Jump to content

Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

This has been one hell of a week in Texas. Today, Friday, I can hear the ice and snow melting in the sun and most folks have their power back. We have water now but are on a boil water notice. Store shelves are bare even if you venture out which my DH did. Fortunately we are well stocked. We only lost power for 20 hrs but our daughters homes were without much longer--one of them for three days. Lots and lots of damage to homes and buildings. This storm expected to surpass Hurricane Harvey in damages. We usually spend Feb. and March in Mexico but glad we were here to tend to things.

 

A favorite meme going around: 2020--the year from hell; 2021--the year hell froze over!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes we missed the New Zealand fjords due to a medical emergency and we had to turn back to Melbourne as I recall it.

That's the one. Big disappointment for those that had traveled half way around the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lyndarra said:

That's the one. Big disappointment for those that had traveled half way around the world.

But I will just have to go back there as soon as I am able.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vaccination has today started in Australia using Pfizer. AstraZeneca has been approved and should be on its way soon and it is being made in Australia unlike Pfizer which comes from Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Vaccination has today started in Australia using Pfizer. AstraZeneca has been approved and should be on its way soon and it is being made in Australia unlike Pfizer which comes from Europe.

What is the strategy there?  Cities first?  Elderly? Health care workers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The first group to receive are quarantine and border workers, frontline healthcare and aged/disability care workers.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/first-covid-19-vaccinations-in-australia

The above group is Phase 1a. The website has an eligibility checker which I completed and it determined that I will be in the second phase, 1b, scheduled to  commence mid March. So far, all appears to be well organised. Time will tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, lyndarra said:

The above group is Phase 1a. The website has an eligibility checker which I completed and it determined that I will be in the second phase, 1b, scheduled to  commence mid March. So far, all appears to be well organised. Time will tell.

Thank you!  Good news!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Are you surprised by this at all?  How is the vaccination plan going so far there?

I'm surprised it wasn't longer.

Vaccination is going ok with an initial hiccup at the start when a doctor gave two elderly recipients 4x the correct dose. They are doing ok with no adverse side effects but were kept in hospital for observation. The vaccinations are being done IIRC by two private companies contracted by the federal government rather than leaving up to the states. The doctor had failed to complete an on-line training course provided by the contractor and this was not checked before the doctor started. His mistake was noticed at the time by an attending nurse who corrected him - he was later stood down by the contractor. I believe the contractor company CEO resigned.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A "Russian" variant has been detected when two travelers in hotel quarantine were tested after arriving in Brisbane Feb 17. All passengers, about 70+, on that flight have had their 14 day quarantine extended by 5 days while the effects of this variant are studied. Australia (and New Zealand) IMHO is doing a great job protecting its citizens. We remain vigilant. It is also helping our economy as we have had increasing positive growth for the past three months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Vaccination is going ok with an initial hiccup at the start when a doctor gave two elderly recipients 4x the correct dose.

Yikes....are they now 4 x less likely to contract the virus...LOL.  Actually this is serious...an overdose of any medication, especially to elderly or those health compromised, is dangerous.  Glad they're ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The state of AK has opened vaccines for all persons 50 & Older

In addition, the K-12 Teachers & Child-care Workers vaccination continues, as well as those w/ medical need, etc., etc., etc.

The Municipality of Sitka is now vaccinating all 16 & Older

SCF is now vaccinating all Alaska Residents 40 & Above

J&J vaccine was planned to ship Monday - have not yet heard if it has arrived

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

We wee told we would get the second vaccine 90 days after the first.

 

Now, in their wisdom, they are extending it to FOUR Months.

Hard trade-offs need to be made in times of scarcity. In the medical and health - care communities there is an ongoing debate as to whether it is better to have more people with at least a small bit of protection (just the first jab), or to have a smaller group of most vulnerable  people who have received the most protection (two jabs). Trying to limit disease spread, trying to reduce deaths, trying to reduce hospitalizations so that the systems are not overloaded, trying to protect the grocery-store clerks and the nurses and teachers and food producers... There cannot be one right answer, and different localities/regions/countries are making different choices. The forthcoming J&J one-shot vaccine will help a great deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Hard trade-offs need to be made in times of scarcity. In the medical and health - care communities there is an ongoing debate as to whether it is better to have more people with at least a small bit of protection (just the first jab), or to have a smaller group of most vulnerable  people who have received the most protection (two jabs). Trying to limit disease spread, trying to reduce deaths, trying to reduce hospitalizations so that the systems are not overloaded, trying to protect the grocery-store clerks and the nurses and teachers and food producers... There cannot be one right answer, and different localities/regions/countries are making different choices. The forthcoming J&J one-shot vaccine will help a great deal.

That is the trade-off but it is actually a lot better than that.    A "small bit of protection" for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines after 1 shot and 3-4 weeks gives 85% efficacy.  No hospitalizations and death.  The second dose will likely be needed eventually to keep immunity levels boosted.  But a lot of people can be protected from serious COVID and death after just one shot.  But the clinical studies were done with two shots.  Unlike J&J which did 1-shot clinical studies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Von & John said:

The state of AK has opened vaccines for all persons 50 & Older

In addition, the K-12 Teachers & Child-care Workers vaccination continues, as well as those w/ medical need, etc., etc., etc.

The Municipality of Sitka is now vaccinating all 16 & Older

SCF is now vaccinating all Alaska Residents 40 & Above

J&J vaccine was planned to ship Monday - have not yet heard if it has arrived

excellent news

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cantstopingcruising said:

We wee told we would get the second vaccine 90 days after the first.

 

Now, in their wisdom, they are extending it to FOUR Months.

Not sure that is the case in all provinces (so far)...just heard that BC has extended the 2nd dose to 4 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Not sure that is the case in all provinces (so far)...just heard that BC has extended the 2nd dose to 4 months.

I think you will find several Provinces have extended the 2nd dose out to 4 months. I'm not sure I agree but I'm not in the medical field. I hope it is a good strategy to get more people with at least one dose of a sporadic supply. Perhaps with the new success found in the US they will be able to release some of their production to their allies some time after May.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think you will find several Provinces have extended the 2nd dose out to 4 months. I'm not sure I agree but I'm not in the medical field. I hope it is a good strategy to get more people with at least one dose of a sporadic supply. Perhaps with the new success found in the US they will be able to release some of their production to their allies some time after May.

Thanks....As of yesterday....

 

TORONTO - Ontario will extend the interval between doses of COVID-19 vaccines to up to four months after a national panel recommended doing so, paving the way for an acceleration of the province's immunization effort.

A spokeswoman for Health Minister Christine Elliott said the province welcomed the updated guidance from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization released late Wednesday afternoon.

 

 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so sorry to hear about everyone's problems. We live in Florida and have all 3 shots available. My hubby and I had the 1st Pfizer shot the 3rd week of February and now will get the 2nd on March 11th. Right now they are doing 1st responders and over 65. Considering everyone in Florida is over 65 it may take a while. No just kidding, but a lot are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...