Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

I gave up on 2021 before it even started. No cruises booked till '22. I'm dismayed by the sudden surge in cases here in PA and, from what I read, also NJ and NY. Increasing vaccination + increasing cases, to me, seems to indicate people getting a bit too free and easy - especially after maybe only having the 1st of 2 moderna or pfizer shots. Or else asymptomatic spread, since vaccinated can still be carriers and spreaders until greater community immunity is achieved. I suppose a far more likely culprit is things starting to reopen, masking mandates lifted, etc. Given how long it'll probably take for global vaccination, I'm pretty much writing off any sort of extensive travel. We have a fly-drive trip booked for October to the western US for some sightseeing, but might wind up canceling that (again...sheesh). 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

Cases had been going down after Christmas. Now there are increases in new infections. I got vaccinated.  There are still many people who haven’t been vaccinated or just choose not to get the shots.  I cannot understand why they wouldn’t want some protection. They don’t seem concerned. You often see groups of young people and kids gathering together.  A few weeks later, they are sick. There are too many stupid people ignoring the warnings.  Unless this changes, we will continue to stay home.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Unless this changes, we will continue to stay home.  

I know and agree. My prediction - and it seems Dr. Walensky of the CDC agrees - is that we could well be heading for a new (significantly increased) phase of the virus. Been watching our local High School baskeball playoffs past few weeks and are reminded of comments by some of the winning coaches, e.g. you never let your guard down and have to be all in for the entire 32 minutes of play - till the game is over. Success in winning takes 100% committment from all players. What's happening though, is that, as you refer to, people are relaxing their degree of attention to safety protocols. They're tired of it. But, hey, aren't we all? I'm reminded of a comment by one CC poster on a different forum when I addressed some of these concerns, I was told: "you stay home and I'll continue to go eat at restaurants". Uh-huh. Yeah..that's a great attitude for sure. Opening things up too fast too soon. It's frustrating. I'm beginning to think I'll probably wind up canceling my October trip out west...and maybe even some of the cruises scheduled for '22 (rebookings of rebookings...such as we all have!). Trying to stay upbeat and encouraged about the vaccinations, but without continued vigilance, this thing could just drag on and on - all the time (at the risk of being anthropomorphic) playing into the hands of new variants. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

We finally canceled our October 2021 cruise from Southampton to the Canary Islands. We have rebooked, rebooked etc a cruise in June of 2022 to the Western Med.

I trust the CDC and if they don't feel it's safe to travel before November, I don't either.

2 minutes ago, simba195 said:

I trust the CDC and if they don't feel it's safe to travel before November, I don't either.

I agree completely, but the type of advice coming from them and the whole "listen to the science" philosphy is a hotly contested one due to the politicization of this whole affair. Never expected that somehow. 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I agree completely, but the type of advice coming from them and the whole "listen to the science" philosphy is a hotly contested one due to the politicization of this whole affair. Never expected that somehow. 

I agree. Politicians should stick to politics and scientists and medical people should look after our health.  What do politicians know about medicine?

• Like 1

DH & I had our second shots today.  We are hopeful for a cruise in February, 2022 if only to the Caribbean. We were already to leave on a short cruise in 2020 when Hubby became acutely ill (not Covid) and instead of getting on a plane, I was calling the cruise line from the ER to cancel.  He recovered and I also became ill a few days later.  We spent the whole week in the house.

Thankfully we had insurance and it covered everything.  Southwest gave us airfare credit to 9/24.  Only lost the hotel room for the one day pre-cruise.  

17 hours ago, Podie said:
  • I've been living in Hawaii for the past 11 months and things are wonderful here except the tourists are back (20,000 per day) and my solitude is shattered!

Podie,

Please excuse me if I do not "feel your pain" living in Hawaii. 😇

Hope, for your case, that authorities are keeping a watchful eye for "unexpected" developments.

We have very much enjoyed our (too brief) visits to those wonderful islands.

NRayH

Well we booked the airfare today, Air Canada Premium Economy. As it turns out we can have lounge access for a nominal fee with these tickets. We have decided to get an earlier flight from Victoria to Vancouver and will lay over for about 5 hours at YVR so the lounge will be nice. We leave at almost midnight on the 10th and arrive in Auckland on the 12th. Return flight is direct from Melbourne to YVR.

