Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It has been an up and down week week or so. First, we were told last week that vaccinations were to be opened up here to the 70+ age group, in which we fit, but it turned out that the city didn't actually have enough of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine to offer more than a small number of appointments, which were quickly taken. More vaccine was anticipated in a couple of weeks or so, so try again after April 7.

Then the province announced that they would allow the Ottawa pharmacies to join others across the province offering the AstraZeneca vaccine. But there would be a delay while they ramped up their booking systems and waited for delivery of the vaccine. AZ is not our first choice, but the uncertainty of the Moderna and Pfizer deliveries led to our decision that it was better to be vaccinated now rather than wait, possibly for weeks, before getting one of the other two. As cases are really climbing in Ontario and we have entered a province-wide lockdown starting today, AZ seemed to be the way to go, and we successfully booked for early next week.

This morning, the local paper reported than an unexpected supply of Moderna and/or Pfizer was being delivered to the city and that bookings were open again. Mad rush to my laptop, and I was able to secure appointments for next Saturday. We're both very happy to wait the extra few days to get either Moderna or Pfizer. Booking confirmed, I then cancelled the AZ appointments.

Our second shots won't be until July 31, but if the anticipated increase in vaccine deliveries come to fruition, maybe they will be able to start shortening the gap.

Awesome news about your appointments!  I understand about the AZ vaccine hesitancy based upon the political statements and media hype, but the thrombocytopenia issue is a very very slight risk in some younger women mostly and now that it is known,  it can be an awareness issue post vaccination and it is treatable.   The vast majority of people in Canada and elsewhere offering the AZ vaccine should understand that the slight risk of this is trivial in comparison to the risk of COVID, COVID long haul syndrome, and of course death from COVID.   Even in the younger population.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Awesome news about your appointments!  I understand about the AZ vaccine hesitancy based upon the political statements and media hype, but the thrombocytopenia issue is a very very slight risk in some younger women mostly and now that it is known,  it can be an awareness issue post vaccination and it is treatable.   The vast majority of people in Canada and elsewhere offering the AZ vaccine should understand that the slight risk of this is trivial in comparison to the risk of COVID, COVID long haul syndrome, and of course death from COVID.   Even in the younger population.

Our preference for Moderna or Pfizer over AZ was based on a number of issues, each perhaps relatively minor in terms of the risk posed but enough to have us decide that we would take it only if nothing else was available. Thrombocytopenia was the least of our concerns, other than the fact that it was just one more issue for a vaccine that has seemingly experienced a series of issues. 

Variants are a growing concern in Canada, including the South African variant present in several provinces, including Ontario. Early results from AZ's trials suggest that it provides no protection against this variant, while Pfizer trials indicate that it is 91% effective against it. Moderna is just starting to examine its effectiveness against B.1.351.

I agree with you, the risks from AZ compared to COVID are small, which is why we initially signed up for it. Nevertheless, if you made a chart listing pros and cons of these three vaccines, I'm sure that AZ would be outscored by Moderna and Pfizer. Yes, AZ gets a passing grade, but the other two passed with higher marks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Our preference for Moderna or Pfizer over AZ was based on a number of issues, each perhaps relatively minor in terms of the risk posed but enough to have us decide that we would take it only if nothing else was available. Thrombocytopenia was the least of our concerns, other than the fact that it was just one more issue for a vaccine that has seemingly experienced a series of issues. 

Variants are a growing concern in Canada, including the South African variant present in several provinces, including Ontario. Early results from AZ's trials suggest that it provides no protection against this variant, while Pfizer trials indicate that it is 91% effective against it. Moderna is just starting to examine its effectiveness against B.1.351.

I agree with you, the risks from AZ compared to COVID are small, which is why we initially signed up for it. Nevertheless, if you made a chart listing pros and cons of these three vaccines, I'm sure that AZ would be outscored by Moderna and Pfizer. Yes, AZ gets a passing grade, but the other two passed with higher marks.

Hi!

So who is "our" that wrote this statement you have posted?

Are you presenting information that is copied and pasted from another source?

I could be wrong, but I thought it was rules violation to copy and paste other sources?

DO NOT Post Copyrighted Material - Celebrity Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

CHEER!

🍸

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Hi!

So who is "our" that wrote this statement you have posted?

