Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Moderna  booster was approved for those over 65   and we meet the criteria. Will hope to get an appt at CVS, Rite Aid or Walgreens..hope the quest will be easier than it was back in Feb 2021 !

Not going to mix products so we will be patient .

Anyone have their booster yet?

18 hours ago, hcat said:

Moderna  booster was approved for those over 65   and we meet the criteria. Will hope to get an appt at CVS, Rite Aid or Walgreens..hope the quest will be easier than it was back in Feb 2021 !

Hi hcat.  We had the Moderna vaccine completed back in early April.  We just signed up for the booster at our local CVS next week.  We will be getting a Pfizer booster.  So mixed.  Both the FDA and CDC approved mixed boosters and the clinical data supports this approach.  If I had the 1 shot J&J, then I would seek to get a booster immediately.  Many of the "fully vaccinated" breakthrough cases are coming from that vaccine.  I am wondering how many of the crew on cruise ships got that vaccine?  Hopefully they will get a second (booster) dose if that is the case.  Cruise lines were giving out the J&J to the majority of their crew before cruising start up.

When you get your Moderna booster it is a different dose.  It is 1/2 the dose of the original.

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hi hcat.  We had the Moderna vaccine completed back in early April.  We just signed up for the booster at our local CVS next week.  We will be getting a Pfizer booster.  So mixed.  Both the FDA and CDC approved mixed boosters and the clinical data supports this approach.  If I had the 1 shot J&J, then I would seek to get a booster immediately.  Many of the "fully vaccinated" breakthrough cases are coming from that vaccine.  I am wondering how many of the crew on cruise ships got that vaccine?  Hopefully they will get a second (booster) dose if that is the case.  Cruise lines were giving out the J&J to the majority of their crew before cruising start up.

When you get your Moderna booster it is a different dose.  It is 1/2 the dose of the original.

Curious to know if you were given a choice on which booster you want or is it just what that CVS is offering?  I had Moderna, horrible reaction to 2nd dose (still glad I got it) but was basically in bed for 2+ days after.  I am hoping for Pfizer but of course will take whatever is available when I can get it.

42 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Curious to know if you were given a choice on which booster you want or is it just what that CVS is offering?  I had Moderna, horrible reaction to 2nd dose (still glad I got it) but was basically in bed for 2+ days after.  I am hoping for Pfizer but of course will take whatever is available when I can get it.

On the CVS online site you add in your relevant information and they will ask if you want an initial COVID vaccine series or a booster.  When you choose booster they will ask what your original vaccine was that you received. It does not matter where you got the original.  Then you will go to a "schedule your vaccine" page that shows local CVS minute clinics and their schedule dates and their vaccine choices for those dates.  Our closest CVS had Pfizer for the date and time we wanted.  Others in the local area had Moderna.  We decided that a mixed dose (Moderna-Moderna-Pfizer booster) was the right option for us based on the excellent clinical data for mixed vaccines.  But three doses of the same is really very good too.  Best of luck!

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

On the CVS online site you add in your relevant information and they will ask if you want an initial COVID vaccine series or a booster.  When you choose booster they will ask what your original vaccine was that you received. It does not matter where you got the original.  Then you will go to a "schedule your vaccine" page that shows local CVS minute clinics and their schedule dates and their vaccine choices for those dates.  Our closest CVS had Pfizer for the date and time we wanted.  Others in the local area had Moderna.  We decided that a mixed dose (Moderna-Moderna-Pfizer booster) was the right option for us based on the excellent clinical data for mixed vaccines.  But three doses of the same is really very good too.  Best of luck!

Thanks and good luck to you and your wife as well.

22 hours ago, hcat said:

We got our boosters Sept. 30 (Pfizer).  I'm glad the others have been approved.

Now, we are ready to board the Millinium Oct.27 in San Diego.  We'll do the coast of Mexico and part of South America.  Then through the Panama Canal and ending up in Ft. Lauderdale.

We selected to go out of San Diego because, when we booked, DiSantis was forcing cruise ships not to use "Vaccine Passports."  At least the trip home will be a lot shorter!

Interesting posts.  DH got his booster shot 2 weeks ago.  We both got Pfizer for the first 2 shots but he was advised to have Moderna for the booster.  He had basically no effects from the Pfizer and worried his weakened immune system was not making antibodies.  Well, no worries with Moderna!  He was quite sick with a fever of 101 and general malaise.  So he is very happy his body noticed this one!  We are a bit behind here in BC.  Only immuno suppressed people and those in long term care are getting the booster at the moment.  The rest of us have to wait.

