For Amsterdam WC passengers getting off/getting home and beyond

cruzingnut

Goodness. I thought it was just my failing cognitive skills, such as they are.

Aboard ship the refund link was the 125% future cruise credit or the 50/50 refunding.

My TA sent another link page a few days later that had the 125% thingy but had a 100% refund option only.

So confusing.

And so it goes as another episode of the Twilight Zone films in real time.

Seriously, all be well.

Bob

• Like 1

If you read further down on the web site it says as follows:

NOTE: For guests who recently sailed on an affected or shortened voyage and were directed to this page to choose your compensation option, the examples below are for fully canceled cruises and will not exactly match your offers. Please enter your information where directed and select "Option 1" for the higher value future cruise credit offer you received, or "Option 2" for your refund plus future cruise credit offer as outlined in the letter you received.
This would seem to suggest that the 50% amount defined in the letter is correct.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, prescottbob said:

Goodness. I thought it was just my failing cognitive skills, such as they are.

Aboard ship the refund link was the 125% future cruise credit or the 50/50 refunding.

My TA sent another link page a few days later that had the 125% thingy but had a 100% refund option only.

So confusing.

And so it goes as another episode of the Twilight Zone films in real time.

Seriously, all be well.

Bob

Here are the options as downloaded from the website a few minutes ago:

The key question is what is the definition of "use"

I figure once we get the same answer from 5 or 6 different HAL reps and/or Travel Agents it will probably be correct.    I sent an email to guest relations - we'll see what and when I get an answer.   

Please select your choice:

Option #1, POSTPONE (higher value)

Defer your refund and receive a future cruise credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid plus an onboard credit of $250 USD/per person, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2021. Non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line will be refunded via the method of payment used to purchase the services.

Option #2, Cancel (lower value)
If you do not choose the 125% future cruise credit plus $250 USD/per person onboard credit, a 100% refund of all monies paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment. This includes Holland America Line’s Flight Ease air, Cancellation Protection Plan, Holland America Line pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees, and port expenses back to the original form of payment.

This is a clarification regarding the Option 1 Future Cruise Credit ("FCC"). If a guest elects Option 1 and does not use his/her FCC and wants a refund thereafter of the original base cruise fare paid, between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021, the guest can request Holland America Line to exchange the FCC for a refund of their base cruise fare paid. Refund will be issued within approximately 60 days from request date. Requests accepted via email to guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. In no situation shall a guest be entitled to a refund greater than the base cruise fare paid. Guests selecting Option 1 and requesting a refund as set forth herein will not be entitled to any other compensation/credit. Guests selecting Option 2 shall not be entitled to any additional refund (other than the initial refund as set forth in Option 2) at any time. All FCC’s expire on December 31, 2021 and are subject to published terms, conditions, and restrictions. Offer and its terms are subject to change.
Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Has anyone had their credit card credited or debited?  I had a credit which has not shown on my credit card.  Of course, I never received a copy of my final statement.  I was assured by the front desk that I would be entitled to a credit.  When I asked for a statement in writing, I was told, “you trust me, don’t you?”

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here are the options as downloaded from the website a few minutes ago:

The key question is what is the definition of "use"

I figure once we get the same answer from 5 or 6 different HAL reps and/or Travel Agents it will probably be correct.    I sent an email to guest relations - we'll see what and when I get an answer.   

Please select your choice:

Option #1, POSTPONE (higher value)

Defer your refund and receive a future cruise credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid plus an onboard credit of $250 USD/per person, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2021. Non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line will be refunded via the method of payment used to purchase the services.

Option #2, Cancel (lower value)
If you do not choose the 125% future cruise credit plus $250 USD/per person onboard credit, a 100% refund of all monies paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment. This includes Holland America Line’s Flight Ease air, Cancellation Protection Plan, Holland America Line pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees, and port expenses back to the original form of payment.

