How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

10 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I cannot say the same for our old Rissole. They went belly up and sold it to Wests for $1. The old members, who set it up, would be rolling in their graves.😒

The Malua Bay Bowling Club, just south of Batemans Bay went bust like your Rissole.  Cabramatta Bowls Club (Sydney), bought it, paid the debts, did a decent refurb, then a couple of weeks later it all got burned down in the bush fires.  But it is going to be rebuilt, bigger and better.  Not as big as our Rissole though, it is a Taj Mahal, like we used to call ye old St George Leagues at Kogarah, that was the in place back then.  Big shows, I saw Neil Sedaka etc there. In the days when a Schooner was 20c.

• Like 1

Took a look at the Website for the Soldiers Club is this similar to Our Royal Canadian Legion? If so you have a pretty posh bunch of Veterans in your neighbourhood. That would be a pretty high end establishment around here with $20.00 burgers and $50.00 steaks. Most of our Legions are in pretty tough shape, declining memberships and of course lost revenue with Covid 19.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

In the days when a Schooner was 20c.

20c! I used to go to the Sunday morning sickies at the Mayfield Rissole. The Schooners were 18c. You should have heard the outcry when they put them up to 19c. 😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Took a look at the Website for the Soldiers Club is this similar to Our Royal Canadian Legion? If so you have a pretty posh bunch of Veterans in your neighbourhood. That would be a pretty high end establishment around here with $20.00 burgers and $50.00 steaks. Most of our Legions are in pretty tough shape, declining memberships and of course lost revenue with Covid 19.

It is the tourists and local residents like me that spend the money in there Lyle, not the returned servicemen and women, of which there are few these days.  Membership was $10 I think for 3 years.  But if you reside 5 km radius from the club you can come in as a guest, that is the law in NSW for Registered Clubs.  Of course it is the poker machines (you would call them slots?) that bring in the revenue to build these clubs.  There are some monster clubs around, particularly in the western suburbs of Sydney - big population base.   

Your Royal Canadian Legion is akin to our Returned Services League, they call the local soldiers club, ex Services Club or RSL club home, have their meeting there and commemorate Anzac Day with a dawn service, two up and rum thrown in later.  The registered club business is big business in NSW. Not so in other States, smaller versions.  But like any business if they have poor or crooked management, boards of directors etc, they will fail and many have, Covid has added to their woes.  Apart from the RSL Clubs, aka 'The Rissole' you have heard us discuss, other sporting bodies, like golf and bowls also have similar clubs.  Drinks, food, gambling and entertainment in some.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

20c! I used to go to the Sunday morning sickies at the Mayfield Rissole. The Schooners were 18c. You should have heard the outcry when they put them up to 19c. 😁

Wow, when I tell the young lads around here about the first time I was in a pub (not legally mind you) in 1975, beer was 25 cents a glass they laugh at me. When I was actually legal in 1978 it was 50 cents a glass. We had what was known as a "pony" which was half a jug, and the Jug. I don't recall what they cost. I still have a pony somewhere, it followed me home one night. 

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle,the RSL clubs in NSW built their palaces on gambling. Poker Machines started in 1956 and at first only NSW had them. Big clubs were built across the border from VIC and QLD to lure the interstate day punters. Today New South Wales is second only to Nevada as the most gambling machine-packed state in the world. The clubs have suffered from falling memberships over the years, as the old Diggers have left us and competition from other venues.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Cheapest I can remember a Schooie was probably about 1966 when they were about 15 cents.  But you were only getting $50 a week pay back then. I don't drink beer these days being a coeliac, but I think a Schooner at the Rissole is $6, or $5.50 for members, the more you drink the more you save.  I know a Bundy (dark rum) and Coke is $7.50 and a glass of De Bortoli plonk is $4. 

Edited by NSWP

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Wow, when I tell the young lads around here about the first time I was in a pub (not legally mind you) in 1975, beer was 25 cents a glass they laugh at me. When I was actually legal in 1978 it was 50 cents a glass. We had what was known as a "pony" which was half a jug, and the Jug. I don't recall what they cost. I still have a pony somewhere, it followed me home one night. 