• Like 2

Hi ,

we are in the UK and desperate to travel to Brisbane but due to our travel restrictions cannot ,I am surprised that you are able to travel with the issues Melbourne have had .Brisbane has just had a 3 day lock down .are your dates for this year ?For family reasons we need to travel but have been advised although I gave birth to my son I am not classed as his immediate family ,this only applies to spouses ,partners or a legal guardian .

1 hour ago, margo2011 said:

Hi ,

we are in the UK and desperate to travel to Brisbane but due to our travel restrictions cannot, ,I am surprised that you are able to travel with the issues Melbourne have had .Brisbane has just had a 3 day lock down .are your dates for this year ?For family reasons we need to travel but have been advised although I gave birth to my son I am not classed as his immediate family ,this only applies to spouses ,partners or a legal guardian .

I'm not sure if this was directed to my post. To clarify we are travelling in 2022 and are hopeful but realistic that we may not be able to go. Indications are that the vaccine roll out in Oz as well as here in Canada are being bogged down by lack of supply and other logistical issues. There is also the issue of random closures of interstate borders in Australia. My wife and I are hopeful that by our scheduled travel time New Zealand and Australia will have opened their international borders to Canadians.

Edited by Blackduck59

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure if this was directed to my post. To clarify we are travelling in 2022 and are hopeful but realistic that we may not be able to go. Indications are that the vaccine roll out in Oz as well as here in Canada are being bogged down by lack of supply and other logistical issues. There is also the issue of random closures of interstate borders in Australia. My wife and I are hopeful that by our scheduled travel time New Zealand and Australia will have opened their international borders to Canadians.

Hi ,yes I was referring to your post ,I’m sorry but although I have been on C/C for awhile I still can’t get my head around the processes.Thank you for your reply I have only just found replies to an earlier post so would like to apologise to those kind people who did reply with information .

2 hours ago, margo2011 said:

Hi ,

we are in the UK and desperate to travel to Brisbane but due to our travel restrictions cannot ,I am surprised that you are able to travel with the issues Melbourne have had .Brisbane has just had a 3 day lock down .are your dates for this year ?For family reasons we need to travel but have been advised although I gave birth to my son I am not classed as his immediate family ,this only applies to spouses ,partners or a legal guardian .

So Moms' have no right to travel there for personal reasons even though they 'intimately' have knowledge of their own son?  If my sons needed me I'd be incentivized to swim (well maybe not but you know what I mean).  Does this also apply in the UK?  Can he come to you?

Thank you ,He cannot travel to Uk either .I am aware that Australian citizens have been to court over this issue  so I will just have to wait  till travel is reinstated .We will hopefully tag on a cruise after our  visit.

1 hour ago, margo2011 said:

Thank you ,He cannot travel to Uk either .I am aware that Australian citizens have been to court over this issue  so I will just have to wait  till travel is reinstated .We will hopefully tag on a cruise after our  visit.

I hope all is well with your son's health.

• Like 1

It has been an up and down week week or so. First, we were told last week that vaccinations were to be opened up here to the 70+ age group, in which we fit, but it turned out that the city didn't actually have enough of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine to offer more than a small number of appointments, which were quickly taken. More vaccine was anticipated in a couple of weeks or so, so try again after April 7.

Then the province announced that they would allow the Ottawa pharmacies to join others across the province offering the AstraZeneca vaccine. But there would be a delay while they ramped up their booking systems and waited for delivery of the vaccine. AZ is not our first choice, but the uncertainty of the Moderna and Pfizer deliveries led to our decision that it was better to be vaccinated now rather than wait, possibly for weeks, before getting one of the other two. As cases are really climbing in Ontario and we have entered a province-wide lockdown starting today, AZ seemed to be the way to go, and we successfully booked for early next week.

This morning, the local paper reported than an unexpected supply of Moderna and/or Pfizer was being delivered to the city and that bookings were open again. Mad rush to my laptop, and I was able to secure appointments for next Saturday. We're both very happy to wait the extra few days to get either Moderna or Pfizer. Booking confirmed, I then cancelled the AZ appointments.

Our second shots won't be until July 31, but if the anticipated increase in vaccine deliveries come to fruition, maybe they will be able to start shortening the gap.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It has been an up and down week week or so. First, we were told last week that vaccinations were to be opened up here to the 70+ age group, in which we fit, but it turned out that the city didn't actually have enough of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine to offer more than a small number of appointments, which were quickly taken. More vaccine was anticipated in a couple of weeks or so, so try again after April 7.

