Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cruzingnut

For Amsterdam WC passengers getting off/getting home and beyond

Recommended Posts

I wanted to start a new thread so we all can keep in touch and let each other know how getting home is/has been. Plus, after getting home what trials we had to overcome.  Shopping, not being able to go home yet if your residence has been rented out til May, etc.  Probably a big question will be is how all the reimbursing/refund business goes for everyone.

 

For us, we are flying out Monday at the crack of dawn.  We had originally planned on staying in AU and trying to weather it out as I really don’t fly.  Haven’t in well over 20 years and back then , the couple times I did, didn’t end well all all.  Tad of panic flying happening there...not a good thing.  
 

But, I have 25+ hours ahead of us and I’m armed with some meds and between that, my incredible DH, Business class on the shorter legs and First class on the 15 hour one, hopefully I’ll survive without going bonkers.
 

Safe travels to all, 

Linda R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I wanted to start a new thread so we all can keep in touch and let each other know how getting home is/has been. Plus, after getting home what trials we had to overcome.  Shopping, not being able to go home yet if your residence has been rented out til May, etc.  Probably a big question will be is how all the reimbursing/refund business goes for everyone.

 

For us, we are flying out Monday at the crack of dawn.  We had originally planned on staying in AU and trying to weather it out as I really don’t fly.  Haven’t in well over 20 years and back then , the couple times I did, didn’t end well all all.  Tad of panic flying happening there...not a good thing.  
 

But, I have 25+ hours ahead of us and I’m armed with some meds and between that, my incredible DH, Business class on the shorter legs and First class on the 15 hour one, hopefully I’ll survive without going bonkers.
 

Safe travels to all, 

Linda R.

You will be fine flying in business class on short legs and first class on the long leg.  Being able to stretch out, keeping your seat belt on, helps you relax and fall asleep from exhaustion.  Remember Monday at the crack of dawn is Sunday night in the US, so I suggest you go straight to sleep, if you can, without any meal first.  Then eat when you wake up and are hungry.   Then I watch heaps of movies.  Then I listen to music, when I want to sleep again.   That works for me and I'm frightened of flying (got better when I had children as I focussed on them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I wanted to start a new thread so we all can keep in touch and let each other know how getting home is/has been. Plus, after getting home what trials we had to overcome.  Shopping, not being able to go home yet if your residence has been rented out til May, etc.  Probably a big question will be is how all the reimbursing/refund business goes for everyone.

 

For us, we are flying out Monday at the crack of dawn.  We had originally planned on staying in AU and trying to weather it out as I really don’t fly.  Haven’t in well over 20 years and back then , the couple times I did, didn’t end well all all.  Tad of panic flying happening there...not a good thing.  
 

But, I have 25+ hours ahead of us and I’m armed with some meds and between that, my incredible DH, Business class on the shorter legs and First class on the 15 hour one, hopefully I’ll survive without going bonkers.
 

Safe travels to all, 

Linda R.

The Mrs. & self disembarked around 0930-ish and took a taxi to a nearby airport hotel. The fare was 65 AUD and traffic was pretty good since it was a SundayAM.

Checked into the accommodation and made our way to the bottle shop a block or so away and also had lunch at the Red Zion pub then back to the motel for a swim & brewski.

Our flights leaves tomorrow (Monday) AM @1130-ish to Brisbane then on to Honolulu then onto Atlanta and then on to Tampa where girl-child will pick us up to stay at her ‘digs’ with mate and grand babies for a week or so then a drive back to Northern Arizona.

Don’t look forward to the 36 hours of flights and layovers but what is one to do, no? We’ll see how the reimbursement goes with HAL (collecting as many receipts as possible, we’ll see what sticks).

And onward we go with yet another adventure.

All be well.

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got to the airport in Perth around 10:00 am and were able to change our 11:00 pm flight to a noon flight.  So instead of staying up all night on a flight we are now at a Sydney airport hotel.  Our flight to DFW leaves tomorrow at 1:00 pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still at the Perth airport (terminal 4) which is very nice -  I have investigated all of it.  Only a little over 4 hours until the flight to Sydney.

 

Kirk, that was a great idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for doing this.

I'm anxious to read all about your adventures, and that all of you get home safely, soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PrescottBob...et al...not going to be easy drive from FL to AZ...not many places to stop for rest stops (ie bathrooms!)...takeout food only. Not much food in stores. This is not the same country you left from. Parks closed, etc. Good luck to you both...glad we missed this one... see you on ‘22😁🛳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a good idea, starting this thread.  I'll be here, cheering all of you on to your homes!

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Our flights leaves tomorrow (Monday) AM @1130-ish to Brisbane then on to Honolulu then onto Atlanta and then on to Tampa where girl-child will pick us up to stay at her ‘digs’ with mate and grand babies for a week or so then a drive back to Northern Arizona.

 

 

Bob,

 

Is there any advise to self-isolate after your flights? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adventure piled on top of adventure!  As janmcn said, things are not the same anymore.  People don't say "Have a nice day" anymore, it's "Stay safe!"

 

Safe travels to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We got to the airport in Perth around 10:00 am and were able to change our 11:00 pm flight to a noon flight.  So instead of staying up all night on a flight we are now at a Sydney airport hotel.  Our flight to DFW leaves tomorrow at 1:00 pm.

Well Done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

I am still at the Perth airport (terminal 4) which is very nice -  I have investigated all of it.  Only a little over 4 hours until the flight to Sydney.

 

Kirk, that was a great idea!

I hope you have some craft with you to help you pass the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, prescottbob said:

The Mrs. & self disembarked around 0930-ish and took a taxi to a nearby airport hotel. The fare was 65 AUD and traffic was pretty good since it was a SundayAM.

