Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

hello dutch clogs

you are the same cruise as us i think on 28th september from southampton.

currently we are stuck in spain. we have been here in murcia since 25th february and cannot get home. our flight cancelled on 21st march. we only had a days notice of lock down here and now had 10 cancelled flights....still dont know when we get home to uk.

our lockdown here is very strict.  we are now into our 6th week coming up and no exercise no going out at all. only 1 person and so strict.  however it does appear to be working. areas like madrid barcelona and northern spain hit the worst. here in murcia we have lowest figures of spain. monday they let the builders back to work but only in houses not in communal apartment areas etc and with certain restrictions.

its been hard but hopefully things will get better. lookiing forward to our cruise end september.maggie

• Like 2

Good afternoon from Barcelona.

First of all I apologize for my terrible English, I read and write here thanks to the invaluable help of my good friend the google translator.

We have been confined here for more than a month. My work is considered "essential", but my wife is a person at high risk for various pathologies and fortunately my company has taken this situation into account and I am working from home.

Every afternoon at 8 pm the whole city goes out to applaud the balconies of their houses in gratitude to the health personnel who are suffering a lot, the truth is that it is very exciting.

At the moment we continue with the state of maximum alert and confinement until April 26, thereafter the government will decide what to do. Probably from the 27th on, the "de-refinement" will begin in stages.

Dear friends of this place, take good care of yourselves.
A huge hug for all of you.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, edunava said:

First of all I apologize for my terrible English, I read and write here thanks to the invaluable help of my good friend the google translator.

We have been confined here for more than a month. My work is considered "essential", but my wife is a person at high risk for various pathologies and fortunately my company has taken this situation into account and I am working from home.

Every afternoon at 8 pm the whole city goes out to applaud the balconies of their houses in gratitude to the health personnel who are suffering a lot, the truth is that it is very exciting.

At the moment we continue with the state of maximum alert and confinement until April 26, thereafter the government will decide what to do. Probably from the 27th on, the "de-refinement" will begin in stages.

Good to hear from you! Stay safe.

• Like 2

Québec update: As of today, we have 688 deaths related to Covid-19 in the province. Most of these deaths (99%) involved people 60 years old and older. From memory, about half of the deaths also involved residents of long term care facilities for seniors.

Critical areas are mainly CHSLD located in the greater Montreal area.

About 2 000 specialized doctors, less busy due to the report of non urgent surgeries and medical exams, have responded to the call of our Premier to go in these CHSLDs to assist nurses and people caring for the elderly in their tasks. In addition, about 4 000 people and 125 members of the Canadian Armed Forces with medical knowledge have been also dispatched to help in these long term care facilities.

For us, the social distancing requirements remained unchanged. For exemple, a Brossard household who held a teenage group gathering resulted in participants receiving fines totalling $7 000 dollars. This said, some quasi essential service businesses were allowed to re-open, with the requirement for their employees and customers to respect social distancing. 

In short, we seem having reached the peak of the curb. Not out of the woods yet, but a light at the end of the tunnel is in sight.

• Like 1

Hello Edunava, we've not met in person but it's great to hear from others online. Curious what the word is in Spain. Any indications that international holiday travel will be discouraged until end August?

Here in the Netherlands the prime minister has said do not make holiday plans for the summer 🙁

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, kirbymuxloe said:

hello dutch clogs

you are the same cruise as us i think on 28th september from southampton.

currently we are stuck in spain. we have been here in murcia since 25th february and cannot get home. our flight cancelled on 21st march. we only had a days notice of lock down here and now had 10 cancelled flights....still dont know when we get home to uk.

its been hard but hopefully things will get better. lookiing forward to our cruise end september.maggie

Hi Maggie, Nice to hear from you.  My goodness, what accommodation do you have in Spain? I heard that all hotels, holiday lets etc  were ordered to close.  I don't know what to think how things will pan out by September. Have read that the Canary Islands may be overhauling all touristic activities, whatever that may be. Hopefully you will have been able to get back to the UK by then!

Keep in touch x

Gill

22 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

Hi Maggie, Nice to hear from you.  My goodness, what accommodation do you have in Spain? I heard that all hotels, holiday lets etc  were ordered to close.  I don't know what to think how things will pan out by September. Have read that the Canary Islands may be overhauling all touristic activities, whatever that may be. Hopefully you will have been able to get back to the UK by then!

Keep in touch x

Gill

Hi Gill

We are lucky we have our own house here in murcia as retired and spend a lot of time here in winter playing golf.  However never stayed this long before! so we are a lot better off than some who are stuck here. there are a very few hotels open for people who are stuck but costing them a fortune. you get one flight a day from barcelona or madrid but nothing down here at all. the flights get filled up but then travelling to barcelona or madrid not really recommended at the moment. our flight cancelled again we have two on the go now lookinig at mid may but realistically I think we will be here until mid june.