Interesting posts, indeed.  Here in Saskatchewan, immune-suppressed and people over 65 (over 50 in far northern, more isolated communities) can get a booster, as long as it's been 6 months from their second shot.  We're hoping to get a booster in December, (6 months from our second dose date).  We are 60 and 62 and not immune-suppressed.  We are planning a land trip to the US in January, so would like to be as protected as possible (a third shot of Pfizer takes your protection back up to 95%, apparently). 

• 2 weeks later...

Myself and DW got the third shot (Pfizer booster) yesterday at the local CVS.   Mixed vaccine types.  We originally had two Moderna shots about 7 months ago.  The both of us had a mild to moderate reaction to Moderna shot 1, but neither of us had much reaction to Moderna shot 2.    However,  I had a moderate reaction to Pfizer shot 3 last night (headache, chills).  DW had no reaction at all.  Both fine this morning.  Sore arms at the injection site.  We feel ready to approach the world with added confidence that we will not get or spread severe COVID.  Now just waiting to cruise!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I didn't expect they would allow this mixing of vaccines. We're not sure which we want to get yet but my doctor suggested just staying with the same kind we had previously (two moderna). 

Given the increasing evidence that a mixed booster results in better protection than three shots of the same vaccine, did your doctor explain why he/she recommended staying with the same? Just curious.

• Like 1

I think he was coming from the perspective of the CDC, etc. changing their minds about all this from time to time, so I believe he was just suggesting a conservative approach. We really didn't get into it in much detail. I'm hesitant to get it at all having had a horrible reaction to the 2nd moderna shot - at least I attribute it to the vaccine. Many people experienced very unusual symptoms. My doctor and I DID discuss that point. I have meniere's disease and so am already prone to weird vestibular issues, and I really think the vaccine initiated the equivalent of a truly horrid meniere's / dizziness / vomiting attack. Worst I've ever felt in my life..without exaggerating. When it started had zero control over my balance, fell over, and had to crawl along. The next 7-8  hours were like torture. Other people, following a 2nd covid shot, reported similar instances - and many of those had no prior history of any vestibular issues. If something like this happens again, I'm done with covid shots. 

37 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I think he was coming from the perspective of the CDC, etc. changing their minds about all this from time to time, so I believe he was just suggesting a conservative approach. We really didn't get into it in much detail. I'm hesitant to get it at all having had a horrible reaction to the 2nd moderna shot - at least I attribute it to the vaccine. Many people experienced very unusual symptoms. My doctor and I DID discuss that point. I have meniere's disease and so am already prone to weird vestibular issues, and I really think the vaccine initiated the equivalent of a truly horrid meniere's / dizziness / vomiting attack. Worst I've ever felt in my life..without exaggerating. When it started had zero control over my balance, fell over, and had to crawl along. The next 7-8  hours were like torture. Other people, following a 2nd covid shot, reported similar instances - and many of those had no prior history of any vestibular issues. If something like this happens again, I'm done with covid shots. 

Thank you for your fulsome reply. I can understand his preference, particularly given your situation. I hope that, whatever your final decision, that it works out for you.

12 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

That's terrible you went through that.  Given your health condition, can you imagine if you contracted the actual covid virus?  I had a very manageable reaction to Moderna innoculations, but no health issues of note either;  no-one I know went through anything unusual.   I'd take the shots and the reaction, over having the virus and what it could lead to.  Haven't had the booster yet so that may hit me differently.

Edited by Oceangoer2

13 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I didn't expect they would allow this mixing of vaccines. We're not sure which we want to get yet but my doctor suggested just staying with the same kind we had previously (two moderna). 

I would never recommend going against the advice of your doctor particularly given your situation,  but when did he/she actually make the recommendation?  In the very recent time frame the FDA Vaccine Advisory Committee, the FDA and the CDC has overwhelmingly endorsed mixed vaccine booster doses in the US.  This usually means that cruise lines will be in lock-step on mixed doses if they ever require booster doses.  Happy cruising!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

but when did he/she actually make the recommendation?

Just a few days ago. 

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Given your health condition, can you imagine if you contracted the actual covid virus? 

It's a bit of a crapshoot as to how any of us would ultimately fare with the virus. I don't have any respiratory / lung / breathing issues, etc. Meniere's is primarily a disorder of the vestibular system. Still lots of unanswered questions. 

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Just a few days ago. 

It's a bit of a crapshoot as to how any of us would ultimately fare with the virus. I don't have any respiratory / lung / breathing issues, etc. Meniere's is primarily a disorder of the vestibular system. Still lots of unanswered questions. 

Yes...it's an ear condition but if you say the inoculation affected you to the point of being on hands and knees, I'd think the full on virus would be very disabling....that's if the inoculation caused the escalation of the symptoms and not something else.