Checked into the accommodation and made our way to the bottle shop a block or so away and also had lunch at the Red Zion pub then back to the motel for a swim & brewski.

Our flights leaves tomorrow (Monday) AM @1130-ish to Brisbane then on to Honolulu then onto Atlanta and then on to Tampa where girl-child will pick us up to stay at her ‘digs’ with mate and grand babies for a week or so then a drive back to Northern Arizona.

Don’t look forward to the 36 hours of flights and layovers but what is one to do, no? We’ll see how the reimbursement goes with HAL (collecting as many receipts as possible, we’ll see what sticks).

And onward we go with yet another adventure.

All be well.

Bob

You win the prize for the most interesting routing for your flights home - Brisbane to Honolulu to Atlanta to Tampa!  $65 for taxi to airport was a good deal since cruise line was charging $59 pp!  Hope all your flights go smoothly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I wanted to start a new thread so we all can keep in touch and let each other know how getting home is/has been. Plus, after getting home what trials we had to overcome.  Shopping, not being able to go home yet if your residence has been rented out til May, etc.  Probably a big question will be is how all the reimbursing/refund business goes for everyone.

 

For us, we are flying out Monday at the crack of dawn.  We had originally planned on staying in AU and trying to weather it out as I really don’t fly.  Haven’t in well over 20 years and back then , the couple times I did, didn’t end well all all.  Tad of panic flying happening there...not a good thing.  
 

But, I have 25+ hours ahead of us and I’m armed with some meds and between that, my incredible DH, Business class on the shorter legs and First class on the 15 hour one, hopefully I’ll survive without going bonkers.
 

Safe travels to all, 

Linda R.

Great ides to start this thread.  I thought to myself why am I following this thread?  Then I realised I have received so much pleasure reading WC blogs, over the years, I want to make sure all the WC passengers get home safely.  This is a WC no-one will forget!  However, I'm finding, on a plus side, is everyone is nicer. 

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also been following various blogs on the world cruise.  I hope to go on a world cruise someday and I really enjoyed reading about your daily adventures.  I also liked knowing what was for dinner each evening.  Sorry the cruise ended this way and hope everyone gets home safely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, prescottbob said:

The Mrs. & self disembarked around 0930-ish and took a taxi to a nearby airport hotel. The fare was 65 AUD and traffic was pretty good since it was a SundayAM.

Checked into the accommodation and made our way to the bottle shop a block or so away and also had lunch at the Red Zion pub then back to the motel for a swim & brewski.

 

I'm glad you were able to check into a hotel.  I thought Australia was only allowing direct passage to the airport and immediate departure, and am pleased you were able to do that.

It seems like borderforce Australia is working somewhat at cross purposes with the government requiring people to go directly to the airport but not providing departure windows that work with the flight schedule.  Have a safe and bearable flight home.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm glad you were able to check into a hotel.  I thought Australia was only allowing direct passage to the airport and immediate departure, and am pleased you were able to do that.

It seems like borderforce Australia is working somewhat at cross purposes with the government requiring people to go directly to the airport but not providing departure windows that work with the flight schedule.  Have a safe and bearable flight home.

 

Roy

Australia is a federation of States, with a Federal Government.  The WA Premier announced that all WC passengers on ships redeployed to Australia must transfer direct to the airport or stay on the ship until they had flights home.  This was for public safety in WA (his responsibility).  This was a wise decision because Australia has a number of infected people, off cruise ships, who were allowed to disembark in Sydney.  One infected couple off Ruby Princess is from NT.  NT has closed its borders to try to protect their high population of vulnerable aboriginals.  Another infected person off the Ruby Princess, returned to Tasmania, also locked down to protect their small population.  These are just a couple of examples to demonstrate the high price Australia is paying for allowing cruise ships to visit Australia to disembark passengers, after cruise ships were banned from visiting Australia.

The Federal Government (? border force) over ruled the WA Government.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My final flight will board within the hour.  By the time I get home I will have flown about 22 hours and spent an equal number in airports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 5:22 AM, MMDown Under said:

Australia is a federation of States, with a Federal Government.  The WA Premier announced that all WC passengers on ships redeployed to Australia must transfer direct to the airport or stay on the ship until they had flights home.  This was for public safety in WA (his responsibility).  This was a wise decision because Australia has a number of infected people, off cruise ships, who were allowed to disembark in Sydney.  One infected couple off Ruby Princess is from NT.  NT has closed its borders to try to protect their high population of vulnerable aboriginals.  Another infected person off the Ruby Princess, returned to Tasmania, also locked down to protect their small population.  These are just a couple of examples to demonstrate the high price Australia is paying for allowing cruise ships to visit Australia to disembark passengers, after cruise ships were banned from visiting Australia.

The Federal Government (? border force) over ruled the WA Government.  

The Amsterdam had been in Australian waters for over 14 days prior to docking in Freemantle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stratheden said:

The Amsterdam had been in Australian waters for over 14 days prior to docking in Freemantle. 

Yes, I know.  I follow a number of WC blogs.  I think that is why the Federal Government over ruled the State Government, as it was low risk any of the passengers would have had the virus.  I haven't had a chance to check how many days from their last port of call in Australia and their arrival in Fremantle?  Smart move by Amsterdam to cancel all ports from Darwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scrapnana said:

My final flight will board within the hour.  By the time I get home I will have flown about 22 hours and spent an equal number in airports.

Glad the ordeal is nearly over. 22 hours in the air is gruelling plus airport I dread it everytime I fly to Europe as its the norm for us Aussies one never gets used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Glad the ordeal is nearly over. 22 hours in the air is gruelling plus airport I dread it everytime I fly to Europe as its the norm for us Aussies one never gets used to it.

Sadly, she's projected to be 17 minutes late but at least she's in the air.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...