Then the province announced that they would allow the Ottawa pharmacies to join others across the province offering the AstraZeneca vaccine. But there would be a delay while they ramped up their booking systems and waited for delivery of the vaccine. AZ is not our first choice, but the uncertainty of the Moderna and Pfizer deliveries led to our decision that it was better to be vaccinated now rather than wait, possibly for weeks, before getting one of the other two. As cases are really climbing in Ontario and we have entered a province-wide lockdown starting today, AZ seemed to be the way to go, and we successfully booked for early next week.

This morning, the local paper reported than an unexpected supply of Moderna and/or Pfizer was being delivered to the city and that bookings were open again. Mad rush to my laptop, and I was able to secure appointments for next Saturday. We're both very happy to wait the extra few days to get either Moderna or Pfizer. Booking confirmed, I then cancelled the AZ appointments.

Our second shots won't be until July 31, but if the anticipated increase in vaccine deliveries come to fruition, maybe they will be able to start shortening the gap.

In our area, I had no problem booking for DH after I realized the browser was locking at a certain point and not cooperating with the booking site.  Changed to another one...got in right away.  Next round I booked mine;  several appts. open...checked hours later, no appts. open.  Increased supply no doubt opened more.  Happy you got your appts. with preferred dose.  It's reported the jump in virus numbers is in large part due to Universities.  Your city and mine have large uni's.. numbers coming out of 'off campus parties' according to reports.  What will it take!  If the kids want to get back to open door get to-gethers, let alone patio parties, football, all of that....and they're as smart as they think they are....stay in, study...whatever it takes to follow medical advice during this shutdown.  Also, the health minister said it MAY be probable that the 2nd shot waiting period will be shortened as we receive more vaccine doses. 🤞

Edited by Oceangoer2

6 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

In our area, I had no problem booking for DH after I realized the browser was locking at a certain point and not cooperating with the booking site.  Changed to another one...got in right away.  Next round I booked mine;  several appts. open...checked hours later, no appts. open.  Increased supply no doubt opened more.  Happy you got your appts. with preferred dose.  It's reported the jump in virus numbers is in large part due to Universities.  Your city and mine have large uni's.. numbers coming out of 'off campus parties' according to reports.  What will it take!  If the kids want to get back to open door get to-gethers, let alone patio parties, football, all of that....and they're as smart as they think they are....stay in, study...whatever it takes to follow medical advice during this shutdown.  Also, the health minister said it MAY be probable that the 2nd shot waiting period will be shortened as we receive more vaccine doses. 🤞

I said many weeks ago, when the general expectation that my age group wouldn't get a first shot until June or so, that I wasn't going to worry about when. I'd continue taking all of the necessary precautions to try to keep out of harms way, but there was little to be achieved in worrying about when my turn would come.

As it has turned out, it's a couple of months earlier than expected, so smiles all around! Our kids are grown up and our grandkids haven't reached university age yet, so a big potential source of misery is one we don't deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I said many weeks ago, when the general expectation that my age group wouldn't get a first shot until June or so, that I wasn't going to worry about when. I'd continue taking all of the necessary precautions to try to keep out of harms way, but there was little to be achieved in worrying about when my turn would come.

As it has turned out, it's a couple of months earlier than expected, so smiles all around! Our kids are grown up and our grandkids haven't reached university age yet, so a big potential source of misery is one we don't deal with.

......our grandkids haven't reached university age yet, so a big potential source of misery is one we don't deal with.....YET...lol.  My son attended U of O....straight A high school student, etc....then went to Ottawa...haha....grades not important but being floor rep was....organized more parties than was good for him (and our bank).  Part of growing up...but I'd like to think he would have been careful during a pandemic and not put himself and especially older people in the line of possibly dying from it....worse case scenario, but who knows.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

......our grandkids haven't reached university age yet, so a big potential source of misery is one we don't deal with.....YET...lol.  My son attended U of O....straight A high school student, etc....then went to Ottawa...haha....grades not important but being floor rep was....organized more parties than was good for him (and our bank).  Part of growing up...but I'd like to think he would have been careful during a pandemic and not put himself and especially older people in the line of possibly dying from it....worse case scenario, but who knows.

Ah, my alma mater, albeit in the sixties!

Just now, Fouremco said:

Ah, my alma mater, albeit in the sixties!

So you know how much fun a student can have in O?  Skating on the Rideout (sp?).  Beaver tails.  I'll bet the 60's were even more open than when he was there.

40 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

So you know how much fun a student can have in O?  Skating on the Rideout (sp?).  Beaver tails.  I'll bet the 60's were even more open than when he was there.

Oh yeah!