How is life in Australia now?

allelect

We would like to keep with our plans to visit Australia, but we wonder how life is being affected in the country. Are people afraid to go out to restaurants for example? Is travel coming to a standstill?

Edited by Host Bonjour
merge error

3 hours ago, allelect said:

We would like to keep with our plans to visit Australia, but we wonder how life is being affected in the country. Are people afraid to go out to restaurants for example? Is travel coming to a standstill?

Toilet paper panic-buying has reached Black Friday craziness!

2 hours ago, allelect said:

Our plan is to come early April for a couple of weeks.

I would go ahead with it . It’s business as usual here.

Make sure you have insurance,They worst case you could be quarantined for 2 weeks in a 5 Star harbour view hotel room.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:26 PM, allelect said:

Our plan is to come early April for a couple of weeks.

You might consider deferring your visit to another time.  It is not a good time for taking long haul flights. 

I guess it depends what you plan to do in Australia.  Many events such as sporting events, garden shows, Royal Easter Show in Sydney, entertainment etc. have been cancelled.  

Yes, people are still going to restaurants.  Just not as many.  I went myself last night. 

My daughters plan to travel in rural and regional Australia, after cancelling a planned visit to Europe next month. 

Latest update.  Our PM has announced today that all overseas visitors to Australia from midnight tonight must self isolate for 14 days.  N Z  PM has announced the same rules for visitors to NZ.  These are measures to try to slow the spread of the coronavirus.  

On 3/11/2020 at 5:23 AM, Chiliburn said:

I would go ahead with it . It’s business as usual here.

Make sure you have insurance,They worst case you could be quarantined for 2 weeks in a 5 Star harbour view hotel room.

Most travel insurance has no coverage for a pandemic/epidemic.

Australia is now gearing up for lockdown.  WA, SA and Victoria are currently closing their borders.  NT and Tassie have already closed their borders.  Only borders still open at the moment are between NSW and Old., and that could change.   Who would have known what a different place Australia would be since you asked your question on 11/3.