Hoping that things improve as was really looking forward to the cruise and never been to madeira or lisbon before.

hopefully we will get there...

kind regards maggie

22 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

2 hours ago, edunava said:

Hello!!!!

We have met on a cruise, right ????? Remember me .... Infinity ??? Constellation ??? Eclipse????......

Eclipse, Nov 2018. You did just the two weeks in the Mediterranean, Meg and I continued on to Buenos Aires. Much talk on the roll call before the voyage, but then I just saw you once or twice onboard.

Stan

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Eclipse, Nov 2018. You did just the two weeks in the Mediterranean, Meg and I continued on to Buenos Aires. Much talk on the roll call before the voyage, but then I just saw you once or twice onboard.

Stan

Sounds like a typical roll call.  Lots of activity but once on ship you meet just a few.

3 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

Yes!!! It is true, I have a very good memory of that cruise.

4 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

Hello Edunava, we've not met in person but it's great to hear from others online. Curious what the word is in Spain. Any indications that international holiday travel will be discouraged until end August?

Here in the Netherlands the prime minister has said do not make holiday plans for the summer 🙁

Well, I am hopeful that our B2B in September can do it.
It seems that from April 26th we will begin to be able to go out in stages here in Spain, so I am confident that we can enjoy our two consecutive cruises.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:34 AM, zitsky said:

Sounds like a typical roll call.  Lots of activity but once on ship you meet just a few.

True,  but every once in awhile you meet someone who becomes your cruise bestie.  We did 3 yrs ago on Harmony and still talk,  text, Facebook or send each other goodies all the time. We were finally supposed to be on the equinox  together  on march 21st.  We were so excited to be seeing each other and then this happened.  Hopeing their September cruise still comes here for a stop at port Canaveral because we live about 10 minutes from there and can't to spend the day with them.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jstcruizin said:

True,  but every once in awhile you meet someone who becomes your cruise bestie.  We did 3 yrs ago on Harmony and still talk,  text, Facebook or send each other goodies all the time. We were finally supposed to be on the equinox  together  on march 21st.  We were so excited to be seeing each other and then this happened.  Hopeing their September cruise still comes here for a stop at port Canaveral because we live about 10 minutes from there and can't to spend the day with them.

That sounds really nice.  Sorry your trip was canceled. 

On 4/18/2020 at 4:34 PM, zitsky said:

Yes, in part you are right, there are many people who only write in the forum to form groups for excursions, find private tours, compare prices, etc., then they do not care to make new friends, as we say here in Spain "Goodbye very good and if I have seen you I don't remember "(I don't know how Google will translate it, but I hope it is understood)

My wife and I have a great handicap with the language, our level of English is very basic, but the language of gestures accompanied by a smile is international, that is why we have made new friends almost every time of the many that we have sailed on a cruise.

A huge hug for everyone.

• Like 4

On 4/17/2020 at 2:00 PM, edunava said:

your English is Brilliant.

• Like 2

Greetings from mid-Missouri!   Lovely Missouri was one of the last states to issue a stay-at-home order state-wide, although many of the individual cities and counties have done so. 

I live about 100 miles SW of St. Louis, in a rural community.  Our town has about 20,000 people in it.  We have a regional hospital, the only one for 45+ miles in any direction.    Officially, the hospital says they have no one in-patient who has been diagnosed.  There are a handful of confirmed cases in the region, that includes surrounding counties.

Unofficially, I am positive it is here.  Virtually no one qualifies to be tested under the strict guidelines.  For example, I disembarked from Celebrity Reflection on Feb 21.  Spent the day around Ft. Lauderdale, including a lovely 2+ hour wait at the airport there, which was quite busy.  On March 2 I spiked a fever and felt flu-like.  Went to local Dr.  Was tested for influenza and that was negative, but I had 102 temp.  To be tested in MO at that point you had to have visited Asia or been around someone who was diagnosed with COVID-19.  I was back in the Dr a couple of weeks later, still with symptoms and was tested for strep, again negative.  Still don't qualify for a COVID-19 test.  I've fought this thing off and on since.  I will feel like I'm better, then experience that deep exhaustion.  I am asthmatic, have two different auto-immune diseases, and have definitely had SOMETHING.  

Luckily, in spite of my health concerns (which are generally well controlled), I seem to be beating whatever the heck I've had.  I want an antibody test to see if COVID is what I had, but of course I don't qualify for it, and it isn't available in my community anyway.

Meanwhile, I work from home every day since August of 2019, so that hasn't changed.  The local university sent all the students home in mid-March, so the community lost LOTS of people.  The restaurants are offering carry-out and delivery, as are many other stores.  

Our local Wal-Mart offers online ordering, if you can get a slot, so we do our best to do so once a week.  The local Kroger is a small, older store, so no online ordering.  

One of the studies out suggests that Vitamin D (the hormone your body makes in the sun) may help with this, as will Vitamin C.  I'm so glad we got our February cruise in before it all started.  