This is a clarification regarding the Option 1 Future Cruise Credit ("FCC"). If a guest elects Option 1 and does not use his/her FCC and wants a refund thereafter of the original base cruise fare paid, between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021, the guest can request Holland America Line to exchange the FCC for a refund of their base cruise fare paid. Refund will be issued within approximately 60 days from request date. Requests accepted via email to guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. In no situation shall a guest be entitled to a refund greater than the base cruise fare paid. Guests selecting Option 1 and requesting a refund as set forth herein will not be entitled to any other compensation/credit. Guests selecting Option 2 shall not be entitled to any additional refund (other than the initial refund as set forth in Option 2) at any time. All FCC’s expire on December 31, 2021 and are subject to published terms, conditions, and restrictions. Offer and its terms are subject to change.

The letter we got on the ship said that the descriptions on the website were written to apply cruises that were fully cancelled and will not exactly match our offers. I've attached a scanned of the letter we got so hopefully that works 

Captains Letter on End of Cruise 002.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snoop Sister said:

Has anyone had their credit card credited or debited?  I had a credit which has not shown on my credit card.  Of course, I never received a copy of my final statement.  I was assured by the front desk that I would be entitled to a credit.  When I asked for a statement in writing, I was told, “you trust me, don’t you?”

We haven't seen anything for the on-board credit yet and it was a significant credit for us since so many shore excursions were cancelled. I was hoping it would be applied quickly to cover the airfare we booked on one of the cards but.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hygge! said:

Very nicely worded!  But one thought on flights home - many of us can tolerate short flights in economy but it is a different story completely when it comes to long international flights.  The limited reimbursement from HAL to get home from half way around the world kept us from booking a business flight but we will be “eating” the cost of a premium economy flight over the pacific.  Having just finished our flights coming home and paying a significant fare to get a premium economy seat for the flight over the Pacific I am now slowly recovering from painful back spasms (6th day) due to the stress and cramped space.  I am grateful that it did not spasm during the flight in that we would have been stuck somewhere from home. And we are very grateful to be home!  Will we cruise again? Definitely yes! Will we book through HAL for air - maybe? Will we book business class through HAL on a short flight - that’s the question I can’t answer right now.  We pray for all to be safe and healthy.  We pray for those who are still at sea.  We pray for those who have lost loved ones.  And on a final note - thanks to the MS Amsterdam crew and captain for an enjoyable and memorable half world cruise.  Day 6 of our 14 day self quarantine.  

I understand the back issue.  Forty Four hours and my back was shot.  Because of Alaska's strict (and correct) quarantine rules I cannot do the PT in the pool that I usually do after long flights and I am not permitted off my property so i can't really walk it out.  That is why I was so frustrated with the Platinum Protection Package.  As I read the policy it would have covered business return because my flight from FLL to Alaska was first class.  But they said this was not covered by "Trip Interruption."  I wish I could get a refund on the Platinum Protection plan. -- Rich McClear

• Like 1

If you must use your credit before January 2022 (seems unlikely to me)....perhaps consider these options:

79/74 -day Grand Africa    Amsterdam departing Oct.3, 2021

74-day Grand South America & Antarctica   Amsterdam (first leg of 2021 WC) departing  January 4, 2021

Holland America does have Care Teams....maybe not in Australia.

Surely the $59 will be credited back in some form or another.  Most likely as FCC in excess of that amount.

David

I state my personal opinions on Cruise Critic.  I do not represent Holland America Line.

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Does HAL have a fully trained "Care Team"?  I have read of these teams flying in to assist in times of emergencies in the past.  For many people who do WC, the attraction is they don't need to fly. These people are not going to be skilled on arranging flights - working the system.   To compound matters, Perth is not a major international flight hub.  

A "Care Team" is what I was referring to when I said there were companies that specialize in repatriations and evacuations.  I worked for several aid agencies that contracted with USAID or State and they either had contracts with these companies or had one of these companies come in, help the agency develop a massive repatriation plan and provide training to home office staff in how to do this.  

22 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

If you must use your credit before January 2022 (seems unlikely to me)....perhaps consider these options:

74-day Grand South America & Antarctica   Amsterdam (first leg of 2021 WC) departing  January 4, 2021

Are you quoting from somewhere on this? I was previously unaware the Grand Africa would be given in 2021 and the websites I've seen say Amsterdam will end a 13-day repositioning from Montreal in FLL on 10/22/21.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SharonN said:

And here's the Future Cruise Credit letter which states the credit needs to be applied to a booking by Dec 2021 and the cruise does not need to be depart within that timeframe.