Prices compare to here.  A pony is half a jug? A 'pony of beer here is a 5oz (142ml) glass, like the lawn bowlers had after each end of their game.  One sip and they are gone, but they probably drank about 20 ponies back then.  Other size beer glasses, vary according to State, but in NSW are a Seven (7oz) Middy (10oz) Schooner (15oz) and pint.  Of course you don't get the full amount, that volume includes the head.

Most popular in NSW is the Schooner, aka Schooie or even Laguna.

There endeth your beer lesson for today, Lyle. You will be a ball of knowledge by the time you arrive in the Colony.  Crikey I am feeling thirsty, only 1.5 hrs to go to happy hour.🍷

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Lyle,the RSL clubs in NSW built their palaces on gambling. Poker Machines started in 1956 and at first only NSW had them. Big clubs were built across the border from VIC and QLD to lure the interstate day punters. Today New South Wales is second only to Nevada as the most gambling machine-packed state in the world. The clubs have suffered from falling memberships over the years, as the old Diggers have left us and competition from other venues.

The big golf and country clubs on the NSW/Vic border used to have bus loads of pokie fiends (mainly women) come over from Victoria to NSW to play the bandits in the halycon days, the 70's.  Now the Mexicans have pokies in pubs, but not the big clubs.

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Lyle, did I tell you that Aussies like to gamble?

"The Economist put Australians at the top of the list of the world’s biggest gamblers, losing about $1,144 per person per year."

Some would bet on two flies crawling up the wall.😅

What you call a schooner is a pint here (Even though it's metric) we don't really have ponies anymore. The one I have is from the late 1970s it's glass I'm not sure where it followed me home from. The jugs which I think hold 5 glasses, are all plastic now. Lynn doesn't enjoy the pub scene so we rarely go, she also doesn't like most beers so no jugs at our table. Every once in a while she will try whatever I'm enjoying and if she likes it, I find it disappears with little help from me.

Edited by Blackduck59

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The big golf and country clubs on the NSW/Vic border used to have bus loads of pokie fiends (mainly women) come over from Victoria to NSW to play the bandits in the halycon days, the 70's.  Now the Mexicans have pokies in pubs, but not the big clubs.

The Twin Towns Services club at Tweed Heads is very impressive. Before Covid, they had some top line performers there. To give you an idea how close it is to QLD, on the left side of the photo is the NSW/QLD border marker.

Twin Towns Services Club Limited – Wharf Street Redevelopment ...

Being a little older than the average punter here I started drinking when a schooner was 11pence, and a pint was 1 and a penny. Celebrated 3 birthdays with my mates at the local pub, the last one being my 18th.

While the names might differ, this is the key principle: there’s a name for a large (425ml) and small (285ml) size in every state. Most (but not all states) use schooner for the larger size, but the options for the smaller one vary considerably:

State Small Large
NSW/ACT Middy Schooner
Victoria Pot Pint
Queensland Pot Schooner
Western Australia  Middy Schooner
South Australia Schooner Pint
Tasmania Ten Schooner
Northern Territory  Handle Schooner

Other sizes do appear. In every state other than South Australia and Victoria, a pint will get you 570ml. (In SA, that’s an imperial pint.) A 140ml beer (really, why bother?) is known as a pony in several states, but it’s far from universally available.

Remember: these sizes only apply to beer on tap. If you have a “senior moment” when you’re in another state, ordering a beer that’s only available in a bottle will avoid using the wrong term. That said, asking for a schooner will work almost everywhere, but you’ll also get sozzled somewhat faster. Except in South Australia. Those names are just weird.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Cheapest I can remember a Schooie was probably about 1966 when they were about 15 cents.  But you were only getting $50 a week pay back then. I don't drink beer these days being a coeliac, but I think a Schooner at the Rissole is $6, or $5.50 for members, the more you drink the more you save.  I know a Bundy (dark rum) and Coke is $7.50 and a glass of De Bortoli plonk is $4. 

here you go, have a can on me.

