that our pre travel Covid test won't count in NY  b/c there will be more than 72 hrs between Covid  test and arrival in NY.  So now we will have to quarantine for 10 days and may miss grands 1st b day  cake or risk a Cuomo fine. Bummed out.

We realize this could happen to cruisers too,..too many rules to satisfy and variables not in our control,

57 minutes ago, hcat said:

Dtr was born in '78..big snow that year,  enjoyed the photos.

Upcoming storm has up-ended  our flight plans for tom,

SwAir suggested we change  our flights for Thurs ( Fl via Balt to NY)... due to likely delays and cancellations.    We got the last 2 seats, same route  for  Sat afternoon, Did not want to  stress out over weather....why take chances? Not a great day to fly even if not  cancelled.

Neg consequence is that our pre travel Covid test won't count in NY  b/c there will be more than 72 hrs between Covid  test and arrival in NY.  So now we will have to quarantine for 10 days and may miss grands 1st b day  cake or risk a Cuomo fine. Bummed out.

We realize this could happen to cruisers too,..too many rules to satisfy and variables not in our control,

We celebrated Christmas with our kids and grandkids virtually, even though we all live here. Starting tomorrow, we have four family birthdays over the next 2 1/2 weeks, all to be celebrated virtually. If I was you, I'd stay put, avoid all the headaches, and Zoom. Your grandson won't remember that you missed celebrating his first birthday in person.

Edited by Fouremco

Zoom  is a def  possibility ( did that for holidays and b days so far)  but if we make the 10 day  limit of quarantine ,  we have a chance of getting over there , Baby won't remember but we will. We do have the  2 shots...and one neg test, one more to go.    We   miss everyone  and  have had enough of Florida for awhile . We plan to maintain a  very tight bubble up north. Hope airports are open by the time we fly!   

Travel these days is not a simple venture!

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

Zoom  is a def  possibility ( did that for holidays and b days so far)  but if we make the 10 day  limit of quarantine ,  we have a chance of getting over there , Baby won't remember but we will. We do have the  2 shots...and one neg test, one more to go.    We   miss everyone  and  have had enough of Florida for awhile . We plan to maintain a  very tight bubble up north. Hope airports are open by the time we fly!   

Travel these days is not a simple venture!

Well, I wish you safe travels and a wonderful time with your family.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

My state is doing well. No community infection for over 30 days. Vaccinations to start very soon.

I wish I could be in Australia now too!  In the warm summer sunshine.  Last visited in March 2018.  Took a cruise on Solstice from W.Aus (Perth) along the south coast and around NZ and ended in Sydney.  Great cruise!

Edited by TeeRick

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I wish I could be in Australia now too!  In the warm summer sunshine.  Last visited in March 2018.  Took a cruise on Solstice from W.Aus (Perth) along the south coast and around NZ and ended in Sydney.  Great cruise!

The weather here  is all upside down atm. Coolest, wettest summer I can remember. Sharp contrast to the heat and fires of the previous summer. Extreme weather becoming more common everywhere.

I think my late wife and I were on that cruise too. I think we missed Fiordland NZ that time.

I saw on the news today thousands of sea turtles being rescued due to the cold, Texas?

Edited by lyndarra

22 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The weather here  is all upside down atm. Coolest, wettest summer I can remember. Sharp contrast to the heat and fires of the previous summer. Extreme weather becoming more common everywhere.

I think my late wife and I were on that cruise too. I think we missed Fiordland NZ that time.

I saw on the news today thousands of sea turtles being rescued due to the cold, Texas?

Enjoying the Australian Open.  Commend Australia for its proactive Covid-19 measures.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OUBaylor1 said:

Enjoying the Australian Open.  Commend Australia for its proactive Covid-19 measures.

Thanks.

Many people were against the Open being held due to infection risk but it seems to have been well managed. Lots tennis tragics here in Oz. International cricket also went ahead with players from India.

The latest thinking re 14 day hotel quarantine is to move it out of the cities. During the Spanish flu we had quarantine accommodation but it was well away from cities. We are finding that it is too easy for an infection to escape into the population when quarantine workers get infected.

This caused a 5 day shut down for the state of Victoria.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/authorities-planning-for-a-third-lockdown-as-melbourne-holiday-inn-cases-grow/news-story/65c965de86efa7f93f07d2772c4c1219

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Well, I wish you safe travels and a wonderful time with your family.

Thank you.  We will make a try to get to NY on Sat. As precpdicted, our orig flights that we changed were in fact cancelled. 

I connected with the  local Health Dept in NY..  They were very helpful,   Once we arrive they will " follow us"..They were quite impressed that we have both our Covid shots completed already and we have pre tested neg.  One more  test & we should be good for a slice of cake, if all goes well!

( i did not mention this was a hi risk pregnancy for my dtr.,cancer survivor.,that baby was in NICU....rough yr..all good now! Lots to be thankful for...)

Hope everyone did okay in the snow storm.

Lucky for us, our son in law did our driveway and walks AGAIN.  

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Did not hear about the sea turtles but many people  in Tx and elsewhere are in the cold and dark due to power problems,  very sad, hope it clears up soon!

17 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Yes we missed the New Zealand fjords due to a medical emergency and we had to turn back to Melbourne as I recall it.