Our April, May and June travel has all been canceled.  We are waiting to see if a conference in August will cancel or continue, and if the U will open up for August  classes.  Our next cruise is planned for December, over the holidays out of Tampa.  We were looking forward to a refreshed Connie, but at this point, I'll be happy just to be able to sail at all!

Take care!

• Like 6

We’re in Norfolk, England, which is a rural and coastal area of the UK. We’re very lucky as there have been very few cases locally, but we’re under the same lockdown as the rest of the UK: stay at home except for essential work and shopping and for exercise once a day. Shopping has been difficult (shortages and restrictions in the supermarkets and near impossible to get deliveries if you can’t shop in person) but this is starting to improve. We have two small shops in our village which we’re very grateful for, though there have been occasions when we couldn’t get milk, for example. We have local volunteers doing shopping and delivering medicines for people who are unable to do this themselves. 

We are booked on the Constellation out of Venice in September, but I’m not optimistic ☹️

• Like 3

Langley British Columbia (suburb to Vancouver) here

We were in Titusville Florida (our winter home) when all this started... we were booked to fly home on March 20th... and lucily our flight which had turned into a repatriation flight actually brought us home... It waas a direct flight from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver and the huge jet brougth only 30 of us home... No Problem with Social Distancing!

Now we are back in BC where life is still pretty good... of course because we had been out of Canada we had to quarantine for 14 days... our Daughter did my grocery shopping and delivered ... 

Now however it is just the self isolation and social distancing... Grociery shopping here in the suburbs is OK - only Costco has an unreal line up the other stores it is basically walk in and buy whatever you need.. plexiglass separates the Buyer from the clerks and we are asked not to touch anything..i.e. conveyor belts  Not a shortage of anything really 

Luckily the weatherman has been with us providing mostly sunny mild days so we walk every day... always stopping at our favorite coffee shop for a Latte TO GO of course...  We also walk a zig zag pattern meaning we criss cross the street as we meet other walkers to maintain our social distancing...

On Saturday night we had a Lane Way Social - we all took our lawn chairs and sat at the end of our driveways on the lane and caught up with the neighborhood gossip... Did have to shout a lot so that those on the far end could hear...  

However we are all doing well here in suburbia Vancouver

Cheers

To all and stay safe

Wash your hands lots!

• Like 5

Here in Minnesota we were one of the early adopters of dealing with this horrible thing. At the time, many people were very upset with our governor for shutting down the economy. I believe that it helped us tremendously with this virus. As I type this, we have had 301 deaths and have recorded 4,181 total positive tests for the disease with about 46 percent recovered to the point they no longer need to be isolated. Sadly I am not seeing a lot of people wearing masks when they go out. Just don't get it.

Our governor has been working with the Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota to come up with a solution for increased testing. If it comes through as they plan, we will be able to do 5,000 tests a day by next week, with a goal of 20,000 a day.  They still have to work out some logistical issues. But when they do, I'm sure we will see a serge of new cases.

My wife and I both work from home, I have a voice over business that is slower than slow at the moment. My bride runs an in-home daycare, that is still running. We try not to overthink how easily one child could infect the whole place and remind parents to please be strict and don't do anything that could infect them. Parents are not allowed to enter the house when they drop off, or pick up. We also clean, and clean and...

We try to revisit our blessings everyday. It is very easy to have the negativity take hold. Luckily we make each other laugh a lot, and truly enjoy each others company.

I wish you only the best.

• Like 3

Algebralvr..,,

Hope you feel better and improve every day.  It takes time to come back.

On Feb 6th, we returned to suburban  NY  via SW Air from  Ft Myers Fl thru Baltimore. 2 days later I had the worst  "flu" ever  and dh followed 2 days after that.  We had enhanced flu shots this yr &  neg flu tests....and a very long recovery period..  No energy, the works. Now we are much better and definitely laying low!

Local drs now say they believe the Covid virus was in our area much earlier..No mass antibody testing yet so we may never know.  Hope to see you in Connie sometime! Fun in the sunshine!

Hope everyone stay safe & healthy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Ocean County, NJ where I live, the count is 6,375 cases,  with 397 deaths so far.  In my town, the count is 157 with the virus,  with 5 deaths..

Stay safe and stay healthy..

Here in Victoria BC Canada things are pretty much the same as the rest of British Columbia. Social distancing is the drill if the day. As BCHappyGal said Costco is the only place with stupid long lines, frankly there is nothing in there that would prompt me to wait in line for over an hour, people don't put enough value on their time.

We are not as heavily locked down as some parts of the world, so feel luck we can at least go for a drive and get a change of scenery.

We are so lucky in BC to have Dr. Bonny Henry as our Provincial Health Officer. Her briefings are calm, factual and informative. Her whole demeanor is that of leadership. We also have a Health Minister and Premier who are more than happy to follow the science and stand in the background. There doesn't seem to be any "hey look what I'm doing for you" attitude. We get a "here's where we are at and here's how you can help" message and if there is a treatment option or progress in treatment we get the information backed up by proper science.