How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, I think it's advisable these days. Chemist Warehouse have packs of 50 non-reusable masks for $59.99 and free delivery. I just bought a pack in case Sydney gets a outbreak. Then at least we've got something until I can get to a fabric shop to get stuff to make reusable ones. Our local shopping centre is getting a bit scary these days, too many people who aren't careful about social distancing. 😱

The ABC has an article today on how to make a mask. See

I am not handy with a sewing machine, but I am sure others are.

6 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

I've started making facemasks using leftover fabric from various sewing projects.  Found an easy tutorial on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FB--BOyTiU

I've also got plenty of thread ... does it matter if the thread collour doesn't exactly match the fabric colour?  LOL, don't fancy a shopping trip to Spotlight or Lincraft right now.  We are back into lockdown where I live.

Of course it doesn't matter if the thread doesn't match. You could even go for a complete contrast if your sewing is good enough.

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The ABC has an article today on how to make a mask. See

I am not handy with a sewing machine, but I am sure others are.

Yes, I've seen that before. I think it's based on one the CDC put up online.

A local alterations shop made some nice shaped ones and I still have one of those. They were pleated and had a strip of light wire, probably florists wire, on the top section so you could shape it close to your nose. Unfortunately they didn't use a good lining fabric so they didn't last through more than a few washes but it was better than nothing. 

6 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

LOL yes OzKiwiJJ - I was thinking of perhaps a few embroidery stitches just to joosh it up a bit!  Mmmm, maybe some sequins or bugle beads?  Now there's a thought! 🤩

Nah, remember you need to wash them in hot water. Sequins or bugle beads might not stand up to that very well. Not too much embroidery either, as it might compromise the integrity of the mask if there are too many stitch holes.

I don't have fabric scraps so would have to buy some. Bright and funky for me but DH will probably insist on boring black. 🤣

I’m not a coffee drinker but on the odd occasion I have one I want a nice one. When Mrs G got through almost 20 most days she would drink a International Roast, now that it is less than one a day she too wants the real thing, the only instant she even considers is Maconna

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, I think it's advisable these days. Chemist Warehouse have packs of 50 non-reusable masks for $59.99 and free delivery. I just bought a pack in case Sydney gets a outbreak. Then at least we've got something until I can get to a fabric shop to get stuff to make reusable ones. Our local shopping centre is getting a bit scary these days, too many people who aren't careful about social distancing. 😱

I have come to the conclusion it is not possible to social distance within grocery supermarkets, no matter how few people are in the shop.  I seem to be a target for customers to lean over me to reach for something, or to ask me important questions like "Is that a new brand of iced coffee you're buying?"  The spaced markers, where to stand at a safe distance at the check out, don't make me feel safer.  All I can do is try to spend as little time as possible inside the shop.  I prefer to shop at small street shops.

Ordered some masks today.. yes agreed supermarket shopping... one of those pastimes enjoyed way way back in 2019.... people just do not get social distancing .. to the point we zoom round and are in and out in ten minutes... and hate it.....

I was wondering if old princess bags would make good face masks......lol

and sorry   thanks for the link.. about the face masks.... but i am the lost with the 3 type of fabric

The Victorian Government recommends three pieces of fabric:

water resistant for the outer layer,       

blended for the middle layer, and

a water absorbing cotton fabric for the inner layer

Could it be :-

Old Princess bag

Old pajamas

Old handkerchief

( tongue in cheek... without biting it )

Cheers Don

• Like 1

Why am I not surprised Mic? Take what is a pretty serious subject...😁

For those handy enough to sew your own masks I salute you. Remember you pay extra for contrasting stitching so turn your standard mask into the deluxe model with some stitching flair. We have a school girl who is sewing masks here and she is adding a piece of pipe cleaner inside at the bridge of the nose. Green with yellow stitching would be a good neutral motif for the proud Australian that doesn't want anything too flashy. My mask is grey with giraffes on it, unfortunately there is nothing at he nose piece so my glasses fog up🤔

Edited by Blackduck59

Students from Prep to Year 10 who live in the areas of Victoria with level 3 restrictions will be doing remote education from July 20th for the remainder of Term 3 after an extra week of holidays. My seven year old granddaughter is very disappointed not to be returning to school after these holidays.

Leigh

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Or wear them as they were designed the second time.

That could lead to a whole new type of coronavirus infection. They are saying now it isn't just a respiratory virus but can infect other organs in the body. Respiratory is just the obvious one as the virus usually enters the body through mouth, nose or eyes.

Sunny day. pruned the roses and divided iris had too many to replant so gave them to others to plant.

Remembering happy times in normandy viewing the lovely thatched cottages with iris on top, apparently they assist with keeping the thatch dry.

Pretty place in spring, cooler in autumn. visited a cognac place and ate beautiful apple tart,

Thinking about masks. Hard to get early in the pandemic. Looked at making some but not skilled with sewing. probably end up buying some or making do somehow.

Reading about a woman fined for feeding her horse in victoria, now rescinded thank goodness. 

The big fear over here in NZ is break outs. We have had 4 so far “escape” from quarantine. They have Police ,Security Guards , even Military Police on guard but they still get out and put everyone else at risk .One smashed his way out and another actually removed the window and then cut his way through a security fence.....all to visit a liquor shop .

19 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The big fear over here in NZ is break outs. We have had 4 so far “escape” from quarantine. They have Police ,Security Guards , even Military Police on guard but they still get out and put everyone else at risk .One smashed his way out and another actually removed the window and then cut his way through a security fence.....all to visit a liquor shop .

How does one respond to that? They couldn't get a jar delivered? In Canada that could open you up to a $750,000.00 fine (yes that is the correct amount of zeros)

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That could lead to a whole new type of coronavirus infection. They are saying now it isn't just a respiratory virus but can infect other organs in the body. Respiratory is just the obvious one as the virus usually enters the body through mouth, nose or eyes.

Might lead to an annus horribilis

9 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

One smashed his way out and another actually removed the window and then cut his way through a security fence.....all to visit a liquor shop .

Oh dear that sounds like someone who has hit rock bottom😔. Might be time for an AA meeting.