Future Cruise Credit Letter 001.jpg

Thank you for posting these.  I have been going through my stuff, packed in haste, and have not been able to find them.  I appreciate this.  I have sent it to my TA for future use in bookings. -- Rich

My information is from the Holland America website.......subset "Plan"....."Find a Cruise"...."Sail to".....

alternatively, you can choose by ship "Amsterdam".

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

1 hour ago, Snoop Sister said:

We haven't received our credit posted to our credit card. There was a difference on the paper statement and the navigator statement for taxes, fees & port expenses adjustment that amounted to $321.06 difference in credit amount. (the paper version was less) Does anyone know which credit amount is correct? $995.18 or $674.12? The paper statement reported the last 4 digits of the credit card on file. Be aware that they had a data breach last year so maybe that caused some data problems?

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

Holland America does have Care Teams....maybe not in Australia.

Surely the $59 will be credited back in some form or another.  Most likely as FCC in excess of that amount.

David

I state my personal opinions on Cruise Critic.  I do not represent Holland America Line.

I think you meant to say Grand Africa departing October 2020. In October 2021 the Amsterdam is repositioning from New England/Canada and then doing the Amazon in November.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NormTheSailor said:

We haven't received our credit posted to our credit card. There was a difference on the paper statement and the navigator statement for taxes, fees & port expenses adjustment that amounted to $321.06 difference in credit amount. (the paper version was less) Does anyone know which credit amount is correct? $995.18 or $674.12? The paper statement reported the last 4 digits of the credit card on file. Be aware that they had a data breach last year so maybe that caused some data problems?

The front desk verified that the Navigator figure was correct.

14 hours ago, Captain Ricky said:

I wish I could get a refund on the Platinum Protection plan

What was the reason given that it didn't cover the interruption? In my reading of the policy, it seemed like it didn't have a lot of exclusions you normally see.

45 minutes ago, mrmoviezombie said:

What was the reason given that it didn't cover the interruption? In my reading of the policy, it seemed like it didn't have a lot of exclusions you normally see.

Page 14: "Coverage does not include default of a Participating Organization or other organization that results in a loss of services."

1 hour ago, Fredspak said:

Page 14: "Coverage does not include default of a Participating Organization or other organization that results in a loss of services."

Did HAL rep. tell you it wasn't covered, or did the insurance carrier tell you?  The reason I asked is that the HAL reps don't always know what they are talking about.  It is the insurance company who is underwriting the policy that has the last say.  I once asked a HAL rep if their policy would cover non-refundable deposits in the event of cancellation, and she said it would not.  I called the insurance company, and their rep point out that nonrefundable costs were specifically included.

18 hours ago, Snoop Sister said:

We have been debited for the amt on our statement plus $495 for our luggage shipment.  We selected Option 2 (50% cash/50 FCC) but have not seen that.  I suspect that might take a while.  I just hope they don’t run out of cash.

17 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

David

No it won’t.  We can put it on our expenses but since virtually everyone is exceeding the $1,250/pp we are out of luck.  Flights alone pretty much wiped out our allotted amount.

1 hour ago, Fredspak said:

I was merely quoting the actual text from the on-line insurance policy description.

Then it might be worthwhile to call the insurance company directly.  You may well be correct in your reading of that provision, but it certainly seems to negate a major concern for the need of insurance.  "Buy this insurance but the cruise company can decide not to to sail . . . so sorry, you're out of luck."  Doesn't make sense, but I am not a major fan of insurance companies.

Edited by Tampa Girl
Left relevant word.

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Did HAL rep. tell you it wasn't covered, or did the insurance carrier tell you?  The reason I asked is that the HAL reps don't always know what they are talking about.  It is the insurance company who is underwriting the policy that has the last say.  I once asked a HAL rep if their policy would cover non-refundable deposits in the event of cancellation, and she said it would not.  I called the insurance company, and their rep point out that nonrefundable costs were specifically included.

I called Nationwide Insurance (the carrier for the HAL PPP) and the agent told me it was not covered BUT I should still file a claim and the agent sent me a link. So I will file.  The link has my booking number on the URL so it will not help you.  I would call the number on the policy and get a link to file.