Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Security Officer with the orange life vest, white shirt and face mask Good to see Joe doing OK

John, thank you so much for being a voice of calm and reason on this thread.  I've been watching "from afar" while very busy with work and family and, so when you posted something I knew I could trust it.  Several others, too, but your posts especially have been very helpful.  Thank you.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RevNeal said:

John, thank you so much for being a voice of calm and reason on this thread.  I've been watching "from afar" while very busy with work and family and, so when you posted something I knew I could trust it.  Several others, too, but your posts especially have been very helpful.  Thank you.

Thank you Sir! Take care and be safe during this time of crisis!

• Like 5

I doubt I can get a decent photo from here, but there are 7 or 8 ships off Miami. They're easier to see at night and you can make the out with binoculars.

The same is happening off Fort Lauderdale.  I'm not sure how many are off Fort Lauderdale, because we face south and I can't see them without leaving the bunker.

The ships come back to port every once in a while to refuel and re-provision. The Carnival Sunshine spends most days & nights at Terminal 2 in PEV.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I'm surprised there aren't more than three ambulances.

There was a wide shot earlier that showed a whole row of ambulances waiting, so probably just allowing a certain number in at a time. 

Just now, Vict0riann said:

Would that be the Security Officer who was out on the gangway, Copper?

Not the last guy. The SECO is still wearing his life vest - SOP when the ship comes in and you're standing at the open shell door where the gangway is connected

• Like 2

Just now, POA1 said:

The Carnival Sunshine spends most days & nights at Terminal 2 in PEV.

I have noticed that as well and wonder why Carnival Sunshine.  I think CCL contributed some $$ to have that berth extended.  But, why not a rotation of the other Carnival ships?

43 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

10 critically ill pax going to Broward Health.

4 critically ill pax going to Hialeah. 

Ambulances lined up.

They must have triaged. Broward health is close.  Hialeah is 25 miles away.  Are they by chance helicoptering them?

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I doubt I can get a decent photo from here, but there are 7 or 8 ships off Miami. They're easier to see at night and you can make the out with binoculars.

The same is happening off Fort Lauderdale.  I'm not sure how many are off Fort Lauderdale, because we face south and I can't see them without leaving the bunker.

The ships come back to port every once in a while to refuel and re-provision. The Carnival Sunshine spends most days & nights at Terminal 2 in PEV.

if you look at marinetraffic.com, you can see all the ships between Florida and the Bahamas (blue icons)

14FEB810-7BB9-4DC4-9191-BCD65CEDCF64.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, charmed1959 said:

They must have triaged. Broward health is close.  Hialeah is 25 miles away.  Are they by chance helicoptering them?

Don't know but I doubt it.  The reference to Hialeah was made during the Mayor's interview.  And yes, I know it is far.

Edited by bluesea321

5 hours ago, cdwise said:

There aren’t. Single largest group by nationality are US at 306, Canadians, ay 265, UK at 228, AU/NZ at 120 the remainder of all nationalities are less than just the number of US citizens. 

The ship left Ft Lauderdale I think in Feb. Disembarked some  and took on new passengers March 7 in Buenos Aires. Next scheduled itinerary passenger change for those not doing the around the horn full SA cruise was to be Santiago Chile March 23. Holland along with other cruise lines shut down and started trying to get passengers home before reaching Santiago but Chile refused to let the passengers disembark and fly home from either the port before San Antonio or San Antonio so the ship headed straight for its final destination of Ft Lauderdale where it had been due to dock April 7. Asking ports it had been scheduled to stop at along the way to allow them to dock so passengers could get home sooner. Nobody let them dock and it took a lot of pressure to get Panama to let them through the canal. Which was transited in record breaking time. 

When these folks left whether from Ft Lauderdale or to board in Buenos Aires in early March there were no travel advisories for their itinerary only fro Asia and even then not all Asian countries. So let’s quit applying hindsight and get people home. 

Excellent summation. 

Time to man up and get these people home.

• Like 1

What's standing on the dock right now, among others, is private/contract security for the port (white shirts), USPH (dark blue), CBP (dark blue), ambulance crew and some suits/dude in the red sweater. At least they're wearing facemasks. Oh and tenSECO just came out again

• Like 3