from lovely Dromana on the Mornington Penninsula

880C0286-3149-4176-B54A-CE5CBDAD12D3.thumb.jpeg.871b698a88ea294095b675ebc0dd346b.jpeg

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

While the names might differ, this is the key principle: there’s a name for a large (425ml) and small (285ml) size in every state. Most (but not all states) use schooner for the larger size, but the options for the smaller one vary considerably:

State Small Large
NSW/ACT Middy Schooner
Victoria Pot Pint
Queensland Pot Schooner
Tasmania Ten Schooner

Other sizes do appear. In every state other than South Australia and Victoria, a pint will get you 570ml. (In SA, that’s an imperial pint.) A 140ml beer (really, why bother?) is known as a pony in several states, but it’s far from universally available.

Remember: these sizes only apply to beer on tap. If you have a “senior moment” when you’re in another state, ordering a beer that’s only available in a bottle will avoid using the wrong term. That said, asking for a schooner will work almost everywhere, but you’ll also get sozzled somewhat faster. Except in South Australia. Those names are just weird.

Well you now have me remembering my college years...a college bar ..The Buddy Buddy Club..In Staten Island, NYC in 68..a  pitcher of beer was $2 (60 oz) and a pint or medium was $.50. (16 oz) .  I was a year too young, but drinking for the first time after 12 years of an all girls catholic school. Regardless, I did graduate with high honors and a masters degree ???

30 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Well you now have me remembering my college years...a college bar ..The Buddy Buddy Club..In Staten Island, NYC in 68..a  pitcher of beer was $2 (60 oz) and a pint or medium was $.50. (16 oz) .  I was a year too young, but drinking for the first time after 12 years of an all girls catholic school. Regardless, I did graduate with high honors and a masters degree ???

Not to many brain cells killed in the pursuit of happiness. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

State Small Large
NSW/ACT Middy Schooner
Victoria Pot Pint
Queensland Pot Schooner
Tasmania Ten Schooner

Mic, if ordering a beer in Victoria, I would ask for either a pot or a schooner. I found a different list to yours -

Beer-Sizes-Australia-Poster.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

It is, water views from the Restaurant/Bistro and lounge bars and Asian & Australian cuisine.  They are well heeled the built a massive Bay Link building to the rear of the club and leased it to the Federal Govt for 99 years, houses, Medicare, Centrelink etc, a call centre in the Bay Link as well as face to face.  The club also owns the big Esplanade Motel, opposite the club.   Must have had good management and Boards of Directors over the years to accumulate the funds. The club last year had a $5 million  big refurb. 

Running a club is a licence to print money thanks to the poker machines.

The amounts they get are astonishing, it's a great gravy train, hence the massive lobbying when government hinted at possible restrictions. You should check out the Penrith club some time...

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Running a club is a licence to print money thanks to the poker machines.

The amounts they get are astonishing, it's a great gravy train, hence the massive lobbying when government hinted at possible restrictions. You should check out the Penrith club some time...

Indeed, been to Penriff Panthers, and Mounties and Liverpool catholic club, Blacktown workers, mega clubs, get lost in them. They have hotels attached, ie Mecure, all owned by the clubs and the pokies keep spinning.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It is the government's cash cow as well, gambling taxes taking over from smoking taxes.

That is why the nsw govt opened up the pokie palaces quickly.

16 hours ago, Docker123 said:

here you go, have a can on me.

from lovely Dromana on the Mornington Penninsula

880C0286-3149-4176-B54A-CE5CBDAD12D3.thumb.jpeg.871b698a88ea294095b675ebc0dd346b.jpeg

Not seen them, have to look. Tried other gf beers, oBriens and hahn make one, not to my taste test. The obriens gf is $80 a carton, not worth it.

Edited by NSWP

17 hours ago, By The Bay said:

The Twin Towns Services club at Tweed Heads is very impressive. Before Covid, they had some top line performers there. To give you an idea how close it is to QLD, on the left side of the photo is the NSW/QLD border marker.

Twin Towns Services Club Limited – Wharf Street Redevelopment ...

Great club been there many times and stayed in the attached resort with pedestrian covered overpass linking resort and club, a lot of of big name performers there.