Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bouhunter

Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

Recommended Posts

6:11 pm, first ambulance with patient just pulled away. 

 

Looks like what we thought might be a helicopter footage was actually a drone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Copper10-8 - does the doctor have to accompany each patient off the ship in a case like this?

 

I injured my knee last fall and the ship’s doctor walked me off to the port agent to be transported for an ultrasound.   So maybe usual protocol, but who knows in this situation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The first of ten; May the Lord bless you and keep you safe! God speed for a full recovery! 😪

 

Amen

 

 

 

1 minute ago, sakigemcam said:

Copper can you please explain these acronyms? Thank you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Copper10-8 - does the doctor have to accompany each patient off the ship in a case like this?

 

Sorry, misunderstood! Off the ship to the ambulance, Yes! In the ambulance to the hosp, No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

No Gerry, not necessary, especially since the hospital is so close. Also, there would not be enough doctors for ten patients. Under "normal" situations, this would be carried out by Fire paramedics from Broward County fire station 6 which is located on the ground of Port Everglades. Those guys/gals are very familiar with cruise ship medevacs/nature of the beast. It would not surprise me if these were paramedic ambulances by AMR, as opposed to basic life support ambos

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear - does the doctor need to accompany each patient off the ship to the waiting ambulance, then walk up the gangway to accompany the next person?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A few of the ships offshore in Miami can be seen in the background.

 

image.png.f4565c803230688a7b607e021d171bac.png

 

image.png.504b2d591f1f876663c36547d4f70ed2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

No Gerry, not necessary, especially since the hospital is so close. Also, there would not be enough doctors for ten patients. Under "normal" situations, this would be carried out by Fire paramedics from Broward County fire station 6 which is located on the ground of Port Everglades. Those guys/gals are very familiar with cruise ship medevacs/nature of the beast. It would not surprise me if these were paramedic ambulances by AMR, as opposed to basic life support ambos

 

The local paramedics have a whole set of procedures in place for this and they've drilled on it. I was in line at Publix two weeks ago and one of the FLFD guys was in line next to me. He was explaining the whole run down to a woman in front of him in line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Don't know the situation inside the medical center Cherie; some are hooked up to ventilators; can't just unplug them and roll them down the gangway. Plus this is not a semi-routine single medical disembark; this is a group of ten 😉

If it wasn't so painful waiting to see the first passenger in need of medical help put in an ambulance and now doors closing it would be like a Laurel and Hardy comedy.  With the amount of time it took to put the ramp down, hand language, EMTs sitting with arms crossed, I would not have guessed that there was advance notice of this ships arrival.  I get the need to secure the patients, and I do not think it had anything to do with the Captain and crew but this absolutely bogles my mind.  I hope for the recovery of all of those in need of medical help.    Cherie 

Edited by cccole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Copper can you please explain these acronyms? Thank you. 

 

United States Public Health - USPH

 

Customs and Border Patrol - CBP

 

Security Officer - SECO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear - does the doctor need to accompany each patient off the ship to the waiting ambulance, then walk up the gangway to accompany the next person?

 

Not a prob/answered in another post 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

 

 

The  'plan'  I heard is for pax to board sanitiized buses at the ship, be transported to the tarmac at the airport,   go directly aboard those planes on thr trmzc.

 

They will not be in airport terminal and will not  infect any persons on the ground in FloriIa.

 

 

 

Thank goodness they are back. I wonder why once they get off their chartered fights, it appears they are allowed to join the general public on their connection flights home. I am not sure that is a good idea, and it seems to go against recommendations .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Not a prob/answered in another post 😉

Got it; sorry for the confusion.  I knew what I was thinking - I thought you did, too!  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Love the beach said:

I believe it's a drone.

 

It appears that way because of the camera located underneath the helicopter.  But not a drone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another patient off ship on stretcher.  6:22 pm

 

image.thumb.png.f1f51ddbc856254f0e10d3e570fe4192.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cccole said:

If it wasn't so painful waiting to see the first passenger in need of medical help put in an ambulance and now doors closing it would be like a Laurel and Hardy comedy.  With the amount of time it took to put the ramp down, hand language, EMTs sitting with arms crossed, I would not have guessed that there was advance notice of this ships arrival.  I get the need to secure the patients, and I do not think it had anything to do with the Captain and crew but this absolutely bogles my mind.  I hope for the recovery of all of those in need of medical help.    Cherie 

 

I hear you! All I can tell is that this is not a normal situation and, like you, I'm not there. As far as all the bystanders, after 30 years as a cop, I have developed a natural dislike for lookie-loos, Yeah, I know, curiosity........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2+2 said:

Thank goodness they are back. I wonder why once they get off their chartered fights, it appears they are allowed to join the general public on their connection flights home. I am not sure that is a good idea, and it seems to go against recommendations .

 

That concerns me as well.  See the HAL Press Release.  Some will not even go on chartered flights, the majority will but not all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMSACE6 said:

they are both real life heros, as well as their entire crew who have endured this and provided for their guests  during unprecedented times.   I was able to intermittently get on the webcams, but now am unable to.  all the front line workers, from ships crew, air crew, and of course our hospital folks, first responders.  All are heros in unprecedented times. 

looking forward to seeing Rotterdam dock too.

 

Oh absolutely for sure. No doubt about that. Can only imagine how they are all feeling now after all of this and now finally docked in Ft. Lauderdale.  I'm going out tomorrow to pick up a couple of prescriptions that I have been able to get filled early and have told my mom more than once that this will be it and no more. We are already in pretty good shape with food, etc but my 2 scripts can only be filled for a 1 month supply at a time. When I called my Dr. regarding one of them mentioned that I know that I'm probably due to do some blood work but said there is no way I am going to a lab to do it anytime soon. the comment back was "I don't blame you". No problem as a new script was sent. Called to check and it ready but the 2nd one had to be ordered and will be in tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patient now loaded in ambulance.  6:25 pm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, summer slope said:

I've lost the feed for the gangway.

The Helicopter that was providing it has left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...