No cruising until a vaccine?

9 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

I am sure a lot of law breakers, criminals and up to no good terrorists would. What makes you think they won't?

Low chances of anyone crossing.   I'm sure a criminal who robbed a bank will think "just got me 10,000, gotta lay low.  I know, I'll go to a country with a massive pandemic, catch said virus and end up in a hospital with no insurance and have to pay $100,000 go get healthy again...."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, young_ens said:

Low chances of anyone crossing.   I'm sure a criminal who robbed a bank will think "just got me 10,000, gotta lay low.  I know, I'll go to a country with a massive pandemic, catch said virus and end up in a hospital with no insurance and have to pay $100,000 go get healthy again...."

No, those are the people that get their medical care for free in the U.S.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

No, those are the people that get their medical care for free in the U.S.

Of course they would.....    

Editorial cartoon summing up all law-abiding Canadians (I love the us resident's reply):   https://mobile.twitter.com/deAdder/status/1243524743246090240?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, young_ens said:

Of course they would.....    

Editorial cartoon summing up all law-abiding Canadians (I love the us resident's reply):   https://mobile.twitter.com/deAdder/status/1243524743246090240?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Sorry if you have some sort of problem with the U.S. I've always had a lot of love for Canada.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 9:41 PM, young_ens said:

Read a bad reference, numbers are 20 million to 50 million world-wide deaths!   This flu had a mortality rate of 2 to 10 percent (records are sketchy apparently)

This covid is not too much different from the flu for mortality, somewhere around 1 percent.   It seems higher because it's so contagious and when droves inundate the health care system, it's is overwhelming and not everyone can be looked after. There are just not enough ICU beds for all the sick and certainly not enough breathing machines needed for the 5% who have the most severe symptoms.  

Better bone up on your facts again

• Like 2

I would give this lock down another 2-3 weeks at most, then people are just going to start going out again.  We have only been at this a week and people are already getting cabin fever.  Irresponsible, yes, but in my opinion, its going to happen.  As for cruising before the vaccine, they can control that a bit better, but by the time that happens, there will be no cruise lines left so i dont think thats realistic either.  Going to be an interest next couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 20165 said:

I would give this lock down another 2-3 weeks at most, then people are just going to start going out again.  We have only been at this a week and people are already getting cabin fever.  Irresponsible, yes, but in my opinion, its going to happen.  As for cruising before the vaccine, they can control that a bit better, but by the time that happens, there will be no cruise lines left so i dont think thats realistic either.  Going to be an interest next couple of weeks. 

Agree 100% and just posted near identical in another thread. No business with expensive machines like a cruise line has can survive 18 months for a vaccine. If we do let things go too early and big break outs start again we put right back to square 1. Sets us back miles and makes things worse.

• Like 1

A couple of simple requests.  Ignore if you wish but I need to vent.  For my mental health!  Can't we please just get over all of this Red state vs. Blue state nonsense in the US?  We are all people dealing with a pandemic regardless of our politics.  And for those of you outside the USA  who continually take shots at us and our politicians - maybe look in a mirror at your own countries.  Thank You.  I feel better.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Impossible it was Corona. The way it spreads and kills, RI would have been the epicenter first, not China

There are other strains of Carona, there may have well been a strain in RI last fall.  We had a resident with a Carona virus in January, but not COVID.

15 hours ago, young_ens said:

I was amused with his militarize the border idea.....  Like any Canadian would cross the border now!  

100% agree.  No way, no how... even if the border was open for legal crossings.

13 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I am sure a lot of law breakers, criminals and up to no good terrorists would. What makes you think they won't?

It was promoted two different ways by the US government.  

The original one to the Canadian Government, was to set up troops to prevent illegal border crossings from Canada during the pandemic.  Our border is the longest undefended border in the world.  That being said it is monitored by the American Government.  in 2018, 960 illegals were headed south. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/illegal-border-crossings-canada-quietly-rising-data-shows-n981131   For perspective there were 25,000 a year coming into Canada illegally from the US.

The second way it was promoted was during a press conference.  When asked, the President answered that soldiers would be there to stop dumping of steel China through Canada and tariffs. IMO it was a soapbox stomping, as there was no mention of illegal border crossers.  

The Canada/US border is closed to all but commercial goods, diplomats and individuals returning home to their respective countries.  A for commercial goods, each transport truck has waybills and documentation of goods.  All tariffed goods crossing the border on a daily basis are known.  There isn't a farmer in Manitoba, hauling a steel beam through a field in the middle of the night on a hay wagon, trying to get a leg up on the US government. 