Are you presenting information that is copied and pasted from another source?

I could be wrong, but I thought it was rules violation to copy and paste other sources?

DO NOT Post Copyrighted Material - Celebrity Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

CHEER!

🍸

"Our" is my DW's and my preference. I'm quite able to write a few paragraphs on my own, thank you very much.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

"Our" is my DW's and my preference. I'm quite able to write a few paragraphs on my own, thank you very much.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers

🍸

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Someone just became the message board police?? 😉

Sure, I will be honored to assume that role.

Did I say something that offended you that caused you to make your snarky comment?  If I did, please accept my apology as I would not want to offend anyone.

Cheers!

🍹

Edited by Sam.Seattle
  • Like 1

Oh gee..  I checked in here to avoid another thread that had turned fairly rude.

This  thread has  always shared hope and mostly  good news..must be some Covid stress going around. 

Happy Easter to those Celebrating!

We're hosting a  small dinner here in suburban NY( cloudy but warm)   It's just us (fully  vaccinated) dtr and her family.   Can't wait  to see how the grands( ages 1 and 5)  like their bunny baskets!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

In the UK around 60% of the adult population have received their first jab. About 50/50 Pfizer/AZ. Contrary to reports in the European press there are not thousands of folk dying with blood clots In the UK. 8 I think. 125,000 have died from Covid and the current rate is 10pd. Growing in mainland Europe, plunging in UK. Europe have talked it up into an issue that doesn't exist. I wonder why!🤔

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks I understand your perspective.  Yes the Pfizer vaccine data just starting to come out on the S.Africa variant is promising.  Good luck with your vaccinations and I hope that Canada gets its programs on track and accelerated.  I'm selfish- want to visit there soon!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Oh gee..  I checked in here to avoid another thread that had turned fairly rude.

This  thread has  always shared hope and mostly  good news..must be some Covid stress going around. 

Happy Easter to those Celebrating!

We're hosting a  small dinner here in suburban NY( cloudy but warm)   It's just us (fully  vaccinated) dtr and her family.   Can't wait  to see how the grands( ages 1 and 5)  like their bunny baskets!

We just had an Everybody's Vaccinated Easter dinner at my son's house.  It was a great day and a great feeling.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks I understand your perspective.  Yes the Pfizer vaccine data just starting to come out on the S.Africa variant is promising.  Good luck with your vaccinations and I hope that Canada gets its programs on track and accelerated.  I'm selfish- want to visit there soon!

Me too! We usually visit the Maritimes every second year, but the Maritime Bubble kept us out last year, and may again this year. I'm hoping that they'll allow fully vaccinated visitors this yeat without the 14-day quarantine. 

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

We just had an Everybody's Vaccinated Easter dinner at my son's house.  It was a great day and a great feeling.

Wish we could say the same.  DH and I have had one shot...rest of the family have not.  Enjoyed a lovely dinner delivered from our golf club up the street but not the same, even though I didn't cook...one good thing I guess...😄

Happy you enjoyed your Easter dinner with your loved ones.

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Wish we could say the same.  DH and I have had one shot...rest of the family have not.  Enjoyed a lovely dinner delivered from our golf club up the street but not the same, even though I didn't cook...one good thing I guess...😄

Happy you enjoyed your Easter dinner with your loved ones.

Thank you.  You will get there very soon.  Having holiday's with loved ones is a true joy we have missed over the past year.

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Me too! We usually visit the Maritimes every second year, but the Maritime Bubble kept us out last year, and may again this year. I'm hoping that they'll allow fully vaccinated visitors this yeat without the 14-day quarantine. 

You mentioned the bit of a problem booking your vaccination.  My neighbour told me their 88 year old MIL was looking forward to her shot last week and was told 2 days before she was cancelled.  Apparently the system allowed a double booking which pre-empted hers.  She's in Ottawa as well;  a few relatives contacted Parliament bldg rep ... didn't help...and then a provincial dept of health connection....still nothing.  A few days later, miraculously an appt. opened for her.  Odd how that works when the wheel is greased.  In this case, I'd pull out all the stops as well, and use whatever worked to get someone that age in the line.

Edited by Oceangoer2

47 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

You mentioned the bit of a problem booking your vaccination.  My neighbour told me their 88 year old MIL was looking forward to her shot last week and was told 2 days before she was cancelled.  Apparently the system allowed a double booking which pre-empted hers.  She's in Ottawa as well;  a few relatives contacted Parliament bldg rep ... didn't help...and then a provincial dept of health connection....still nothing.  A few days later, miraculously an appt. opened for her.  Odd how that works when the wheel is greased.  In this case, I'd pull out all the stops as well, and use whatever worked to get someone that age in the line.

Yes, there was a glitch with the provincial booking system that resulted in some 3000 double bookings in Ottawa. City health officials resolved the issue with the province to ensure it wouldn't be repeated, and opened a number of temporary clinics in order to accommodate the extra numbers. Your neighbour's MIL's appointment opened up as the result of city health officials doing a great job in responding to the glitch, but the greasing-the-wheel story is more fun to tell. 😊

17 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, there was a glitch with the provincial booking system that resulted in some 3000 double bookings in Ottawa. City health officials resolved the issue with the province to ensure it wouldn't be repeated, and opened a number of temporary clinics in order to accommodate the extra numbers. Your neighbour's MIL's appointment opened up as the result of city health officials doing a great job in responding to the glitch, but the greasing-the-wheel story is more fun to tell. 😊

haha...yes...probably had nothing to do with it, but my neighbour likes to think so.  We've been very lucky with our site...smooth sailing.  Booked easily, shot without waiting, in fact arrived a little early and they took me in, 1/2 hr. in and out.  Next shot booked but not until July so maybe sooner if the big shipment promised comes through sooner than expected. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 3:52 PM, TeeRick said:

18 million people have had AZ jab in UK. Eight people have unhappily died. The negative press, mainly in Europe, has been unbelievable. 

BTW, congrats to USA. I read today you hit 4 million jabs in one day recently 👍🇺🇸

Well done 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, sgmn said:

18 million people have had AZ jab in UK. Eight people have unhappily died. The negative press, mainly in Europe, has been unbelievable. 

BTW, congrats to USA. I read today you hit 4 million jabs in one day recently 👍🇺🇸

Well done 

Thank you for reporting accurate statistics ... they show an amazing sucess rate ... there are only a statistically insignificant number of adverse reactions ... like you, unhappy to learn of these but there are always some level of poor reaction to any treatment plan for anything! We think it is so unfortunate that this tiny percentage of adverse reactions get so much publicity! We just had our 1st Jab on 4/2 and can't have our 2nd jab until 6/2!

We just came back from the County Agricultural Fair and the only people wearing masks over their faces were the ticket sellers.  Some attendees had them draped around the neck.  No employees or food preparers were masked.  As far as we can tell, the pandemic is over and done.  I personally have been double vaccinated for six weeks, and my 88 year-old Mother, who went to the Fair with us, has been immunized even longer.  It's time to tell the politicians who are abusing their powers and our rights to get out of our lives.  Let's go cruising!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bax said:

As far as we can tell, the pandemic is over and done.

Seems to me we've heard that several times over the past year, only to find that, oops, no it's not. I wouldn't use the lack of masks at an agricultural fair as an indicator of the state of the pandemic any more than I'd use the recent lack of masks in South Beach. JMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well the numbers here in BC really are unsettling, on the bright side for me they opened vaccine registration for my age group and I registered on line quick and easy, I got my registration number and now I wait to be contacted with an appointment time.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bax said:

We just came back from the County Agricultural Fair and the only people wearing masks over their faces were the ticket sellers.  Some attendees had them draped around the neck.  No employees or food preparers were masked.  As far as we can tell, the pandemic is over and done.  I personally have been double vaccinated for six weeks, and my 88 year-old Mother, who went to the Fair with us, has been immunized even longer.  It's time to tell the politicians who are abusing their powers and our rights to get out of our lives.  Let's go cruising!

Where are you from?  The people of Michigan are at a 7-day average of new cases well over 7000.  Even with vaccinations at 34% (one dose at least) of the population.  Unfortunately the pandemic is far from over.  Be safe!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well the numbers here in BC really are unsettling, on the bright side for me they opened vaccine registration for my age group and I registered on line quick and easy, I got my registration number and now I wait to be contacted with an appointment time.

Good luck.  I hope you get an appointment soon!😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1