As for lawbreakers, criminals and terrorists... after 9/11 (close to 2 decades ago) if there was concern about these types of crossings the border would have been manned by soldiers then.  They did increase monitoring at that time though.

As of yesterday it was reported that the US government had backed down from the idea of setting up troops.

13 hours ago, young_ens said:

Low chances of anyone crossing.   I'm sure a criminal who robbed a bank will think "just got me 10,000, gotta lay low.  I know, I'll go to a country with a massive pandemic, catch said virus and end up in a hospital 

Exactly.  

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

well, this situation with Holland America isnt going to help the cruise industry.  They have a long road ahead to get people, outside this forum, to come back to cruising.  4 dead and 138 sick is a bad look for the industry...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/27/coronavirus-4-dead-138-sick-holland-america-cruise-limbo/2927031001/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Now isn't the time for a US vs Canada debate.  We share a continent for God's sake.  Drop the politics and let's try to get through this nightmare.

Tell this to the hockey fans.

22 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

There are other strains of Carona, there may have well been a strain in RI last fall.  We had a resident with a Carona virus in January, but not COVID.

FYI, the virus is SARS-CoV-2.  The disease is COVID 19.

There are LOTS of corona viruses out there.  Including SARS and MERS.  And also some common colds.

• Like 1

BTW, while the US may lead the world in total cases, if you do the math to cases per 100,000 people, we are about 10th on the list.

Switzerland is number 1.

And also, while we may have a lot of cases, were are WAY behind on deaths, per 100,000 or per confirmed case.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

BTW, while the US may lead the world in total cases, if you do the math to cases per 100,000 people, we are about 10th on the list.

This is why I like to use the Worldometers web site to look at the data.  In addition to the raw numbers, they show cases and deaths per million people of population.  Adds another perspective:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Like 1

If we are able to develop and antibody test, it would show who has already had it and recovered. Those people should be safe to cruise. South Korea has a rapid COVID-19 test also which can give you result within minutes. We are working on one in the states. Doesn't have to be the end of cruising, but yes, it will take awhile to recover and we need to be smart about it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mellowjourney said:

If we are able to develop and antibody test, it would show who has already had it and recovered. Those people should be safe to cruise. South Korea has a rapid COVID-19 test also which can give you result within minutes. We are working on one in the states. Doesn't have to be the end of cruising, but yes, it will take awhile to recover and we need to be smart about it. 

Abbott Laboratories apparently has developed one and they will be available next week. Positive results in 5 minutes, negative in 13 minutes. Here is the article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/28/coronavirus-fda-authorizes-abbott-labs-fast-portable-covid-test/2932766001/

• Like 1

Vaccine may not be a cure!  Remember, we have a flu "shot" which is not a vaccine.  Plenty of people get the flu even though they had a flu shot.  Why do we think we will have a Covid 19 vaccine and not just a "shot" like for the flu?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tampadee said:

Vaccine may not be a cure!  Remember, we have a flu "shot" which is not a vaccine.  Plenty of people get the flu even though they had a flu shot.  Why do we think we will have a Covid 19 vaccine and not just a "shot" like for the flu?

If the flu "shot" is not a vaccine then please educate me on what it is. And vaccines are nor cures... they are a prevention.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

If the flu "shot" is not a vaccine then please educate me on what it is.

I'm just saying that the flu shot only covers certain strains of the flu, not every type.  

Definitely, it would be better than nothing.

Just now, tampadee said:

I'm just saying that the flu shot only covers certain strains of the flu, not every type.  

Definitely, it would be better than nothing.

I'm just saying that your post was about as inaccurate as you can get.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, tampadee said:

The flu shot IS a vaccine.

The reason it doesn't always work is because there are a LOT of flu strains.  Each year, they make a prediction (guess) about what are the most likely 3 strains will be.  This is done in early summer, so they have time to produce the vaccine.

Sometimes they get it wrong.  So the most common strain that year might not be covered by the vaccine.

This is why some years, if they figure it out early enough, there will be a different vaccine, and they will tell people to get the new one, even if they had the other.

Most other diseases  do not have so many strains and do not mutate that quickly.  This is why vaccines for tetnus, small pox, polio, measles, chickenpox, whooping cough, Hepatitis, and many other diseases do work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1